Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

None Is Easier Than Some

The other day, I was out to dinner with one of my kiddos, and after we ordered, a bunch of NMF (Not My Food) was brought to the table while we waited for our meals. I decided to have a small taste of the parmesan cheese sitting in front of me, and the experience that followed is probably one you can relate to. Watch this week’s Vlog to hear all about it.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Annie

SO HELPFUL!!!!
    “NONE IS EASIER THAN SOME.”
    “I DON’T NEGOTIATE WITH MY TERRORISTS.”

Thank you Susan and Jacqueline Boyle for sharing this!
    Loving you both! and all the other sharers, supporters, journeyers.

2. Marianne

Oh my gosh, I so much long to become able to do so… still struggling with amounts…

3. Pat

This is one of the core distinctions between BLE and other approaches to weight loss, isn’t it? BLE is based on the premise that “none is better than some.” That’s an abstinence approach to addiction. It has worked for me when everything else has failed. However, WW, intuitive eating, and other approaches are based on the premise that “some is better than none.” They are based on a moderation approach and assert that rigid, extreme avoidance of certain food leads to food obsessions and bingeing on the forbidden foods. Or worse, an eating disorder, and that’s where a lot of the criticism of BLE comes from. Polar opposite approaches.

I think the BLE model is amazingly effective for some of us, but I don’t think that “none is better than some” is true for everyone. I know plenty of people who can moderate all types of food and drinks and manage their weight through portion control. I wish I was one of them.

Absolutely, Pat. We recognize that Bright Line Eating isn’t for everyone. Look at Susan’s husband David, for example–he’s a 2 on the Susceptibility Scale. There are some people who can eat one cookie and walk away and never think about it again. Those who are 8, 9, or 10 on the scale would be obsessing about it for hours and likely polish off the entire box. Certainly, as you said, some folks can moderate themselves just fine. For those who can’t, Bright Line Eating is often a life-saving solution. 🧡

4. Melanie

Off topic.
    Dr. Susan, how are your teeth so white? What do you use?

5. James

Can you talk about “none is easier than some” in context of competing dopamine circuits. The simple, powerful pleasure (yes, pleasure) of feeling hungry.

1. Marie

I have no idea what that means

6. Marie

I think this plan is too drastic for most people, to have to give up flour and sugar takes great will power.I have tried it and did not last a week,I was constantly thinking about food and watching myself in case I slipped up.I had to practically give up my social life and make excuses for why I could not join in with my family and friends at meal times. Did anyone else have the same experience as me.

1. Melanie

I did it for the 2 weeks and felt amazing and actually lost weight. Once I stopped though I gained it all right back. So it’s a lifestyle change that I have to get prepared for.

Hi Marie! Were you doing so with the support of the Bright Line Eating Boot Camp? We give you so many tools in there to bridge the Willpower Gap. You should NOT be relying on willpower to stick to any food plan. It’s a recipe for disaster, so to speak. Boot Camp gives you a whole host of tools to put in place to ensure that you are not relying on your willpower and also tells you ways that you can re-stock your willpower. 🧡

3. Janet

I felt similar to Marie. It made me obsess about all the foods I was giving up. Weighing and measuring go against internal eating cues. I felt depressed and always like I was failing when I could not restrict and abide by this plan. It is unrealistic for many people. I was a 10 plus and I feel much better trying to do intuitive eating and yes forgiving myself if I eat some “nmf” and I still want to live and enjoy food. All good is allowed in this world. Restricting leads to bingeing. I don’t want to obsess and avoid people and situations around food. I think it can cause eating disorders. To each his or her own.

7. Tim Beatrice

Perfect Mantra !

8. L

something so simple is so complicated. This can apply to both the physical and mental aspect of self control. Without that first taste, the mind won’t wonder and trigger the indulger. Indeed one simple taste can set off a full blown conversation with self to press repeat. ‘None is easier than some’ is now posted on my computer screen because ‘some’ invites the inner critic to have a field day at my expense….

9. Maureen

I love the ” None is Easier than some.” It resounded with me and is easy to remember if I am ever having a “moment” . I am on my 2nd time of starting up BLE. Day 18 and down 13 lbs. Reading the book has made it easier and more understanding that this isnt just another diet. People ask what I am doing and when I tell them ” No Sugar / No Flour ” they are NO ! especially when I say no sugar of any kind.
    Lots of people do not want to let go of the artificial sweeteners. Their nutrition says ,,, diet pop is better than regular pop. No pop is better than any pop. (or Soda depending on where you are from )
    I love listening to the vlogs, reading comments , recipes, and seeing pictures. All are inspiring.
    So understandable, relatable and inspirational !!!

