An Update on Inclusivity: Sisu, Tribe, and Swearing

I’ve been meaning to shoot this vlog for you for a while. It’s a follow-up to a crucial vlog from last July called “Invited vs. Included” that resulted from a life-altering incident at the 2019 Family Reunion. I’ve spent the past several months on an incredibly important journey, and I’m going to tell you all about it in this week’s vlog. It has everything to do with the new course, too. We’re changing the name from Bright Line Sisu to Bright Line Grit, and if you want to know why, this is the vlog to watch. Trust me, you don’t want to miss this one.

Comments

1. Politically Incorrect

Please help me understand just how this promotes inclusivity. I humbly suggest it does exactly the opposite. Now it’s not safe here to use words that anyone anywhere finds offensive. Dare I open my mouth ever again? (I’m a doughy old white guy.) I love BLE. I’ve had the only success losing weight and keeping at least part of it off in my life (and I’m in my third age). I’ve often wondered why there were and are so few guys here. Now I know, at least in part. At the beginning of this vlog, Susan, you mention the demographics of BLE. Do you seriously think that all those other demographics are not coming here because of swearing? Because of language that violates the feelings of snowflakes? I doubt it. Finally, BLE is here to promote being happy, thin and free. Simple question: does this point to freedom or restriction, always wondering if the language police are going to descend? Just asking.

1. Ki

I don’t think she’s trying to tell you what to do at all; she’s only stating what she is doing.
      You are free and welcome to say whatever you like.
      What she says/does as a leading figure in BLE (and with the business) is different than what we (as members) do.
      Stay safe during these times, PI.

2. Totally incorrect

I I totally agree with politically incorrect. You changing everything based on one person’s idea of what is offensive? Stop wallowing in the white guilt.

3. stephani

I don’t think Susan was telling you not to swear, she’s not enforcing any rules on us. She’s saying that for her and her business, this is the right path forward. How does her not swearing take away from your experience? I’m also a lover of the F-word and use it daily, but her choosing not to use it does not impact me and my freedom. Hope this helps reframe it for you, have a beautiful and bright day!

4. Lisa Thurston

If you speak correct English, you can find words to say what you mean without offending others. The more you know, the better you do….just like in BLE!

1. Politically Incorrect

I respectfully disagree. I do so as a holder of a Ph.D. in humanities from a major university who has been well-educated in speaking (and writing) English correctly.. You might also ask Jordan Peterson if it’s simply a matter of being more articulate. It’s an issue of censorship by the few.

1. Lisa

My point is that when you know a word or phrase is offensive to someone, there’s another word you can choose.

5. Maggie Vining

PI, I think that different demographics are not coming here because, to be blunt, people who think and speak like you thus far have been comfortable enough to publicly write things like what you just wrote. I think you are right to be concerned by the direction BLE is taking because, in essence, in order for a more diverse group of people to find a home here, people who continue to choose to think like you will need to find this program unwelcoming, unattractive, and not a safe space to be “free” to be yourselves. I put free in quotes because there is a huge difference between freedom (as you define it) and blatant indifference to others. Your enjoyment of public indifference is what is actually being threatened by these changes, not your freedom.

1. Tawanda

Maggie: many thanks for your speaking truth to privileged insensitivity.

6. Annoyed Bright Lifer

I totally agree with you. I’m an educated adult who uses a variety of vocabulary. I find this super annoying. So if I use “swear” words what happens? Who decides what a swear word is?

2. Barbara

WOW!! That was amazing!! Thank you !

3. Nancy Goss

Great blog post.

4. Jennifer Mundy

Thank you Susan!!! I have gained much more respect for you and all you do! I’m excited for you and the many who will be listening to you! May God bless you and your team!

5. Joanne

Are you ever going to go back to eating/dieting tips in your vlogs?

1. Melody

YES!! I find myself just fast forwarding through the recent blogs.

2. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Hey Joanne,
      My vlogs are always a mix. Always have been. “The weight is the bait” and we “come for the vanity but stay for the sanity.” BLE isn’t really about food or weight. It’s about becoming the kind of people who don’t need to use food as a crutch. It’s about doing our inner work, learning to be self-compassionate, and leaning into community. I definitely still talk about food and weight, but in the approximate proportion that those topics occupy in our program. Living happy, thin, and free requires first handling the food, then moving past it. That requires a whole lot of courage and a whole lot of learning from our mistakes. It’s all relevant. My vlogs are one example of what working the BLE program as hard as you can for 17 years looks and sounds like. Food and weight topics come up now about as often as they always did. 🙂

6. Mardell

Your genuinness and ability to be vulnerable continually amazes me and keeps me listening. Isn’t the tracks laid down for swearing, or any other behavior, the same as the tracks we lay down with eating habits—- moving channels in a river bed. The same fears of it returning…..

