How Sunlight Suppresses Appetite

I was in New York City with one of my kids this past weekend, and the trip reminded me of a piece of science that I learned recently but haven’t shared with you yet. Watch this week’s Vlog to hear all about it.

Comments

1. Chandra

Does MSH effect people differently based on skin/hair/eye color? I am a pale redhead with blue eyes so I’m super sensitive to the sun. Can I still get the positive effects from wearing sunglasses?

2. Donna Kingsley-Fein

It is concerning that you did not give parameters on amount of time of exposure as well as risks. For instance, brown eyes are less likely to suffer from ultraviolet exposure rather than light blue, or that those living in higher elevations need less time of exposure. When speaking with a person with a medical background, she thought someone with macular degeneration should not have much exposure to ultraviolet light at all, plus am concerned that some people might take your advice literally and think it is ok to look at the sun (very bad idea!). I know that many of your followers are elders (myself and my sister included) so I think it might be worth your time and wonderful effort to rethink and carefully advise in another vlog.

3. Cat

I love your vlogs on the brain, and hormones etc. These vlogs actually inspire me greatly. I have gained weight during the pandemic, and am very nervous of going out in the sun, as I’ve had melanoma skin cancer surgery on my face,. . You have inspired me to spend more time outdoors, wearing sunscreen as I always do, but now I realize that the eyes are key to ultra violet light, and feeling less hungry. Your vlog on dopamine was also very enlightening. Thank you

4. karen zamzow

thank you for the weekly blog! You are so ‘down to earth’ and I appreciate your expertise! Yes –to some sunshine!

5. mona toscano

You are a master teacher==taking a complicated subject and making it comprehensible.
    Thanks. moT

6. Stefi

Makes sense why I do seem to want less food more consistently when not wintery time of year 👍☃️🎄

7. Stephanie Smith

According to your biography your girls are named Alexis, Maya, and Zoey
    so who is Robin.

8. Sherill

Fascinating! Susan, I really appreciate learning the science behind eating issues. It has allowed me to make smart choices unencumbered by shame and blame. The science is why I was able to lose 35 pounds 3 years ago and keep it off. Thank you!

9. Stephanie

I do not think you have to look at the sun to get the benefits.
    Sunlight helps with Vitamin d and melatonin levels which aids in sleep.
    Sunlight is good for depression.
    The monsoons are currently taking place in Florida and it has been dreary
    since the first of June. If I lived where it was 105-110 during the summer
    I would not want to eat much. Too hot to cook.

10. Wendy Mispagel

I really like hearing how different hormones work to increase or suppress appetite. Just two comments on this VLOG. First – Ultraviolet light from the sun may contribute to the development of cataracts. This is copied from Mayo Clinic website. Two – I’ve always heard that it you use more calories to keep warm so, naturally your appetite would increase in the colder months. Still, it sounds like sun exposure does a lot of good for us.

11. Fiona

Many years ago there was a process called “sunning” that was talked about a bit in the natural/holistic health world. One did not look directly into the sun, but it was suggested to be out in the sun getting indirect exposure…not just going about your business in the sun but being in the sun and looking straight ahead or off to the side and letting sun reach your eyes for a specific length of time. Don’t remember the details but I remember it was a thing.

I have noticed that if I am out doing something in the sun all day (with plenty of non-toxic sunscreen because I do burn easily) and get lots of eye sun exposure I notice a significant mood bump at the end of the day – a lot like when I was a kid and outside all day. What I wouldn’t give to be able to turn THAT feeling on when I need it.! 😀

12. Stacy Steck

Did one of the twins change their name?

1. Stephanie Smith

Is that all they are changing?

13. Ariann

Makes sense. My eye doctor recommends wearing sunglasses in sunlight because of eye damage. I am in my 70s.

14. Carol

Interesting. It is true. Being out in the yard every day working my appetite has been less…(and so hot who wants to eat in 105-115° this week). Susan didn’t clarify that No one should look directly into the sun…that should be a given! And being in the sun helps your Vitamin D levels…they say 15 minutes a day of sunlight helps Vitamin D absorption. Now…if the appetite could just suppress itself without being in sun…ha. Thanks Susan

15. Wendy

Very interesting! But I do think a warning should be added about the danger of looking directly into the sun. Is there any guidance on how many minutes a day in the sun is beneficial? Or if early morning sunlight–before the UV index gets high-is adequate?