Let’s Make History…TOGETHER

This is, without a doubt, the most important vlog I’ve ever put out into the world. The global Bright Line Eating community has the opportunity, this moment, today, to make history. You probably already know that doctors do not receive significant education about nutrition and lifestyle in medical school. Crazy, right? Well, what may be even crazier is that there is something we can do RIGHT NOW to change that. It’s an unbelievable opportunity. There’s a lot to it, and I share it all in this video. I know this vlog is long, but please watch to the end, because if you miss this message, you will literally be missing your opportunity to help make history. Let’s revolutionize the field of medicine. Together. Today.

UPDATE:
IT’S DONE!!! WE DID IT!!!

The Bright Line Eating community raised all the money in LESS THAN THREE DAYS’ time. Amazing!!! Thank you. Wow. We love you.

The $250,000 donation campaign to fund the creation of a test bank of questions is complete. If you still want to make a tax-deductible donation to the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, additional funds will help further the Lifestyle Medicine mission, including creating CURRICULUM materials to help TEACH health care practitioners the science and medicine of treating and preventing disease through healthy nutrition and lifestyle.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

Comments

1. Josh Cohen

Superb, SPT!

2. Safiyyah Cummings

Oh my stars!

3. Patricia O'Connor

Powerful!

1. Cheryl

Hey Susan!!

Ocean Robbins mentioned this fact on a Hayhouse Summit a couple years ago. I was so surprised that nutrition wasn’t on the Medical exam. I went to the doctors for my physical and I asked my doctor were you required to learn about nutrition to become a doctor she said no.

Unbelievable.!!!!

I have an idea 💡 when everyone goes to the doctor why not fill out a few questions while waiting for the doctor to arrive. Asking questions about food addiction and diet & excercise and healthy or un healthy relationships.

I’m so glad Ocean & you got together & now the river of life is flowing. This will happen no doubt. I hope and pray that you can meet your goal by December 31, 2019.
      Keep up the good work Susan !! I’ve been listening to your Vlog since the beginning. I can’t wait until next week😁

Remember the old saying an 🍏 a day keeps the doctor away

♥️🕊

Cheryl

4. Elizabeth Heisinger

The submit button does not work

Hi Elizabeth! We are so sorry you’re having trouble with that! It does appear to be working on our end and donations are coming in, so we’d love to ask if you could try from a different browser or device! We definitely want to ensure you can make your donation! <3

1. Holly Medeiros

I also found the submit button didn’t work. I am on a desktop computer and when I hit submit nothing really happened. I never have a problem on this computer. Now I’m not sure whether to try again because my card may get hit twice? What is suppose to happen when I hit submit? Will a confirmation come up?

1. Holly Medeiros

All set! I had to submit 3 times in order to get the submission confirmation. But happy to donate to a great cause! Bring on the revolution!

Thank you for not giving up, Holly! 🧡🧡

5. Krissy

I just donated! My 13-year-old son has severe congenital heart defects. It has been a constant battle every time he’s in the hospital to ensure that he has nutritious real food available. It started when he was a newborn – they wanted to feed him formula and supplement with breast milk. It typically escalates to me meeting with the head of nutrition for the division. I will be so thankful when I no longer have to fight for my child to eat real food, in a children’s hospital, on the cardiac floor. It’s a privilege to help educate doctors to protect those who don’t have a voice or the knowledge. Thank you!

6. Jennifer Mundy

This is so amazing! Wow! It’s about time! Yay Susan! This is exciting times!

7. Linda Dickerson

Susan you are amazing!

8. Sonja Waters

I’m so proud to be here in this moment, a member of this movement. Thank you!

9. Malkah Geller

This is so exciting and mind-boggling. I just donated because I want to be part of making history. You rock, Susan!

10. Kathy Brick

Holy moly! Congratulations! You’re a true inspiration and are a beautiful gift from God. Thank you thank you thank you ❤️

11. Linda Aker

Lets make a difference. This is amazing. thank you for letting us be a part of this opportunity.

12. BJ Gallagher

Is it OK to share this vlog with a nutritionist friend who’s not in the BLE community?

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

OF COURSE!!!!!

13. Laurie E

Yes! This is an amazing opportunity! Thank you Ocean for getting the conversation to this point!

14. Sarah Katzin

I would really love doctors to understand that “two-thirds of the population are really resistant to change based on information alone” and do more than just tell people to eat blueberries rather than donuts!

15. Evi Desser, RN, NP

YES, SUSAN, YES!!! I have attended the Plantrician Project’s annual education conferences three times and always thought you should BE THERE educating health care providers about food addiction and the susceptibility scale! It is the missing link in Lifestyle Medicine’s armamentarium! I am so glad Ocean hooked you in! My sister in law, Eydie is on the board of the Plantrician Project and good friends with Susan Bennigan…I will forward her this vlog!

Thank you for sharing and for helping spread the word, Evi! ❤️

16. Susan Masterson

Thank you Ocean Robbins and Susan Peirce Thompson!

17. Anokhi

This vlog, like many others, was well done since you are charismatic and eloquent. As a doctor, I will say that very little of the information on nutrition is actually unknown by peers. We are all intelligent enough to understand the soft addictions present in our world and the need for healthier habits. As was said, everyone understands that blueberries are healthier than processed food. I don’t believe having test questions is going to change the environment, that is dictated by corporations. And it is the environment that makes up 70% of our health. There is data supporting this and I would love to have you speak on the long term impact of being taught nutrition basics — specifically, given that programs like Virta are more effective than bright line eating.