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Yup. Same kind of fiber tracts.

7. Ki

Beautiful, moving… thank you so much for this vlog.
    Hit home as I have encountered similar issues…
    Thank you for sharing from your heart, as always.
    Thank you. Thank you.

8. Melanie

Ok,we are adults and our language is our language.
    I am offended by the Christian card and avoid it at all costs.
    You can’t please everyone all the time.
    Really,God took them out of your mouth?
    That is offensive and not inclusive,drop the holy.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Hmmm….I’d have to go back and watch to be sure, but I believe I prefaced that by saying, “What it felt like for me was…”
      This one slices both ways.
      We take extreme care to make sure that our BLE community is safe for atheists, agnostics, those who are spiritual but not religious, and those who follow any of the world’s religions.
      Here’s our policy on that, posted in every BLE community and enforced regularly:
      “Bright Line Eating is faith neutral, meaning that anyone can do Bright Line Eating and succeed, whether they have a spiritual or religious practice or not. In this community, it’s important to keep in mind that faith and religion are very important to some people, and not having faith or religion is equally important to others. What we do here is love, accept, and encourage everyone, no matter their background or beliefs. If faith is a part of your journey, you can incorporate that into your posts here, but please make sure it’s done in a way that’s respectful of people from other belief systems.”

9. Sarah

Hey Dr. Susan,

Thank you so much for pushing yourself to grow and improve. I’m so grateful for your efforts and leadership. Hugs!!

10. Joseph Meyer

OK, that´s certainly an issue for me too, thank you! Create an environnement with positive energy flowting from one person to the other, that will not be possible with one swearing person …

11. Stephanie

I know what grit is, but I had to look up Sisu. I am a praying, praising church going Christian
    and I can swear with the best of them. Learned from my Mom and Dad. In grained habits are hard to break

12. Claire

This was the best approach to this very “prickly” subject of language and intent and potential issues with such that I’ve heard…Wow-thanks for sharing!

I too have an issue with swearing…pointed out to me so sweetly when my verbal 10 month old said the f-bomb in all innocence…oops…and I too-have had my goes at stopping it…

I believe it has been easier as I’ve aged-as my verbosity has less and less emotionality behind it. I try all the way around to be slower, more thoughtful, less overwhelming (though lordy knows-all of these take constant awareness and effort-which I fail at regularly)…So much harder to do when you are an emotional, restless, distractable, and always busy person-which I am…but less so now that I am “old”.er…

I too-have a strong sense that our “purpose” is to generally become better people overall. I so value your emphasis on this aspect-because none of us is perfect and we are all a work in progress. It is good to know when we’ve had enough, or need to back off, or are experiencing whatever it is that we are experiencing. Life is pretty simple, but sometimes so complicated to figure out.

Blessings on everyone’s spring-I hope you all are in position to take advantage of this reprieve from the frantic pace we sometimes find ourselves in, and that you find yourselves on the other “side” of the challenges of this day with peace and joy in your grit!

13. Kay

Thank you Susan…I can stand a bit of swearing, but I would never forward-on anything with swear words used in it. If I forward something I feel like it comes from me and I try not to swear…it offends me and might offend people I send it to. I really appreciate your looking at this in the way you do and curbing the language so we can all learn from your wisdom! You are amazing and have so much to teach us! And I see you always ready to grow and change if it is right. Thank you!

14. Pam

Thank you for not swearing! I hope the Facebook monitors will screen out swearing as well. I think others were following your lead so I’m glad you are setting a good example.

15. Amanda Kay Creighton

As one of my mentors likes to say – “precision is love.” It’s not the words or use of the “right” and “wrong” words that creates separation, rather the energy or intention behind them, in my experience.

I appreciate your looking into this more deeply, and also feel connected to the question for each of us – “what does Sisu bring up for me?” or any other word. For me it brought up confusion and a sense of disconnect…I need to go look something up to remember what the heck that means! Tribe has a loving embrace sort of feel for me. Fuck has a separating quality to me…a harshness like I’m trying to get attention. We each have a unique relationship to words, and they also change.

