The Weekly Vlog

Addicted to Quantities

I have to confess something: I am so addicted to quantities. I experience tremendous freedom around sugar and flour, which I’m very grateful for, but I’m struggling with my quantities right now. Watch this week’s Vlog to hear what has happened to me over the last few weeks.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Jo Hirsh

Good that you realized changes needed to be made with eating out. But consider that every day counts. Every morning presents a fresh start. Going “back to day 1” would seriously trigger my perfectionist side and bring on all sorts of self criticism. So today is my 1112 day with BLE, and I accept them all, bright and not-so-bright.

2. Laura

Restaurants are tough. They are inherently a “treat” of sorts, an indulgence, a splurge for some people, and maybe that association still lingers beneath the surface. I can see that point where it would be hard to deny that part that wants “a little extra” anymore than getting a massage and saying, okay work on every part but the legs or feet. Or going on vacation but saying don’t see any sights until 4 p.m. If there is a mindset or part, even not aware of the association with eating out and it being something special, I would think extra caution would have to be applied.

3. Connie

Thank you so much for your transparency and honesty….I appreciate how you took responsibility….you could have kept this situation to yourself but a true leader will admit their mistakes , correct them and move forward. 😊 Thank you!!!!

4. Janet Lynch

Please go into more depth about how to order in restaurants and how to control quantities.

1. Ellie

I used to take my scales to restaurants but I found this put a bit of a downer on the evening as others wanted to let loose with their food choices out for a special meal. I’ll often call ahead and say I need their help to work around my allergies to sugar, flour and grains. I avoid restaurants where sauces, coatings are a fundamental part of the menu if they aren’t able to accommodate naked proteins. I’ll ask for steamed veges and a side of butter or olive oil so I can control the quantities, same with salad. When everyone else eats dessert I order a herbal tea and if the meal is going to be way later than I’m used to I tend to eat my veges at home before I go out and order an entree sized meal or just a steak, piece of fish or chicken. So many people are carnivore or vegan, vegetarian no one really notices these things anymore.

Hi Janet! This information is covered in our Boot Camp modules inside our Membership program. 🥰

5. Ellie

This vlog alone makes me want to join ble. Your honesty and vulnerability speaks to my own situation of 2 years plus abstinent and finding myself slipping sliding back to binge and restrict. I want to start over too, the only barrier is being scared of tripping over my ego and laying my halo to one side that suddenly feel a bit fake. Thanks Susan

Aw, we’re here with open arms when you’re ready, Ellie. 🥰

6. Helen

Brilliant brilliant clarified a lot for me. Susan your honesty is so encouraging. Honesty without shaming oneself facing the truth of this disease, becoming responsible and accountable in a practical no bs way is so freeing. Thank you so much.

7. Bob

I have a friend who has long time recovery in one of the 12 Step food programs. Everytime I have eaten with him in a restaurant, he asks for two plates , one for his meal and one empty. When the meal arrives, he puts half the food on the clean plate. He’d then ask for the formerly clean plate to be put into a doggie bag.

Easy peasy.

8. Thais Abernethy-McClure

What does it mean to go back to day one? Don’t understand

1. Janice

If you’ve broken your bright lines, your consecutive-bright-day count goes back to 1 on your next bright day

1. Thais Abernethy-McClure

Oh thanks Janice. I appreciate it

9. Kim

Susan, I can SO relate to this! I often do not join friends or family at restaurants because it trips me up. If there are multiple changes required to make menu items BLE-compliant, I avoid going because I know if I go, I will not stay in the lines, either purposefully or inadvertantly. The restaurant setting and the close proximity, availability, and variety of NMF is just way too overwhelming for me, even 1 year into BLE. Incidentally, I don’t have issues with grocery shopping (maybe because the social dynamics are different?), but restaurants are a HUGE issue for me. I appreciate your honesty in this area because it is the one I personally struggle with the most, hands down. It’s good to know I’m not alone in this. P.S. I’ve never brought a scale to a restaurant and if I felt like I would need one, I would opt not to go at all. I am a 10++ on the susceptibility scale and I am not a crystal-vaser (and probably never will be), but I have lost almost 60 lbs! 🙂

Ah, excellent insight, Kim! We love how you recognized that if multiple changes are needed, then it’s too triggering of a place. 🥰

10. Kim Hehr

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing🥰

11. Stephanie Smith

Restaurants are notorious for oversized portions. Unless you order plain meat, potato, and veggies, you often have no idea wha you are eating.
    Have you tried ordering child size portions?

12. Lorie mcmasters

As usual your vlog was ” meant for me!” So grateful that you are here for us.

13. Sarah

So appreciate your honesty + transparency. It’s so valuable

14. Mary Rose

OK, I’m really confused now. Why aren’t you using your scale at restaurants as you teach us to do?

Hi Mary Rose! It’s an individual choice that’s offered in Boot Camp, whether to use a scale in restaurants, eye-ball your portions if you’ve become practiced at it, or stick to a one-plate rule. 🥰

15. Allison Gessner

I have heard you talk for a long time about having slippery, not-so-bright food behaviors in restaurants. And I keep wondering the same thing: If you’re really good at being honest with the scale, and not good at being honest without it (left-brain interpreter takes over), then why not use your scale at the restaurant? You’re so open about your addictions and your life, I’m curious why the resistance to weighing in restaurants. Is it a rebel part or some part that’s embarrassed to use the scale in public?

Your email address will not be published.

Important note!

You are viewing this website in English and our Membership materials are currently only available in English. We have a goal to translate the Membership into many other languages as soon as possible, but for now, if you join the Bright Lifers Membership, please note that our programs will be delivered in English.

Important note!

Join Our Email List

By submitting this form, you’re agreeing to receive emails from Bright Line EatingTM. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your email address will NEVER be shared or sold.

Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions