Have you struggled with weight, dieting, or body image in the past? If so…

Your Brain May Be Blocking You From Losing Weight.

How susceptible are you?

Mental, Emotional, and Spiritual Recovery

Most people come into Bright Line Eating for physical recovery—in other words, weight loss and everything that goes along with it. But in this week’s Vlog, I talk about the other realms of recovery that exist for us to pursue along our journeys.

Podcast Audio

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is a New York Times bestselling author and an expert in the psychology and neuroscience of eating. Susan is the Founder and CEO of Bright Line Eating®, a scientifically grounded program that teaches you a simple process for getting your brain on board so you can finally find freedom from food.  Read Susan’s Full Story

Join the Conversation

Comments

1. Vorona

I know this was posted a long time ago, and I planned to watch it then, but didn’t. I wish I had and I’m glad I left the message as “unread” so I could open it and watch it now. It was such an epiphany. I was doing relatively well on BLE for awhile, and then I started floundering. Still “officially” doing it, but more off days than on. Part of it was that I got a new job, but listening to this made something else much clearer. The emotional “stability” part. I realize that I didn’t like it. I missed the big highs and lows. I was bored. It’s like — I want to be miserable so I can also be ecstatic. I’d rather both than neither. I’m not sure what exactly to do with this information because I DO want the physical benefits of BLE. But I see now that part of why I sabotaged myself and am just now coming back more fully is that fear of mediocrity and sameness and boringness in my emotional highs and lows.

This is a VERY interesting awareness you’ve had, Vorona, ” I want to be miserable so I can also be ecstatic. I’d rather both than neither.” We’ve never heard anyone word it quite like that. There’s probably some good journaling material there! 🧡

2. Bonnie Harwood

My NSV is I don’t have to over think about my foods, I know what my next meals are and their weighed and measured right portions. Plus my medication and injection half cut back. Thank you Susan and brightline community 🙏❤😊

3. Cara Pollard

My biggest NSV was my performance ability. I am a professional trumpet player and giving up sugar and flour as well as meditating brought my performing to a new level. My group recorded our second album in Madrid and I had incredible endurance. At the end of the week long recording session, it felt like I’d barely played. I had no idea how much sugar and flour were affecting my playing ability. S&F cause inflammation for me, especially my lips. Thank you for this amazing program! I started in Aug. 2018 and have released 95 pounds.

4. JackG

Never considered the recovery aspects of Brightline other than the absolute joy of the feeling of freedom from sugar. Thoughts of food and specifically thoughts of sugar foods have dominated my emotional and eating behavior for as long as I can remember. Simply saying NMF when offered a beautiful slice of coconut cream cake/pie as an example is a truly a religious experience for me when it happens, I can’t really explain it completely. But, It is life changing – and yet so surprisingly effortless!!! I am shocked when I hear myself saying it but so proud. Thank you Brightline…

5. Carol

I have always been a “mood” eater, fixing whatever I was in the mood for. Planning has been a great benefit for time management. I am spending a lot less time running to the store and trying to figure out what I am in the mood to fix/eat. Best non-scale victory for me.

6. Leah DeDeaux

This week’s vlog reminded me of a moment when I realized my thinking was changing and I wanted to share. I had decided to go camping and hiking for a couple of days alone. The preparation was so simple. I knew exactly what to pack for my three meals for three days, but that wasn’t the biggest realization. As I set out for one of my hikes, after eating my breakfast, I realized that I am actually FREE! I set out on my hike without a bag full of snacks or drinks. I didn’t have to think about how to keep anything cold. I filled my camelback with water and threw a snack back of almonds in one of the pockets in case I got lost and I was good to go. I knew I would not need to eat again until lunch and I feel like I finally felt “free”. I told myself, “you’re doing it!” with a big smile and I had a great hike.

Love it, Leah! LOOK AT YOU GO!!! You’re doing it! 🧡🧡🧡

7. Dipti Chotai

Exactly as You said, I think that eating healthier is boosting my creatively and I am starting to get into interests that I have always had, but in a much mire focused and disciplined way

8. Eileen

My perspective has shifted and I trust my ability to be successful. Being a very capable person in other areas of my life, I regularly have self-talk around the concept of surrender. It is calming, energizing and effortless!

9. Rebecca A Bilak

I find I do not squirm or recoil when someone touches my body.

Very interesting, Rebecca. What an empowering feeling. 🧡

10. Cilla

I am learning to love and respect myself more!

HUGE!

11. Diane

I stopped watching these vlogs a while ago because they felt so performative rather than genuine care for the people watching. This vlog just reminded me why I stopped. What was the point, what was the message, what was the helpful tip?

