Alcohol

I’ve released a Vlog nearly every week (with only a couple exceptions) for the last several years, and believe it or not, I’ve never specifically covered the topic of alcohol. Watch this week’s Vlog to hear the reason for that along with a detailed discussion around alcohol and Bright Line Eating.

Comments

1. Liliana Verduzco

I am low on the susceptibility scale however with the pandemic alcohol has been a bridge to eating way more than I usually do. Ive gained about 21 pounds in the last year and Its been extremely hard to get back on my BLE plan. Previous to the pandemic, I allowed myself to have alcohol here and there as well and was able to control it, not a trigger at all and I didn’t gain any weight…
    I am curious to see how things will change when I am able to get back to a routine and get back on track.

2. Stephanie Smith

A friend shared she gave up alcohol 2 years ago. Wine was her drink of choice. She said doing so helped her shed 40 pounds.
    It was not just the drinking but the cheese and crackers, nut, chips, pretzels etc., that go along with the wine.
    As for me I am not a big wine fan. I like hard liquor. I have a 3 drink limit always have. Do I have to have it? No. But I have probably drank more in the last six months then all of 2019.

3. RL Read

Hi Susan;

Thanks for this – but I find it really leans/is biased toward people with alcoholism, recovery, etc.

Bottom line is: I LOVE WINE – my indulgence while singing and cooking. Pairing with lovely food is “life”. I LOVE AN OCCASIONAL BEER – my reward for a hard day’s work in the garden.

Sorry – there is no way I would give up these small pleasures.

PS. I do not over-feed when I drink.

4. Sondra Horwitz

Dear Susan,
    About 10 minutes and 19 seconds into the video you use the term “mind wheel”.
    Is that a state of consciousness that rolls into place and who is responsible for coining that term?
    I read about that theory years ago and can’t remember where or who first used it.

Sondra Horwitz

5. Kim Romska

Thank you Susan. Great clarity that alcohol is sugar. For me it went exactly like the majority. Drinking led to eating. Food sobriety has led to alcohol sobriety and together they hold me in my BLE journey 🙂

6. Prima

Dear SPT,
    I have been doing BLE successfully since Oct. 2020 and have list clise to 30 lbs. I am 11 lbs away from goal and am definitely a 10 on the food susceptibility scale. With that said, I would say I am a 2 on an “Alcohol Susceptibility Scale.” Most of my life, I have hated the taste of alcohol. It has only been within the past 5 years that I found a drink I actually enjoy – Malbec red wine – but even so, one drink makes me tipsy & I hate feeling that way. So far, I have had maybe 1-2 glasses of wine per month on my BLE journey with no problems. One time – a decade birthday- I planned a drink, but it didn’t happen. I was not disappointed per se. Other times, my husband feels inclined to have a glass with dinner and offers one to me unplanned. I’ll drink one and be fine. The only thing that doesn’t give me peace around drinking is simply your belief that I shouldn’t if I am a 10 on the Susceptibility Scale. And, in that regards, I must admit I believe you are wrong in my case. I have never remotely called by alcohol and the because of my body’s sensitivity to its effects, there is an effective breaking mechanism in regards to my brain wanting to consume any more than a small glass. I think that perhaps you need to develop a new Susceptibility Scale – one for alcohol. I would argue that the food and drink susceptibility are independent of one another. That is my opinion from my experience, not that I have more evidence than one data point – me. I thank you for developing BLE. I am a recovering food addict & am committed to eating this way for life.

Thank you for sharing, Prima. Knowing yourself around food and alcohol is so important and it sounds like you know yourself well. 🧡

7. Lisa Smith-Addiss

Well done.

8. Sherri

What about cooking with wine? Would you consider that a trigger also and suggest to avoid cooking with wine?

9. Marsha Whiteman

How interesting and timely that you covered this topic when you did. I am a 10+++ on the S.S. and whenever I have deviated with either my food choices or enjoying alcohol, I have found that it swings open the big barn door, and I EASILY can start to slide into that realm of making other exceptions with my food. My bright lines become dim. My situation is similar to your last example. My sister and I, both around 70 years old, now live together and are BEST friends. Our husbands are gone and are kids are adults, with grandkids as well. We have a blast together and even though we live together and see each other all the time, we love to take our vacations together and go out to eat together. She does not have any weight issues. like I do. I love to have a glass of wine or try a cool new cocktail, BUT it does soften my fortitude to staying on my BLE eating plan, especially as subsequent days go by. I will be using your suggestion for how to talk to her about it. I have stopped drinking before but then let my defenses down and ‘joined the party’ with her. When you spoke about making choices through my higher self, it really spoke to me. Because I really, really do want to be free and have peace around this area, instead of agonizing about giving in, and the food choices I give in to when this happens. So thank you for the loving way you talked about this. I will be having the conversation with her soon that I hope will make all the difference.