I’m glad you’re looking into policies and inclusivity and what arises for me is a knowing that the team, our team, will find a way to embrace whatever feedback comes, and know that you won’t be able to find ALL the “right” words, but most of them, and when the tension comes, you can embrace that and stay in communication. LOVE that you do this through the vlog, and that we are all here together, growing and learning. I adore the energy you bring to life, Susan Peirce Thompson, and am in support of this movement continuing to reach far and wide across the globe.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

((((((((((HUG))))))))))))

16. Lisa Chirnitch

Gratitude will keep you humble and humility will help keep you at your highest self. Thank you for being real!! And yes, I would be more likely to share your vlogs with my woman’s ministry group if I knew there was no swearing. Love you! Lisa

17. Reba Thompson

Wow..Susan. Let me count the ways that I love you!! I cried for you and with you addressing this topic. My momma always told me that my space ended when another’s space began! How totally gratifying it is to hear you being so reverent to other’s feelings. God Bless You!

18. DK

We are all flawed.

19. Suzan Hill

Wow SPT! Once again your transparency is inspiring! In the buddhist 8-fold path one of the tenants is right speech – it’s not easy, it means considering the necessity, significance and intention of our communication as an on-going practice. That’s what you’re doing here for yourself and your company. It ripples out into our community – another invitation to mindfulness and self responsibility.
    I know that you get push back from everything you do . Leadership is link that. I just want to be a voice of encouragement and gratitude.
    Wishing you peace and joy in the journey!

1. Fiona

.~ tenets ~

20. Maayan Newman

Now and then you shoot a vlog that just touched me deeply because you have the courage to be vulnerable. It’s not easy to be told that we are not doing/ saying/behaving the right way…as you say “eating humble pie’…and yet those are the greatest moments. Those moments are when we truly can be of help to other people…well Susan, you just did it for me.

21. jsloman

Re: Everett C. and “parts work”. (I’m not on FB or an official Bright Lifer, so I’m posting this here..)

I think EC is terrific and incredibly smart, but all of that is taken from John Bradshaw’s HOMECOMING (fabulous book) published many years ago. Bradshaw takes you through the understanding of –and the working through your own inner child. Parts work is basically a repackaged Homecoming.

Still, nice sessions! Helpful and wise.

22. Flo

Interesting thoughts!

Pleased to hear a great explanation of why you switched “Grit” for “Sisu”. Makes sense although I kind of liked the idea of your promoting the Finnish language!

Very happy to have swear-free blogs – I suppose that at some level the swearing does offend, even if I can reason that it´s OK because it´s just your way of speaking.

23. Linda Pearcy

Thank you!! We learn, grow and mature every day…….when we admit and accept what is put before us in that “light bulb” moment.

24. Stephanie Smith

There was episode of Dr. Kildare where a man suffered a stroke and lost his ability to use language
    but he could still cuss like a sailor. Apparently people do not think when they swear it just comes out.
    It also shows poor language skills. Swearing at your car when it will not start or swearing when someone cuts you off is one thing
    but if you are giving a speech or teaching a class then such words should not be spoken.

About the word Sisu why did you have to ask someone what to do when the lady in her mail eloquently stated why but you became so upset because your rapping offended a person of color. Everybody and their Uncle has tried to rap. White folk do it all the time on TV.
    Vanilla Ice and M&M are white. It is a form of Music.

Speaking of speeding The wife of the Priest where I use to attend church had a lead food. A bunch of ladies where going to a birthday celebration. There in the middle of the road sat her SUV with a patrol car right behind it.

25. Rx

I’m grateful you changed the name from Sisu to Grit… I didn’t like the word, simply because it meant absolutely nothing to me. I couldn’t wrap my brain around it and embrace it at all. Now True Grit, that is something else! Thank you.

26. sassimint grace

Susan my many of my ancestors were from the British Isles and they lived in TRIBES. They were the first peoples or aboriginals of that part of Europe. The Romans/Christian did the same to them as was done to the first peoples of the Americas. No race has a monopoly on suffering . And BTW my ancestry includes First Nations (as we refer to it in Canada).
    The idea of cultural appropriation can go too far by times. No one group owns language. Call your program whatever you want but I think it’s time to remember Rule # 62.

1. Stephanie

I too looked up the/my Scottish and English (‘white’) tribes. Thank you for your comment!

27. Elle

Thank you for accepting responsibility and being inclusive. I think these are definitely “do better, do differently” steps. I appreciate the education around Sisu and tribe and although I do swear sometimes it grates to hear casual profanity and I tend to think less of people who cannot express themselves any other way.

