I’ve Been in Relapse (Your Holiday Mindset Guide)

What do relapse and holiday mindset have in common? Everything, it turns out. Now that it’s November, I’m thinking about how to keep my lines bright over the holidays. Watch this week’s vlog to hear my thoughts on what it’s like to wake up out of the trance of addictive thinking (and eating) and, of course, how to discover real warmth, connection, and cheer with Bright Line Eating this holiday season.

Comments

1. Jane

THANK YOU!!!!!!! This resonates with me so much!! I was a crystal vase-r for months. Then I let fatigue overrule my desire for happy, thin and free. I’ve spent the past 11 months trying to regain that vase. In those 11 months, I’ve had 2 surgeries, started therapy for childhood abuse and been diagnosed with complex PTSD. It’s been a rough time and I know it could have been easier if I had stuck with my bright lines. But it is what it is and I’m not letting that stop me from recommitting. I made the decision yesterday that I need my bright lines in order to heal from the trauma. I had a BL breakfast today and I’m going out shopping to fill my fridge with the fruit and veg I need to keep moving ahead!
    Thank you for being honest and real (not that you aren’t always!!) about relapse. It’s a hard thing to admit that we are sometimes weak. Now it’s time to move forward!!!

Sending so much love to you, dear Jane, during your time of healing and recovery. <3

2. Stephanie

Amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing. Many thanks for, as usual, being HOW with us (honest, open, willing) and sharing your journey. What a platform you have created! I feel sad that it has come at a personal cost to you. AND I am so grateful for the experience you shared today. I feel confident it will change many people’s lives for the better–including mine. Peace!

3. Lyn Wynters

Wow, Susan! What great PERSPECTIVE!! Thank you! Thank you!

4. Barbara White

Wow this was so very helpful. I’ve been in such a horrible cycle binge/ rezoom lately and it’s honestly left me a hot mess. For the first time since I started BLE Jan. 1st, I am sober from alcohol (27 days) This has brought on some monstrous cravings. I feel like I’m forever in detox!! I want to be free. Thank you for sharing, I see that the trade is not worth it. I will not give up my peace for a cookie!!!!

5. Denise Johnson

Thank you SPT for being transparent and vulnerable about your relapse. Such good points that while yes, we can always rezoom, it takes so much physically, emotional, and spiritual energy.

6. Catherine

…do you recommend OA if we have never been in OA? I participated with AlAnon a few years ago for a few years while dating a ‘sober’ alcoholic. So I’m familiar with 12-step programs. Was hopeful not to ever need one again…lol

1. catherine

errr, thanks. I’m a Bright Lifer, just wondered if SPT recommends OA on top of BLE.

Hi again Catherine! Got it! 😉 Susan hasn’t ever said anything to that, specifically. You may want to reach out to ask on an accountability call for additional thoughts regarding your specific circumstances. <3

7. Mary Renae

The last issue of AARP had an interesting article re long-term inflammation how it causes other disease and problems, etc. As I read it to see how to fight the inflammation, it was everything I am doing on BLE – no sugar, no flour, whole grains, . . on and on. Thank you for BLE! It is the healthiest diet I have ever been on.

8. Constance Joy

Thank you, Susan! ❤️ Might just have to keep rewatching this to have it really take effect. Was in a wonderful grocery store today shopping thank goodness on a full stomach from breakfast. All the holiday NMF was being featured everywhere. I was strong because I intentionally shopped in the morning with full energy and full stomach, but still the thought arose about whether I would make exceptions this coming season. You did a fantastic job here laying it all out just when the stores are doing the same. Thank you for your spot on weighing in your two hands the alternatives… peace etc on the one hand, and a cookie on the other and your statement about trading the peace “for a cookie?!!!” Have never had more than 3 weeks Bright and that was when I first started a year ago. And I am not fully convinced either… because rezooming is so incredibly easy… and you did address that…but I will truly take to heart what you said, and will most likely go it Bright and give up the exceptions and let this brain heal! I do believe that it is harder for vegans with a lot less choices… and I am not strict on the dairy… have it rarely. Much to consider here. Thank you sooooooo much for your timely heart felt beautiful vlog. 💗💖🌹🌹💐🧚‍♂️🧘‍♀️❤️

Great planning, Constance! Love your efforts to shop in the morning when your energy is high! <3

9. Nanette

Excellent blog, Susan! I have been thinking about the holidays approaching and this was exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you!❤️💕

10. Cornelia Fremont

You illuminate the issues and blaze a path of hope. With my mindset reinforced I am grateful for all you give of youself.

