Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

Marijuana

One of the Bright Line Eating coaches recently suggested that I shoot a Vlog on marijuana because there are members of our community who are struggling with their use of it. I initially didn’t know what I’d say, but the more I thought about it, I realized I had some interesting points to discuss. Watch to hear them.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Peggy

I am a BLE member since April 2019. I am a psychiatric prescriber for children and adolescents. Many people are not aware how cannabis (not pure CBD) use has changed significantly for users in the last 5 years. When people describe using previous to then, unless they were steeped in cannabis culture and use, they were only using the plant products, not concentrates of shatter, dabs or oils. The highest THC content in buds is about 34%. THC content in dabs ranges from 60-80% and oils 90%+. Using concentrates at these high levels is a quick and much more potent hit to cannabis receptors (the endocannabinoid system) , which is connected to reward and appetite receptors and has “cross talk” with opioid receptors. All cannabis use, but especially high TCH content (including edibles), can lead to addiction and major psychiatric problems, including anxiety and psychosis. THC use for medical purposes, including anxiety, is often in the low range and not at the level of recreational use. I offer this so that those who might be struggling with this in addition to NMF are better informed about the current state of cannabis, not the past, which many use as a reference point in discussing cannabis use.

1. Diane

Thanks, Peggy. This is great information

2. Jacqie Shartier

Susan I know you didn’t address medical marijuana – I have been using 2 drops a day for 3 years for pain. Your thoughts welcome.

Much thanx

3. Jorja

Thanks SPT, I’ve found this a really helpful vlog so I’m glad you did do it 🙂
    Not pot but most of what you say also relates to me for computer gaming addiction – “cross addictions”?? Using the four questions agains my gaming, so easy to see it is an addiction for me NOT a helpful or neutral coping behaviour. Another layer of the onion peeled towards my highest and best self. Thank you for sharing your extensive and valuable wisdom 🙂

4. Nina

A wise and balanced, very thought-provoking vlog. If this is the quality of your other vlogs, I’m going to pay more attention to them!

5. Zita

I’m also on medical cannabis oil. Mine is low THC 1/20. Thank you Susan for this VLOG and addressing this topic and the effects of cannabis on our brain chemistry. I was given the choice of opiods or cannabis oil and chose the latter as it appeared a healthier alternative. Prior to making my decision I looked into the appetite increase that we all hear about. The research is inconclusive, from what I have seen, however cannabis users tended to be on the thin side. When this was studied, researchers found that cannabis users had more brown fat. Brown fat burns energy, unlike regular fat, and from what I understand, is leaner. Brown fat has a lot of health benefits and people take ice baths to encourage their body to convert fat to brown fat. I chose low THC, to avoid the addictive and psychotropic response that cannabis is known for, while enjoying it’s pain relief and health promoting aspects. My main concern with opiods was their affect on intestinal health, my body’s ability to detox, and it’s addictive nature. The choice was clear, for me. It’s not something I’d do recreationally. Meditation, healthy eating and habits, activities that bring me joy, as well as learning how to deal with life’s major stressors through courses like Susan and Everett’s, help me to face my feelings and not eat over them or reach for other addictive substances. If I’m going through something stressful, there’s usually other people also affected and I want to deal with these situations before they become ingrained limitations to my life. I can’t do that if I block them off with temporary comfort.

6. Gail Johnson

I am so glad you addressed this- I actually mentioned it as a possibly topic for the Bright Holiday content .I was using pot for stress in dealing with caretaking for my 90 year old parents, with mom having Alzheimer’s. It helped me be in the moment, extra silly to make her laugh and really lowered my anxiety BUT I did have problems with the munchies. I could go for days or weeks and be OK cause I just didn’t want to release the numbing. I did realize it was totally escalating and that there really wasn’t peace around it. I quit completely last November and am much more able to see the negatives that I was in denial over. When I stopped using, I immediately noticed how impatient, resentful and grouchy I had become. All the normal stuff for a full time caregiver who wasn’t taking care of herself and had been stuffing those feelings without considering what I really needed. When I heard about a retreat in Maui with Everett Considine, I knew this was exactly what I needed – a healing retreat! I signed up without knowing how I would get caregiver coverage, how I would pay for it or how much support I would get from family. As a spiritual person, I turned it over to God and everything has come together as validation that , yes, this is what I really needed. I am very excited about going!
    The one area I really miss it for is with enjoying intimacy with my husband and I have used several times more recently before a regular meal. I am still watching but so far it seemed to work.

1. Zita

Elderly parents are a major stress point for me too. Good on you for trusting God and signing up for Everett’s retreat. It sounds amazing! I hope you learn things you can do every day to recenter and bring back your joy. I usually need to walk outside, to alleviate stress, or meditate and pray. Parts work has given me another tool to work with. Much love and prayers for your journey Gail.

1. Gail Johnson

thank you!

7. cheryl coan

Very interesting,, I grew up in the Emerald Triangle in No, Ca. I know pot. I was a grower for many years, that’s when it was black market, we made bunches of tax free money. I myself didn’t like it, even though it was in my life everyday. And this I do know, and that is that it effects most people differantly, some eat, some sleep, some anxiety, etc.etc,etc. It was not my drug of choice, food and booze that was me. All I can say is thank God for BLE.

