Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

Borderline Foods

Recently, I was scrolling on social media while I rest and recover from COVID, and I saw someone posting pictures of their BLE food where just about every picture had a waffle in it. Now, I don’t know what the waffles were made of, but it got me thinking about an important topic for this week’s Vlog. Watch to hear my thoughts.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Sammy

Waffles can be just red lentils (Protein) and water! And delicious. But I get the pint of borderline foods.

1. Sammy

Point, sorry.

2. James

I am in off-again BLE mode. I’m not completely out of control – but not losing weight either. I’m reexamining my old bag of BLE tricks and considering some new ones. – 1. Don’t eat while watching TV – especially at night – when a so far so good day can be ruined 2. Get enough sleep. Those are the 2 biggies.

3. Deborah Summers

I appreciate this vlog. It’s a good warning and I’m glad to know about the science. I would like to share my own experience. I started BLE back in 2015 and lost over 100 pounds (still was not at goal weight). But I have to say, I really didn’t enjoyed my food. Breakfast was pretty good. Lunch okay … dinner, not so much. Even though I kept to the program for months at a time, I still was not enjoying my food. I was glad to be losing weight and felt much better about myself. But I really wasn’t sure I could eat that way long term. So I got off track when I picked up flour and fiddled around with that for over a year (not good). Then I was on again, off again, etc. I retired at the end of 2019 and when Covid hit, I picked up sugar. So you know where this went … gained back all my weight. 2020 and 2021 were not good years for me. Awhile back, I ran across some “borderline” recipes. I experimented with this and that, but was not totally committed. Then I changed to the two-meals a day plan which I really prefer. I did try some muffins and pancakes at first, but I hardly ever eat those now. Mainly, I am finding new vegetable salads or roasted vegetables, or some compliant “casseroles” and I love to add spices for flavor. I often add yogurt dressings and I do use cheese. But for me, these changes have made all the difference in the world. I am enjoying my food. I have gone 132 days with my lines perfectly compliant, and have lost 40 pounds. I feel much more content. Since I am a 10 on the susceptibility scale, it is possible these borderline recipes will derail me in the future. But for now, they are the only thing that is keeping me on the program. And I feel much more confident about long-term success. Thanks for all you do Susan. I am glad you are getting better. So grateful for this program and all you do to support and teach us!

4. Catherine

I have noticed that a lot of the food pictures on the BLE Facebook page have been designed to imitate the appearance or the name of NMF. This has always irritated me with any diet program and I think one of the refreshing things about BLE is that it’s not pretending to make peace with these foods but just in a “better, healthier way!” I know Susan that you probably have an employee who attends to the daily admin tasks and posts the recipe pictures, however I wanted to bring this to your attention if you are not advocating for this way of thinking and eating.

Hi Catherine! We don’t post food photos very often on our social media channels for that very reason. And–similar to the cookbook–very few of our own recipes are mimic recipes. The one exception to this is our Facebook and Instagram Stories. Our social media team often reposts community members’ photos in our “stories” (which disappear after 24 hours). Recently, we’ve made a concerted effort to not repost mimic foods or baked goods. If you do see any photos that you find triggering or problematic, please PM us on whatever channel you see it. Our social media team is very receptive to feedback and we want to ensure that we’re meeting our community’s needs. 🧡

2. Jennifer

This is actually why I, sadly, had to stop following the BLE Instagram page. I found it triggering. 😢

5. Katy

Susan,
    This vlog is just a wonderful primer to the new Maintenance Course! Rest up! We will be here when you are well and ready! 🙏🏻

6. Toni

Thank you for addressing this topic! I’ve been pondering it for some time, and you really broke it down and articulated so well the pros/ cons of choosing to eat borderline foods. Also, it’s always helpful when you share your insights as it relates to you as a 10. I’m so grateful for the education and support I’ve received through your work. Thank you so much!!!