1. Marsha

I LOVE your first sentence! It’s exactly what Susan does and what I appreciate. She gives, and gives, and gives.

11. Signe Franks

Wow, I liked this: I am not a member or avid follower, but do see your spendid vlogg sporadically. However, I have felt you were an “übermensh” or sort of super intelligent or whatever. Not like us mortals. But here you reveal that you are actually a real person, though very special, but somehow relatable and sort of familiar to regular people like myself. Hang in there. I love you.
    SF Gothenburg, Sweden

12. Janet

Haha, Looking at politics lately I would not call that “Non-Fiction”

13. Paula Shallow

Thank you! I have a birthday coming up and was planning on “treating” myself to a glass of wine. Who am I kidding?! One glass? More like one bottle. Then the guilt and the “I screwed up today, might as well wait until after Thanksgiving to rezoom. Thank you for reminding me why I am on this plan. Day 23 and pledging to continue my BLE.

Happy Birthday, Paula! Sounds like this vlog came along at just the right time for you. 😉

14. Sharon

Good one. I think in terms of math equations so this hit me in a meaningful way. Thanks!

15. Mark

This is the most important vlog I have ever. Seen! It gives voice and understanding as to why it is so vital to remain abstinent Thank you for the incredible contribution. I am sorry that these insights were made at your expense. You are a blessing!!

16. Laura Nickerson

Will be watching this on loop repeat! Thank you Susan once again

1. Joyce

Me too.

1. Regan

Me too. Especially Thanksgiving morning.!!

17. Tim Richardson

Thank you for your courage to be honest. Dishonesty looks to be an epidemic in our world these days, even to have become endemic . In reality, nothing works without honesty, so your gifts of honesty and courage are priceless.

18. Mayra Hitchens

Susan…..I cried when I was listening to this..in shock, in awe, in gratitude. Deep gratitude. I’ve never been more reflected inside goodness, felt more supported, loved, acknowledged by someone who I know understands what I’ve gone through. I’ve known it since I read your book Bright Line Eating. I couldn’t believe it then how I related to you and it’s not even about food. (although it is.)
    “Do I really need to be that perfect/strict with my practice of orientation to the environment through the senses and looking for goodness rather than indulging in a negative thought?” YES I DO! “On the one side of the equation, there is showing up in life and doing all the great things I’ve always wanted to do and enjoy. (enjoyment of life) On the other side of the equation, there’s the cookie. (an indulgence on a negative thought for me)” “There are no words for what I put myself through these past 4 years. You train your brain either way.” “What matters is what I do.” KEEP ORIENTATION IN MY LIFE FIRST! “Let’s not give up what we want most for what we might want right now.” LOOK FOR THE GOODNESS!! There’s so much more I could say.. everything relates to me…
    The addiction to thinking is real. The addiction to ‘what’s wrong’. And indulging in one single thought is not worth the cookie…it never has been. Never.
    It has been a long crawl to this point and here I am.

With you all.
    Thank you God.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And I’m glad I gave myself the gift of joy and laughter and creativity and goodness by posting about your book. I’m so glad I did that. It was so awesome!! 😀

19. Michele B.

Perfect message at the perfect time! This will be my second year of BLE holidays, and my plan is to just keep doin’ what I’m doin’. I know (as sure as I know my name) that I would end up so physically sick if any of the holiday NMF passed my lips, that I really believe it’s not worth it. I proved it to myself last year and I know it will be the same this year.
    Thank you SO much for this great timely reminder.
    Love you!! 💕💕

20. Jacinthe Routhier

J aimerais beaucoup vous écouter sur enternet mais je ne comprend pas l anglais je ne parle que le Français ,c est dommage.J ai lu votre livre et présentement j ai commancer la perte de poids .merci

Nous sommes vraiment désolés et souhaitons pouvoir traduire tout notre contenu dans de nombreuses langues. Vous souhaitant tout le meilleur! <3

21. Dale walker

Susan , oh my gawd. You must have heard my discussion with my buddy this morning! I am not winning this race/ this battle/ this challenge I began Jan. 2018..
    Feeling so badly about having been on. And off the program or resuming over and over over months!
    This week very discouraged and thinking that My goal of getting to a healthy weight before my life is over will not happen!!! ( 268 down to 185 was my dream) .
    I am 78 now.
    Your blog today spoke to my heart as well as my highest self and my saboteurs!! I am on my 2nd boot camp. Did RBRZ. Did Gideon games.
    Sooooo thanks for today’s blog. I will listen again and again and try to rezoom again!!!
    Dropped 45 pounds in the first 6 months Ave been on and off the full program ever since. At presentI have regained 15 + from where

We are cheering for you all the way, Dale. Up, down and sideways! 😉

22. Rhonda Black

This is simply magnificent, inspiring and beautifully timed. Thank you, Susan. <3

23. Daniela

In a world that most days feels full of fake news and craziness, your honesty and genuine conversations make your vlogs truly helpful and inspiring!!!
    I have written down the quote and will use this to help me with my struggle with food and other tough areas that I need to stop and face.
    Thanks again for all your hard work, it’s so much appreciated.

