The Weekly Vlog

Eight Reflections on 48 Years of Life

Today is my birthday, and I thought since June 29th happened to fall on a Wednesday this year, I would shoot a Vlog on eight reflections I’ve collected over my 48 years on this Earth. Watch to hear them.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Crissa

Thank you, Susan! Your vlogs always give me great food for thought. 🙂

As for your last point, I’m not sure if you were saying there is wisdom to be found in the fresh perspective of a child OR wisdom to be found in the philosophies/ beliefs of the next generation.

If it’s the former, I definitely agree. I have a son who asks me the most brilliant questions – ones I never thought to ask but now ponder! I have a daughter who teaches me to closely observe and appreciate caterpillars and snails. But your example of Zoe’s beliefs about gender does not fit here. Her perspective does not come from the fresh, innocent perspective of childhood. She has been *taught,* probably by people of our generation, to think this way. Whether or not that’s a good thing is a separate issue, but it would be naive to think children are coming up with it on their own!

If your point was that there’s wisdom in the beliefs of a new generation, I would agree that there *can* be. But to say that the ideas of the new generation must be good and right is just as much of a logical fallacy as to say that everything from the “good old days” is good and right. I want to accept beliefs that are *true,* which will not include all those that are trending.

1. Allison Gessner

Well put, Crissa.

2. Allison

Rituals of pronoun exchanges are silly and annoying. Participating in this seemingly innocent practice helps to normalize a regressive ideology that is causing tremendous damage to young people, gay people, and women’s and girls’ rights.

3. Allison Gessner

I do not consent to my membership payments being used to push transgender ideology. If this continues I will cancel my all-access membership, which is a terrifying thought for this 10++ food addict. Nonetheless, I’m here for food freedom, not political brainwashing. Gender is neither a spectrum nor a matter of personal choice. SPT conflates the rare (0.018%) condition of intersex (conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female) with transgender (identifying as a different gender than was observed at your birth) (Wright, 2020). Pronoun rituals are extremely effective at normalizing and institutionalizing the abolition of biological sex in favor of gender identity. These rituals take advantage of children like Zoe Thompson, creating confusion and playing on her compassionate nature to achieve compliance. You might censor me by deleting my comment. If so, I will definitely cancel my membership and broadcast my reason for doing so.

Reference

Wright, C. (2020, December 8). Intersex is not as common as red hair. Retrieved July 6, 2022, from https://www.realityslaststand.com/p/intersex-is-not-as-common-as-red

Allison, I am terribly sorry your response to this week’s vlog is feeling so insurmountable. This is really such a huge decision in any food addict’s life to leave a program that has given them so much in terms of recovery. Especially when you are higher on the Susceptibility Scale. Our intention is to never harm others, although we recognize that not all people will agree with us, all the time. Bright Line Eating will always take a position of inclusivity rather than divisiveness when it comes to gender identification. I want you to know we always stand at the ready for you with loving care and trust that you will move forward as best you can, either staying or going, which will most certainly inform your journey as you move ahead. Steady as you go. Peace be with you <3

1. Crissa

I appreciate your gentle reply to Allison. But I would like to ask you to consider if this line is actually true: “Bright Line Eating will always take a position of inclusivity rather than divisiveness when it comes to gender identification.”

Gender identification is a divisive issue, and surely you know that. Yet you chose to include the topic in your vlog. It has nothing to do with food addiction, and it has the potential to make many of your followers feel alienated. There was no need for you to address it at all. People come to you for help with food addiction. They’re not looking for moral instruction.

Please consider that Bright Line Eating is the one being divisive by bringing up this issue. I feel bad for Allison and for the many others who will not speak up.

1. Allison

Thank you!

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

Crissa and Allison,

I am truly sorry that this aspect of my vlog left you feeling upset and alienated. I want you to know that I’ve read your comments, as have multiple members of the Bright Line Eating team, and you’ve given me, personally, really good food for thought as I consider what to address in the vlog and how to best keep Bright Line Eating a safe space for all to feel welcome and included. You are heard.

With love,
            Susan

4. Randi Urbansky

Susan Is it all possible for you to tell me where you got the scientific information about the brain having 3 parts of the brain that get genderized, hormones and sex organs, and they all can be tenderized differently? This is great information that I haven’t seen or heard before which is so valuable to me for understanding! I am a grandmother of 2 transgender children but I don’t know where to start looking for this bit of news. Also, I can’t express to you how much I appreciate you sharing #9 of your personal journey. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

1. Randi Urbansky

I am embarrassed that I didn’t check my text for my computer’s mistake. NOT tenderized differently – genderized differently

1. Randi Urbansky

Thank you, not only for the information you have just given me that has blown my mind and turned into hope, but for your gracious prompt response to my request! I am eternally grateful.

5. Sue

Happy Birthday, Susan! Blessings to you!

It’s not money that is the root of all evil, it’s the love of money.

[1Ti 6:10 NKJV] 10 For the love of money is a root of all evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

6. Jan

Happy birthday Susan. Your vlogs are always inspirational, thank you!

7. Anne

Happy birthday Susan 🤗🎈💐

8. Harley Jane

In six-plus years of avid listening (and possibly never commenting) this is my favorite vlog! Thank you for the outpouring of wisdom. It kinda blew my mind. And definitely made me cry.