28. Rx

I swear all the time, it’s a habit I find impossible to stop and yet I don’t like it when I hear others swear. Weird. However after listening to your vlog I’m going to make a concerted effort to kick it in the butt. Thanks Susan.

29. Jennifer Hernandez

Thank you loved it…. my question is if i just signed up for bootcamp do i still need to sign up for grit ??

Hi Jennifer! Welcome to Boot Camp! Bright Line Grit and the Bright Line Eating Boot Camp are separate courses. If you have the time and bandwidth right now, you could definitely do both. Totally up to you! 🧡🧡🧡

30. Lisa Thurston

I thank you for understanding that words can hurt a group of people. When we exclude people because of language, we tell them that their “being” doesn’t matter. We can all speak respectfully in true English and it won’t offend people. Let’s be kind and loving.

31. Eve Decker

Susan!! You have SUCH A WONDERFUL HEART!! You really are just a great person.

32. Cheryl Nielson

Dropping “Sisu” is somewhat understandable because it is a word specific to a particular culture. However, your doing so is actually contrary to demonstrating true respect for the Finnish culture. Language, customs, beliefs, music and other aspects of individual societies have been historically taken up by other cultures because they prove in some way beneficial to humans as a whole. Sharing our individual cultural strengths is a good thing. Teaching us about the meaning of “Sisu” and learning about the Finnish culture could have been inspiring and instructive. Instead, you have made it divisive. Even worse than your mis-steps with “Sisu” is your decision to drop the word “tribe” which, by contrast, is not a word or even concept specific to a particular culture. “Tribe” originated in ancient Rome and is now a generic word used in English in many contexts, not just Native American. How far are you going to go with this? Are Italians now supposed to be offended because you’ve dropped something that originated in their culture? If you start buckling under to every person who is offended by something—you’re going to be very busy doing nothing but revising your program in ways that distract from its intended purpose. You will also be enabling people who look for ways to be offended. Enablers don’t do themselves or the people they claim to be helping any good. You are dangerously close to driving BLE into a ditch. I suggest you examine why and get back to business.

1. Sara Anderson

Spoken like a privileged white person, Cheryl. Get a grip on yourself and check your privilege.

33. Melanie

I’m part Finnish (Grandma full Finnish). I say it’s ok to use the word! Jeeze…

1. Melanie

I think Grit does sound better though…

I am part Native American too (and French) and personally don’t have a problem with anyone using the word Tribe.

I feel it is worth mentioning that we can easily stay boxed into our own personal prisons by holding onto words etc as badges and always falling into some repetitive victim part there. Getting curious to just free and release the word(s) – give them up to the world/cosmos – offer them is always a path to consider and try (even if just for curiosity’s sake).

34. Debbi Neher

Ahhh, Susan. Today I love you all over again! Thank you for your spirit of service and humility, and sharing some of your growth experiences with us. I am now off to check out Trudi Lebron’s website…. guessing I’m going to love her and have one more thing to thank you for! Stay safe and well during the pandemic.

35. Kelly

I love “Grit” and I love that you walked us through your process. Thank you for sharing this piece.

36. Linda Jupiter

Thank you, Susan. I always appreciate your talks but today’s vlog on inclusivity reach new important heights and I completely fell in love with you. Thank you for such caring and honesty and hard work. There would be no “isms” in the world if we all did the work you just did in this video. You rock!

37. Lida

Good for you, Susan!

38. Patricia O'Connor

Well said, Susan.

39. Peggy

Thank you so much Susan. I am part of that 13 % and I happen to believe the percentage of us that don’t like to hear swearing is actually higher if a true poll was taken. I have noticed that you have worked on this and I appreciate it so much. I have never felt we need to stoop so low as to use offensive language either through swearing or racial remarks so thank you. It takes a strong loving woman to correct her mistakes. I personally have moved you up a few notches since this and you were pretty high already. Lol

40. Denise

Thank you, Susan, for your sensitivity to those around you. I appreciate the change from Sisu to Grit; Sisu never felt right, and, if this is a word that has specific, national pride-type meaning for the Finns, then I don’t believe that we should be using it. Some things really are off limits. As to the word “tribe”, I didn’t really understand the problem when you first mentioned it several months ago, but with this explanation it makes sense. I agree that, sometimes, we adopt a word from another language/culture because it fits what we are trying to say, or we use it in a way that expresses/encompasses admiration for those people. For me, “tribe” is one of those words. But again, I see the point. As to the swearing, I’ve been around long enough to know how hard this has been for you, and I applaud your efforts. But sometimes it takes something personally earth-shaking for us to move in the direction we need to go, to disrupt our roots and grow. Congratulations! I know that the incident last July was pretty devastating to you, but I’m so thankful that you used it for good!

