Talking with Your Partner About BLE

On a Bright Lifers Coaching Call recently, someone asked for support around dealing with her partner who has shown her in various ways that he’s not happy with her Bright Line Eating program. It can be quite an adjustment for those closest to us when we start doing BLE, and growing pains are typical. Watch this week’s vlog for my thoughts on how to navigate this very common hurdle in our BLE journeys.

DOWNLOAD THE FAILSAFE FEEDBACK FRAMEWORK

Comments

1. Lindy

What an awesome gift! What an awesome tool to increase the pool of shared information in an emotionally safe series of “I” statements regarding a potentially charged conversation. Thank you, Susan!

2. Maria Celeste Ramos

I have the right weifht fior my age – all my life – And I eat very well the portuguse mediterranean gastronomy

3. Sarah Katzin

Sounds like it could be really helpful! I would have appreciated, though, a bit more guidance in how the rest of the dialog should go. Assuming that at the end if this piece we actively listen to the other person (?)…then what?

4. Emerald at Petal & Jewel

Hi Susan! I love what you’re doing. BLE has changed my life (basically a cliché in your world, I know.) Yet I would like to suggest a change; a new intro to your vlog. This one seems awkward and just “odd.” I think it would be fun here and there, delivered casually, if you were feeling silly …but for your standard opening—even on more serious weeks—it misses the mark. That style of introduction comes from circus acts and vaudeville. I know everyone appreciates your casual good humor…none the less, something less canned is in order. I think you could come up with something that more accurately frames your heartfelt messages. Thanks for all you do and your truly remarkable body of work. What you’re doing is nothing short of miraculous. All the best, Emerald

1. Catherine

The opening is a greeting . Greetings are usually not premeditated. Any premeditated greeting is going to sound a little odd regardless of your opinion that you could do it a little better. You are basically placing someone in a no win position to criticize something that could only be improved through less self consciousness, by your act of commenting only serving to increase their sense of self awareness and discomfort. Her greeting has been criticized so many times regardless of which way she changes it that the product you see now is a direct result of your very comment.

2. Janice Rassam

Why do we always feel we have to change others to meet our standards. If it works, don’t break it 🙂

5. Carol

Great vlog!!!
    And LOVE your lipstick!! Please share the brand and shade!

6. Laura

Thanks for mentioning this, Susan. It was good to hear about how your diet affects response to others. My personality, energy, well really whole life does a complete 360 when I am on BLE. Things get accomplished, joy is present, the social aspect develops, responsibilities are handled. When I am off, I am a completely different person obsessed with food, have an ill temper and, as you said, cannot be counted on for much of anything. Because of this I think it is tolerated, even appreciated that I stay on the path.

7. Sandra

I’m definitely using this tool. Thank you so much. I’ve had a strained relationship with someone for the past year and have never been able to express my feelings without being a sobbing mess. I think writing it out beforehand or maybe even giving it to her in letter form may go a long way to relieving the stress between us. Shoot, even if I never give it to her, it may relieve my stress about the situation! Thanks again Susan, you keep me going strong.

We’re so glad this was helpful to you, Sandra. Sending you love and peace, friend. 🧡

8. Monica Dean

Great Vlog! Thank you!

9. Monica Dean

Great Vlog! Thank you!

10. Deb Paine

So wise. Thank you.

11. Nancy W. Goss

Thanks for an invaluable tool!

12. Laura Krug

Susan, this vlog was spot on and very timely for my BLE journey . Thank you for sharing this tool and always your words of wisdom for handing situations in a loving supportive way. I will definitely use this tool and let you know how it works.

13. ashley

My husband eats whatever he wants, has a perfect body, and doesn’t really understand addiction, eating disorders, or what someone needs nutritionally to lose weight because he has never had to do it. In fact the only thing he ever struggled with was being too skinny as a teen and needed to gain weight so he did a lot of body building. When it comes to my weightloss, he thinks I just need to eat half of whatever I was eating before and doesn’t get the concept of BLE because he sees the volume of food as being so much vs. the actual calorie content of it. It’s an all around difficult conversation and in general he thinks it’s just a useless program and the only way he has ever seen with his own eyes anyone losing a ton of weight is if they had bariatric surgery or spent an insane amount of time at the gym. And with BLE you say not to workout right away. It basically goes against everything he personally believes so it’s always an argument when the topic comes up. The only thing that could change him I feel is for me to stay on track with my recovery and BLE to where he could see a huge weightloss on me. In the meantime I don’t even want to talk about it with him anymore.

How tough to do this without strong support at home. ❤️ Those who are low on The Susceptibility Scale often just don’t “get it.”
      You keep doing you, Ashley. The results will speak for themselves.