My 18th Bright Birthday

I just celebrated my birthday a few days ago, so I thought it would be the perfect time to talk more about doing Bright Line Eating during special occasions. Watch the vlog to hear my thoughts.

WISH SUSAN A HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Comments

1. jill g

ages and ages ago, at a different time when i was also avoiding sugar, my mother put candles in a watermelon slice, fully cut in a circle from one edge to the other, cut round like a round cake. it worked! 🙂

1. Wily

I don’t care about cake or ice cream but I do feel so sad about giving up going out to dinner and the luxury of it. I love the intimacy of fine dining and I don’t want to go out and have to be the vigilant self watching for flour and sugar and quantity. My husband is very sad that I won’t go out for our anniversary this year either. I have been very consistent with bright Line for two months and plan to continue through the summer and fall. It feels like deprivation every day.

1. Tami Rash

I have been doing BLE for 4 years, and I go out for a lovely dinner on my birthday and our anniversary, and keep my lines completely bright. I don’t need NMF when I eat out for dinner to make it special. My favorite place is Bone Fish. I can get my 4 oz of Fish, 6 oz of veg and a beautiful 8oz salad, for a great celebration meal, and do not feel deprived at all. I will be doing this for life!

2. Liane

Hi Wiley, I have found a couple of restaurants that I can go to that my husband loves, so he gets his steak and NMF and I get my steak and two servings of broccoli and it’s all good, and he’s happy! Our favorite wing place has boneless wing bites that are grilled, so I have those and a salad and he gets what he wants, and it’s all good.

Oh Wily, we hear that you’re feeling the restriction perhaps more than the freedom of Bright Line Eating at this point in your journey. We’re curious to know what support you have within BLE and if you’ve reached out to talk to anyone about this feeling–your Boot Camp house, a buddy, one of our coaches. You also might find some insight about that feeling of restriction in the vlog Susan recently shot about the hourglass shape of recovery: The Hourglass Shape of Recovery.

4. Maggie

Wily, try asking for the gluten free menu at the larger restaurant chains. I remember years ago doing a food sensitivity elimination diet and I sat in the restaurant and almost cried because nothing on then menu would work for me. Then I learned to try ordering off the the menu. Some restaurants are very accommodating. Or make your meal out of side order.

2. Linda

Watermelon or fruit holds candles

3. Barbara Harper

I had a piece of watermelon with six candles for my the beginning of my 69th year last Thursday, 25 June. We’re fellow, heal the world, Cancers. My area is birth. My mission statement, “I am here to change the way we welcome babies into the world.” I can do my work better in a right sized body.

4. Linda

My birthday is in July and I also had watermelon with the ends cut off and stood up like a cake. Candles put on top. When teaching and not allowing sugary snacks, one parent put skewers with cheese, olives, grapes, etc sticking out of a pumpkin. It was very cool.

5. Nancy Somer

I have also had a decorated fruit ( what looked like) cake with all colours and types of fruit. They can be made to look amazingly festive. Happy Birthday Susan 💝. You look great at 46🎉

6. Rita Emmer

My 7 year old daughter made a watermelon cake last weekend, practicing for my August birthday….would SO support candles!!!

7. Stefanie Samara Hamblen

I have not had a Bright Line Birthday yet (July 20th) but I have made “fruit cakes” with circles of melon or pineapple decorated with other fruit (star fruit looks great with a raspberry on top to hold a candle) – I plan to ask my husband for a small flower cake – gotta have my candles!

8. Maureen

Another Cancer here…candles? In prime rib, ahi tuna, braised pears, food has no limits (almost). Love the skewers in a pumpkin. Could work in watermelon or cantelope, etc.

9. Stefanie Eskut

These are great suggestions! I haven’t started BLE yet, but have put down July 6, 2020 as my start date. I still have a couple things on the list yet to do before Monday. I am looking forward to getting in my right size body! Happy Birthday Susan!!!