7. Jill Gorsuch

THIS IS SO SPOT ON!!!! I like to say that I am shifting my “quality of life” touchpoints away from food to other, more meaningful things. I’m only 36 days in so I am pretty much eating the same 5-6 meals. I bought the cookbook, but it’s too dangerous, at least at this stage. I had the Ezekiel bread and I can take it or leave it; I’m indifferent to it. But last night I shredded some horseradish cheese on top of my grilled chicken and it mentally took me to the beach with a glass of NMD in my hand! NOPE. No more of that “favorite” cheese. If it’s something you loved in the past, chances are it will undermine your mental healing. I’m going for indifferent….which is less than I feel about my hot baths; I do look forward to those immensely.

8. Cindy

I can’t even tell you how on point this Vlog is! You have spoken about sexy foods before and I’m rezooming for the 100th time – BUT I have parts work under my belt and working them with the plan and guess what – I’m feeling on the ball this time – The last time I fell off wasn’t too long ago – and I had made some ‘sexy’ BLE foods – and I fell off…they were too ‘sexy’ for me …So back to the basics! and honestly – I’m not at the point where I can say I’m not thinking about foods all the time – but honestly simple is better – call me experimental! I want that freedom – and I will get it….I’m doing the hard work! and this all makes so much sense to me — and that is why I remain here!

9. HeatherDouble

Thank you Susan for this vlog. Thankful you are healing. Good Job. This vlog is excellent and please keep it coming. Same walk, same talk and I continue to need your wise, clear, brilliant truth. I want to also thank you all for your shared comments. I concur and appreciate you tuning in. Spot on for me . I may have only Bright Line eating foods in the house and yet slowly and methodically blow it…..eat, and then eat, and then……I concur with sexy foods being like a trap….doesn’t work for me. But we are all different critters. Love to all. Keep it coming for my eyes and brain to learn. Have a super day.

Is it time to raise your support bar, Heather? Food is only one piece of the plan. 🧡

10. Marti

I am so glad to see that you look so much better, Susan! Hang in there! This too shall pass! Continue to wear those Bunny Slippers!!!

11. Rena

Actually, I make my waffles from red lentils. They’re in my fridge and I toast them with a meal. Would like to recommend another book for you to read: Choose Your Story, Change Your Life: Silence Your Inner Critic and Rewrite Your Life from the Inside Out by Kendra Hall. Works really well with parts theory for me.

12. Lyn Hudgins

I myself feel triggered with fat in food so eating whole plant based seems to keep my lines bright. I do need to watch my nut consumption due to the fat content.

So important to be aware of our own triggers, isn’t it, Lyn. 🧡

13. Joseph Fleischman

I’m so glad that you’ve improved so much this week. Whew! It must have been quite a ride dear professor!
    Joseph in Missoula

14. Sherri Healey

This is such an individual issue, as not everyone is the same and I am so grateful that we get to decide for ourselves as there are no bright line eating police. We have to police ourselves and use our support systems and the coaches to verify the information and data we collect. I actually struggled harder in the past eating the super simple, plain food and had years of relapse but since I have been eating some of the foods mentioned here, getting support and following the plan and all the things suggested we do, I have been very successful in keeping my lines bright. I finally feel “normal” and at peace with my food and I am in my right size body as a 10++ in maintenance. This is not the case for a lot of people, and I realize that. I do understand the problematic pull of some BLE compliant / borderline foods as I cannot eat rice cakes for example but have no trouble eating Ezekiel. It doesn’t make any sense to me, so I just monitor myself and am extremely honest with myself and use my buddies to stay accountable. My bright lines are of the utmost importance to me as it has been a long, hard road to get here with endless amounts of scientific experiments being run on my part LOL but because of you and Everett and this BLE lifestyle for months now I finally feel comfortable in my own skin. It is truly a miracle! I know you say there is no judgement here in our community around this subject, but it sure feels that way at times with some of the passive aggressive comments and because of this I do not feel comfortable posting what I eat, so I don’t. However, I do text it to my buddy every night and that works just fine for me. Again, I think this comes down to taking the foundation of BLE and tailoring it to our individual needs and honoring our differences. We are all different, this is not a one size fits all plan. Just because it doesn’t work for you does not mean it won’t work for me and I get to decide with the help of my support team. I so understand that this is a complicated, somewhat controversial topic for a lot of people but if we could all just realize that we are only human with all our good intentions, and with all our parts doing the very best we can, just trying to navigate this life, with integrity, dignity, and kindness. Thank you so much for all you do Susan, and I am so glad you are doing better, we truly cannot do this without you! Forever grateful to be a bright liner, bright lifer and I will JFTFP ODAAT never wandering very far from the mothership!