Marsha,

Your relationship with your sister sounds like an absolute treasure. What a gift you two have in each other. Wishing you every success as you navigate your journey with alcohol. 🧡

10. Curtis

Thank you for this insightful vlog. I have been thinking about the possible re-introduction of alcohol once I reach the maintenance phase. The collective wisdom shared here helps put the matter into perspective. I will decide what to do when I reach that wonderful point in my recovery.

11. Izabela

WOW, you are speaking to me. I did not score high for food addiction (3) but I started drinking, a lot, and put on 60lb in few months. I needed to stop drinking completely because once I had ONE drink, I ended up drinking 4 bottles. Moreover, I would eat crazy stuff while intoxicated.
    I decided to STOP completely. It was hard for the first 2 weeks, but not anymore. I do not crave much NMF and the weight is steadily coming off.

12. MC

I am an average of 7 on the susceptibility scale – tested twice the results were 6 & 8. I drink 2 to 3 times a month and try and keep to 2 drinks maximum. When I can, I try to chose dry wines; seltzers, and light beer over heavier beers. I usually do not drink at home, which also curtails the amount and frequency. BLE is a journey and what I am finding out is that if I plan my meals correctly, I do better – even on the days that I drink.

I don’t agonize over alcohol. Having said this, sometimes I get concerned that I am beginning to like alcohol more than before – esp as I near my bright sized body. Is there any research about trading one addiction for another?

13. Sherill

Thank you for talking about this, Susan. I’ve been on maintenance for 2.5 years now.. (I’m a 7.) I don’t drink alcohol and I don’t miss it. My husband and I have a Happy Hour ritual before dinner. He has a glass of wine and and I have a glass of sparkling water. That works just fine. After all, it’s the time together that is important, not what we happen to be drinking.

Excellent point, Sherill! So glad you can have this ritual together and focus on your togetherness. 🧡

14. Diane

I appreciate the well spoken, loving way you handled this topic. I am a 7 on the food scale and don’t have trouble keeping my bright food lines. I do go back and forth with my alcohol lines. I know that if I drink daily I will put on a few pounds. Then I stop and they go off. My difficulty is that if I drink alcohol I fall into drinking a couple daily. Therefore I am now stayimg away from it most of the time because it’s easier to keep my weight at what I prefer. Thanks for the stories. It helped to understand where I fit into it and what is best for me. Xoxo

15. Susan

One thing I know about myself is that I can not drink alcohol. It ruins my lines and makes me feel terrible. I want to live in a right sized body and enjoy all that my body can do, sober.

Friends still pressure me to “just have one” but I know one leads to more and then opens the door to eating off plan. No thanks. I like myself without alcohol much better.

1. Diane

Thanks for sharing. I feel the same.

16. Nancy Nardelli

This is a difficult requirement of BLE for me. Alcohol is part of my lifestyle. I agree with SPT that it is a choice. BLE is a lifestyle choice and I have been completely AF for over 4 months now. I’m learning that I can still have fun and I don’t need Alcohol and Sweets to live a healthy and happy life. I’m a work in progress but then aren’t we all.

Yes, indeed. We are all working on our own growth each day, Nancy. 🧡

17. Willy

I am low on the susceptible scale. I could not do the absolute no alcohol. So I don’t. As soon as I allowed myself the ability to drink, I stopped drinking . It is painful because it’s part of the social fabric and I am left out with so many gatherings. It has made me even lonlier because of ble choices.

Willy, we are so sorry to hear of your loneliness and want to know how we can help. Will you let us know? Are you in Boot Camp or Bright Lifers? Do you use social media much? 🧡

18. Margaret Terris

I gave alcohol when I started BLE 2016..

1. Allison

I know this is a tricky one in BLE. I am a 10 plus.. a complete food addict.. However I do drink alcohol on BLE. It is always planned and I do not overconsume. I am totally at peace with this. Alcohol does not trigger me in the least. I am a social drinker but have totally neutral feelings about it. I can take it or leave it. I often don’t even finish the one I plan for. To me it is like broccoli.. I like it,, I enjoy eating it but I am never in danger of being addicted to it.. I am not sure why or how this is especially because alcoholism runs in my family. I would like to know where to take the alcohol susceptibility quiz.

Hi, Allison!

Super interesting how you related your experience with broccoli to how you feel about alcohol. We do not have a quiz specific to alcohol at this time. 🧡