The Acne Analogy

Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

The Acne Analogy

My third book, Rezoom, is going to be published this year on December 28th, and in the third chapter, I talk about the unique reasons why food addiction is, in my professional opinion, the hardest addiction to kick. In this week’s Vlog, I talk about one of those reasons and present it to you with an analogy. Watch to hear it.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Amy

Susan, I am stuck in that hell. I have been for more than 4 years. I know BLE is my best shot, and that why I’m still here…. but I’m so desperate and I haven’t been feeling unstoppable lately. I’ll try the 6 months of maintenence thing, but its hard to stay positive.

Hang in there, Amy! Do you have a strong support network around you? Perhaps talking through a switch to this maintenance plan with a Mastermind Group or a trusted buddy would be helpful. We’re sending you love. 🧡

2. Stefi

Dear Susan, You spoke loud & clear ! Thank you very much!!☺️

3. Peggy Mears

I am a 10 on the susceptibility scale. I am just starting BLE and after dealing with food addiction for 30 years knew I was in for a fight (with my body and mind). I am going to do this and conquer the addiction first and then worry about weight (the long game). I have a huge hunch that eating the reasonable quantities in the maintenance plan, the whole food involved, no sugar or flour, and no eating between meals will result in weight loss, just not as fast. Thank you for this video and a plan B for those whose addiction is the most severe. God bless.

4. Sherri A Healey

This message is exactly what I needed to hear. I am not stuck in the loop anymore but I am stuck at this weight. I have been bright for awhile now but I am grateful to hear from Susan that I need to just keep doing this for the 6 months and then reduce. Intuitively I knew to just keep going even though the weight wasn’t budging but it is so hard on your mental health. Thank you Susan for all you do and thank you for always acknowledging how profoundly hard food addiction is. It feels so good to be validated and heard.

5. Athena

Girl … you know your stuff! Thanks for loving us and helping us, no matter where we are at! Looking forward to the new book.

6. Curt

The timing of this message is remarkable. I have been in that phase where my body is trying to return to my previous weight. I have found it quite challenging to remain bright. Susan’s advice resonates with me profoundly. With it, I may avoid entering the cycle. This is a long game, a marathon, not a sprint. There is no rush because this is the rest of my life. Thanks Susan. You’re tops!

7. Steven

Susan, you are a special person.

8. Barbara Stones

Not good news but makes profound sense. Keep breaking my lines and rezooming with good intentions and hope. But it’s a viscous self defeating pattern that is getting reinforced physically and emotionally. It strengthens self doubt and a belief I’ll never make it.
    It will take a leap of faith to abandon a weight loss programme. Would really appreciate some more practical information about how to go onto a maintenance programme since I have never reached that point and have no sense of maintenance . And as I’ve understood it maintenance is a steady slow process of increasing quantities. It sounds like you are saying eat maintenance quantities but this is not a maintenance process. Do I need to go the full way or can it be in smaller increments? Does it need to be 6 months? Should I stop weighing myself?
    Lots of questions and some trepidation.

1. Darla

Do you have the book for Bright line?
      Many questions are answered there.

9. Laura Hildreth

Thank you so much for this very validating information. This is the way I have been doing BLE, not because of weight loss failure, but because of stage 3 kidney disease – where rapid weight loss would put my kidneys at risks. What I’m curious about (and what I’ve been playing with) is how far into maintenance to go.

10. Flor Zilka

Thank you for acknowledging the unrelenting pull the brain/body exerts to regain the weight. While it is terribly depressing I feel it is important for us to know what we’re up against and to realize it is not because we lack willpower or stamina. I reached goal weight and after about a year of maintenance with one add the weight began to creep up…by about 12 lbs. with that creep the cravings and “hunger” were constant. Still staying with it because I want to be healthy! Love you Susan!

11. JP

This is the most depressing vlog! The whole cyclic nature of addiction is draining. I was hoping for a more ‘upbeat’ message.

1. James

I agree with you, JP. It is darkly fascinating though how our brains can so betray our bodies – 250,000 years of homo sapiens evolution and so many of us are driven to destroy ourselves with food. I do find it comforting that this is now known from a scientific standpoint – thanks to SPT and others – not your imagination. Have you’ve ever had a conversation with a person who has never had a weight problem and received the oh so helpful suggestion – “Why don’t you just eat fewer calories?” – you think: Eureka! Why didn’t I think of that?