41. Susan

Absolutely right on. All of the vlog. And for any woman who has suffered rape with the same verbal abuse, or said abuse minus the rape, the f-word is a torture, completely unsafe. Bravo, BLE, for taking a stance.

42. Pam

I like the name Grit better

43. Regina

Thank you for the education and the changes. You have helped me so much. Thanks

44. Catherine W.

This is the most loving vlog I have ever heard you do. I also contacted you a couple of years ago about this issue, and I had a good response from Lynn Coulston. To me, the swear words are like ugliness poured over me, particularly in a context like this. Yes, I can tune them out in the day to day world or in a movie, but when I keen to hear your message, the swear words got in the way. I have heard that the essence of good manners is to make other people comfortable — e.g., it’s not appetizing to sit across from a person chewing with their mouth wide open. Also, these words are like using triggering food words instead of NMF. Avoiding them is how we love one another.

I respect you all the more for this decision and the thought and effort behind your resolve.

45. Jana Baker

Wow, Susan! You gave me a lot to think about – especially use of the word “tribe” which I was actually starting to use more! I always enjoy your VLOGs. Keep up the good work!

46. Judy Fuller

WONDERFUL! I can’t thank you enough for this vlog, your willingness to “take a look,” as you have admonished to be done regarding our eating challenges, and to be humble, as well as bold, enough, to change for the better!
    The swearing issue is what has troubled me, from the first time I ever heard you do so …it was a real shock, because I have always considered you to be a “professional” and it’s always been my understanding that we can count on “professionals” to NOT swear in their “professional setting.” So it was really amazing to me to learn from this vlog that you had used such language during the years you taught college classes!
    It also appears that you desire to have a relationship with God, and I trust that God has touched your heart and given you the ability to no longer swear; I pray that you are also able to trust Him for continuing to provide that ability!
    MOST of all, I’m thrilled to think that your three precious girls are no longer subjected to such (I hope) in your home, because our children are always a reflection of ourselves—“do what I say, not what I do” just doesn’t work!!
    With much love,

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Don’t know how exactly, but I never swore in front of my kids. I just couldn’t translate that to adult company until now…

47. Pat

Deep appreciation Susan for your authenticity, vulnerability, integrity and willingness to learn and grow and see and honor the point of view of persons whose identity was directly implicated. While the term was not explicitly used, in considering Susan’s process to consider the Sisu email writer’s position, it will help folks to center the discussion on “CULTURAL APPROPRIATION” rather than on being “offensive.” “Appropriation” has been defined as “the illegal, unfair, or unjust taking of something that doesn’t belong to you.” Not being of the Finnish culture, it would be unjust to take the term that invokes the Finnish people’s struggle and resilience and MAKE COMMERCIAL USE OF IT, especially in a commercial context as a name of a non-Finnish product or program. So be “inspired” by the Finnish peoples’ Sisu; however, don’t make commercial use of it. One culture’s appropriating / “taking” from another culture has historically been normalized and justified by the dominant culture(s) / those doing the taking. The fact that cultural appropriations have been committed many, many times in many, many contexts doesn’t make it good or right or fair or just.

I also respect Susan’s decision to right a wrong by centering the IMPACT of her choice of program name on person(s) OF THAT CULTURE rather than her INTENT in choosing the name or the comments by people not of Finnish descent.

48. Chicago

You are flippin’ amazing. I start my day motivated once again by your vlog. Thank you. Stay well!

49. Diane Boissett

Maybe the meaning and use of the word ‘Sisu’ should have been researched better before it was put out there. I love BLE, it has helped me. Here comes the but, but the changes in the way of presenting and the renaming of the course leads me to wonder if the content has been thought out fully and whether it will be worth the investment. I believe in a higher power, but blanch at the praising of God that goes on in BLE forums, do we stop that as well seeing as I find it disturbing? There’s going to be stuff that is said and written that will cheese of someone, somewhere. That’s life.. If you have a message that is of value, own it, speak it and damn the consequences. SPT, I don’t need to like you to follow your program, but I need you to bring your whole self to the table, not just the parts that you think people will respond more favourably to. This program leaves us so vulnerable, I’d appreciate loving leadership over preaching, walk your own path.

