Disease Management

In this week’s vlog, I answer a question that pretty much everyone asks at some point along their Bright Line Eating™ journeys. I bet you’ll be able to relate, so watch now to hear what the question is and my thoughts about it.

Comments

1. Lucie Lean

Eliud Kipchoge, the famous runner who ran a marathon under 2 hours said: “Only the disciplined ones are free in life. If you aren’t disciplined, you are a slave to your moods. You are a slave to your passions. That’s a fact.”
    Patanjali’s 8 limbs of Yoga describe step by step path for purifying the body and mind. In the Niyamas, the first component is Tapas (purification Through discipline)
    We live in a world that does not place discipline at high value BUT for the ones who are able to follow a disciplined path, the rewards are great and FREEDOM comes.
    BLE helped me understand Tapas and for the first time in my life, I was able to experience freedom. My brain needed the scientific evidence to jump aboard. Forever grateful, thank you Susan.

1. Dana

Coming from a background of 12 step programs this is one of the parts of BLE that just “makes sense” to me. In a way nothing else has regarding my relationship with food. Thank you so much! Nice timing on this vlog.

2. Sarah Katzin

Totally get what you mean. Judaism and Torah lifestyle also share the same concept of discipline leading to real freedom. But you are right that the world we live in so highly prioritizes having whatever we want and whenever we want it, that the switch is a big challenge.

3. Fay Thompson

Thank you, Lucie, for the above quotes from the amazing Eliud Kipchoge and Patanjali. I have been wondering why my brain has not healed enough to give me food freedom. The answer was staring me in the face: Discipline!

2. Lorie McMasters

Boy did I need that! Thank you so much. Your knowledge and humor just shut up all those voices and enhance my tool box.

Thanks once more Susan.

3. Monica Dean

All the yo-yo diets I was on over the years masked the symptoms, and in effect taught me how to cheat. It wasn’t until I took the quiz, and a did the boot camp that I finally understood my addiction to flour and food. The saboteurs still come in social situations, but now I recognize them for what they are and refuse to be mastered by them as I was in the past. Great vlog.

1. Sarah Katzin

My previous diets systems espoused eating whatever we wanted as long as we factored it in, taught us ways to have small amounts of whatever on holidays and at events. And guess what? That didn’t work!

4. Sandy

This vlog was amazingly helpful to me. Thank you Susan for not only writing the book which changed my life but for all of the reminders of why BLE is essential to my well being. I keep thinking I could just have one- and then a few days later I am rezooming. I hope this last rezoom was the last!

5. Toni LaChine

This vlog couldn’t have come at a better time. I choose BLE to maintain my health and well being. I feel free from food obsession . I’m starting my 3rd year as a Bright Lifer and 2nd year in Maintenance. My saboteur is noisy sometimes at social events., but I give her a pep talk before such an event. I also have great support. Shout out to EMILY AUGUST from BREEZY HOUSE. She’s one of my BOO CREW. 🙏🏻

Well done, Toni! Happy to have you in the community. 🧡

6. Elena

This ranks as one of my favorite vlogs! Thank you!

7. Sarah Katzin

Thank you! I feel like I kind of knew all this from everything I have learned and experienced on my Bright Line Eating journey, but this vlog made it much clearer. And you still have that cute hat! Feels like old times!

8. Susan Mills

Thanks you so much Susan… from one Susan to another…The reminder that I am managing a disease puts a new light on what my responsibility to my self, this human body, is. I wouldn’t let an infection continue if I have a way to heal it. Thanks Susan

9. Juanita Klepacs

Excellent vlog! Thank-you for your great insight Susan! Everything in this video goes parallel with much exact to what I’m already going through this holiday season..So, so helpful, I’m done riding this rollercoaster ride. Going to start by reading your book and really get serious about following this lifestyle.. Thank-you you are awesome!

10. Mary V Willcox

After literally binging or in my speak, gorging, for four days, and now having 2 2/3 days of entire abstinence (4brightlines as planned in my food journal eating only and exactly that) in my food addiction, I related much of the content to the lessons I learned in those four days. One was too many, I couldn’t stop eating until they were all gone and by then my brain was saying hey this is your time to have xyz NMF as well. Not a single thought of high liver enzymes or fatty liver disease consequences that I can avoid by following BLE as a transformational lifestyle.