Thank you for your sweet words, Harley Jane! We sure do appreciate you being an avid 6-year listener! 💚

9. MaryEllen

Money is not the root of evil, BUT the “the love” of money is the root of evil. We need money to live but not love for it.

10. Sally

“Turn breaks into breakthroughs.”
    I love that!

I am 46 this year. I appreciated hearing your reflections. It inspires me to do more of that.

11. Diane

Thank you for sharing Susan. I love hearing what other people have learned in their life, it is such rich food for thought.

12. Donna St john

Happy birthday from me too! I was challenged to forgive someone and to pray for them!

13. L

Happy birthday! It was a lovely vlog . Love Wednesdays!

14. Christine

Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing.

15. Joanne

Susan these reflections were a lovely gift to find this morning (Australian time zone). I have been fortunate enough to have sixty trips around the sun
    But still learning and gaining wisdom and refreshment from others. I am so grateful to have found BLE – it has impacted every area of life. I loved the 70% idea you shared, money as a fractal and choosing not to view life through a lens of regret, and really, really becoming aware of those stories we tell ourselves and slip into almost subconsciously. Heroes all of us 😊 Happy birthday 🥳 xx

16. Jeanine

Susan,

Your spirit shines and is a gift to all! I pray you have a beautiful birthday and year ahead. Thank you for sharing your life and learning and love. You make a difference to so many.

17. Alice

Happy Birthday Susan! I am so grateful for you and your BLE movement! This week is my 6 year anniversary with BLE and I’ve lost a total of 18 pounds but more importantly I’ve been freed from the struggle with binge eating thanks to your plan. Thank you so much for all that you do and I hope you have a wonderful birthday!
    Alice

18. Joseph

This one belongs to the ages! What a fabulous birthday gift to all of us. Thank you Susan!
    Joseph in Missoula

19. Elizabeth

I really appreciate your openness and open-mindedness, Susan! Great vlog!

20. Sue

Always so wonderful to hear your perspectives, ponderings and reflections – loved this VLOG. Happy birthday!

21. Persida Rivera-Mendez

Happy 48th Birthday! Blessings for many more. I loved your vlog today. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

22. Megan

This year, I wish I spent more positive energy toward positive reflection on my birthday. I got a great job and started my Brightline journey. I lost 15 lbs in the first 5 weeks of my plan and the 5 weeks leading up to my birthday. Instead of a cake, we went as a family for a 19 mile bike ride.

While I don’t think the blame/forgiveness applies to every situation, I can see the value in letting some stuff go.

23. Stephani H

This might be my favourite blog ever, thank you Susan and happy birthday.

Thank you especially for the last piece of wisdom…learning from not only our kids, but from all of the younger generations, is such a blessing of wisdom. We gain wisdom from our elders, but we often forget the wisdom that comes from looking at the world without decades of preconceived notions and “beliefs”.

(sorry that this originally showed up as a reply to another comment!)

24. Gail Johnson

Yes! Happy Birthday and thanks so much for your insights! I am looking forward to having my husband listen to this and talk about the successful marriage part!
    You are amazing and deserve the very, very best!

25. Kris

Happy Birthday Susan💐🎁! You are truly a gift to all of us!

26. Stephanie Smith

Acts 6:10 For the Love of money is the root of all evil.
    Money is not evil but making it your number one priority is.

27. Hrrmina

Happy Birthday Susan. Loved the vlog!

28. Laura

Sorry to correct, but the admonition about money is from the Bible. It is saying not just money, but the love of money, an excessive attachment by disregarding morals, decency and best interest for oneself and others. It’s when the dollar has more value than a human being and the choices that arise from that place.

1. Stephani H

This might be my favourite blog ever, thank you Susan and happy birthday.

29. Jill Goldman

wow, susan, happy birthday! what a fabulous vlog today. loved it. love you! thank you. all the best for a fabulous year ahead!

30. Laura H

Happy, happy birthday Susan! I admire your perspective that others who have different views and perspectives aren’t necessarily evil, but have different experiences, feelings, upbringings, etc. under their belt. I aspire to really looking at problems from many different angles and if possible, getting to the root of the issue, not just symptomatic treatment. I think that’s what BLE does on many levels. It answers and addresses so many flavors, if you will, of the problems, obstacles, causes etc of weight troubles. From the psychological to the physical and everything in between.

31. Meg

What kind of vinegar are you using that is 120 calories?

1. Stephanie

Seriously since it has 43 calories p-er cup.

2. joseph

Balsamic has 15 calories per tablespoon or about 120 calories per 1/4 cup. A huge, extra-large salad may take 1/4 cup. And if oil is added the calories shoot higher.

1. Jo Lynn

There are 4 tablespoons per 1/4 cup, so that’s only 60 calories. That’s a LOT of vinegar for one salad! I typically use 1/2 oz. (which is only 1 tablespoon) with no problem.

3. Marti

Be very careful with balsamic vinegar! It contains more sugar than other vinegars. And we don’t do sugar in BLE. I love balsamic vinegar, but I avoid it because the sugar is a trigger.

4. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

Explanation:
      Balsamic vinegar is 15 calories per tablespoon and I was doing about 5 tablespoons per salad, plus about 40 calories of nutritional yeast plus the juice of one lemon., in addition to my 1/2 oz oil.
      Eliminating all that (but keeping 1/2 oz oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar) cuts out about 100-120 calories.
      But I wasn’t thinking in terms of “cutting calories” when I shifted….just thinking in terms of keeping my food simpler.