Indulgence Culture in a Pandemic

Here at Bright Line Eating, our amazing Social Media Team combs through our various feeds to gain an understanding of what our community is thinking and wondering about. They suggested this week’s Vlog topic based on a question they were asked about how to deal with the messaging everywhere telling us that life is hard right now because we’re in a pandemic, so we should treat ourselves. Watch to hear my thoughts.

I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT BRIGHT LINE GRIT

Comments

1. Cinthia Linn Teague

I wish I could read these vlogs. I see I can listen and watch, but I do best at retaining when I read.

Hi, Cinthia! There is an option to turn on captioning. We understand that isn’t the same as reading a transcript, but may be helpful for you? 🧡

2. Viva

I’m very interested in the APA/Gallup poll referenced. Is it published somewhere? Took my own little poll of Facebook friends. Older folks had maintained weight or gained 10-ish lbs. during pandemic. The one millennial who responded had gained 29 lbs. I want to know more about the poll’s data and what conclusions were drawn. Do you have a link please?

1. Viva

Thank you so much! 🙂

3. J

Essential to stay on plan as outsiders will always give an excuse or celebration to eat and pressure. Self care unique to each person

4. Sarah

I like the comment about the sudutive rationalizer. I just found out I was pregnant and the chatter has increased. I am constantly telling my voices that I don’t need flour and sugar to nourish a baby. Like the other day, my husband had a night off and the voice is like you should go out to eat and celebrate have one last meal. And for a second I entertained the thought. Then I told the thought um no. I know through BLE that I will be better eating fruit, veggies, lean meat, unprocessed grains, if ineed more protien I can eat a men’s maintenance, if I am not gaining weight I just keep adding food. Just keep going up the maintenance scale. Take a prenatal vitamin. Eat the foods that are nutrient dense like kale instead of iceberg lettuce. I am not eating for 2! That is the biggest lie and myth that has been told women for centuries and has led so many women to gain well beyond what they need to to support a healthy baby. I get it if you are underweight or having twins eating more is a good thing, but we dont need to go from 2000 cals a day to 4000 cals a day. Sorry about my soap box , but because of this lie I gained 40-50 lbs with each pregnancy. And the other lie they tell you, it will come off once the baby is born. Maybe for some women that is true. But in my case, it is why I have struggled with my weight ever since my first child was born. This pregnancy I will not eat enough for 2, I will eat enough good, healthy, unprocessed food to support my life and the growing baby. No more no less. Saboteur you can take your one last meal and shove it.

Congratulations, Sarah! We wish you and your family well in the months to come. 🧡

5. Kathy

Very juvenating hairstyle!

6. Debbie

Hi! Just wanted to send a quick comment as someone living in Europe (Sweeden). Its very interesting because the mentality seems so different here compared to America. Due to the fact that people with obesity have such a higher chance at dying from COVID, a lot of people here have actively started diets and loosing weight during the pandemic. In fact, during the first COVID wave, doctors in my country have even had to advise people not to crash diet too hard because loosing weight rapidly also lowers your immune system and they were worried it would have a reverse effect on one’s ability to fight the virus. Of course crash diets aren’t the answer, but its such a shame that this pandemic isn’t being seen as such a big motivation for people to take charge of their health and weight. I would have liked to see the medical community really emphasize that loosing weight in a healthy way can significantly improve one’s chances of heavy illness from COVID, if that individual was overweight or obese. Not to shame or scare anyone, but to empower them and send a message that you can actually do something to “fight” the virus.

Very interesting, Debbie! Thanks for sharing what you’re seeing in your part of the world. 🧡

7. Trish

To hear 15 UM UM UM UM in under 2 minutes. PHD or not now can you put yourself in front of a camera so unprepared. Watch Jane Goodall she never uses a “filler ” word ever. Counted over 70 filler. Not even counting all the ya knows, buts, ands. Just a lead in to selling a new program. Grit. I grit my teeth trying to listen . UM no thanks

8. Debbie Kohn

I found the start and finish dates, but couldn’t find the days and times. Please email them to me. Otherwise I can’t sign up.

Thanks,
    Debbie Kohn
    debkohn@sbcglobal.net

9. Jo Ann Dhume

Thank you, Susan, for the timely message! Two messages stand out to me. “The kitchen is closed!” 😝 Considering “stress vs. support” and support doesn’t mean personal connection, rather sleep, etc. I’ll hang on to those 2 ideas moving forward.

10. Don Benedik

Thumbs up, again! So many entries on the BLE Facebook page show people need help, encouragement, reinforcement to gain control of themselves. If you did it for me, it can be done by others, as is testified by so many

11. Gail

Love your hair short again.

Adds such a youthfulness.

1. Malinda Wheeler Aparicio

This is so timely. Thanks so much. Just this morning I told my friend I joined the 14 day challenge to overcome my sugar addiction. She said, “stop being so hard in yourself, everyone is eating too much right now.” Wow! I signed up for Grit and then the 14 day challenge. The food is the food, but without the parts work and meditations I may be doomed to fail again. I’ll do the boot camp later. Thanks for all the work that goes into these Vlogs and entire program.

Hi, Malinda! We are honored to support you in your journey and are cheering for you! 🧡