Why Don’t I Bite My Nails Anymore?

A short while ago, a Bright Lifer told me about a strange discovery she had made, and I was so fascinated that I decided to shoot an entire vlog on the topic. Watch to hear what happened and what I think about it.

Comments

1. Shawna Murph

Susan, I love that you took the time to research scientific possibilities to my delightful non scale victory! It makes complete sense Susan. I adore you, and my nails thank you!

Hi Shawna! Thank YOU for sharing this interesting tidbit for the vlog. We adore you! 🧡🧡🧡🧡

2. Stacey Reichardt

I think it had something to do with fulfilling a nutritional deficiency.

1. Suze Dee

I think the nervous system relaxes more easily when we are eating right, and living a life that is based on integrity. Reduced stress though nutrition, meditation and doing what’s right!

2. Viv

I’ve wondered about that, too, if nail-biting may be a natural response to replace a possible enzyme/probiotic deficiency in the gut. In my case, I had colic as a baby and bit my nails from like age 3 to 13 when pressure from parents made me stop biting nails and start dermatillomania—which continues 47 years later and has not stopped in 2.5 years on BLE. Perhaps because my digestive trac was so damaged before I was born and I have yet to find the remedy and the correct balance of probiotics?

I also think reducing stress behaviors has to do with up-regulation of the dopamine receptors, which eases stress and stabilizes and improves mood.

Finally, I have noticed a reduction in my other anxiety-response behaviors. For instance, 1) I don’t overly stock-up on food (for me or the pets) anymore; 2) I don’t have as strong a desire for shopping in general (I have way more than enough clothes that fit, and I have been able to unload so many of them without emotional devastation); 3) I’m not thrift-shopping for household items so much anymore. More of my money is sitting in the bank than ever in the last 30 years, which is really amazing.

3. Nancy Goss

I believe the changes in the gut microbiome due to the elimination of sugar, flour and highly processed foods change the way the brain works. When the gut bacteria change for the better, the brain changes. These changes could manifest in different ways—less anxiety, less obsessive behaviors, less impulsiveness, etc. please address the microbiome.

4. Car

I really like what you had discovered. I’ll be applying this technique to my life, spending time changing three of my most annoying habitual behaviors. I’ll need six weeks.

5. Jennifer de Jung

I was at that Brightest meeting mentioned and I have also stopped biting my nails (which I had bitten on and off… mostly on… for almost 70 years. My nails are also healthier… no more vertical splits. Now I have files in my purse and at the various places I hang out in my house and if I’m out in the woods, even a rock will do. Such a wonderful unexpected freedom and no more nail biting shame!!

1. Shawna Murph

I’m laughing so hard Jennifer “Even a rock will do” ….hahahahah!!!!!

6. Tina

There are other things that are affected . For myself there are 2 things I’ve noticed:
    I am thinking very clearly now as before I felt in a fog.
    The second is that I have no tolerance for drama or negativity with “friends”. I see clearer who I want to be in my life. Thank you Susan!

Coming out of the “fog” seems to be a common non-scale victory! 🧡 Happy for you and your clarity, Tina!

7. Olin

This is very interesting but it might be better to describe it as possibly being related to the increased will power developed by will power exertion rather than stating it as a know based on a theory, almost the first theory that came to mind. It would be good to do some research to see if it is true and if the effect of BLE on increased will power could be quantified in some meaningful ranges. That would be very valuable to people struggling with all kinds of addictions / will power drains.

8. Claire

I have been an inveterate nail biter my entire life. After a particularly difficult and emotional time with my ailing mother (with whom I had a rather contentious relationship with),I became so overwhelmed on the six hour drive home that I had to pull over and just start writing…it was probably the angriest outpouring on paper of my entire life. I then got out of the car and took the dog for a looooooonnnnnnnggggggg walk.
    I haven’t hardly ever bitten my nails since…and like Shawna and Mike-it was totally un anticipated or directed in any way by effort to change that habit.
    -I did seek immediate counseling-as I knew I had to deal with the situation with all the grace I could muster as my mothers time on earth was limited. It all came to a peaceful transition for which I am eternally grateful.
    I suspect that many people have found BLE to be a supportive emotional group-which helps us not to “eat ourselves” in all sorts of ways.Those “body messages” are sometimes really hard to decipher.