10. VFi

Tremendously beautiful Vlog, Susan. You were born one year before my firstborn, on the same day! Watermelon is the only idea I had, and it’s already been mentioned, But I’ve also done a fruit bowl–just diced fresh fruit with whipped heavy cream (with no added sugar or thickener, but do add a tch of citrus juice as you whip the heavy cream!) in a bowl on the side if someone wants a dollop, and the fruit holds candles. Definitely a special treat only as you’d not want heavy cream every day! I would count it as part of a protein, though I personally don’t use it–too much figuring–but maybe two bites less of the main protein and 2 T of the whipped heavy cream (?). Happy Birthday–and thank you for the many gifts you give to us!

11. Nona

Thanks so much for this vlog! Timing was perfect. I have a birthday coming up, and I am a little concerned about hurting my moms feelings (she’s 85). She cooks from the heart and loves nothing more than making my now-NMF favorite pie. I’ve never been a big fan of cake and ice cream, so that’s pretty easy to let go of, in fact she hasn’t made me cake in years. With the COVID stay-at-home I won’t be going to my parents house this year, which helps. I put in an order with my son who is a really good cook. I told him he should cook, and for the birthday treat, I want fresh blueberries and mangoes. He will probably build something to hold a candle 😂.

12. Elizabeth Daniel

Watermelon Cake! We keep the word, and i accept the word. In fact I like the word. It sounds special. It sounds like a special occasion. Its a 2-3 tiered watermelon, held by long matches, toothpicks, etc. Blueberries, strawberries, etc piled up on the edges of the layers and candles on top! We sing 2-3 birthday songs depending on the child/adult because one of them can be taken as a joke or a sadness. It always sounds funny to me. email me if you want to see us sing the ‘other’ 2 songs! Happy Birthday! I’m 3 years in and almost/not quiet 90 pounds down with amazing return of health and terrible isolation since March 13. But this is my choice, i’m grateful for the opportunity to stay healthy. My current slogan ‘Stay in! Let’s END this thing!’

1. Sharon

So touching. Thank you for writing this.

13. Chantal McHale

Fruit sculpture

14. Amanda

Without the meal and NMF as the centerpiece of what makes a Birthday meaningful (whaaaht? strange tradition anyway now that I think about it)…what I noticed on my first Bright Birthday last July (only 1 month into my BLE journey) was how much more I was able to notice the many non-food forms of nourishment I received on this day. Two friends did a juggling show. Another sat with me and listened to a bunch of my life story and journey lately. And others designed a potluck picnic at our local “Music on Main” where we danced, everyone ate what they wanted because there was a huge variety, and we connected.

1. S B D

Such good thoughts. It’s really about people and moments, NMF isn’t necessary at all, but those people sure are!! Thanks for sharing, Amanda.

15. Amanda

PS – I have not yet had a bright birthday with candles, but can imagine them being in fruit and having a lunchtime meal, or as you said, in the meat itself.

16. Kimberly

Thank you Susan, so helpful and encouraging to hear your good example.

17. Holly Graves

I have seen some beautiful fruit “cakes” on the BLE FB groups. They are really lovely and creative.

18. w

Frittata

19. Michelle Sykes

At a restaurant where I did not order “after dinner NMF”, the waiter brought me a lighted candle in a small glass filled with sand.

20. Laura Carlanell

candle sticks

21. Lynne

My birthday is coming up on July 12 and this is my first week of BLE. So far so good! Susan your comments about considering the impact of deviating off the plan on special occasions hit home, thank you for the insight. Since the pandemic I have spent a lot of time alone with my dog. I have been thinking about the upcoming special day and have planned to take my furry friend on a hike to celebrate my success a few weeks into the program. Thank you all for your great suggestions for foods to place candle in!

That sounds like an AWESOME way to spend a birthday, Lynne! Reconnect with nature and your furry friend. 🧡

22. Christine Hofer

My husband bought me a cake that was made of flowers. Didn’t put candles in but it was the most awesome birthday cake ever.

23. Patty

I will be celebrating my 4th BLE birthday next week. Do not miss the celebratory NMF at all. The older I get birthdays just aren’t that big of a deal like they were many years ago. I would just prefer a bowl of berries if there is any dessert at all.

24. G-

My birthday is next week. I was thinking candles with breakfast on one of those BLE friendly oatmeal muffins. No reasons candle have to be later in the day – start the festivities early.