1. Steve McClellan

“We are all intelligent enough to understand the soft addictions present in our world and the need for healthier habits.”

This strikes me as exactly the problem that we’re fighting against.

The term “soft addictions” is primarily associated with Dr. Judith Wright, who describes them like this: “Soft addictions are those seemingly harmless habits like watching too much television, over-shopping, surfing the Internet, gossiping — the things we overdo but we don’t realize it.” (Source: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/let-go-taming-soft-addictions)

Look at the science that Dr. Thompson has presented in her books, the Food Freedom video series, and throughout her vlogs. Listen to her story – she’s been addicted to pretty much everything and is very clear that food was the *toughest* one to break. My personal experience backs this up 100%:

There is NOTHING “soft” about food addiction.

If you’re talking about food addiction in the same terms as TV watching and gossiping, then you are in dire need of the exact education described in this video. And I would bet a lot of money that most other doctors are in exactly the same position.

18. anonymous

I am sitting here binging while watching this vlog.
    I am one of those people who has been “hog-tied” by food addiction. Although I did go to medical school, and became a doctor, it was like running a race with only one leg. And I never could achieve my goal of being a doctor who could actually help my patients. No, I ended up quitting clinical medicine and taking a job with an insurance company—a job I HATE. Even though I KNEW a very long time ago that it ALL starts with nutrition, that NUTRITION and REAL FOOD was the very foundation, the ANSWER to most health problems. Yet I could not effect a career helping people because I COULDN”T GET PAST MY OWN FOOD ISSUES. I knew when I heard (usually male) colleagues say things about overweight patients like “she just needs to push herself away from the table” that they were missing the HUGE piece called food addiction, but I could not say the words. The SHAME of it kept me quiet.
    I have so much shame about being a glutton. I hate myself with every fiber in me. I have tried and tried. Bright Line Eating is the answer, it’s the closest thing to an answer for me, but though I keep trying (I AM unstoppable—I”ll give myself that), I cannot seem to succeed for more than 3 weeks at a stretch.
    I am glad you are doing this—so glad! I am happily donating. But the pain in me is almost unbearable right now because your vlog reminded me of my lost life. And of how very worthless I am and have been all these lost years.
    I am not sure how you are going to help doctors tackle the shame piece. You, Susan, are not someone who stays in shame. You somehow have a strong sense of self, a self that says “I deserve happiness and I refuse to be ashamed”. But so so many of us have nothing BUT shame inside. That’s the part that is so hard to fix, to cure—if not impossible.
    But I will donate because if anyone can fix this it’s you.

1. Shira

Dear Anon,
      you are so honest, just like Susan. Part of the way I’ve been able to overcome addiction and stop this is to have intensive and continuous assistance. We all need mentors who can help when we loose our sense of self and go back to destructive behaviors. Cog. Behavioral Therapy can help.. It take s 16 times for the average person to get it. Keep going. Refuse to be ashamed. You may need assistance to get rid of the feeling of nothing but shame inside. Best Wishes.

1. Nancy Grizzle

Dear Anonymous, I’m so grateful that you shared your story, struggle, awareness, honesty and recovery with us,. Your story of recovery 3 weeks at time is a huge success! Every day that I have spent in Bright Line Eating has been such a blessing to me, yes, even the tough days, when my lines were not the cleanest, it was the best that I could do that day. I spent 30 years dieting and exercising, and went from 170 pound to 222 pounds dieting, exercising and going to weekly weight loss program meetings. Through a stranger, I learned about a 12 step program for compulsive overeaters and that helped me for 8 years, and then a DEAR friend introduced me to Bright Line Eating at the end of May, 2019, and letting go of the processed “food”, including flour, sugar and packaged and convenience foods has be feeling so much more clearheaded, energetic and free from the overpowering previously overwhelming “food fog”. I’m 66 years old, now retired and down a total of 70 pounds – living Happy and free, In a right sized body. It’s taken lots of time, love and support from friends and family inside and outside of BLE, with fear, doubt and just tired sometimes, but I too am unstoppable and kept coming back to what my “new normal” is for me – BLE, for the food, for the information and for the unstoppable Susan and support.

I will be donating today to get the right questions in front of the doctors, because I just had an annual physical with my kind and caring female physician. She was amazed that I could live without the processed food, because she can’t! I can’t believe that I didn’t share the information about bright line eating and the BLE website with her!

Maybe I’ll have some business cards made up that reference the Bright Line Eating Website. Would that be ok with BLE? I think we need something, pamphlets or business cards to pass on the information. Maybe a pamphlet that we can all download from the BLE site and give to our doctors???

Bottom line message to Anyonymous, I’m so glad that you found us, because we need you and your story in our community of love and support. Your new friend, Nancy

Hi Nancy! Thank you for your interest and desire to promote BLE. We kindly ask that you not distribute your own documents, but rather, wait for official documents from Bright Line Eating. We are working on a printable for people to share in their day-to-day living and interactions.

2. Loretta

You are not worthless. You are lovable and fighting an addiction. You’re obviously very intelligent. We all feel the shame. Try to be kinder to yourself. I would try parts work so I could soothe and comfort myself and inevitably heal. ❤️

anonymous,

You are NOT worthless. You are loved. You are cherished. We are honored and delighted to support you in your own journey in any way we can. If you’d like to converse privately, please go to http://www.support.brightlineeating and click the large, yellow button at the bottom of the page to get in touch with our team. ❤️❤️❤️ Sending abundant healing light and hope to soothe your aching soul, dear friend. You are beloved.