Thank you for sharing your heart and experience Claire. The “peaceful transition” sounds like such a gift. 🧡

9. Susan Ratcliffe

This is the first time I have watched your vlog, and I have a delivery tip for you. You continually looked up either at the ceiling I once took a speech course with a renowned speech trainer. He said that looking up when delivering a statement makes the audience think you are making up the ideas. His tip was to glance down instead as if you are checking notes. It out do have an attractive delivery style but the constant looking up is distracting. Look at the camera , or glance down. I hope you don’t mind my “speech tip”.

Hi Susan! Welcome and thanks for watching. We hope you’ll stick around! 🧡

1. Catherine

Hi Susan, I meant to go back to a comment I made a few weeks ago that you may remember where I said I listen to you because you’re interesting (but never got around to it). And this comment just sparked the memory! I just wanted to say, the part of that comment where I was critical had a lot of self criticism in it – you remind me a little bit of myself – and that I think is why my brain didn’t self edit that part to sound kinder. Sorry!

10. Sandy

Susan – I’m missing your cute little eye roll about now. Guessing you got enough comments about it but I just wanted to say I loved it. It’s real. Plus I do it myself and look up when I’m trying to formulate my speech to coincide with my thoughts. Keep up the thought provoking ideas!.

11. Deb

I quit biting my nails too! :~)

12. Ann

I would tend to think there is a nutritional answer. I have described it this way: I no longer feel “jangly.” My nerves seem to have settled down, and I am sure it has to do with clean eating, and eating more fat. I don’t eat lowfat anything, but eat high fat options (like whole milk and yogurt) and healthy fats on the BLE plan, in addition to all the other healthy whole foods that are allowed in the program.

13. Wendy

My lifelong constant nail-biting habit dropped away without effort on my part when I reached my 50s. This was long before I found or started BLE. Perhaps it just happens sometimes..

14. Kjersti

Hi – I think the nervous system theory is better. Remeber we have bitten nails since childhood.
    Insulin triggers the sympatethic nervous system. Less insulin = less triggers.

Just shortly after starting BLE I felt as if a calming balm was applied om my whole internal self. It was a physical calm I had not felt before. And I stopped biting my nails.

My nails and hair also got stronger. That is a part of it too. That is from better nutrition.

15. Brent Walsh

This made me think about something I did yesterday. I’ve been doing the BLE program for about a week and yesterday I organized my office at work. People walked in and said, “Hey! It looks great in here!” Not that it had been particularly dirty before, but it had piles of clutter here and there that gave it a disorganized first impression. It had been that way since I started working in this office over a year ago. Somehow when my eating habits shifted and became more structured this last week, my brain decided it wanted structure and organization in other areas. I think there is some validity to this theory.

What you’ve said about your brain wanting structure and organization is definitely a common occurrence. It seems that once we get our food under control we have a desire to improve in various areas! You’re doing great, Brent! Shine on! 🧡

16. PandasHeart

As a life-long nail biter, I was so excited to watch this video. My lines have a been a little blurry the last few months (danged latte habit) and I am currently nail biting. Boy, will I be watching my nails as I get back to my bright lines! I know when I was keeping strictly bright, there was a bit less stress because I felt more in control of myself.

I’m not able to watch the weekly vlog due to lack of good broadband but I am so happy to have watched this one.

17. Lisa

I just finished the 14 day challenge and found that my impulse control is sky high! Eliminating sugar and flour has helped in every area of my life! I eat out les, spend less and find I am more productive and creative! I am a Bright Line believer! I will drink whatever SUGAR feee kool aid you recommend! Thank you Susan Pierce Thompson!❤️

Ha ha! Love this, Lisa! It’s so true that once we get our food in order, it’s like we feel control of so many other areas of our lives too! 🧡

18. Arden

Susan, I have to say that you are a radiant person and a very positive influence. You look beautiful because you have inner beauty as well as outer. Thank you for your very interesting vlogs.

19. Jenna C Reed Livingston

Susan, I’ve gone back-and-forth (and back again!) on BLE for years. I still have original BLE meal plans and printouts dated 2016 (or earlier) and I have never fully stuck with it. Doctors found a brain tumor about two weeks ago and a diagnosis like that really changes a person’s outlook. I want to come out the other side of this being stronger than ever. I just re-upped on the 14-day challenge and I’m ready to try again. It’s time to lose the weight and get healthy. Thank you for all you do.