12. James

I”m 41 lbs into my 2nd BLE adventure – about half way home – feel great, confident. One of the things that derailed me on my initial run 3 years ago was body changes, loss of muscle mass, feeling like a bag of bones.
    I have considered slowing my roll so to speak over the past week or so – It’s interesting that you’d talk about going on maintenance to stabilize.
    I just reread the section of the book about what to add to weight loss BLE to create maintenance BLE – starting with a grain serving at lunch, then dinner, then add a fruit to dinner.
    I’ve lost 4 lbs per week for the past 11 weeks – so I’m not sure how much I’d have to add to stop losing weight. It would be a break not dealing with the body changes yet still feeling in control.
    Very interesting.

1. Caitlin

This is such a relatable perspective! I am 4 days into my first BLE 14D Boot Camp and I have given much consideration to HOW I will feel watching the fullness of my body change, revealing limp muscles. You’re not alone. It sounds like you have a great plan to handle the challenge!!

13. Judy

Dear Dr. Susan,
    I don’t drink alcohol, but as you were talking, I substituted the “wine drinking” with dark chocolate eating, to make the analogy personal, for myself! I tell myself that I’ll have just one piece of dark chocolate, because it has some health benefits, right?! Well, NOT when that one piece leads to a second piece, and then other refined sugars, and even more NMF items! So, being honest with ourselves is critical…stopping the additive behavior is what is paramount!! So, what a good tip for trying, when the weight loss-weight gain cycle is rampant!
    Thank you for these weekly vlogs, Susan…they are my BLE “lifeline.” 😉

14. Dominique

Thank you for this. I’m only 20 pounds from goal weight, and I’m not overweight, but I’m a 10 on the susceptibility scale. My issue is food addiction, not weight loss. I feel a little alone in the BLE world… And like a total failure, and like I don’t have a big problem. I can adjust my posture, wear loose flowing clothes and hide the pregnant-looking stomach… And survive like that. However, I don’t feel free. I’m so stuck in food addiction. No, I don’t really like your advice with the 6 months of maintenance, however it might be my ticket to freedom. Thanks for sharing this option. <3

15. Paulina Ordenes-Nunez

I love this analogy. BLE has been the only thing that has helped me with weight loss but not only that, the feeling of being in control is what pushes me to keep going. The cycle of gaining and losing is so vicious and so very real. The desperation of food is something I don’t ever want to experience in my life ever again. Thank you so much Dr. Susan Peirce Thompson.

16. John Anthony (Tony) Charles

Susan,

For me and the other 10++ food addicted Bright Lifers gaining and losing the same 5 to 10 lbs over the last 1 to 3 yrs in my Gideon Games and MMGs, This sounds like music to our ears. Why do you say, you won’t like this and you probably won’t do it? We’ve tried everything else BUT this. It sounds almost like (to use a different but iuseful analogy ) legalizing marijuana . Now we don’t have to feel guilty for breaking our lines, we can just add more food without the guilt. We won’t be losing any weight for 6 mo, but we will stabilize. Shoring up the habit stack, back to basics, only less hungry and less cravings. Is there any research science behind this strategy? I’m willing to declare myself in “temporary” time limited maintenance for 6 mo, to see if my weight can stay the same and I can notice any changes in my habits and mindset. Do you want to make this a small sampling cohort study for those of us who fit the criteria (there must be 10s of thousands of us….
    Something to consider .

17. Susan

Excellent analogy! Thank you, as always.

18. Marianne Smith

This is the very best blog!
    This made so much sense for me. I see a clearer way out of the vicious cycle!
    Thank you, Susan. I love you too!

Comments

1. Amy

2. Stefi

Dear Susan, You spoke loud & clear ! Thank you very much!!☺️

3. Peggy Mears

4. Sherri A Healey

5. Athena

6. Curt

7. Steven

Susan, you are a special person.

8. Barbara Stones

Lots of questions and some trepidation.

1. Darla

Do you have the book for Bright line?
      Many questions are answered there.

9. Laura Hildreth

14. Dominique

15. Paulina Ordenes-Nunez

16. John Anthony (Tony) Charles

Susan,

Something to consider .

17. Susan

Excellent analogy! Thank you, as always.

18. Marianne Smith

This is the very best blog!
    This made so much sense for me. I see a clearer way out of the vicious cycle!
    Thank you, Susan. I love you too!