25. Cheryl Cromwell

As soon as you asked the question I pictured a bucket of sand with 1 candle for every year celebrated of your birth. You can still make a wish and the sand will keep you safe and healthy 🙂

26. Sally Zelonis

I will be celebrating July 12 and my daughter will be home for the first time in years and we will celebrate her birthday the next day. This is timely, but I am not sure I want to pass on the cake and ice cream. Will have to give it some more thought. I am at maintenance now for the first time and feel like I could deviate, but the question is do I want to? Will I get back? STill thinking on it.

Ohhh, that’s a slippery slope, Sally. Already your brain is trying to justify and rationalize. We’d lovingly suggest reaching out to your BLE support people and pose the question to them. Then listen to your highest self and take great care in whatever you decide to do. 🧡 Happy early birthday!

27. Andrea

Chia pudding!! Happy Birthday 🎁

28. Kathleen Israel

Hi Susan, I have a ceramic birthday cake that I got from partylite years ago. It actually has birthday cake scented candles. So I lifted off the top part of the cake and blew out the candle on a zoom birthday party with my family this year.

29. Gina Calogero

We put candles on a gorgeous multi/layered creation of watermelon disks, berries, mango bananas and yogurt.
    I wish I could send a photo.

30. Mary Maziarka

Mashed potatoes, baked sweet potato. Usually taking place in a restaurant and a family member brought a candle. Restaurant brought out a fruit cup with candle and lots of times the restaurant will bring out NMF with a candle which, family members share.

31. Laura Krug

For my birthday, I got candles in a piece of watermelon on a plate with pineapple and kiwi. It was the best birthday treat!

32. Claire Paul

Banana is great to hold candles, so I do them in the morning. Candles come in number shapes, so you only need two! Happy Birthday 🎉

33. Jennifer de Jung

Tofu? Xtra firm? Hmmm ? Frittata! Yes!

34. Susan Finkleman

Swedish Angel Times have been a family tradition for us for birthdays since way before BLE.

1. Susan Finkleman

Oops typo: chimes not times

35. Susan Finkleman

Swedish Angel Chimes have been a family birthday tradition since way before BLE.

36. Toni Jardine

I haven’t had candles put in food on my birthdays doing BLE, but I am pretty sure a candlelight BLE dinner on the beach in Jamaica counts!

37. Tonya Wilson

Did the fruit layer cake with #74 candles for my Dad. Although the doesn’t follow BLE, since I was making the “dessert”, that’s what he got and loved it. No ones taken the challenge for my bday yet-ha, not the easiest fruit meal to put together for sure.

38. Lynn

Happy Belated Birthday Susan! I turned 61 on June 21, and we were in the middle of moving from our long time home to the country. Needless to say, hubs and I were exhausted, but he somehow snuck up to the bathroom and put 61 tea lights around the tub! It was lovely and an unexpected treat-no NMF for my first BLE bday!

Awwww, that is the SWEETEST, Lynn! What a loving gesture! 🧡

39. Steve

We always put candles on a slice of bread, then throw away the slice. We do this so no one blows/spits on food we all have to share.

40. laurel

a watermelon “cake” with candles

41. Linda

My birthday last year was just after the BLE cookbook came out so I made the Banana Bake for breaky and had candles in that. I had my celebration in the morning. Great way to start the day!!

42. Pam

How about taking a shallow dish (pasta bowl perhaps), fill it with sand, place some shells or little cacti or painted stones in the sand and then stand candles and an incense stick in the sand. It can be a centrepiece on the table. My birthday is happening in August and I have been thinking that if I don’t have cake, I definitely want a beautiful bouquet of flowers because they give me pleasure. There are so many other options to make the day extra special.

Those are LOVELY ideas, Pam! A beachy centerpiece sounds divine. 🧡

43. Christine Klein, Austria

My celebratory meal for any occasion is a BLE weightloss lunch made of 6 oz butternut squash steamed and mashed, 6 oz apple cubes, 2,5 oz of nuts, flavored with ground vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon. because in our family the others get their NMF and I don’t feel left out like this. so there is one birthday candle going onto this gigantic bowl of divineness 😉 … 🙂

44. Sonya

Slices of banana shaped in a heart

1. Elaine

I like this idea

45. Elaine

My birthday is in December so not a lot of fruit though I liked the idea of bananas.
    I think maybe a candelabra?