1. Lisa Rowe

I have other BLE friends who also don’t get much from SPT’s vlogs. For me, the helpful tip was the guidance to look for non physical changes (as a reminder if you’ve done BLE as long as me, but maybe a new idea for newcomers). I’ve learned in my meditation practice and as a teacher that reflection on the changes that are occurring is one important way to maintain motivation and deepen awareness. If there is a subject where you are looking for tips, perhaps you could send in a request?

Hi, Diane! We are sorry to hear you don’t find value in the weekly Vlog and appreciate your feedback. The weekly Vlog is recorded with genuine love and care for Bright Liners. We hope you’ll consider watching some of the more recent Vlogs to see if they land well with you. And if not, that’s okay too. We invite you to take what serves you well and leave the rest. If you’d like to submit a topic for a Vlog for Susan to consider, you can send your suggestion here: https://support.brightlineeating.com/vlog-ideas-for-susan/

The invitation in this week’s Vlog is to consider the benefits Bright Line Eating has brought into a Bright Liners’ life that go beyond the scale. Most people come to BLE to lose weight, but they stay for so many more reasons. For some, the weight loss becomes a bonus!

Be well, Diane. We’re cheering for you. 🧡

12. Steve High

Susan:

Your messages are so timely. You’re the person that’s been in my head struggling to get out and scream. You’re so right it’s not about just the diet and the weight… It’s a lifestyle change and awakening. I’m feeling strength that’s been suppressed for twenty years. I don’t weigh myself. I look at blood glucose which is dropping to controllable levels with in four short days. I’m taking half the insulin I was before I read your book a week ago. My belly fat is breaking up and beginning to sag. The fog is lifting. At 70 years old I expect this year to be the most dynamic of my life. I can feel it coming although not certain where it will all lead. My goal is to leave behind 170 pounds and all the baggage that’s been a huge part of obesity anguish.. I feel like it will happen consistently, steadily and quickly . Thank you for sharing your life experiences and research.

13. Sharon Smith

I am finding that as I keep the commitments to myself, I am trusting myself more. I have let myself down more than anyone else has. Once I heard you say something to the effect that once we start actually doing what we commit to do, the trust in oneself will come. Knowing that is really helping me actually do what I will say I will do regarding this program. When I consider breaking my plan, I remind myself that I made a commitment, and the person I am becoming wants to be a person that does what she says; and so … I do what I promised myself I would do. Because I actually do want to be a person that keeps promises. And so I am, more times than not. And am doing better and better. And I feel better about myself. That self respect is priceless.

14. Jacqueline Carey

Hello Susan, I’ve lost 138 lbs and have been in my right size body for one year. Something that I think of often in gratitude is that I have freedom from worry that I will get enough to eat. I used to hate it when I would go out to eat and everyone wanted to share something!! I just knew I wouldn’t get as much as I wanted. Or, if we stayed at a friends house and had to rely on their food. I used to sneak bags of NMF into the bedroom. I only truly ate as much as I wanted when I was alone. That worry about getting as much food as I wanted was constantly on my mind. I have complete and total freedom from that. BLE has changed my life in so many ways and after 50 plus years of morbid obesity and trying every diet out there I am finally free!!! Thank you so much. ❤❤❤

15. C H

Clearer thinking & much better mood. Was on 2 antidepressants for years- don’t need them anymore.😀

16. Donna Abney

I no longer feel alone or isolated or the odd duck out. Being part of the BLE family and GRIT has changed my life. Truly amazing.

17. Bonnie

Hope – hope for a future free from food obsession and all of the sickness caused by morbid obesity that my family has endured. Even gastric sleeve surgery couldn’t provide that level of freedom that I hoped and prayed for.

18. Bonnie

Real hope for a future free from food obsession and all of the sickness caused by morbid obesity that my family has endured. Even gastric sleeve surgery couldn’t provide that level of freedom that I hoped and prayed for.

19. Eila Algood

A few years ago, after a cancer diagnosis and surgery, I became clear about my need to set boundaries in my relationships. People pleasing Eila needed to take care of herself. I did it without BLE for a short while, but it was rather difficult for me. Since being 100 % on BLE, losing the weight, living on maintenence, I feel my inner power and am able to set boundaries, much like I have done with my food, exercise, meditation and nightly habits. My decision to live the bright lines of BLE empower me to set and maintain boundaries in my relationships. “No” is a complete sentence and it’s okay for me to use it.
    I pride myself on being positive and optimistic and I’ve come to realize that saying No isn’t negative, it’s simply an answer to a question.

20. David Wilkins

A very large thx u for this mental breakthrough that is bringing us closer together in conversation and closeness. We’re both on BLE Were happier to one another from seeing the results in our health that makes life worthwhile. We’re on day 25 and faithful to BLE.