It’s a nuanced journey, for sure, Sherri! It sounds like you have supreme support and your highest self on board, and that’s so critical to long-term success. 🧡

15. Jo Lynn

Great vlog, Susan! So glad you spoke on this subject. I have tried some “sexy” BLE compliant foods and found it interesting that they typically don’t satisfy like my usual food does. I wanted MORE and had to fight the urge to break the quantities line. Not worth it for me! However I know plenty of bright liners who say they wouldn’t be successful in BLE without the compliant borderline foods. It’s a gray area for sure. Thank you for helping me think this through.

16. Dee Fay

Thank you Susan! One of the best Vlogs ever! In my old program, they called it euphoric recall—trying to recreate old binge foods with compliant ingredients. You changed my whole way of thinking when you did the Vlog on Umami and the adiposity set point. In March of 2019, you offered a 30 day simple food challenge. I did it and it reset my whole mindset. I keep my food super same simple and it works best for me. My hats off to those who can eat with more sexy choices, but for this 10++++, it’s dangerous. I could see the sparkle and compassion coming back in your eyes. You shine when you’re teaching. Love you so much Dee Fay

1. Marti

I fully agree with Dee! I am also a 10++++ on the Susceptibility Scale. I simply CANNOT eat sexy foods because they trigger my binge and graze Food Indulger part. I also keep my food super simple and it works best for me too. It took some time to do the mindset change, but today I know that my brain is severely addicted to sugar, flour and starch, and that none is better than some. Moderation and competent eating most definitely do NOT work for this 10++++er!!! With lots of trial and error I have managed to cut out all foods which trigger binges and grazing. Some people think I am mad, but I simply don’t care. My method works for ME, and that is all that matters. I avoid ALL grains and beans (with and without gluten), as well as fruit (except for avocados, olives and tomatoes, which are fruit). I discovered that I lose weight when I cut out dairy completely, but I am not there yet. Sometimes I go without dairy for a few weeks, and then sometimes I still eat dairy. Dairy is to me what coffee is to Susan: sometimes she drinks coffee, and then she abstains for a while, and then she drinks coffee again. The important thing is: TOTAL HONESTY!!!! You have to observe and document your brain’s reaction to various food types very carefully to figure out what works for YOU personally. Nobody else lives in your body and nobody else lives with your brain. Only YOU can be honest with yourself and decide and choose which foods to eat and which foods to avoid. It takes a lot of patience to persevere on this BLE journey, but the reward of living in a healthy body makes it all so worthwhile! Will I ever go back to my old foods? No way! I NEVER want to be obese and depressed and unhealthy and unhappy and desperate ever again!

How wonderful that you know what works for you, Dee. Sticking to those simple foods to pave your path for success. 🧡

17. Becca Pronchick

Thank you Susan. May you feel all better soon! 💗

18. Linda

You are light years ahead of where you were last week! So thankful! The science was falling out of your mouth without effort just like we are used to. Don’t come back too soon but we can hardly wait to hear that you are feeling your very best!!!! So much love and healing prayers coming your way. <3

19. Victoria G Miller

I love this vlog Susan- thanks SO much for addressing this topic. My brain responds really well to simple food, and I keep it that way, mostly. I love being neutral and Bright 😊 So glad you’re feeling better💞

20. Nancy

Susan, you are beautiful! I really LOVE your short hair!!!! You look so young and “almost” vibrant!!! After covid we will add VIBRANT!!!!!

21. Cheryl Phillips

So glad to hear you’re improving, Susan! You mentioned mono—I had that when I was a teen and took beta carotene drops to help me heal. I wonder if that would help get over COVID? Just a thought. Praying for your complete healing! I’m glad you’re enjoying your down time. You deserve it!!