1. Zita

Hi Cheryl. It’s still illegal in Australia, so a lot is grown hydroponically with all kinds of weird chemicals added. It’s caused a lot of people permanent brain disfunction/damage. My son has pointed out friends who were normal and now nonfunctioning adults. From that stand point, legalisation can’t come soon enough. That way regulations might be imposed to protect users. I’m glad you’ve left that life behind and you’re safe. I thank God for BLE too. Having Susan’s help guiding us through is invaluable!

8. Holly

Thank you so much for this. The timing was spot-on for me. I am on day 4 of no weed, the longest I have gone in years. It resonated hard when you asked the 4 questions. I do have a medical marijuana card, but my use had seriously escalated from occasional, to nightly, to multiple times a day, to all day every day including before driving to work in the morning and immediately when I got home. I know it’s not everyone’s story, but for me it reached the level where I did not feel at peace about it, where the thought of having to stop smoking in order to plan for pregnancy felt terrifying and potentially impossible. In addition to smoking I had started putting alcohol and sugar in my coffee in the mornings, having sugar, fat , and alcohol after dinner, and just a few days ago I finally decided enough is enough and I needed to prove to myself that I can stop. I’ve already felt benefits I did not expect, like being more able to regulate my emotions—which I told myself I was helping with by smoking or drinking. Personally I was fooling myself that these things were resources for me, but it’s clear now I was absolutely in that space of cross-addiction. Even my spending was escalating as my brain looked for more and more dopamine. This vlog and the perfect timing gave me a huge boost of confidence that I’m doing the right thing and that I can accomplish it because I’m taking steps to help my brain heal (including different therapies 3 times a week, somatic work to help with pain and trauma, etc). It means a lot that you addressed this topic in such a thoughtful, non-judgmental yet straightforward way. Thanks again.

1. Diane

What a journey you’re on Holly. I’m sending you love and hope for continued abstinence x

1. Holly

Thank you for such a kind response, Diane! Very much appreciated 🙂

2. Emily

Holly, This is a courageous undertaking. Please know there is a program called marijuana anonymous (MA) that is a 12 step based support group, based on the principles of AA. In case you need to know, there are meetings all over, many on zoom now, worldwide, one google search away. Wishing you the best in your recovery journey. 😉

1. Holly

Thank you Emily!

9. Amelia Jordan

I’ve never taken marijuana so will skip this VLOG. Wish you’d stick more to sugar and flour and our eating program….

1. Grateful

I respect your thoughts. I have tried it a few times in my life and only once during my BLE journey. That very day, I binged and broke a 370 bright days streak…and was in the ditch for months to come. A valuable lesson. I made the connection eventually that it was due to the marijuana. That’s just my story. I think this vlog is very helpful to many.

Hi Amelia. We understand that not every topic will resonate with or apply to every person. This topic came up, as Susan explained in the vlog, because some of our coaches had community members asking about marijuana use and how it impacts their Bright Line Eating program. Susan speaks directly to how we, as food addicts, should think about this substance. In the Weekly Vlog, Susan speaks to issues that impact the great variety of people within our wonderful community. 🥰

10. Diane

Thank you for this vllog. I have never been addicted to pot, but my son has. He’s past that now, but has to be ever vigilant, just like me with food. I figure that if anything, substance or behavior, lights me up and leads to cravings for it, it is time to add it to my ‘no go’ list because my mind is geared to addiction.

1. Barbara

Tell your son congratulations!

You are a wonderful mother for understanding and showing him, unconditional love.

1. Diane

Thank you Barbara, he’s a pretty amazing human 💕

11. Jessica Weber

If you are a former addict, you shouldn’t use. See NA or AA.

12. Beth

I use medical marijuana, and was using it when I began BLE 3 years ago. I have been very successful with BLE, even while using cannabis. I don’t have any problem sticking to my bright lines. I understand having the munchies, and having it increase my appetite. I can’t explain scientifically why it’s not bothering me anymore, but it’s not. I just don’t feel pulled to eat off-plan due to cannabis use. If I eat off-plan, it’s always an emotional decision, not one driven by cannabis.

1. Barbara

You are very lucky. I am eating in the middle of the night… CARBS.

13. Barbara

I am a 9/11 First Responder on Medical Marijuana. It is a medical necessity.

It is incredibly difficult to keep on the diet without the munchies. It doesn’t matter if it is medical or not… and it is now legal. Can’t put it in the same category as cocaine. It’s in the same category as alcohol.

How does one stay on the diet when taking marijuana?

1. Diane

I’m sorry that this is your experience Barbara. I’m on medication for epilepsy and a listed side effect is weight gain, but food cravings are a thing, as borne out by chat threads on The Epilepsy Foundation website. The answer for me is that I need the epilepsy meds to avoid seizures, so I embrace BLE wholeheartedly. It is how I eat, no deviations because not only is my mind susceptible on its own, but my meds join in the party as well. Wishing you well.

1. Barbara

Are you on Gabapentin? I’m on that and a side effect is weight gain. Another one with weight gain lol.

1. Diane

No, different meds. It’s not easy to have meds that cause weight gain, but it’s not impossible to fit it into BLE plan. I’m not trivialising your situation but for me doing BLE wholeheartedly and with loads of support is the key

1. Barbara

I totally understand! I’m on steroids and a million other meds that cause weight gain.

You are right. It isn’t impossible. Just incredibly difficult!! Congrats on staying on plan.!