What Chewing Does for You

In this week’s Vlog, I talk about something many of us might take for granted: chewing. I discuss its impact on our skulls, our teeth, our brains, and, of course, our waistlines. Watch to hear my thoughts on the fascinating science behind the process.

Comments

1. Elizabeth Rummens

Wow!
    Who would have known this?
    Thanks Susan foe enlightening us💜

2. Joanne Lee

The book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Dr. Weston Price got me on the road to real food and good health. As a dentist he traveled around the world and studied indigenous cultures with wildly different diets and found those with their natural, ancestral diets had beautiful teeth and facial structure and those that had shifted to a “western” diet (flour, sugar and processed food) starting having crooked teeth, narrow jaws, even cleft palates with one or two generations . The photos alone are utterly convincing.

3. Lisa M Pizzale

I recently read James Nestor’s book, “Breath” and it was indeed fascinating and intriguing. As a member of BLE, I have found I do definitely shop, cut and chew more. It’s good to know there are so many health benefits to the chewing part 🙂

4. Cathy Schubert

Can’t wait to eat a carrot.

5. Lynn

So why is it recommended not to chew gum, other than any sugars present? Primes the stomach to think food is coming? I like to chew a piece of gum after eating kinda like a tooth-brushing!
    Thanks!!

1. Pam

This was my question, too. I don’t enjoy chewing gum — my jaws get too tired and sore — but it would seem that it would provide the chewing benefits in spades.

Hi, Lynn! Within the context of Bright Line Eating, a key aspect of achieving freedom is breaking the impulse to respond to life by always having your mouth moving (chewing. sucking, etc). Although it can be difficult at first, breaking the reflexive action of popping something in the mouth when the urge strikes has tremendous long-term benefits.

6. Emily

I agree that overeating and eating processed foods leads to poor health. There are a variety of reasons why this happens- not just whether the food is chewed. I disagree with several of the controversial theories out there about skull structure, especially as it relates to what is attractive, youthful, or ideal. Some of these dentists who encourage these theories are out to make money, encouraging painful and psychologically traumatizing interventions to produce a certain “look” that they themselves have deemed ideal. Some are blatantly racist. They use junk science to justify their selling of snake oil interventions. I don’t believe anyone has an “ugly” face because they should have chewed their food more, especially when the person publishing the data is comparing white people to non-white people (I will omit the racial epiphets that are commonly used in these publications).

1. Evie

Susan clearly explained chewing has long term health benefit, particularly the health and proper formation of your teeth, bone maintenance and strength of the jaws, and the ability to breath properly. The appearance of your Skull MAY indicate problems in these area. Unless I missed it, neither Susan or the book she mentioned made it an observation about a persons attractiveness. I encourage you to read Breath by James Nestor. It is very interesting and is based on science, not racism.

7. Stefanie T Adams

It all makes so much sense, thank you!

8. Alan

Just want to check did your team and people in bright line generally take the Covid vaccines?

1. Stefi

Wt 🦆 is it to you ? Or me , or anyone PLUS it has NOTHING to do with Susans ‘ vlog on chewing !!!!!!!!!

1. Alan

Yes is was going of topic, but as i was watching vlog got text for vaccine, just curious has anybody got reservations about them!

9. Lynn

Very Interesting. I studied with the Nutritional Therapy Association as a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. The curriculum is based on Weston A. Price, the dentist who looked at teeth/bone formation in various indigenous populations. He came to the same conclusion that the introduction of processed foods changed the teeth/bones of these indigenous populations.

Thanks! I enjoy watching your vlogs,

1. Lynn Lundberg

I just listened to that book! It was amazing! I am trying to implement many of the principles mentioned, and will continue to learn to breathe. Thanks for another great vlog!

10. Brenda Tungate

Mind blown…

11. Helen Spingola

Very interesting! And so informative…