Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

Conformity

In 1951, a study was published that has become incredibly famous to the point of being cited in every Psych 101 textbook. It was all about conformity. Watch this week’s Vlog to learn how the study was conducted and how it relates to your BLE journey.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. A Real Hippy

This explains so much. Conformity feels like an irresistible momentum around me that penetrates and moves hand to mouth.

2. Diana McInelly

Love this VLOG!!!! So thankful to be a part of the BLE community!!! 😄

3. cheryl coan

Susan a real hippy is non-conforming to what the world says .

4. Jeanette

Thank you for this information. I especially appreciate you always giving the research and who published it! I am struggling with holidays coming up, as part of my family are healthy eaters and half are not. Makes cooking for a very large group, (22) very difficult.

5. Pat

Another great blog ! Two things : 1. As I was listening, I thought about how I have reacted to situations that have called for conformity on my part. Proudly, I have never conformed regardless of peer pressure! It’s so interesting to hear about the study ! 2. I LOVE YOUR HAIR CUT, IT IS SO FLATTERING!! I’m glad you are back to the style that looks so good on you. 😊

6. Marti Van Reenen

First Big Food serves us all the manmade Frankenfoods which make us sick. Then Big Pharma serves us all the medications to “fix” the resulting diseases. Let’s stand back, observe the TRUTH, and REFUSE to conform, and say loud and clear: ” NO!!! NOT MY FOOD!!! NOT MY DRINK!!!” And live happily, thinly and freely ever after…..

7. Amanda Kay Creighton

Nice Krishnamurti reference :-). I so enjoy the way you bring what could be considered complex subjects to us. Thank you for your consistent presence.

8. Halette

Great perspective shift! How we survive in community, literally in evolutionary terms. Also, I LOVE our hair too. It is really interesting to me to witness myself being the non-conformist in some really difficult developmental years, work, and relationship settings and yet struggling with food, maybe not in the conformist by choice arena so much, as I don’t care much about what other people are doing or thinking about my different choices but as you said in cultural food developmental ways — such as kids parties, etc. Has anyone unraveled that in any research settings? As in, how to overcome marketing/advertising and cultural food indoctrination? I know BLE is the solution to eating choices, and to form new habits but underneath that is there a way to unravel the programing? To unroot the root cause?

9. Lynn

YES! YES! YES! Bravo Susan! I have been saying this to my husband and anyone else who will listen. I think you must go “against the grain” to be healthy. The evidence is all around us, in the schools, at the workplace, at our family gatherings obviously what everyone else is doing and eating isn’t working.

10. Ariann Thomas

So true. It’s hard to be different in a crowd. I thank BLE that I do not eat processed foods and have a healthy diet. The good news is I see the younger parents in my family are making good food choices for themselves and their children.

11. Ruth Porter

Great talk! I’m past working out in the world, but every day I face the
    choice of conforming to what my husband thinks would
    be a good meal. He knows I am a BLE believer. His diet is not unhealthy.
    I know I need to stick to my way of eating or I’ll be very unhappy before long! The subtle pull to eat what he’d like is there. If I have to repeat myself
    every day, then that’s what it takes. This is what I’m eating, thank you!

12. VFi

Extremely timely topic as we again enter the season of heavy holiday schedules and much pressure to conform to what everyone else is eating. Thanks so much for this excellent information AND application!

Absolutely. Great thinking to apply it to the holidays. 🧡

13. Janice

Oh my goodness, this was profound. Conformity is so applicable these days to many things, not just bright line eating. Some refer to this as the sheep effect.

1. Suus

That is excactly what I was thinking. It applies to many facets of our lives and if you hold on to your beliefs you’ll meet those who do that to. Birds of a feather …

14. Nancy

I love your short hair!!!! You look GREAT!!!!!

15. Joan Edgar

Nicely done! Saying in a group, “I am not a conformist around food choices and what I eat”, is a very cool response to any real or perceived food pressure around what everyone else is eating. Thank you!