11. Carolyn Marie

Thank you so much to today’s video. I’m still trying to rationalize my relationship with food and find a way around the idea that I am addicted instead of just bad habits that get out of control sometimes. But you just described my behavior as of last night! I’m having lots of trouble as I near my goal weight and I’ve been escalating with exceptions experimenting with NMF just to see if the scale changes. It’s just so difficult to admit to myself that I have an addiction/disease instead of a bad habit that gets out of control. I appreciate the re-framing of BLE as disease management. So thank you!

12. Martha Sharon

Susan, THANK YOU for a timely Vlog! I would put it on a loop in my computer if I could. I think it may help to get me through Xmas.
    Also, I just bought the new book; love the recipes! I just went shopping this am, got a week’s worth of groceries, and am back on BLE, after BS’ing myself for some time, and gaining 23 lb of the 65 I had lost. So, I will get out my copy of the daily check list, and do every single one. All my 5 sibs have DMII; I hsvr avoided it so far, but at 68, and now obese again, I would join them in their misery soon.
    So, once again, I am so thankful to you. I am n the research project, and will let them know about my success. I already feel better!

You can definitely loop it all you want, Martha! 😉 Happy cooking! Hope you enjoy the cookbook.

13. Rosanne de Vries

Thank you for this, especially at “this time of year”. You are absolutely right. Thank you again.

14. Emine Weaire

A very powerful vlog Susan

I also choose BLE to maintain my health and well being. I’m now in my 3rd year as a Bright Lifer going on to my fourth year

My saboteur had been active over the last few months but this vlog helped me to remind myself why I am on BLE program and why I MUST follow it to the dot Thank you so much .

15. Julia Carol

Yes, Yes, YES!!!! I’m on my 5th holiday season doing Bright Line Eating and still zero sugar/flour and it’s now sooooo easy to not eat any of that crap!

People applaud my willpower and I tell them I have almost no willpower. I’ve just retrained my brain not to offer me sugar or flour.

I’m on Day 2 , however, with lines 3&4… meals and quantities. Still in right sized body, still healthy. But still working toward healing brain around meals and quantities. I love this Vlog! I’m also going through my old BC modules anew with beginners mind… along with my 4+ year mastermind group… and find that so helpful, too.

Holidays are s much better on Bright Line Eating!

16. Claire

Lawdy lawdy-how I love the importance of semantics! Thanks so much-what a GREAT way to think bout things…I also “stole” another acronym off of a “diet” site the other day…HALT!!!!
    (hungry?,angry?,lonely?,tired?) deal with THOSE and don’t cater to the saboteurs!

Blessings on your winter season to all!-whatever you celebrate…we are such an interesting creature!

1. silvia

Thank you, Claire! It´s a very useful new acronym!

That HALT acronym is a good one we’ve see around too. Good questions to ask yourself! 🧡

17. Fay Thompson

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this vlog, Susan. I am trying to get back to perfect Bright Lines and this vlog is exactly what I heeded to hear. I know I’m going to play it over and over today. I have a background in AA and I have often wondered why I have sailed along for many years without touching a drink but found keeping to my bright lines difficult. Now I understand. With food, I haven’t totally focused on the addiction. I too am a fan of Winnie the Pooh. Someone has described him as one of the great philosophers of the 20th century. One quote, which I think is especially apt is: ‘I didn’t mean to eat it, I only meant to taste it’

18. Stefi

Wonderful vlog! Got it 👌 Thank you Susan 😊

19. Nancy W. Goss

Outstanding vlog coming right at the crucial time. Thanks, Susan. You are just so SPOT ON!