10. Marie

Sorry but she looks too thin in the second picture, much better with losing less weight

1. Janet

Yes agreed. Some people look like they lose too much weight on this controlled plan.

2. Stephanie Smith

I agree with you. She does look too thin. I thought so when I first saw the picture.
      I had a couple of friends do WW and when they hit goal weight they looked anorexic.
      I happy for here that she lost her weight but I think she may have lost a bit too much.

Hi Marie, Janet, and Stephanie! You might want to check out our most recent vlog from Susan as well. 🧡

11. Helen

Wonderful another gem of wisdom to use as a tool to stay clean. Thank so much to both of you 🙏🏿💖.

12. Judy

Oh, dear Dr. Susan, I LOVE this mantra, via Ms. Boyle! “None is EASIER than some.” That mantra, along with a BLE breath, or two, is sooo simple, yet sooooo profound! Thank you for sharing it in your vlog, today. xoxo

13. Athena

Fantastic! The pictures are amazing and speak volumes. They give me such hope that I too can release my excess weight that I have been carrying for years. I loved the mantra “none is easier than some” and the conviction of “I don’t negotiate with my inner terrorist.” So helpful! Thank you Jacqueline Boyle and Congratulations!

And Susan, what I love about you as I am getting to know you through BLE (not personally yet), is your honesty and your willingness to show that you are not only advanced in this work, but human too. So many leaders ALWAYS present the “correct” image but what is delightful and makes a person more approachable is their humanness. So thank you once again for another great vlog.

14. Ariann

I totally agree. I also like Valda’s comment. If I don’t buy it and it’s not in the house, then I don’t want it. If it’s in front of me, I have difficulty rejecting it. That’s why I don’t eat out much. I tell them to take away the bread and condiments if I do go out–danger territory.

15. Janet

This sounds so sad to me. I could never stay on a plan that believes some is easier than none and give up so many foods for a lifetime. I will live with my extra 15 lbs bec some is better than none to me. I am amazed at how many peo can do this program and kudos to all of you. It is not for me.

1. Stephanie Smith

If you are a Food Addict it could be a matter of life or death. I have a friend who is a food addict. Her Achilles’ Hell is BBQ Potato Chips. Sweet, Salty, Greasy and crunchy
      She had bariatric surgery. She told me that someone at work brought Skinny Pop. So she figured it could not hurt. So she had some and then she had some more
      until it hit her. I have to stay away from it. Being 15 pounds overweight is not the same as being 150 pounds overweight.

1. Janet

True. I scored 10+ a while ago but I could not stick to this plan. You are right. I want to lose some weight but it isn’t life and death for me. Watching or hearing that Susan are a little bit of cheese and that saying just seems crazy to me. It is my opinion. Some people look and sound like they have eating disorders. If it is life and death and that works for you then it is great for those people. I have to navigate around all foods and I believe nothing is off limits within reason.

Hi there, Janet. We understand that it seems extreme to some. But food addiction is such a tough nut to crack. We need food to survive. But what we don’t need are the processed sugar and flour that trigger our addictions. Food addiction is real. An analogy we often reference is alcoholism. To say that a food addict should be able to indulge in moderation is akin to saying that an alcoholic should be able to have a tasting of wine at a restaurant or a glass of champagne on New Year’s Eve. For those who are addicted, there is no such thing as moderation. 🧡

2. Cathy Abrahamson

Great VLOG subject!! Every time I have started any diet I’m told a little won’t hurt me , and that I am an all or nothing person. It used to bother me to be told that that. I finally owned it and agreed it is true—a little is harder than none!!

16. Barbara

Reminds me of One is too many, a thousand is never enough.

17. Nancy Goss

So easy to remember! I love it! None is better than some!

18. Stephanie Smith

Sounds like you are trying to justify eating the cheese. Personally I would not be tempted to eat parmesan cheese.
    The bread YES.

19. Valda

Something I learned at Weight Watchers was: it’s easier to say “No” once in the store than it is to buy the food and have to say “No” 100 times at home. That’s one of those nuggets of wisdom I’ve carried around with me for many years. That’s not say I always follow that advice but we all try our best.

1. Marian Carol Traub