The Weekly Vlog

Addiction is a Disease (Yes, an ACTUAL Disease)

I was on the phone with a close friend recently, and she was talking about why we do what we do when we follow Bright Line Eating. Something she said really struck me, and when I realized I hadn’t recorded a Vlog about it yet, I knew I had to rectify that immediately. Watch to hear my thoughts.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Katherine Young

I love seeing the acknowledgement that if treated as such, food and eating is an addiction. I’m a recovering addict with 8-years clean and I go to AA and use the 12 steps for my recovery. I have struggled throughout my recovery with my weight because one of my many addictions that I was totally out of control with was Ritalin, a prescription I received for ADHD, but I didn’t take it the way I was supposed to, was manipulative and over-prescribed and I didn’t need food while I took it. I loved it because it kept me a size 2-4 when I am naturally a size 12. I love my sobriety and shudder when I think of the person I was then, and Thank God for my sobriety today.
    My point is, I’m eager to join the BLE movement as I need to escape the same head games I play with food and staying thin, restrictions, etc. I recognize the addict behavior as what I did with my drugs, the binge and the dopamine release, then the guilt and shame, and beating myself up. I’d love to have recovery with food. I related to the comment above about remembering being centered on food as a child… I’d want to know if we were going out to eat if we were running any boring errands, because that would make it worthwhile. And if I was going over to a friend’s house, I would harass the friend to ask their mom or dad or grandma (wherever we were) if we could have a snack. Everything I did was all about what there was to eat there, and I’m also extremely picky, which is annoying as hell and doesn’t really fit into the whole picture. One would think I’d eat anything and everything. But no. No seafood, no meat, no eggs, no mushrooms, and it’s weird all about smells and texture, and nothing that was living once… Thank you for letting me share❤️

2. Jill Wilkerson

Yes, I’ve known that addiction is a hard core disease for decades now and that knowledge has helped me kick drugs, nicotine, alcohol and other (obvious) addictions EXCEPT FOOD! INNOCENT-LOOKING FOOD IS HARDER TO KICK THAN ILLEGAL (EVIL) COCAINE! I’VE COME TO SEE AMERICA AS A NATION OF OBESE “HEROIN ADDICTS”…OUR HEROIN BEING: FOOD! BLE is on the frontline of the movement to move us out of denial and into health.

BTW Susan, I’m glad to see that you’re focusing more on the topic now instead of getting lost in the lengthy personal blog-junk details like you used to do. These shorter, more succinct vlogs get my vote and my attention. And they’re more powerful, too. Thanks for the change.

Most of all THANKS FOR LOSING THAT SILLY KNIT HAT!!! It was a distraction that made you look, well, silly. Sans the silly knit hat, don’t worry– you don’t look too serious or less personal. You still look accessible but far more credible. After all, you are the only doctor I’ve ever known (or even seen) who is often seen sporting a silly knit hat! ;oD Sans the hat, you look much more like what you are: a true leader and professional.

3. Donna

I believe I have been born with this disease, because I can remember binge eating until I was sick at my earliest of memories, 4 or 5 years old. I always wanted more until I was sick all the time or whenever I could. I wasn’t a fat child, because I was very active, but I was always looking to binge eat until I would get sick and then I had to stop. I remember in the 3rd grade eating going to a friends house for their family dinner and when we were done, they left food on their plates and I proceeded to eat the food they left even though I had eaten dinner with them and was stuffed. I didn’t eat just emotionally, I just always had constant craving, until BLE and I stopped sugars, flours and artificial sweeteners completely. I don’t crave those foods anymore. I have never known life without this “disease” and I am 65 years old.

4. Elisabeth Handler

This stopped me in my tracks. I heard it very clearly. I have been “doing” BLR for 3 years but since the pandemic started I have been serving in and out of the ditch. I hope this vlog helps boost me back onto the blessed road, where I do the next right thing in the hopes of motivation coming back.

5. L

A good kick in the arse and reminder that every action has a reaction. The brain is a powerful components of our daily functions and we should respect a wholistic approach to keep our choices in check to insure independence and mobility to live the best life possible.

6. Alice

Could you add an auto-generated transcript to your Vlogs?

Hi Alice, we have this setting directly on YouTube! To get there click the “Watch on YouTube” button on the video above. Once you’re there you have two options: turn on the closed captions by clicking on the “CC” next to the gear icon on the video (when it’s turned on, it should have a red line under the button), or you can turn on the transcript by clicking on the “…” next to “Save” under the vlog title and then click “Show transcript” (this will show you the transcript as the video is playing or you can scroll through and read it on your own. I hope this helps! 🙂

7. Celine

Wooh… I kinda knew this and heard whispers but to hear you rubber stamp it makes it all very real. Dis-ease in any form is no joke. Lots of love and compassion for myself and all fellow BLE-ers.

8. Crystal

I am concerned about my youngest sister, who may be addicted to Whopper burgers. She is very overweight and I can advise, but she has to be willing to put in the work. My father and I are probably the 2 healthy people in my family. Both my sisters and their husbands, esp. my youngest sister, are overweight or obese. Glad I do not eat out now. I am on a very specific diet for my health problems and do not overeat like my sisters do.

1. Jill Wilkerson

Hey, Crystal.

Stop advising, criticizing and judging your sister who might be addicted to Whoppers. You’re just making things worse for your sister(s) and even for yourself by pouring all that negativity into the mix. The best help you can give your sister(s) is to contribute constant, non-judgmental, unconditional love and support. Your attitude that you “don’t overeat like your sisters do” says that you think you’re better than they are AND THAT IS NOT LOVING AND SUPPORTIVE. If you truly love them and truly care about their well-being, show them only love. ONLY LOVE! Lead your life the best way you can and let your life model for them what health is like. Your good example is the best lesson you can give them. Let them go and lead their lives their own way, while you do the same.

If you are not able to make loving and supportive contributions to your sisters lives and let them alone to live their own lives, do yourself and them a favor: end all contact with them until you are capable of making positive contributions to them and capable of letting them live their own lives without your “advice.” Because what you’re doing now is hurting them and even hurting you.

1. Crystal

I haven’t said anything to her about it yet. Heart disease runs in my family and I am concerned she is going to end up being next if she keeps going like this. I don’t talk to this sister much anyway. My father had a heart attack at 58. His father had one and died at 62. I never knew my grandfather for that reason. So, there is a family history. I am getting myself evaluated for it as well, though I am at a healthy weight. This is just from seeing them last Christmas.

Your email address will not be published.

Important note!

You are viewing this website in English and our Membership materials are currently only available in English. We have a goal to translate the Membership into many other languages as soon as possible, but for now, if you join the Bright Lifers Membership, please note that our programs will be delivered in English.

Important note!

Join Our Email List

By submitting this form, you’re agreeing to receive emails from Bright Line EatingTM. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your email address will NEVER be shared or sold.

Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions