Eight Lessons in Eight Months

I was recently made aware of something really exciting that one of our Bright Line Eating employees did, and I thought it would make an excellent Vlog topic. So this week, I’m joined by JP, one of our incredible Customer Support Associates, to share some pearls of wisdom that you might find helpful along your BLE journey.

Comments

1. Ken

Your vlog with JP was excellent. JP you are a true inspiration. I related to everything he said even though I am older and am trying to lose less weight. He is right about the program being contagious. My youngest son (26) is changing his eating habits as he watches me. A 78 year neighbored is following what I do and making changes to her diet. At my annual physical yesterday I told my doctor about Brightline and she and I agreed on a healthy goal weight for me 165 currently at 198. I believe everyone wants to be in a right sized and healthy body the just don’t know how to get there. Thanks for the great vlog.

Ken

This is remarkable, Ken. Look at how your habits are spreading and the good you are doing in your circle! 🧡

2. Mary M

The NMF has no more draw than dirty socks!!
    😂😂

3. Mara

Love J.P., love you Susan, and love Bright Line Eating… my only thought was the lesson regarding eating the same thing daily. God, I would love to be able to do that, but so many of us develop food intolerances from eating this way. As humans we are supposed to eat variety. If I eat oatmeal 3 days in a row, by the end of the third day, I have either a splitting headache or terrible stomach pain…rendering oatmeal off the table for at least 2 weeks, until it can be reintroduced… I do muscle testing to determine the intolerance, and it’s usually pretty obvious. I just feel like this issue of food intolerances is often overlooked in the Bright Line community. Lovely vlog:-)

1. Natalie Swart

I think everyone is so different. I’ve eaten oatmeal everyday for years and if I don’t have it I’m not satisfied. So I personally think getting to know your own body and what it wants and doesn’t want is the best way to go.. Also I think food quality is important to not get intolerances. I always eat organic sprouted oatmeal, which is easily digested without the added chemicals…

4. Sherri

JP thank you for sharing your story! You inspire me to keep my lines bright because I want to earn the food neutrality and food freedom that you have achieved!

5. Janice Kall

JP, where is this post. I would love to see your 8 lessons written down so I can post them on my refrigerator! Thanks for your insight. You are an inspiration.

Hi Janice, the post was shared on a private company platform where our team communicates each day. We’ll check with JP and see if he’s okay with us reposting it in writing here. 🧡

JP said we could share his written version here! 😉

8 Lessons in 8 Months

Today marks the 8-month anniversary of my recovery from food addiction. Eight months and 100+ pounds later, here are the lessons I’ve learned:
      1. Ease into it, but don’t take too long. At the beginning of my Bright Line Eating journey, I eased into it by simply abstaining from sugar and flour. I did this for twelve days, and didn’t worry about how many meals I ate or how much I was eating. This gave me just enough time to get used to life without sugar and flour and kept me from becoming overwhelmed by too many things all at once.

2. Write down your food every night. This was a game-changer. So much of a game-changer that it could have been a fifth bright line, although I don’t do it anymore. The reason it was so crucial at the beginning was that it took all the pressure off my willpower. We humans make hundreds of food-related decisions every day, and that zaps one’s bandwidth for choice. By writing down my food the night before, I didn’t have to make any choices. I just had to execute the plan, and eventually things became automatic.

3. Eat the same things most of the time. The goal is to not make so many food decisions. To not have to think of seven day’s worth of menus each week, always looking for something new and different. That’s exhausting. So, I eat pretty much the same things most days. For lunch today, I’m having mixed nuts, carrots, and an apple. Coincidentally, I had the same thing yesterday. And I’m pretty sure I’m going to have the same thing tomorrow.

4. Simpler meals are better. Don’t misunderstand me: recipes are fun, and they can add the occasional flare to an otherwise consistent food plan. But the keyword there is occasional. Putting together a complicated fare every night is unnecessary. It takes too much time. It keeps you thinking about food more than you need to be each day.

5. Make adjustments as needed. Recently, due to a number of factors, my hunger levels increased to the point of ravenous stomach contractions. I doubled my daily amount of vegetables. Don’t be afraid to adjust the plan in sensible ways if an adjustment is reasonably warranted. But, whatever you do, be consistent about it. Don’t flip flop from day to day. Did you catch that? Sensible, reasonable, and consistent. And maybe consult a buddy before making the adjustment.

6. Social support is critical to success. I have so many people supporting me. I have a mastermind group of five people with whom I meet every three weeks, in addition to a daily Marco Polo feed. I have buddies in recovery. I have folks on the sidelines cheering me on. And, as I’ll discuss in #8, both of my parents are doing a modified version of Bright Line Eating. Without this support, I’m not sure I would have made it eight weeks, let alone eight months.

7. Celebrate the non-scale victories. The scale victories are fun—since my peak weight in June 2019, I’ve lost 136 pounds. But the non-scale victories can be even more fun—fitting into those clothes that have been hanging at the back of your closet for ages, not having to ask for a seatbelt extender for the first time in years when boarding a flight, being able to shop in normal clothing stores without having to resort to thrift shops or specialty stores. These are fun, and should be celebrated. (Though not necessarily with food.)

8. Food freedom is contagious. Since beginning my Bright Line Eating journey, my freedom with and peace around food have been contagious. As I mentioned, my parents are on a modified version of my food plan, and have cut nearly all sugar and flour out of their diet; one of my sisters regularly weighs her food now with a digital food scale; the parents of my goddaughter are on my same food plan as me; and a friend from college is working on getting processed foods out of her diet. When people see authentic freedom in another, they want to know how you got it. And then that secret spreads like wildfire.

Here’s to the next eight months!

1. Darci Rollins

Thank you for sharing! Best, Darc

6. Joyce

One of my NFV was that I could sit comfortably in the middle seat on a flight!

7. Anon

Terrific – one of the best weekly Vlogs I’ve watched, Susan. Practical and oh-so-wise, Thanks JP.

8. Jean

I tend to wear the same 5 outfits most of the time – so why not eat the same 5 dinners most of the time.

9. Linden Morris Delrio

Such an inspiration to all of us JP. Love you! <3

10. Valerie

A comment and a question: First, thank you both for this week’s vlog. Secondly, what would you say to someone on the BLE bootcamp who has lost nothing in the first three weeks?

1. V Fi

Valerie, if you stay true to it, it will come. I wonder: Are you shorter than say 5’5″? I never realized how truly difficult it is for shorter women to lose weight–however, with a dear little friend that I’m mentoring, I’ve seen it first hand. When she did start losing, it was slow, but it’s steady and now coming off for her. Keep with it–be true–it’ll happen!

11. Ellen Rossini

JP, I caught that little wink at the end! You’re so great to be with on this journey! And I seem to recall we found out about BLE the same way…on Trent Horn’s podcast! I really enjoyed hearing that keeping your food simple is a help to you, because it has been great for me.

12. Ron

Very Inspirational, thank you for sharing and having JP on. I am glad to see a male on staff.

13. C. Mills

I am so grateful for this vlog. Thank you J. P. for sharing your 8 lessons. Thank you Susan for bringing it to the Weekky VLOG.

This would be awesome as supplemental material in the Boot Camp!

14. Marietta Z

JP and Susan, what a terrific job you guys just did! I really enjoyed the Vlog; Real and Life! Thanks!

15. Hermelinda Saxer

I always enjoy and learn from your podcasts. This one was extra special. Congrats JP. I also eat pretty much the same things for my three meals and do not feel deprived in any way. Thx again. I am hanging in there and it gets easier every week.

16. Rita

Personally, I just wish Susan would let JP talk and go through his tips instead of interrupting throughout. I finally just had to cut out. I’ve heard her before; was interested in HIS information.

17. Vicky

Thank you, JP, and SPT for this vlog. I wrote down all the 9 tips, plus the “My recovery from food addiction”. Still telling anyone who seems interested about BLE. Wish they’d all try it for 14 days, so they would understand the actual freedom you achieve around food. And the weight comes off, with all it’s benefits! This is what I intend to do forever. And I will be better off for that decision. Hoping my journey will inspire many more to come follow the plan laid out by SPT. It’s a winner! Thank you,Susan!

18. Elizabeth Backler

Thank you for these 8 wonderful statements JP I am on the 14 day challenge midway. Unfortunately unable to afford the boot camp however have the books.. So, far has been quite testing at times 9 on the susceptibility scale. I have stuck to it. But found I am a bit tricky, trying to wiggle out of measuring. But nipped that in the bud. How fabulous are you JP amazing amount of weight lost. I am 50lbs over my desired weight . Hope after the 14 days I can keep in touch with face book group for support. Susan always enjoy your Vlogs love your personality. So “ onwards & downwards” then 🤗🙏💝

Hi Elizabeth,

We invite you to learn more about our scholarship program here: scholarship.brightlineeating.com. 🧡

19. Phyllis

What an inspiring vlog this week, thank you JP for sharing your tips and thank you Susan for interviewing real people who are doing the BLE program, it gives me hope.

20. Rosie N.

It’s OK, Mara! Everyone has their own intolerances and you don’t have to eat the same thing every day if that doesn’t work for you. Switch it up to whatever level you have to to feel good. Some people like “boring”, and some people don’t.

JP, you are an inspiration in this Vlog! You are amazing! Did I understand correctly that you have lost all that weight since January of 2020? Or was it since 2019? Just curious, but the important thing is that you did it!! Congratulations!!

21. Eve Sepulveda

I so appreciate JP’s 9 lessons…I am in the bootcamp right now…in week three and going through some of these adjustments / squiggles and struggling with committing and recommitting to have bright lines. I appreciate his words of ‘ease into it’…and how he ‘started’. There is grace in that. And that grace helps me to not be so hard on myself as I actually begin to realize that I AM a sugar and flour addict…I can tell now that I have been struggling with stopping partaking in those two things. Thank you JP for helping me rezoom and focus. I am going to get free of those.

22. Teri Moore

JP inspired me so much, I signed up for the 14-day Challenge immediately after watching the blog. I bought the book and have been “easing into it” – today was day 11 with no sugar or flour, but I haven’t been writing down my meals or strictly following the food plan. My first night I did do all that, and was sooooooooo hungry when I went to bed I actually had a nightmare that I was committing suicide! I could use the help though because I have NO support, no one to talk to when I’m feeling challenged, and need advice to keep my blood sugar from crashing during the night (I’m diabetic). So thank you, JP, for inspiring me to take that next step and go beyond the “ease.”

Hi Teri,

We would love to see you get some support. Do you use Facebook? If so, we have a public Facebook group here: https://ble.life/fb

Boot Camp would be the best place for you to really dive deep into BLE relationships. If that speaks to you at this time, you can learn more here: http://ble.life/u8bg

Cheering you on! 👏

23. Carol Bowers

How do you do the same meal over and over if you have a family specifically dinner. I can do breakfast and lunch but dinner? Any advice would be great.

Thanks for everything!

1. Jenell

Maybe a weekly rotation-every Monday is taco (salad)night etc, pick 7 basic family favorites and just repeat each week. I would also change my weekly menu for the season-simple but with variety.

24. Melissa Kleinert

What a wonderful and organized message to all of us. Thank you, JP.

25. Pam Aird

JP thanks for such a great list of Lessons, you really get to the just of BLE. I especially like #1 Ease into it. I signed up for the 14-Day program after reading the BLE book and have only gotten through the videos and have not yet clicked on the Start Button. Must admit that just jumping into such a rigid program is hard for me to wrap my mind around (I am an 8 on the scale). I am 75 and 50 lbs too heavy and have been struggling to get any lower from a high of an additional 30 lbs. Have a couple of health issues which require special diets (Glucose Intolerance and Pre-diabetic). Thank you so much for your Lessons, they have given me much insight and the encouragement to proceed.

Hi Pam,

Welcome! We’re honored to support you in your journey and here for you when you’re ready. Sending love and peace to you. 🧡

26. Alisha

Great topic and conversation! My only constructive criticism is a distraction in the presentation…I began to tally how many times Susan said “totally.” Easy fix for the future!

27. Viola Murray

WOW! I completed the bootcamp some time ago and I can’t quite remember when I decided that I did not need to weigh and measure my food, needless to say it was the beginning of my downfall. I wandered away from the program before reaching my goal. It’s been over a year ago. I have been trying other eating styles, quick fixes, and diets. Although I strayed from the BLE plan I never miss a weekly vlog. JP, you got me, that was so inspirational! I am re-starting my program. I am going to lean into those wonderful suggestions that aided you so much in your journey. I will win. I will win. I will be contacting you again. THANKS AGAIN!

28. Cindy

Loved this blog with JP! What an inspiring message.
    What was the name of the supplement Susan was talking about?

🙏

1. donna ferro

Creatine Monohydrate

29. Cressie

I needed this – thank you to JP and Susan. Your encouragement and talking about the individual helps that can enhance others out here is what it is all about.

30. Carol Surban

Neutrality around my food is the best!

31. Nancy W. Goss

Excellent vlog!

32. Lois

Thanks for the idea of marking a journey with lessons learned! I enjoyed hearing yours, JP, and, Susan, the extended application.

33. Mary Lou

Thank you, very good vlog and so informative!

34. Marsha LeGrand

Hearing J.P.’s journey was truly wonderful! He’s demenor is so bright! He’s serene but confident, yet in a humble way and quite eager to help others on this path. Though I am ready to weigh less and be healthier, my favorite thing about this program is how it fosters personal growth and emotional health as well. I believe the social support makes all the difference in this way. As with other addictions, is something of a thought disorder as well as an actual addiction to sugar and flour! Many thanks for having J.P. share. He’s iconic!!!❤️

We completely agree! JP is such a light to the Bright Line Eating community and to our team. We feel lucky to have his calm and steady presence. 🧡

35. Sylvianne

What an amazing journey, JP. Thanks a million for sharing your insights!

36. Peggy Chapman, CNS,BC

Thank you JP and Susan for this weeks’ Vlog. Susan, I want to caution you about mentioning Creatine supplementation. Although it might help you, there are real side effects that can occur sometimes that can be dangerous. I have a child and adolescent psychiatric psychopharmacology practice and have been working with supplements for over 20 years in my practice. About 10 years ago I became aware from a nephew who was working out for football and taking creatine, that his elevated blood pressure was secondary to the Creatine. Since that time I have seen several of my long term male patients with normal blood pressure, who were working out hard for football and hockey and were taking creatine, suggested or modeled by coaches and other players, develop high blood pressure. I instructed them to stop Creatine and their blood pressure returned to normal. The literature cautions against those with some chronic illnesses, esp. kidney disease, from using Creatine.

37. Sarah

I just wanted to congratulate JP on his new life, his freedom and his ability to share his story with all of us. You inspire me.anf so many others! Susan thank you for having him speak with us today. Maybe you could share the list of 9 things you learned in written form for us to remind ourselves? Thank you.

38. Carmela

Hi, was wondering if any further comment could be offered regarding the safety of Creatine?
    At first I was discouraged Dr Susan was sharing her time in the Weekly Vlog because she is such an excellent communicator on such multiple levels & detentions! However, very grateful for the guest’s (have an aversion to using initials for a name) personal insights, organized helpful list , and humble success in sharing his journey.