46. Nili Marcia

Do candles need to be in food? I like candles in a floral arrangement.

47. Trish

I did a “celebratory meal” on my birthday, March 24th. I was anxious but it was FINE!!!
    Since then I’ve noticed people making “cake shaped” cakes out of fruit. They’re beautiful, would support candles and I could just save my portion until the following day. I think I’ll do that next BDay.

48. Taylor

Cut the top off a pineapple!!! So pretty!

49. Diane

I had my birthday in lock-down at the end of April and we celebrated with BLE cookbook ratatouille for dinner and then we lit sparklers outside instead of cake. It was so much fun and the start of a new tradition.

50. Helen Riff

Watermelon or cantaloupe have been my birthday “cake” for years.

51. Fay Klingler

Thank you for this video. There were some things you said in there that I sooooooo much needed to hear this morning. Thank you. Very helpful.
    It’s not about birthdays. It’s about what I want to accomplish with all this. I’m only at the beginning and oh so hungry part of the day. Your words helped me to focus today and find stamina to continue.

52. Leslie

Watermelon might hold candles…..my bday is in December so might try banana……..

53. Nancy

I have used a half pineapple–just cute the pineapple in half length-wise and stick the right number of candles in.

54. Mela Bredouw

Watermelon “cake” is great with candles!

55. MARIA PICCOLO

Maria “La Mexicana” , for my birthday I baked sweet apples (must smell sweet) with cinnamon and little ghee. they handle the candles perfectly……
    can also be made a apple crumble with some nuts, nut butter and cinnamon, makes a special treat, for a special day.
    or simply the ble muffins with oats, banana, cinnamon, nut meg, etc, egg., perfect for candles!

56. Brenda Harley

Be careful putting candles in hot foods you may end up with an extra serving of fat😬 and your candle falling over😉 Pinterest has a lot of cakes made of fruit. Meatloaf cupcake with mashed cauliflower for “frosting “ might be fun as well.

57. Sarah Katzin

Lol! This year, blowing candles out over food is probably not a good idea in terms of spreading COVID 19, so no candles is fine! That being said, I have seen people make “cakes” from watermelon and fruit creations and I imagine those teeny candle holders would do fine in that. In my family we stop doing candles once people get past a certain age, but maybe I will r rethink that. Happy Birthday Susan!

58. Mary

My birthday was July 1st! I have a glass candle container that says happy birthday on it in bright colors and lines. ( bright lines ?😄) that I have used for my birthday for years. I never have a cake because I would have to make one myself! I’m not a dessert eater, but don’t worry…I need my bright lines for other NMF salty things I USED to eat be fore my BL journey! I do also have a special meal, usually grilled fish or seafood and I look forward to it. And, this year, Bright Lines is my gift to myself!

59. Paula Haas

A friend made the most beautiful “cheese cake” for my birthday. It was blocks of cheese decorated with lovely pieces of fruit. It held candles quite nicely!

60. Daphna

Happy birthday dear Susan,
    I’m waiting patiently for you to gain a Nobel prize for your movement. You deserve that.

In the meantime may I recommend you about a raw fresh fruits frozen cake for your birthday candles. The internet has many recipes for that.

61. Sara

My boyfriend every year goes to the dollar store, purchases a little container, random things and candles stuck into styrofoam as a little “cake.” It’s beautiful, creative and the topic of conversation switches from “why aren’t you eating cake” to “how did you make that?!”

62. Susan Hale

To celebrate my birthday I ride my bike as many miles as I’m turning. This year I turned 50 and my sweet husband organized a schedule for each of my children and him to ride with me for a portion of my birthday ride. It was the best celebration yet!

63. Cindy Jewkes

My daughter received a birthday cake made of flowers, it even had candles on top.. It has been a joy to look at. Soon I will post a picture of it on face book.

64. Mary