4. K Hani

Dearest anonymous~~~
      You are not worthless. You are not worthless. You are most definitely not worthless. Somewhere along the line you picked up that lie– someone  said it to you or made you feel that way through their actions. You still believe it, and it’s part of the reason you still allow yourself to beat yourself up the way you do. I can say so because I’ve been there. I still struggle, I have shame, but it’s much less intense and on the days that I see a glimmer of worth in me, the binge doesn’t tend to take hold.  I hope you are able to find a good therapist who will help you discover the root of the hate, shame, and worthlessness– it does not come from the true you. You were born pure, happy, and full of hope. Something happened along the way to change that…
      I can see myself in your words and I feel your pain. Please look for help.  I’m not 100% yet, but I’m proof that things can get better. You are not alone. And you are not worthless.
      Sending you love and healing, K

5. Jacqie Shartier

Dear Anon:

I so admire your honesty and authenticity. Just know you are not alone in the BLE community. It is life changing and we are here to hold each other up. I would love to talk to you – just to listen if that’s what you need. God Bless YOU

19. Mary Rose

This is quite exciting! But before I donate, I have a concern: Are these questions all centered around whole-foods veganism? Because what I want doctors to learn is how each person is an individual and how we need to take care of our unique bodies. That covers a wide variety of diets. Last spring I ended up in the emergency room. A well-balanced, BLE, whole-foods vegan diet was not working for my body. I carefully added meat and bone broth and I am now thriving. I would never want a doctor to tell me I shouldn’t eat meat when I know that I need it. Nor would I want a doctor to tell someone they have to eat meat. Will the new test questions benefit *all* future patients?

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Yup. I agree.
      The field of Lifestyle Medicine agrees.
      And the question-writers on nutrition have been chosen to reflect this nuanced perspective. Stephan Herzog and I talked about precisely this.

1. Mary Rose

Hurrah! You got my money and support! 🙂

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Boom!!!!
          Thank Yooouuuuuu!!!!!

20. Pam Holt

My son, who graduated last year from Des Moines University Medical School, did, in fact, receive some training in nutrition. But he did not receive the kind of training that will come from the questions you will write , Susan, about the addictive brain. Thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this cause. May it transform the health of people on this planet!

21. Ross Stein

Yeeeeeesssss! Finally – sharing this now – you will surpass your goal by a lot, I just know it. How wonderful that you get to write some questions, what an honor!! ❤️❤️

22. Ines Gerhardt

I want to donate via paypal because I do not own a credit card .Can you make this possible please?

Hi Ines! You can pay via PayPal but only over the phone . We aren’t able to get the button added to the site. Call 971-983-5383 ext 122.

23. William H Wilson

I donated…. more than I can really afford.. but I believe this is super important.. Love you Susan

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Love you too, Bill.
      Hugely.
      And thank you.

24. Britta

I was listening to this vlog while walking through the grocery store, rezooming for the millionth time, so thankful to have the power to rezoom and so thankful to be a part of a changing paradigm. Thanks Susan

25. Hyla Urbany

Hi Susan! I have been a follower of your work for a while and greatly appreciate what you are doing in the world – thank you!

I am in the functional medicine world full time as a health coach and Director of Services. There is a misconception about functional medicine that we’re just all about supplements, and testing. Functional medicine is very lifestyle based. We look at every patient’s diet, movement, sleep and stress and work with patients to improve these areas of their lives. The reality is, a supplement will have very little opportunity to work in the midst of a lousy lifestyle. I tell prospective patients that if they aren’t ready to make lifestyle changes, then the functional medicine approach may not be for them. Thanks for listening 😊

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Thank you for the work you are doing, Hyla! You’re not alone…there are several on this comment thread who are with you in practicing Functional Medicine in a comprehensive lifestyle way. I am taking it all in and updating my schemas as we speak…
      Grateful for you.
      Susan

26. Joanne Foulkes

Donated and proud to be a part of getting SUSAN Pierce Thompson a seat still the table. Long overdue.

27. Jessica

This is revolutionary! I am donating to buy one question!! I love David Katz. He’s a supporter of Juice Plus – fruits and vegetables in a capsule. I’ve often wondered if you knew about juice plus. It was my own catalyst to being consistent with my nutrition. Lots of research – currently 38 published studies. Thank you for all that you do!!!

28. Mary Reisz

Susan – can this be added to the required continued education for the doctors – to educate them too?

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Great question, Mary. I don’t know about enough about whether there are any particular REQUIRED continuing Ed things for physicians to weigh in on exactly that…I’m sure I’ll learn more about physicians’ continuing education in the coming months and years. (Right now, alas, I do believe it’s mostly being done through the pharmaceutical reps who visit doctors and “educate” them about the latest pharmaceuticals. Sigh.)
      What I do know is that the ACLM educates and the ABLM certifies, and any physician who wants to can partake of that education. I’m guessing it’s all for continuing Ed credits? I also know that there was a fair bit of talk between me and Stephan Herzog that in addition to writing test bank questions I’d also have to help write some curriculum for the educational piece as well, to be included in the courses that teach the science that those questions are founded on.

1. Pam Holt

It’s great to hear you’ll be working on the curriculum also. I was wondering about that. Questions alone aren’t enough to teach from.