1. Diane

Apologies, I wanted to add that I am not American and am struggling to understand what all the fuss is about. I am not being flippant, I find it hard to fathom.

50. Gill

That was a wonderful flog Susan, showing such insight and sensitivity. I’m so pleased you’ve dropped the swearing.I recoil when someone uses the F word I just HATE it.. Thankyou

51. Linda

That was fantastic!!! I’m so impressed with your honesty, self awareness, humbleness, strength, and compassion!!! You are truly inspiring! Keep strong! Thank you for all your leadership and direction!!!
    You are making the world a brighter place!!!!

52. Sherri

Please return to posting vlogs that focus on information and strategies that support BLE. I’m struggling with following my food plan with four kids in the house doing online school and a husband working from home. They have different start times in the morning and different lunch breaks. I am in the kitchen all day long preparing and serving food and finding it extremely difficult to stick with three meals a day. Also trying to support local restaurants by ordering in so I have more “not my food” around than usual. Help!

Oh Sherri, what you are doing is so difficult! It is a choppy time for many of us in different ways right now. Do you use Facebook at all? Susan has been doing regular Facebook lives there where she has been answering questions like yours. If you can’t make it live, you can watch the replays at your convenience. As a busy mama, we understand that making it live might be very difficult. Here’s a direct link (if you do use Facebook) where you can watch some of those lives and get some support during this chaotic and troubling time. https://www.facebook.com/pg/BrightLineEating/videos/

Sending so much love to you!

🧡🧡🧡

53. Michelle

Way to go Susan! I had the same experience 28 years ago when my daughter was born. I remember seeing this beautiful incredibly innocent baby staring up at me with love in her eyes, and I knew I wanted her to have the best life I could possibly give her. Until that moment I had believed that swear words were powerful words that made me strong. After that awakening moment I knew they were powerfully defiling and I wanted to replace them with new words accompanied by a life giving attitude. l I asked God to help me quit swearing and he did. It took time but it happened less and less. Then I realized it has been years since I did. My daughter grew up to be a confident loving woman who carefully chooses her words to encourage and build those around her up. She just had her second baby and now showers her children, husband and friends with incredible love and joy. Words do matter. God can help everyone if we only ask. It may take time, but it’s worth it.

54. Teresa

Dear Susan, I just listened to your vlog about changing the name of the new course and not cursing and all…. how gracious of you and I want to applaud you for being open to change those things …I for one am so thankful that you are going to watch your language because I too like to share the blogs and videos with others and that’s something that’s important to me is to have beautiful language. I could say more I love BLE and I know you get the picture thank you… Teresa Y

55. Marcia Corenman

Very poignant vlog. Now I have a greater understanding as to why I felt uncomfortable with Sisu. I appreciate your deep dive you’ve to difficult topics. Thank you for demonstrating a way through for each of us who desires to become more authentic.

56. Kay robinson

The swearing does not bother me at all, in fact I am one that feels it makes you more human and normal and I also agree that people choose to be here and no one agrees with everything a person does and the fact that to me at least a bit of swearing actually made you a more real person was a good thing . I don’t know much about the word SISU but I can see that. I live in Texas where there are alot of Rebel Flags and I never understood why someone would be offended by that (or statues etc.) because “I” had nothing to do with it but wow, I get it so clearly now . It has nothing to do with what I did but every thing to do with honoring what they did when we are better than that now. So happy to move to the work Grit.

57. CT

tired of the self promotion of her journey and her issue, people come here for good nutrition and healthy eating advice, dont’ need it, this is for a different forum, close to being done with BLE, i am having much better success with am I allowed to say it here! WW wish you well are

58. Margaret

I’m 62 and have only started to up my self awareness game in the past 7ish years. It’s humbling and a bit humiliating at times to come face to face with my shortfalls. I applaud you Susan for being so vulnerable to share your growth story. Everyone’s story is different but thanks for leading the way. I cried some healing tears listening today. Thank you!

59. Kate

Good grief! Susan had some decisions to make based on issues that were brought to her attention. She made informed and reasonable choices and went with them. And she decided to stop swearing. Good for her! It’s not anyone else’s business whether she feels God helped her or not! Be happy for her progress as she is happy for yours! The nitpicking in some of these comments seems so selfish and self righteous. Are you as perfect as you expect Susan to be? Perhaps you would like her to be a robot. Susan, it amazes me how much you continue to personally grow despite the armor of thick skin you must have had to develop. But you are ‘grit’ personified! And such a great role model for your kids. Thank you for always trying your absolute best with always good intentions. No question. Thank you awesome lady!

