How Often to Weigh Yourself

For this week’s Vlog, I revisit a topic that I’ve covered in the Bright Line Eating book and in the Boot Camp, among other places: how often you should weigh yourself. My memory of what I’ve said in the past is, essentially, “It’s up to you.” But my perspective has changed a little bit now, and I want to share it with you.

Comments

1. Elana Schachter

I have come to the same practical conclusion independently. I feel like the scale undermines my efforts to heal my body dysmorphia. I need to work on proprioception – on knowing what my body feels like. How will I know that I am in my B/right body if I don’t know what my body feels like, and all my criteria are external? True, I am tempted sometimes by the objectivity of a number to confirm that “it’s working “, but my current intention is to not weigh myself until I feel that I am in my B/right body, and maybe not even then. The numbers do not take bone structure, body type, genetics, age, muscle tone and many other factors into consideration. A number may be objective, but my sense of myself is entirely subjective, so my sense of my body may as well be subjective too.
    I would love to hear a vlog about the science of proprioception and body dysmorphia. What is an accurate sense of one’s body called?
    Thanks for this surprisingly timely affirmation of my inner process. As usual, you come up with exactly what I need to hear exactly when I need to hear it! It’s a little spooky!

2. Ellen

This was really good for me! Very healthy stuff. I got too worried about settling in at a slightly higher maintenance weight since the pandemic. But the reality is, my weight was JUST FINE! I never went above my goal weight — just sat at the top of my range. And it’s a pretty low weight for my height, anyway! So I really appreciate this approach to the scale. I have given it way too much power.

3. Thais Abernethy-McClure

I love you Susan. Best video I’ve listen to, in my humble opinion. I so believe what you say. Thank you for being here. You are dearly loved. I love this program.

4. Rose

Susan, I feel I need to share my very different experience on this issue. I’ve been in my right size body now for 13 years, with a few ups & downs here & there. Daily weighing is one of the ways I’ve been able to do this. For me, it’s an indication of how well I’m doing, if I gain a bit I can easily reflect on what I’ve done/eaten that may have contributed, so know instantly what changes I need to make, how my body responds etc. If I’ve lost a bit I feel fantastic & proud, highly motivated to keep my lines bright. If no change in weight, all good cos I’m happy in my body, keeping the balance with confidence. I find daily weighing to be freeing & comforting, provides a safety net/boundary to guide & support me. Of course, I don’t weigh when I’m away on holiday & always return with weight gain!

Thank you for sharing, Rose. You’re doing great and it’s wonderful that you’ve found what works for you and for so long! 🧡🧡

1. Helen Spingola

helenspin@earthlink.net
        I feel exactly as Rose. My right=sized body got there due to daily weighing. Been there for years and still
        do a daily weigh-in…..

5. Tracy

Hi Susan, I’m a bright lifer, not yet at goal weight, and I’m 6 days into my second boot camp. I’m doing a couple of things differently. I’m stopping the BLT while I’m cooking (bad habits of a cook). I’m participating in the community more. And I’m weighing myself once a month. This means I haven’t weighed myself since starting the latest boot camp. I’ve actually put the scale away in the closet. I can tell already that this is way more freeing. I’m not thinking about the number at all, just doing the program. Funny thing, I know I’m losing weight. My clothes are loser. But more importantly, I’m happier. It makes me feel like I’m already free and not on a diet.

6. Stephanie

A friend of mine underwent gastric bypass surgery 18 months ago.
    She has no idea how much weight she has lost because for her the number on the scale can be triggering.
    She goes by inches and her change in wardrobe. One of her proud moments was when she could fit in her bathing suit.
    She is doing well with her journey and her Bariatric doctor is very pleased with her progress.

7. Ellen

Susan is singing my new song! I just realized these exact ideas that Susan is mentioning are so true for me. My favorite part that she said is pay attention to what you can actually control, such as how strong is your program. I now weigh once a month and already feel the freedom from doing so. Love this vlog, and it’s super helpful!

8. Joan Browning

Susan, this is a very timely vlog which rings true. I decided recently to weigh only once a month. Your explanation gives soul satisfying reasons why this is better for me. I hated being whipped around by the scale and letting numbers determine any aspect of my well being. I will keep in mind a goal range (rather than goal weight) which will be fine tuned when I feel close to it.

9. Linda Polster

I really enjoyed this vlog about how often to weigh. A couple of weeks ago I was weighing myself daily because I was eating from a box of nmf that my husband was sharing.

Now I’m not eating that. He can eat it. I know what it tastes like. More than tasting that I want to be in a right sized body. I’m not missing out. I enjoyed my day. So because I’m weighing my food I’m trusting that. I know I didn’t eat unhealthy stuff. 2 days ago I was down about 5 lbs this my first week of pre program. Just not officially , but actually mostly doing it if that makes sense. Then yesterday I was up a lb but was really good. I worried. Oh no! What’s going on?! Then I decided I had enough to think about in my life, medically, real estate, paperwork so I let it go and decided I’d worry another day if necessary. Today, I was down that pound. I like that you said something about how our bodies are reorganizing themselves. I’m just going to trust this plan. I believe in it. It makes scientific sense.

So if weighing myself daily is going to add to my stress and be distracting I’m willing to give it up and switch to weekly. I must say weekly weighing at WW was good although long term that program was too flawed to work.
    Lining us us to weigh in where they strategically place those sweet bars etc made me hate them!