29. Ilse

I had tears in my eyes all the way listening to this vlog Susan. Joining BLE 4 years ago is the best thing I did in my life, you have saved me Susan, I will always be grateful that you came into my life. For 4 years plus, I have been FREE from food – what a miracle – after struggling for almost 60 years. Rather than buying unnecessary presents rather donate to this fantastic cause. Susan thank you for what you do for us all, may the whole world get to hear and follow you!!!!

30. Mary M

Hi Susan, this is an incredible opportunity for you, for us !!( us as a people, not only
    BLEers) I have the same question as Mary Reisz. Also, who is going to educate the
    educators? How do they teach to the question, if they don’t have the knowledge that you
    have? What about, you do a series of videos that actually become part of the course!!?
    You can certainly teach to the question! You are an educator! It would not have to be
    a commercial for BLE. Would that be like a life long goal for you?? (just saying😊)
    I did find some money to donate. Very, very exciting times! Lots of love.

31. Susan Petty

I would be thrilled to donate to this cause. However, I am concerned with the ‘marketing campaign’ part of the process. If these questions have to be marketed to colleges what is the reassurance that they will be accepted. Resistance to ‘food as medicine’ has been strong for many years. Will the questions have to be vetted and accepted first? This is a really big deal for a college to change their teaching subjects. How long will that take? Free access is only one test.

1. Joseph Fleischman

Yes. Lots of problems down the road. But step one is getting the questions written. Once they’ve emerged, the powers won’t be able to put the genie back in the bottle. The questions are huge!
      Joseph in Missoula

32. Pam

You brought tears to my eyes with this revolutionary opportunity. I already donated. I would be curious to see a sample question.

33. Ann

I am so moved to think that at long last someone is taking food addiction seriously.
    In 1977 I tried to discuss my eating problems with my doctor but was dismissed out of hand.
    I have suffered on and off for over 40 years, it really is shameful.
    I am so grateful to receive your emails and vlogs Susan, it’s proved to me that food addiction is a serious condition and now I have the inspiration to try and conquer it.
    My donation is very small but I hope it helps.

34. A Marcy

This is the revolution that will shift our health system and food system. YES!!

35. Paige

Who will be training future doctors in nutrition? The graduates in nutritional sciences are still coming out in old beliefs fostered by the FDA food triangle (which in my opinion fosters food addiction).

1. Joseph Fleischman

They will be teaching to the test, which is exactly why it’s vitally necessary to write the right questions. You know that Susan is on that.
      Joseph in Missoula

36. Diane O’Sullivan

Happy to donate to this very worthy step in changing how we as a society provide care for people. My husband died from pancreatic cancer this year and it was appalling how awful the food choices were in his many hospital stays. We need to change the nutrionists/registered dietician training too.

I find it difficult to find the right doctors who get all of this. I have a functional med doctor and a traditional med doctor and I am tired of having to bridge the two.

I saw Hamilton on Broadway a few weeks ago and I am thrilled that you are “in the room where it happens”!

37. Lisa

I will donate! I was a healthy “over eater” who developed cancer due in part to stress in my life. I cleaned up my eating even more after my diagnosis, but still continued to eat too much of the healthy stuff. During treatment it was recommended to me, by the physicians assistant, to drink CRYSTAL LIGHT!!!!! CRYSTAL LIGHT – full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners….that is not the only “bad” advice I received. I am 6 years out from my diagnosis and about 50 lbs lighter thanks to BLE…just about in a right sized body for the first time in my life!!!!!! I can’t thank you Susan, and BLE enough for finally giving me the answers I had been searching for for 51 years!

38. Yon

I love that you want to change this – but in order to prepare for the potential push back an effort like this can trigger I hope you understand the history of the last 100+ years of “medicine”.
    An effort like this is going to be seen as a threat to the trillion dollar industries that are big pharma, (who gets rich from people being and staying sick), big agriculture (who gets rich by selling people things that make them sick) and big farming (who gets rich by growing the crops that are used to make the things that make you sick).
    Doctors are obviously an important link in this money making scheme.

Here’s a good video about the history of modern medicine if you feel there might be more for you to look into:

Regardless – I wish you well on this endeavour. Godspeed.

1. Yon

I meant Big Food – who sells the products in stores that make people sick. Not big agriculture. The Big Three – Big Farming, Big Food and Big Pharma.

2. Joseph Fleischman

You’re right Yon! And the fact that you’re right is exactly why providing the questions, gratis, to medical schools is so vital.
      Joseph in Missoula

39. Edie Hermes

“And who knows, but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” book of Esther, Ch 4 vs. 14 NIV This verse over Susan was dropped into my heart after LAST weeks vlog (I needed to understand clearly the damage done to me by my father’s rage) and just now confirmed with all of this – WOW! Love you Susan!

40. Shira

Thanks Susan and Ocean,

I donated, for myself and for my mother who” got it”. Via Adele Davis, back in the 60’s. But she only got part of it. I see what she was trying to do. I have to say, sadly, when I admitted her to an Assisted Living place at the end of her life, I asked for vegetables, I was laughed at. I did not persist. Her diet contributed to her end point.
    Keep on keeping on and “We don’t know what we don’t know.” I always remember that.

41. Kallie

Just donated, what a great movement we are part of!

42. Fay Thompson

I have donated, but only a minuscule amount because I only have a small pension. The numbers on the donation page scared me! I’m reminded of Terry Fox, the young Canadian who wanted to raise money for cancer research. His idea was that if every Canadian gave just $1 they would have many millions of dollars for research. If every BLE member gave just $10, how much would we have? Probably the amount we need to raise.

