Natural Flavors

I’ve covered the topic of refined sugar extensively over the years, but what I haven’t talked about is the idea of “natural flavors” and how they might affect you. Believe it or not, companies can sneak refined sugar into products without having to disclose it on their labels. Watch this week’s Vlog to learn more.

Comments

1. Annamaria

I have been on bright line since June 6 it is amazing how I feel my brain I quiet not always thinking about what I am allowed to eat and still I would consume so many breads sweets and ice cream . My friend told me to take your test , my eyes filled with tears because it was me. your bolg and and thank for what you have done for me.

Hi, Annamaria! Welcome! We are honored to have you with us and look forward to following your journey. 🧡🧡🧡

2. Lisa M Pizzale

I didn’t think that Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice had any sugar in it as I actually contacted them about six months ago and specifically asked them directly if it contained sugar of any kind, telling them I had an extreme allergy to sugar of any kind. They told me it did not have any kind of sweetener added to it. Just curious if someone was told something different as that would be upsetting.

1. Tea Girl

I spoke to them and to Harney and Sons about their Hot Cinnamon tea. Both assured me there are absolutely no sweeteners of any kind added, and I verified that that meant absolutely nothing- no stevia or syrups or honey or anything. The same goes for quality cinnamon. I love Penzey’s Vietnamese Cinnamon and it adds nothing at all to the cinnamon bark. There are indeed places that are not upfront about added sweeteners but I do not believe those have any.

1. Lisa Pizzale

Thank you for posting about your contact with both CS and Harney as I have been drinking their tea as well (love it!). Now we can drink with a clear head, ahhhhh 🙂

3. Melissa Zimmerman

Why do manufacturer’s have to deceive us. I am guessing if natural flavors isn’t one of the 1st three ingredients it could be more tolerable. I will keep my eye on it.

4. Joyce Nutz

Bobby, of FlavCity.com, warns about natural flavors all the time!

5. Kristie

I have been in maintenance for 18 months, and I am rock solid on my plan. I started a new job 3 months ago, and I have been turning to herbal tea to decompress. I very often use multiple tea bags, and multiple cups a day. I had not considered how quickly this ramped up. I am so thankful for catching this vlog in time to correct course. Of all the things that could tank my plan…tea? Crazy!

6. Sherri

I’m wondering if natural flavorings that contain sugar add calories to the product. I have seen flavored water that has 10-20 calories per serving. After watching this vlog I’m thinking that sugar may be the source of those calories.

1. Kathy Lehman

Spondrift has calories, so it isn’t compliant, because they use actual JUICE.

1. Kathy Lehman

Spindrift has calories, so it isn’t compliant, because they use actual JUICE.

7. Pat

How about La Croix sparking water?

Hi, Pat! We can’t say for certain. If the label says “Natural Flavors” it COULD include sugar, but that doesn’t mean it DOES include sugar. You will be the best judge of whether or not this product serves you well. 🧡

8. Curt

I would like to add some powdered vitamin supplements to this list of foods with hidden sweeteners. An example is “CardioX” from Metagenics. Mine is banana/berry flavored. Although no sweetener is listed, I can taste the sweetness in it. I can also notice the tug on my cravings. I’m glad to learn about this backdoor entry of sweetness. Thanks Susan.

9. Barbara Barton

sorry, nope. someone else….

10. Stefi

UGH Its a minefield out there!! 😨🙁

11. Toni Jardine

Interesting, I thought it was the carob in the tea that was triggering me.

12. Kathleen Warda

I found this interesting. I started drinking herbal tea after getting to maintenance and found that I was having cravings that were new. I have now switched back to hot water with lemon. The cravings have subsided. Very interesting.

13. Kathy Lehman

I am not sure if it’s the “natural flavors”. Anything with chicory root and/o carob in it tastes to sweet for me!

14. Amanda Kay Creighton

Do you still know that your brain will always have those addictive tendencies? Is there any emerging research showing otherwise?

15. Jane Worthy

What a timely Vlog! NY Times just published an article about Natural Flavors and all the ingredients that food manufacturers can sneak in that way. Also, “unsweetened” and flavored sparkling water (e.g. La Croix) can include natural flavors and can be triggering for some. Thanks Susan!!

16. Karen

I love, love how you provide us with this information! Neutral, no musts, have too etc., the power of choice is ours, thank you!

17. Alison Hintz

Does this mean that the label could say 0 for sugar and still have sugar in it?

1. Lisa W

I’m wondering the same…

Hi, Alison! It is possible. The way to avoid sugar for absolutely certain is to eat whole foods that don’t require ingredient labels. 🧡 We invite you to notice how certain packaged/processed foods affect you and to proceed with that individual information in mind.

18. Caroline Ritter

Thank you for this information! I had some Good Earth tea that has natural flavoring in it and was quite sweet. It made me wonder why I seemed to like it so much. Now I know!

Have you ever heard of glycerine in toothpaste causing the sane phenomenon? I was listening to a webinar from a woman who taught a sugar free lifestyle and she spoke of it. Then I realized why I started thinking of eating sweets that I hadn’t for years. (I am a “10” as well and came to find a sugar free way of life through macrobiotics.)

1. Caroline Ritter

Correction: “same” not “sane”

Hi, Caroline!

Sweet toothpaste can absolutely trigger an addictive reaction. The conduit is the sweet taste buds on the tongue—it doesn’t have to be swallowed. Very sweet chapstick or lip balm can cause a similar response. For this reason, it’s wise to avoid excessively sweet flavors and stick to plain lip balm and toothpaste varieties comprised mainly of baking soda and peroxide. You can be the judge of whether it triggers you or not. Some brands are less sweet than others. 🧡 🧡 🧡

19. Barbara Barton

Do you also mean that “natural seasonings” should still be AFTER the first three ingredients?

1. sharon

Barb, on a long shot, you didn’t happen to have a trout farm in MI years ago?

Hi, Barbara! Not necessarily, but maybe? 😉 Natural seasonings could include sugar and/or flour, but also…they might not. You’ll want to take into consideration where you fall on the Susceptibility Scale and notice if any foods with “natural flavors” and “natural seasonings” affect your peace and move forward using the 4 questions to determine how you’d want to proceed. 🧡