1. Sara

I could NOT agree more, Kate. Well said. Thanks for your positivity!

60. Kim McGuire

Love your insights and genuine efforts to include all of us! This is why I stay connected to you, even though I don’t keep bright lines with my food. You keep it real SPT! Love it!!

61. jeanne smith

Susan your grace and humility are so powerful. Your open ness to learning is so inspiring. Thank you. Looking forward to Grit Class.
    If only it would allow me to log in. Tech difficulties are so frustrating. Keep up the good work. You are Fabulous Dahling. Thank you

Jeanne, have you been able to get all your tech bugs figured out and resolved? If you do need tech support, please be sure to reach out to the team by going to support.brightlineeating.com. At the bottom of that page is a large, yellow button you can click to send in your request. We definitely want to ensure you are well taken care of and that you have all the resources and access you need for a successful course! 🧡🧡🧡

62. Helen Spingola

Oh for Pete’s sake Susan! I, we, love you with or without the f word! You have changed our world, and whether it was done with or without the
    f word, who cares? Am sure your opening up about it makes you feel better, but for some of us, its importance rates very low on any scale.We
    love you, respect you and above all (fkng need you!!!!

63. Joe S.

I commented on the first vlog on inclusivity that your greatest character asset in my estimation is your courage. I say that again, as this vlog shows. I add to my estimation of your character assets your honesty and your willingness to acknowledge suffering, both yours and others’, as a primary requisite for living a life in search of the good. Not swearing is your challenge, and anyone who sees this vlog as a dictum directed toward them is a fool. I swear like a sailor too, on occasion, but your purpose for not swearing is personal and dynamic and morally good–for you, your brand, your community and, I suspect. your family. To your critics I say, to not recognize the suffering we all must experience in addressing the existential problem of navigating the daily exigencies of self-awareness that lie between the banks of being and nothingness is to be lacking self-knowledge and moral virtue. Your inclusivity vlogs (and others as well) incline me to believe that no matter how close you may come (or feel you come) to running aground in your journey downstream, your willingness to stay honest and humble shows how well-suited you are to be steering your boat. And being a witness to your navigating skill helps me to steer my boat safely too. Thanks.

64. Kim Fiedler

I listened to this vlog ONLY because it had SISU in the total. I teach history and we have studied the Finnish SISU specifically during the Winter War. I love that SISU means bold grit and the ability to persevere and that they can’t be kept down. I taught the students that it was positive! I’m listening to your talk as I’m typing – and you just got to the name change GRIT (as I would describe SISU) Your thoughtfulness is admirable. I listened all the way to the end. Well done!

65. Judy

What I find interesting is that what has worked with you for dropping swearing is the same approach that worked for eating.: creating bright lines. Kind of the New’s Year’s Resolution approach. I’m looking forward to reading Lahey & Kagen’s book Immunity to Change when I get it through Amazon to learn more about how people can achieve the changes they want to make. We all need grace and we all have flaws. It is admirable that you are trying to balance what people want from you with what you are able to give. Take care of yourself and know that we love you just the way you are. As you know, unless you are making these changes for yourself, they will not take hold.

66. Amanda Boyington

Well SHOOT!!! Lol.
    I’ll never forget the first time I heard you say the F word in a Vlog. I was new and binge watching you on YouTube. My thought was, “okay, this is someone I can really get behind. No BS. She says it like it is. No pretense, just raw honesty.” I felt at home….but then I’m also 24 years in AA, a notorious speeder and I always swear like a “ truck driver” (as the saying goes). I honestly have just never understood why people take such offense to swear words. They’re only words I would say! However… now, of second thought… so in the N word and I’d never utter it. ( I loved your humble July vlog btw. Very moving. As always, it got my mind spinning about all the ways in which I remain so very ignorant.) And now this vlog. I’m in Grit and so I was wondering about the name change. I had intended to only watch the first few minutes of this vlog because, I’ll be honest, my first thought was, “oh great! More rules in life…now we can’t ever swear. Ugh…what the ….!”. And then I got curious and aware of my resistance and I told myself to just listen Amanda. What I leave with is one word… inclusivity. I do not feel NOT included if you don’t swear, but I hear you, some people do feel not included if you do swear. I could get up in arms and call them “snowflakes” and say they need to get over their sensitivities or I could look at where I need to grow and be more sensitive to others. April 11, 2020 as part of the Grit program, I, Amanda Boyington, vow to do my best to no longer use words that cause other people discomfort. Here goes. Lastly, Susan, I’d just like to woke my girlfriends of color and thank you for being so very woke. 😉

Love what you’ve shared here, Amanda! 🧡🧡🧡 Interesting to go along with you as you sorted that out in your mind.