10. Diane

I am completely “Team weigh monthly”. I did boot camp in January 2017, weighed weekly and got to my goal weight in that year. The maintenance process in the food guide wasn’t as structured as weight loss so I was flying by the seat of my pants. I am a person who needs structure so I turned to twice a week weighing to make sure I wasn’t gaining too much weight because I was so scared of putting weight back on. I found that after my weight had stabilised I used the twice a week weigh ins and extra exercise to inform whether I ate more or less and sometimes that included NMF. Peace of mind around food was lost but weight remained great.

I had a medical setback in September 2018 that spanned well over a year and I put a lot of weight back on. I completely stopped weighing myself because I knew I had gained. I took the plunge and joined BL Grit this year and am within a few pounds of goal weight now and weighing myself monthly. I’ll do maintenance differently now too. The plan is to weigh weekly until my weight becomes steady, then fortnightly for a month or two to make certain that I’m good and then it is back to monthly weigh-ins. I don’t want being at goal weight to run my eating in maintenance phase, I want my adherence to the bright lines to be the focus.

11. Jolanda

The total focus on weight and weight loss in BLE groups drove me crazy, and I couldn’t separate healthy behavior from results anymore. I tried for 3+ years, but I had to leave because of it. I believe that groups need to be monitored on this.
    A lot of people in BLE have added another addiction to their addiction to s&f, namely an addiction to weight obsession. This makes BLE nothing else than a diet instead of what it could be. I think it’s a missed opportunity not to teach freedom of food and that BLE should combine the REASON for overeating with everything they teach instead of hiding it in an overload of additional courses.

Hi Jolanda,

Thank you for taking the time to watch and to share your experience and thoughts. We appreciate your feedback and will consider it as we move forward. 🧡

12. Stacy

I really needed this right now, thank you.❤️❤️

13. Sonia

Another excellent video, Susan. I have been thinking (more like worrying!) about this for some time and will try cutting back to one or twice a week for a while. Thank you and lots of love to you and your team for all your hard work.

14. Melody

After being in a right size body for two years I just started a 40 day journey to strengthen my daily habits. Part of this I had decided to put my scale away for 40 days. Wow! I am surprised at how much I depend on the number. So, Susan was spot on with this vlog when it comes to me and the scale. I feel great just following the plan. Loving my meditation time and daily reading.

15. Karen Bertocci

I’m on day 53 and I haven’t weighed myself at all this time around. I am 62 years old and I have lost and gained significant weight (40-50 lbs) numerous times. I am familiar with this journey, body-wise. I don’t need the scale to know where I am. I know from the mirror and my clothes. BLE gives me the confidence that the weight loss is steady and dependable. My whole focus is just on working the program one day at a time. I plan to weigh myself on my birthday 5 months from now, or when I am at goal, whichever comes first. Meanwhile I am going to be calm and carry on, and keep the lines bright.

16. Elizabeth Johnson

Clever, weigh your food, not your body. I am on the side of not weighing myself. I do for checking points. When I feel weight on my body I check to see what that weight feels like. then I get to the feeling, I like.

17. Eileen Hill

About 3 years ago I found myself subject to what I call the “weight creep affect!” which means a gain of 2 to 5lbs a year and I was now overweight. My clothes were not fitting me and I struggled to find something to wear. I’ve never been a fan of the scale but I’ve always been a healthy eater (I guess I was eating too much of the healthy foods!). So, I got sick and tired of how uncomfortable I felt and was determined to lose the weight. I did not weigh myself to start and realized the scale was putting the focus on the numbers instead of my body. I was a size 12 and my goal was to be a size 4. I took a size 4 pair of pants (what I wanted to wear) and would try them on every other Sunday. I NEVER weighed myself. This really helped me put the focus on my body and not on 2-3 lbs lost (or gained). Who cares? I just wanted to fit in the size 4 pants. This helped me develop a way of eating for life. Not just a way of eating for a short time until the scale had numbers that I thought were good. I also naturally became a vegan! I realized one day that I had no desire for dairy, chicken, cows, pigs, or even fish. Long story short I have been a size 2 for the last 3 years. I don’t even let the doctor weigh me. Who cares! If my clothes fit and I feel good does it really matter what the scale says?

Love your approach of trying on a pair of jeans once a week. Brilliant! 🧡

18. Nena Gray

I love hearing from SPT every week — she always gives me something interesting to think about, especially this week. Thank you so much!

19. Linda Pearcy

Thank you for this vlog Susan! I’m not going to weigh myself because that number is very discouraging to me. I’m going to weigh what I eat and let my body take care of the rest. Great advice.

20. Doris Vorndran

Amen! Absolutely and finally there in my bright maintenance recovery! Pivotal inner transformation of healing. Thank you ardently loved soul! Deeply grateful SPT!

21. Sally J Mittelstadt

Thankful for this Vlog as it was timely for me. At 74 and formerly 5’10” , my stature has shrunk in recent years. I feel like I have a healthy body but without Pilates classes, I now have a roll when I sit. I began to fixate on the bathroom scale. I need to turn my focus back to the food scale. Thank you!

22. Marietta

hmmmmm food for thought. Not sure where I stand here. I hear you and will sit in this for awhile, not sure. I think this one is one to rewatch a few times and ponder. Thank you for your wisdom.

23. Elaina Basile

This is a great vlog for me! I love “if you weigh your food you don’t need to weigh your body” JFTFP! ❤️❤️

24. cynthia buehler

thank you great blog. i have a fear of the scale and always thought that was a bad thing. i just like to stick to plan and go on how i feel. i make a date usually for myself once a month. thanks very helpful.