No donation is too small! We appreciate your donation, Fay!

43. Claire Lash

Just donated through my work with a matching funds request. Acknowledgement of BLE included.

44. Nancy Goss

Bingo! Now there is a real possibility for change to take place!

45. S subbaraju

Pls requested sir madam I am from India and I at the reader’s digest

46. Oria

An important fact is being ignored:people would often prefer to take a pill or any quick fix rather than change their eating and lifestyle habits . It’s not just the doctors and the way they have been educated -it’s human nature…so in my opinion the importance of this opportunity is being over exaggerated.

47. Barb Davis

Donated. It is imperative that Doctors are trained in Lifestyle and Food. Glad that I can help make a difference

48. Jenny

Just donated! What a fantastic opportunity you have presented us all with….a chance to be a part of changing the face of Lifestyle medicine education. Woohoo!!!!

49. Jo Ann

I am honored to stand with you!!

50. Coleen Sterns

This is so important to our future! Susan, thank you for doing what you can to make this change. I have also donated.

51. Pamela Cole

I followed your call to action! It’s wonderful that BLE is able to contribute in such a significant way to our global health crisis.

52. Theresa Burnett

I’ve tried to donate twice and it doesn’t seem to be working!!!

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Yikes!
      We’ll check on our end…please keep trying!

Hi Theresa! We are looking into this! In the meantime, please try a different browser or device and let us know if that works for you!

Thank you ALL so very much for your generosity!! 🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

54. JANE

THIS IS WHAT THE BRIGHT LINE EATING MOVEMENT IS ALL ABOUT! GOOD ON YOU FOR JUMPING ON THIS TRAIN!!! MONEY ON THE WAY.

55. Joseph Fleischman

I just donated $2,000. I went big because this is huge! Go Susan!
    Joseph in Missoula

56. Ariann

Terrific. I am so happy Ocean and you are taking action to get doctors educated. My doctor simply told me to quit eating and exercise. Duh!!!! Glad I found BLE. I donated. I’m sure we will make the goal to get these questions on the medical exams and education in medical schools. You go girl. Thanks Ocean.

57. Joy O’Brien

As a registered nurse and a believer in BLE forever, I’m proud to have paid for 1 question to change the education of physicians and the health of future patients.

58. Margaret Hanscom

Thanks for giving us this opportunity to make a positive difference!

59. Welmoed

I’d like to donate from outside the US using PayPal. Can you add a number I can access from outside the US?

Hi! You can call this number to pay via PayPal: 971-983-5383 ext 122. THANK YOU!

60. Kelly Herron, MD

Very happy for you Susan and congratulations! I agree that traditional medical training is lacking in nutritional education. I would appreciate it if you did a bit more fact checking before stating your opinions. I have been a board certified OB-GYN in Rochester for 23 years. I left this specialty to expand my abilities in helping women achieve optimal health. I completed a fellowship and board certification in Integrative Medicine as well as Functional Medicine training. The mantra of both specialties being ” FOOD IS MEDICINE /FOOD IS INFORMATION”. Obviously nutrition is the foundation of human health, and many health care providers are intimately familiar with addiction and recovery. I realize you feel passionately about this but please be careful when you make sweeping generalizations about individuals in health care who have dedicated their lives to helping others.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Thank you, Dr. Herron, for sharing your training, the huge importance you place on food, and the mantra you learned in your specialties of Integrative and Functional Medicine. I apologize for my all-encompassing statements. I am absorbing what you say.
      Thank you for your work.
      With love, respect, and humility for my blind spots,
      Susan

61. Sonja Toutenhoofd

Questions for BLE, If you raise extra money where will it go? I’m very excited to donate but would like to know that.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Great question! It will be in the hands of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. I’ll ask Susan Benigas about that. I might recommend that, after the questions themselves are covered financially, any additional funds raised get used to help support the creation of curriculum and educational materials to support medical professionals in learning that information.

62. Dr. E

I agree with Dr. Herron above! As a physician, I can affirm that we receive very little lifestyle training in medical school… BUT we would definitely prescribe vitamin C supplements and a vitamin C rich diet for a patient with scurvy! (No lopping anything off!) Not all physicians are pharmaceutical puppets … it’s reductive to conflate allopathic medicine with pharmaceutical companies.

I recommend dietary changes, lifestyle improvements, and nutritional advice all the time as a pediatrician. Most of my patients’ parents want a pill instead. Until 1) a patient and their family are ready to change, and 2) nutritious foods are more widely available and affordable, I think educating physicians can only do so much. It’s a start, but it’s not enough. I know BLE is doing lots to change the world for better and I love the program, but I also expect a more nuanced representation of western medicine from future vlogs.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Hi Dr. E.
      I have read your comment more than once now, and am letting the last line you wrote really sink in. You’re right. Western medicine is not homogeneous in composition, application, nor practice, and I did a disservice by presenting it with sweeping negative generalizations. Thank you for calling me to a more accurate, nuanced, and responsible representation. I apologize. I was wrong.
      With love,
      Susan

1. Jewell H

Unfortunately, I would agree with the sweeping negative generalizations of western medicine. My experience with primary care doctors and specialists has been nothing short of a disservice to my health. Many of my problems today could have been addressed years ago if our medical system didn’t just focus on “oh your tests are normal” “it’s all in your head” or the one that elevated my blood pressure that I was ready to punch the man “you’re old (I was 50) live with the pain”. Creating a system that not only educates doctors but should educate the public that exercise and good food throughout your life will bring longevity and health to your life. The only good doctors I ever had were chiropractors and they could only do so much but at least their advise was good.