21. Lyn Neely

I have clearer thinking, better problem-solving ability, and more gratitude and joy in living. The structure of BLE has helped me to gradually structure more of my day. Because I have lost weight and become much healthier, it is giving me the self-confidence and energy to work on positive changes in other areas of my life. I am grateful for BLE.

22. CAROL L JONES

I feel a sense of accomplishment in that I have completely let go of some really bad habits around food and alcohol and replaced with very Bright Lines. Breaking bad habits is difficult, but in doing so, I have focused on me and my health – also something I was not accustomed to doing. This has been a non-scale victory for me.

1. Pammie O.

Thanks for mentioning alcohol Carol. I still struggle with this. Your comment gives me hope that I can “completely let go” and find the freedom you and others here are living. This was a powerful vlog to me and all the comments are very moving.

23. Samuel Trujillo

All the things you mentioned, Thank you Susan, I am grateful to have found you in my life!

24. BSFO

I have had a tooth pulled recently, while I am about 2 months into my weight loss journey. Knowing what to eat and how much has kept me on track despite this temporary challenge. There is no guessing or worrying about what I ate or what will eat…I just chop things up as much as possible and move on. And the weight loss is continuing, on course. Yes the food shopping decisions get tough because of I have to be careful with what I eat,…has to be soft for now,

25. Regina

I don’t eat any animals nor animal products. No processed foods. It has absolutely changed my attitude. And loosing weight was a bonus. I’m much more happier Then I have ever been in my life. ✌

26. Michele Parks

Clarity of thought, less depression, more energy in spades!

27. John

I feel like the burden of what should I eat next, how much, and is it the right food has been removed. To me that is one piece of the puzzle that was missing. There is clarity now.

28. Norm Berry

BLE lead me to so much knowledge.
    Joel Fuhrman, John Robbins, James Nectar connected me to Wim Hof .
    Now I am vegetarian after reading Diet fir a New America , I feel like I am treading more lightly on our earth and doing something about climate change simply by living better.
    While I don’t do a lot of things prescribed by BLE I know the basic tools work. I have helped my daughter release 33 pounds by following the simple rules.

29. Tracey

When I am following the BLE plan, I feel more grounded and calm, less reactive in my interpersonal relationships, as well as sharper and clearer clarity in thinking as if a veil has been lifted of sluggishness. For myself, I have noticed these cognitive changes happen first, within a few days when I return to BLE (after a lapse) then the emotional and spiritual aspects of experiential change follow about a week behind. Then the physical aspects (re weight/inches/clothing changes) happen (usually 2 to 2.5 weeks later).
    It is always the cognitive changes first – I absolutely relish that, and know that this is a marker that I am heading in the direction I want to go.
    Thanks for your neverending information, knowledge sharing, and support Susan.

30. Catalina Kotenkoff

I feel empowered and free to do more things that matter to me. I was at such a “stuck” point in my life that I literally prayed for God to give me a way out. Then I knew BLE was the way for me. It might not be for everyone but it’s definitely for me. This is my answer to prayer and the success in this BLE journey definitely has spiritual ramifications for me. I used to lead worship for a children’s program and I confessed to my kids that before I felt like I had to decline because I felt too heavy to be jumping up on stage. No more of that nonsense. I am perfectly in the shape I need to be to praise my Creator. If I lose a few more pounds, awesome! But if I don’t that’s not an impediment to doing what I was meant to do!

Thank you so much for sharing, Catalina! We’re so happy you found your way here. 🧡🧡🧡

31. Donna St John

Hi I just generally have more peace and calm. I am more joyful and more settled. I respect myself more and am able to forgive myself when I fall a bit and hence resume. I find I am able to be better with myself and probably better with others as a result.

32. Cheryl A Cromwell

Wow I wish I had that freedom. Since starting BLE, I think so much more about food prep and bright days and non bright days and how I went off track yet again. I count my bright days and have a record of 52 consecutive bright days and I am always challenging myself to beat that. Every day and every minute I am consumed with BLE. I have been doing this for over a year and I am thankfully in my bright sized body.

1. Suzan

Hey Cheryl, in my experience, committing to being 100% bright is where the freedom is. Focusing on the number of days between/before a break, means that each day I’m faced with am I or am I not going to bright today? I think this is what SPT means by coming all the way in and sitting all the way down. Good luck to you!

1. Cheryl A Cromwell

I commit to being 100% every day.

1. Cheryl A Cromwell

Yes I have seen the Vlog and yes I struggle EVERY DAY to be 100%. I am fully committed every morning! That is my goal, that is my plan. I don’t plan on “cheat days” or intentional breaks. But over and over that is my reality. I have a MMG, I post every day, I commit my food, I do a nightly check list, I meditate, I have a gratitude list, I am in GG, I watch recordings. It is a daily struggle…. albeit worth it! I just hope at some point it becomes easier and less time consuming.