67. Jacqueline T

Susan, 3 wonderful examples of you living CONSCIOUSLY, something we all should do every minute of every day. Thank you.

68. Dianne

It’s so refreshing Susan, to see you acknowledge you still need to grow, you are willing to, and you can and will make efforts to change. This is why, even though I am the SLOWEST turtle, I continue to follow.

69. Sara

Susan,

I’m amazed as always by your vulnerability and authenticity. I think it’s safe to say that COVID has people on edge and that you can, just off the top, safely disregard a solid 50 percent of the toxic comments and chalk them up strictly to people under intense stress. You are one of those gracious people who will separate the chaff from the grain and, with the breath of kindness, blow away that which does not serve you or this community.

Don’t do a THING differently. You’re REAL and you are loved. This stuff about examining white privilege is amazing. Thank you!

70. Rayna Swee

This made me feel safe Susan, I just love that you )look out for people and their feelings. I have struggled with swearing as well and I know after this pandemic I will go back to work with a cleaner mouth and less weight on my body. Thank you for everything you do to make this an inclusive environment. I love you!!

71. Laura

I’m among those who cringed when Susan uses the term sisu. I’m a Finnish American on both sides of my family and I hadn’t been able to pinpoint why it bothers me that it’s used by BLE, but now I understand. Thanks. I am glad you’ve decided to drop your use of that term.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

72. Jill Rody

What you are doing is called Integrity and professionalism. Than you Susan.
    I too am one of those people who feels the effects of swear words as violating my senses, pounding at and bludgeoning me with a need to control me. I know, perhaps most people who swear don’t mean it that way, but still I feel it that way. Outside my home I can’t control what other people do, but I’m very happy with your progress to keep the language of BLE uplifting, clean, and progressive. There is not race, colour, or creed which has a law against being good and pure of tongue!

73. RJ

Thank you, Susan! Your example in learning, growing and caring is beautiful. Bless you!

74. Sharon Osojnak

This really made me smile.. I lead a BLE group in a church. To educate them regarding BLE I attached a blog to my announcement — then realized you used an F-Bomb. It was too late. I sent it out. Noone ever mentioned it, but I felt a bit embarrased. Cleaning up the language is appreciated. Thank you.

Sharon

75. Amy

I’m very thankful that you don’t swear. I’m new to the program and would not have felt comfortable joining if that had been the case. I have shared your vlogs and books with my sisters, grown children and husband. Love this program! Grateful!

76. LynneF

Hi Susan, this vlog is very important to me for a number. of reasons. Thank you for spending time and energy on ‘BLE and Inclusivity’. It’s great that your team will soon do focused training.
    I’ve been deliberating about trusting your guidance and the BLE program in general. As a working class/middle class lesbian, I’ve wondered if BLE will be a safe place for me. This vlog goes a long way toward answering that question.
    In particular, I greatly appreciated hearing your personal deliberations and honest challenges. You were real and clearly shared from the heart. Your thoughtful long pause during the vlog reached my heart too. I cried.
    It is helpful to learn about you and your desire to make BLE inclusive, safe, and welcoming for everyone, or at least for as many people as possible. Embracing diversity is important for so many reasons.
    For me, being respectful of others and learning how to be more sensitive to them, opens a door to deeper connection. It teaches me more about how to love and gives me the opportunity to align my words with my mind and heart. Although it isn’t easy to consciously change my language, it does change something deep within me. In good conscience I can no longer use the phrase ‘deaf, dumb and blind’ or say ‘free at last’ at the end of a long work day. Thanks for listening.

77. Ccj

This blog is great. As a person of color, I often feel self-conscious that ble does not reflect people who look like me. Thank you for addressing the lack of diversity in the program and you’re genuine attempts to make it more inclusive to all groups. personally, I’m going to continue to swear like a sailor, but your thought process in why you are choosing not to use certain words because of what it can mean to other people who are not like you is fantastic.

78. Ellen

Honestly to me the use of sisu vs. grit , or tribe vs. community is of no difference to me. I also can drop the f-bomb like a sailor, especially when emotional. What truly spoke to me in this was the reason given for her to stop using that word. I do not feel it is censorship to be considerate of anyone’s feelings. I never considered that my cussing could be a trigger for someone else. Thank you for helping me today!