63. Davina

Surely need to have the teaching programme before the questions.?

64. Sandy

Donated! My naturopath has lamented this problem for years! Glad to help!

65. Penelope Jane Smith

Just donated! What an amazing opportunity to change the world and save lives! : D

66. Susan Misukaitis

Caution: Marvelous opportunity but be mindful that the medical teachings may be behind the times and not so accepting of your ideas. I have seen numerous nutritionists, for example and not one believed in addiction to food, dangers of sugar and flour and trigger foods, or that packaged foods and chemicals, preservatives and pesticides are toxic to humans.
    None of them helped me either.

So true that there are some who do not believe in food addiction, Susan. Definitely some education to still be done there.

1. H theresa Wright, MS, RD, LDN

Thank you for all this work, Susan. this is wonderful. I have always admired your work

To Susan, the writer of this post; I am a nutritionist who believes in and teaches food addiction. I want to apologize for the failure of the other nutritionists. We are not taught this in nutrition school, either. Something I want to help change.

67. Patricia Visser

Just donated! Congrats with your seat at the table. This is huge indeed.

68. Dion Menser-Andreini

Wonderful! My husband Rocky and I just bought a question! It feels really special to help advance this field! Go BLE! We are unstoppable!

69. Tracy

I’m in tears….
    So full of gratitude for the work you do & unbelievably happy to hear this wonderful news!!!!!!!

70. Lynne Greene

It’s about time

71. Chris Carter

Even though I have no income right now I am going to find a way to donate something! I’ll sell something if I have to! Such an important cause! I have a couple of ideas/suggestions. If you know how many people there are who have done or are doing BLE Bootcamp and Bright Lifers and calculated how much it would be per person it might be a number that is small enough to make people realize if everyone put in a small amount , perhaps smaller that they thought would make a difference it would help achieve the target amount? Of course those who could afford to can donate more. I think it would be really exciting to see the total amount donated to date, like a telethon tote board to get people excited to meet or exceed the target amount. To see the tote board be really close to the $182,000 might inspire people to did a little deeper to meet the goal! Thanks for all your hard work Susan! 😘❤️

72. Angela Brown

I think the quote you wanted is ” Luck is Preparedness meeting Opportunity.”I do not know the source but used to have it on a bookplate.

Thank you so much for your exciting work.

Please also stay involved in helping with their implementation.
    For instance my husband did take a medical school nutrition class (albeit about 30 years ago, and I was horrified to see that their textbook was from a company that made baby formula! I might choose no course over coursework by the powers that be in subverting even baby nutrition.

And meanwhile children are being fed chemicals right and left and possibly even being intentionally groomed for addiction to unhealthy “food” choices.
    And the FDA does not protect us, even labeling is outrageously inadequate. “natural flavors”? etc.

I do want a huge movement for healthy food and eating practicest and hope to see a coalition including people like Vani of Truvani and all the other promoters of clean non gm o organic eating,; raw foodists, whoever. perhaps you could get the yogis and others on board for a true revolution since part of yoga philosophy is right eating (albeit it vegetarian there is clear common ground of nontoxic, natural, and moderation).

The big business food companies are already improving or more often mostly faking it with their advertising and junk food versions. Things like the gluten free explosion indicate the food makers are taking advantage of trends albeit often cheatingly (like saying cage free for chickens stepping on each other and consumers not realizing they should at least have free range pasture available.

But still, things are changing and ccompanies a!re apparently having to work harder to pass off their junk products.

I just love your work so much. You give me hope for this country.

73. Mary Porter

I am a physician who graduated medical school in 2006 (University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine). We took an entire (mandatory)course on nutrition in our first year of medical school. As a Family Medicine physician, there is not a day that goes by that I don’t have conversations with patients about nutrition . I have only recently been doing BLE and am a firm believer in it. It is demoralizing though to be treated with a broad brush stroke of stereotype and villanized as a western doctor who is owned by big pharma. Contrary to popular belief, most physicians do not allow drug reps into their clinics/offices. We are not owned by big pharma. No profession is perfect and you will always find a bad apple in a bunch but the vast majority of physicians are dedicated to and invested in the health and wellbeing of their patients.

Mary, thank you so much for commenting. Susan responded to a similar comment above and we’d encourage you to read her reply there. She is taking in this feedback. 🧡

74. LAURIE OLSON

I am going to post this all over the place today but I want to do it at a better time of day than right now so that more people will see it and I’m going to have a talk with my husband about how much money we can donate to this cause and maybe getting his company to donate too. I am totally on board with this effort. Thank you for letting us know about it. Sending you loads of love. This is awesome!!!

75. Anon

Susan, I am a physician and am so excited you are helping to change the face of medicine for the better. Request- I think it would also be powerful to include questions that illustrate not only how you can use lifestyle to reverse/prevent disease more powerfully than with drugs, but also questions that bring attention to the preservatives in drugs that can be extremely dangerous (like NDMA in metformin!), and many of the drugs and surgical products which have been marketed, in sufficiently policed by our regulatory bodies such as the FDA, hurt people and then pulled from the market. It’s very important young doctors not only appreciate the power of lifestyle medicine but as a correlate to be sufficiently humbled and cognizant of the risks of “western medicine” (a term I hate) as drugs are pushed by for profit companies just like processed food. Being wary of drugs is just as important as understanding the power of lifestyle medicine to actually sway doctors to try the lifestyle approach.