33. Tina Guida

I am just a much nicer mommy, wife, person when my food is straight and I am through sugar detox. I credit that to the peace I feel on Bright Line Eating. It was the answer to decades of prayers and ended the frustration of just not knowing what to do or how to succeed.

34. Rb Fromrc

Before BLE, I would have offered an excuse when a friend suggested a weeklong visit. In the 8 weeks I’ve been BLE I have gained confidence, cleaned & organized to a point where I welcomed a friend’s visit ,we had a ball & I stayed Bright. 😃

35. Nitya Amrita

I’ve noticed how much more willing I am to engage in creating community. A I am more confident then I am way more friendly with others. This has lead to creating much more community around myself.

36. Bonnie

Awe-inspiring! Now the fog has lifted and my focus is fierce, clarity around many situations is rolling out daily. Plus, I have the desire, energy and mental fortitude to share and support others; yeeeesh! what will this look like after I reach my right size body?!

37. Sharon

If I didn’t believe in miracles before, now there is no doubt that miracles exist. I had given up on believing there was any hope for me. Now, after almost 3 years in and a sustained loss of 80+ pounds, I have those moments of joy and gratitude and my relationship with the Divine is stronger. I can work in my garden and enjoy the beauty and feel proud that I contributed! I can lift my younger grand babies! I can dance and walk/hike. Yes, those are physical changes but the clarity of thinking, the positive emotions and spiritual strength as a result are immeasurable.

38. Tina Guida

I have peace and the clarity of mind that I never had before. Before Bright Line Eating I had terrible brain fog that I was due to have a little kids and then menopause. Turns out it was caused by flour and sugar. I am a sharper tool in life, more affective, and a I travel through life with more ease. Bright Line Eating saved my life. Great vlog this week Susan!

39. Helen Spingola

It is a blessing to be thinking less about food or even NOT thinking of food!!

40. Helen Spingola

It’s a blessing just to be thinking less about food or even NOT thinking about food!!

41. Emine Weaire

I have become much calmer, patient and tolerant as the years passed in my BLE Journey I am now in my 5th year I guess one can call it being at peace with myself and with my mind and people around me Akso I became more knowledgeble about nutrition and brain science not only with eating but with sleep and in general with well being Very grateful to Susan and the whole BLE program is BLE is much more than just a diet program

Congratulations on 5 years, Emine! You’ve been with us from nearly the beginning of BLE, it sounds like. 🧡

42. Linda

Confidence! I never felt comfortable in my own skin but now I no longer feel self conscious when around others whether I know them or not.

43. Carole Marcille

For me, there is much more spiritual clarity when food is in alignment.

I don’t think as much about what I am going to eat–when I would visit people, that was a huge question–will they feed me? I don’t think about that because if I go for a visit in the afternoon, no snacks line applies, so there is peace and quiet. If for dinner, we will chat about the menu–no biggie.

I also spend more time cooking but while sometimes I get tired of it, there is also something meditative in it as well. It was a big help during COVID lockdown.

Having a food plan guides me. That is helpful in my planning and cooking. I know what I am shooting for and that makes it easier inside my head–quieter too.

44. Teri K

Being part of the BLE family, I have forged the most beautiful true friendships. I had never had so many friends at this level ever before in my long life.

We absolutely love to hear this, Teri! The BLE Community is one-of-a-kind! 🧡

45. Just Me

To be honest, four and a half years in, I think the only one for me is thinking less about food. I spend far more time making and prepping and shopping for food now which I hate as it is like it’s own full time job. But I like that I think about it less. Now if only the scale would budge so I could have scale victories as well!

Hi, Just Me!

What do you think about simplifying a bit more so you don’t feel like food prep is consuming your life? A meal could be as easy as some hummus, raw veggies, an apple, and some nuts. We invite you to reach out to our support team if you need some more ideas. 🧡

46. Nedra

I started meditation 10 weeks after beginning BLE. I had never meditated before, and find that I can focus better, and definitely have more inner peace, and less reactive to my family.

47. Tracy Steart

I have so much more time. What a precious gift that is. More time to do the work I love. More time to spend with friends and family. More time (and energy) to engage in fun outdoor activities. More time to think and reflect. More time to live.

48. Sue Bailey

For sure, gratitude is all around me without me searching for it. At night, I don’t have to think to find a host of things I am grateful for. I feel that I am living within the Great Mystery.

1. Pammie O.

Beautiful comment. This vlog was excellent and the replies were equally great. I’m glad I read yours.

49. Annita

It’s a beautiful vlog topic 👍for me this week I experience the feeling of peace. Peace in my mind , peace with my self and with any way of my life ,peace and quiet.

50. MARIE LOPRESTO

I am enjoying emotional freedom with food. It is nice to be eating to live rather than living to eat!