StickK Contracts

A few years ago, I shot a vlog about a super effective tool in Bright Line Eating called stickk contracts. I’ve recently been using them a lot and found them very helpful, and I realized there’s probably a lot of people in our community who haven’t heard about them yet or might need a refresher. Watch this week’s vlog to learn more.

Comments

1. Sally white

Thank you Susan.. another creative and extremely useful tool..

1. Stephanie

Beeminder is my favorite web service ever. I have written custom scripts in Zapier and Heroku to get data into Beeminder where they do not already have integreations.

Thanks for the recommendation, Justin! Always fun to learn about new resources. <3

2. Claudia Brauer

Yes, I must have heard your first blog on Stickk some months ago because I have several Stickk contracts at present. As you say, i made the mistake of entering long-term commitments and reporting frequently and have had to pay several undeserved penalties for failing to report on travel days or days when I have been exhausted, so yes, it is s wonderful tool when we use it for short-term commitments or commitments that have a one or two-time reporting events. Thanks so much for finding this wonderful tool, it dies help a lot if you use it appropriately.

3. Doris Vorndran

Excellent tool and appreciated! Thank you for sharing! I can see this coming in quite handy and effectively! Much love and gratitude Susan

4. Shel Barker

Here’s my experience the sticKkcontract. In the beginning it was working really well but the goal that I chose was to lose weight. Using stickK for losing weight is a not a good option just because our weight fluctuates. Fire the first 3 weeks, I was keeping my lines bright, the weight was coming off at a reasonable clip and I exceeded the goals set for the first 3 of 9 weeks, corresponds with RBRZ 2020. As I get closer to my menstruation cycle , I typically put on anywhere from 3 to 5#. This time, I weighed in at 1.1# gain which was amazing but according to the expected 0.8# weight loss for the week,
    I failed that week’s goal and had to pay a fine. That was enough to trigger a WTF throw in the towel tantrum into a mini ditch.
    I’ve since regained some semblance of normalcy and back bright for the last 3 days (period ended 2 days ago, so that helps). The bloat has begun to recede and in starting to feel more like myself as the weight goes back down. So lesson learned: it’s good for behavior adjustment, it’s good for commitments but I don’t believe it’s good for weight loss graduate weight loss is NOT linear. I gave myself 9 weeks to drop those last few pounds but sheer will and dedication to maintaining my lines is not enough to overcome basic physiology. Now I know. Great video Dr. SPT!

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Right! Great point!
      StickK contracts are best used for behaviors we can 100% control. (Our weight loss isn’t in that category….but maintaining shiny bright lines is.)
      I learned that lesson the hard way once too, just like you describe here.

5. Janeen Jackson

Just what I needed. I have been having difficulty staying motivated to write down foods, and to do my daily stretching/physio exercises. I didn’t know what to do. Have downloaded stick app. Fingers crossed.

Let us know how it goes for you, Janeen, and what you think! <3

6. Daniel Reeves

I’m excited to see the Beeminder love in the comments here (thanks y’all!) and figured I’d repeat my comment from Youtube since this is probably a better place for such discussion:

Powerful testimonial for StickK! Data nerds will of course prefer Beeminder (I’m a founder of Beeminder) and we have a collection of similar tools at https://blog.beeminder.com/competitors

One question: StickK’s code is open source?

And a comment: the problem you point out about long-term contracts, Beeminder has what we immodestly think is a brilliant solution for. Namely, goals are long-term by default but you can change the commitment at any time — with a one-week delay. We call it the akrasia horizon. Would love to nerd out with you more about these things!

PS: We’re huge fans of bright lines and mention them a lot on our blog and in the Beeminder forum. 🙂

PPS: I mean bright lines generally; I’ve just now learned of the 4 specific ones that comprise Bright Line Eating. I think they make a ton of sense!

Hi Daniel! Thanks for sharing about Beeminder! Sounds like another great tool! <3

7. Diane Boissett

Thank you! I Don’t recall hearing about this tool before.. I have just downloaded the app and have added a goal for this weekend, food related that has seen me gain back weight that I’d lost. This is the accountability that I need to get me out of the ditch and back on track. Definitely setting short term goals to help limit the overwhelm.

8. Sammy

I much prefer a positive approach than a punishment based approach. I don’t want to stick to my commitments to avoid “pain”. I want to stick to them to have positive reward! (much like how I would teach children or train dogs, I suppose). But to each his own.