20. Cat

Susan, this vlog hit home. Addiction is something I relate to alcohol or drugs, because it’s so devastating not only to the addicted, but to the family and friends around that person. Today you made me realize that I too have an addiction, but one society frowns on less. The diets that allow eating 6 small meals a day, or whatever you want in moderation, feed my addiction vs curing it. Thank you for making me realize DISCIPLINE, and abstaining will be my only cure. I’m an addict and I need to face it. My daughter gave up alcohol 21/2 years ago, and never looked back. She’s in AA, and keeps telling me I should follow that protocol for food, it’s time I re-read your book and faced my addiction head on. Thanks for all your wisdom❣️

21. Alice

Susan: Probably one of the best Vlogs I have witnessed from you! Although I am not officially in a BLE – program , I have followed you for a bout a year because I have a sister who is 74 and has a serious eating disease-disorder. She has TYPE 1 Adult Diabetes. And, I know she is a 10 on susceptibility scale. I took the the test as well and I am a good 10 as well…but I am a Nutritional Psychologist – who can keep the disorder in check (not easily I might add) …For instance – when I find a moment of UNEASE for MY DISEASE. I fold and interlock my hands together – very tightly and squeeze- which looks like a prayer – (almost) and say to the saboteur ‘What is going on? Will this food ( I am wanting (bad stuff) further a disease within me or nurture my body to longevity -ultimate health and freedom? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I love the concept of saying what Claire – just mentioned: Halt. Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired. That is great!
    Keep up all the great work Susan. You are making SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN SO MANY PEOPLE’S LIVES! Thank you.

Happy to have you here, Alice. We can sense the love and care you have for your sister. 🧡

22. Don Benedik

Excellent pep talk at the very best time to do it. Reinforced my commitment to BLE. It’s been a wonderful journey for me one that overtly changed my life. As I approach my goal weight, I have also arrested my type 2 diabetes, cut my medications, saved money on Rx’s and discovered new foods along the way. Thank you, Susan , for showing me the way. And I just received the BLE Cookbook and am looking forward to delving in!

Thrilled to hear of these benefits you’re experiencing! Enjoy the cookbook, Don! 🧡

23. Kerry Jordan

Susan, once again, you’ve reminded me that my food addiction is controlling my life and I’m hurting so much right now…. I constantly struggle to keep bright lines and fail and I’m so disappointed when I crash and burn. I feel weak and pathetic but knowing it’s a disease keeps me trying again to support my health and life. I’m 63 and though not obese, the weight stacks on so quickly and I gain control for a while, until my rotten saboteur and bad habits override. Emotionally charged at present as dealing with being pushed out from my workplace, after giving many years of service I know it’s the excuse I’m looking for to say it’s ok to comfort myself with food, yet I battle against it every day. What would you say is the best tool to use to re-start my journey and stay the distance? I’m re-reading the book and it’s wonderful. Kerry Jordan Melbourne Australia.

Hi Kerry! Have you participated in Boot Camp? If so, the Reboot Rezoom course is going to be made available here again at the end of the month. It is designed for exactly what you’re talking about. Also, be sure to shore up a lot of support–as much as you’re able! Sending you so much love and we’re cheering from you on this side of the ocean! <3

24. Sara Sohn

Loved the blog this week

25. Ariann

Great vlog once again. Discipline is the core of all true accomplishments in life.

26. Laura

Wow, I really appreciated the content and the timing of this video. I am a new BC member having joined in early December but have been allowing myself to be a little sidelined due to a medical test that requires fasting and ate NMF and NMD as a reward afterwards. So, back to Day 1 for me today. This is the kind of stuff that I need to hear regularly. I also realize, sadly, I am surrounded by family members who are unaware of their food addiction and they are happily eating their way to all kinds of health issues. I know that for me, burning new neural pathways are essential to my success. And, that my behaviors with NMD with certain family members will be hard to overcome, not only for me but for them, too. I see my life changing in a very profound way, and finding new friendships that are based on having healthy eating/drinking in common. SPT: you are a great and inspiring resource to all of us, thank you so much for all you do. And to all the staff at BLE, you folks are great! Thank you all.

Welcome aboard, Laura! We’re honored to support you in your journey! <3

27. Sharon

Such a great blog!

28. Cathy

Such a great reminder and so timely. And not only is Emily August brilliant and insightful, she is also a fabulous writer. I’m looking forward to chalking up a crystal vase style Christmas and New Years.

29. Susan Anne

OMG! exactly what I needed to hear!