76. Valerie bennett

Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. – You lady – are amazing – You have gotten the seat at the table that will be so important – you speak and people do listen – you are the voice for many millions who cant do what you are trying to do – I STAND WITH YOU………………. Im in the UK ………. I STAND WITH YOU – Get in there and fight for it all…. we are all here to help make the changes with you ………we are all behind you kiddo……………. sorry if that sounds disrespectful…. its meant with much love and im very proud to be a Bright Line Eater and I want my Grandchildren to grow up eating real food forever and to live healthy forever. Bless you ——- WIshing you all a very merry christmas xx

77. Lesley

Such wonderful news! Glad to join in. I would like to see this program extended to CE classes for currently practicing doctors. The change in nutrition education may encourage previously licensed doctors to upgrade their knowledges.

78. Steven kooperman md

I am a doctor , a conventional doctor , who asked brightline to embrace my desire to represent a brightline formal program in the chicago suburbs and was turned away . Our community has a strong obesity and weight management program and it is embraced strongly .
    Don’t sell bright line as the immediate cure for insulin dependent diabetes. Don’t alienate the patients from their doctors and don’t alienate brightline from doctors who support it .
    Bad approach to a real problem .
    We support your program and the ornish program as well . Good things happen when you unite people .
    Be a supporter to those in the trenches not a diminisher.

1. Jeannine Seymour

Really? After watching this vlog about the opportunity to enlighten orthodox medicine as to the rampant problem of food addiction and its primary role in causing disease and suffering, that’s all you have to say?

I do not know if what you wrote about having been “turned away” by BLE is even true, or what legitimate reasons may have been given to you for such a decision at that time, but I am deeply suspicious of your intentions by making this comment. I have a personal background and family history with medicine, so am not intimidated by your alleged credentials. The approach Susan is making is not only long overdue and brilliantly simple, it is aimed at the heart of medical orthodoxy’s corrupt entanglement with the corporate complex. Her approach is about enlightening and training a new breed of doctors who are t least as interested in their patients’ health as they are in taking cruises paid by BigPharma and BigInsurance.

When BLE first started, I approached Susan with a concern about the cost of the program as a barrier to those who suffer most from obesity-related diseases–the poor and inner-city communities–and she was deeply sympathetic. She told me that a primary objective of BLE for her is to spread this paradigm-shifting information as far and wide as possible. Over the years, I have seen that she is authentic in that commitment. She is emphatic about making the BLE gestalt affordable and available, and now, she’s taking the message where it belongs: into medical schools.

There’s nothing in this vlog about alienating doctors from their patients. Nothing at all. It’s about broadening the knowledge base of physicians so that upon graduation, they’re actually able to improve their patients’ health instead of perpetuating their diseases and sufferings through their own ignorance of this vital subject. If you are sincere in your intentions and are not just a corporate shill for BigPharma, pull out your checkbook and put your money where it belongs. Support the enlightenment of medicine. I just did. And it feels good.

1. Steven kooperman md

Interesting response . I am a fair and very dedicated doctor and supporter. I trained in a conventional medicine environment. I have learned skit along the way from many mentors about many things . I have sent hundreds of people to bright line . I agree with the enlightened approach . I also feel that Susan , Ari and the Robins can get too heavy handed in accusing doctors of being blind to giving help appropriately . I am just a normal doctor seeking to offer the best I can . I support BLE but offer the advice to attract help from the profession not insult it.
        I asked to represent BLE but was told it was not in the business plan to be represented by anyone . Ok, I still support the program .
        Your response is very interesting .
        Listen to the blog again and pretend you care about your profession and your patients. And brightline!

Sincerely

Hi Dr. Kooperman,

We have discussed having literature available for physicians to distribute and are so grateful to you and the many doctors who recommend and support BLE in their practices.. At the time of your email last year and still now, this is not something we have heavily pursued or made available, though it is still on the table.

79. Nicole

I always wish there were a way to get the info in these videos in written format — really hard for me to watch videos. FYI to SPT’s team — I’m reading the comments here to try to figure out what this video is about. I typically find out what’s in the videos in a much more succinct, brief format through comments. Sure, I can watch vidoes — but no matter how many times people see “watch the video you’ll LOVE it,” I don’t love watching videos. I zone out and stop paying attention and start cleaning my desk drawers or organizing my tax paperwork because I’m bored. Please please please please please provide some kind of written content.

Hi Nicole! This is something that has been discussed previously. Thank you for surfacing it again. <3

80. JoAnn

Dear SPT,
    I am a physician who has found freedom in my mind since following the program. My life has changed and I am SO grateful to you. I thought as an intelligent person, I could figure out “dieting “. I wonder what medical school would have been like had my mind been free.
    My hope is that you will address the addictive part of overeating and why moderation(with good nutrition) doesn’t work for some people. I think nutrition is important but not enough for those doctors (and even me for years) who don’t understand addictions to s/f. Thank you!

81. Cyndi H

Confession: I am not a Bright Liner. I am exploring the program; not sure it’s a fit for me. HOWEVER! This opportunity is absolutely something I have a passion about and was super happy to contribute to. So happy to be part of this little moment in history, so thank you.

We’re happy to have you here in this space and community, no matter what that looks like for you, Cyndi! Thanks for your willingness to contribute! <3

82. rosemarie jaouen

Ok, just donated. I want to share this on facebook but didn’t see a link to facebook when I clicked on the share button. Is there a way. I know people who would love to donate but may not go to your site. Thanks for this amazing movement. So proud to be witnessing this huge change about to happen.

83. Susan Gilbert Zencka

I donated, today on the 4th anniversary of my mother’s death from gallbladder cancer. I am so grateful for the opportunity to contribute to this important work! Thank you, Susan and Ocean.

84. ANDRE FIERENS

Can you send me the Bank account number ? I live in Belgium. The form gave an error : Your transaction was declined. Please check payment method details.

Hi Andre! So sorry you’re having issues with that. We do not have bank information to provide you with, however, if you’d like to make a phone call you can call this number (though it is a US phone number) to make a payment over the phone: 971-983-5383 ext 122. Or, please feel free to give it another try online!

85. TrinityB

Thank you for doing this. You and David are amazing. 💞 I forwarded to James Cameron, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joaquin Phoenix, Will Smith because they are change makers (are connected to like minded people) and are concerned about their health, love this planet and are keenly interested in educating people about the food we eat/don’t eat. You are not only taking on big pharma though, but big agriculture…all sponsors of the diabetes, cancer, heart organizations. This sounds so hopeful! If y’all haven’t seen the following docs yet, please look at these. The Change makers, What the Health, Forks Over Knives and Cowspiracy. I watched these after eating with BLE for the last year and seeing Suzy Cameron (James’ wife) be interviewed by Oprah about the green school her and her sister (teacher) started in California. 💞

Look at you, Trinity! Just taking it straight to the top! Go you!

86. Bonnie

This is really great. So happy to support this very real effort to change the way western medicine addresses patient care. I recently saw my primary care doctor, who was amazed at my 40lb. drop in weight, and improved blood work in only 4 short months. When I told her I stopped eating flour and sugar, no snacking etc… she she merely said, “Oh, I could never do that!” I suspect until physicians are better trained in the specifics of nutrition and diet, and it’s positive correlation to well being, this kind of dismissive attitude will continue.

87. Molly

Just in time for my birthday Facebook fundraiser! I could not think of a more worthy cause to fund this year. Amazing progress so far…so proud of our BL community

Love that! What a great idea, Molly and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 🎈🎈🎈

88. Lise

Today is my most favorite day of the year – the winter solstice. I did not watch the vlog on wednesday. I did today – after a 10k at a local nature center / park. It is amazing – I know doctors are not taught nutrition. I did not know WHY. Wow!!! And wow! What an amazing way to be part of the SOLUTION!!!! I have made my donation.
    Thank you so much Susan for being part of this revolution. Thank you for making my favorite day of the year even better!
    (and btw – I rarely post anything – ever)

Happy Solstice! Sounds like a wonderful day to celebrate the day! <3

89. Tom Abbott

Looks like the target has been reached.
    I don’t care – I donated anyway.

90. LaLaCityDweller

As a surgeon surrounded by surgeons, I beg to differ on that assessment of addicts and doctors not often being one and the same. In particular: All female surgeons I met in training were diagnosed with ADHD. Those of us with ADHD also have a higher risk of addiction. We require high stimulation environment or substances to feel “normal”- just like you described of your drug of choice in the BLE book.
    Also: I’m pretty sure there were nutrition questions on my boards. Sure, they were only about severe deficiencies (e.g. scurvy- the only “big pharma” answer to that might be IV vitamin C), but still.
    One reason we didn’t have anything more than our wimpy class on nutrition is that there are whole degrees dedicated to nutrition, and there just isn’t enough time to cover everything (don’t get me started on the proposals to shorten med school to 3 years). Not to mention that even now I am constantly in disagreement with our nutritionists, because even THEIR training is so far behind! One recent graduate I work with had never even heard of vitamin K2.
    You are SO right about the processed foods we feed patients in hospitals. And tube feeds are generally soy based (I’ve told my family to bring in green smoothies if I ever need to be tube fed!). Parenteral (IV) nutrition is too- I had a patient with a severe soy allergy who had to have his IV nutrition shipped in from another state because we had NOTHING for him around my big city hospital.
    Finally, you will be happy to know that my dietary recommendations to all my gallbladder patients include the no sugar no flour approach- many have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, which as you likely know is on its way to becoming the #1 reason for liver transplants in the US. I’m working to get my instructions translated into spanish, mandarin & cantonese. It’s a slow moving system, but some of us are fighting the good fight.

Thank you so much for all you are doing and for sharing your experiences here with all of us! ❤️

91. Gene

GOAL MET AND EXCEEDED!
    Well done, everyone! Such an important project!

92. Joan Randall

OK!!! All my life (ok, not the first 25 years, but truly the last 50!!) , this has been something that made my jaws tight, especially when folks refer to our “health” care system.

I look forward to regular updates.

I just donated a very modest amount. How does the ACLM track BLE donations? I didn’t see anything on the form. Power in the hands of good people is good; the measure of that power ought not be anonymous.

Thank you for your donation, Joan! If you click through to the donation site you can view the total amount donated from the Bright Line Eating community as it is being tracked and updated there. ❤️

93. Deborah

Susan As I was clearing emails today, I came across a regular email from Ocean Robbins which lead here to this blog : I am sending gratitude
    for the Divine Synchronicity that has brought forth this opportunity: opening wide a doorway for change. I CELEBRATE your efforts and
    see the Light Surrounding you All, surrounding the Students – UPcoming Professionals = Millennials = who will now step into their places to effect Healing
    and Change not only in the system: but far reaching into the lives of many……… Namaste