24. Kimberly L. Pritchard

SPT, your vulnerability and transparency are incredible. You are changing the world, one person at a time. Two and a half years, clean and sober, thanks to BLE and you sponsoring me 😉

25. Patrice Glasscock

According to my research, Richard G Scott should be credited for your quote ‘Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now.’

26. Patrice Glasscock

Thank you for your vulnerability. It helps those of us who are struggling with this right now.

27. Suzan

I’m probably in the minority but this vlog blows my perspective of BLE. What happened to piercing perfectionism? Do those of us who don’t have months & months of squeaky clean lines now see ourselves as less than becauall we’ve succeeded at is The Rezoom mindset? Relapsing and a Rezooming has been my success journey. I’ve gone fro over 200 lbs to close to goal range, I’ve admitted I’m an addict and established a program of recovery in which I have peace and sanity most of the time. I’ve been sugar & flour free for months & months but haven’t perfected quantities over time – that’s where I break. But I don’t crash & burn & quit! And when life gets too lifey I have a community and tools to treat myself with compassion, learn the lesson and carry on without sham.e. Can’t that be celebrated as a huge life victory? Not as a place to stop but as a huge NSV?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Suzan. You have a valuable perspective. <3

28. Don Benedik

A great inspirational vlog. I’m with you!

29. Cheryl Sousa

You have an Amazing Way of Hitting the Nail on the Head. Again. Right Between the Eyes. Right Where I Live.
    Thank you for Inspiring me….and others…to keep vigilant.
    Grateful for you and your deep, powerful message. ♥

30. Tanya

Probably my most favorite vlog to date. It just makes so much sense ….. why I should not tempt myself with NMF or NMD. What in the world would I gain from it? NOTHING , that’s what! Thank you Susan! Love how you share your knowledge with us

31. Kelley

I love you Susan! I sooooooo needed this vlog!!!

32. Sarah

What a wonderful perspective and great timing! Thank you for sharing your wisdom! This strengthened my resolve and shut out my saboteur. You have helped me so much!

33. Elena

Huh. for a gal who constantly negotiates and renegotiates with herself, this is a real stumper. Apparently, I decided the cookie IS worth it because that is always the decision I’ve made. But the math / equation explanation hit me like a ton of bricks. How can I continue to pick the cookie with this new knowledge I have been given? This is one vlog I’m going to have to revisit again and again until my default is to NOT pick the cookie. Again, another realization that I have a lot of work to do! A lot of work to do but so much better off than before. Thanks BLE! 🙂

So glad this hit you right where you needed it, Elena! <3

34. Claire

Fantastic reminder… It really is just another day. ❤️

35. Michele Metz

REally pertinent and helpful at this particular point.
    Thank you so much.
    I feel inspired by you to see the eating situation in the larger context of life– and not to see it as a sidebar of that which allows me to talk myself into why I can relapse.

36. Ellen

Whoa, whoa , whoa!!! This vlog is so HUGELY helpful! Just picturing the two sides to the equation I think will be a game changer for me. Thanks so much for such a profoundly simple yet compelling way to think about our choice to stay the course. LOVED IT!!!

37. Linda

WOW — powerful and right on! Thank you

38. Sonia K

Loved the vlog this week. Thank you so much for doing this work (so I don’t have to!) I am feeling very strong with my lines – but perhaps too strong. I needed this reminder of the value of the peace that I now possess. I feel like it would be easy for me to rezoom, but even if this were true, what I might lose in the meantime makes it just not worth it. I fully intend to keep it bright during the holiday season and beyond. I commit to this journey one day at a time. Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season full of the comfort and joy of connection and peace!

39. Sharon

Excellent message. Just what the doctor ordered!

40. jon

wow…for me, that was the most powerful vlog EVER!!!

41. Laura Carlanell

Just what I needed to keep my no sugar no flour streak going beyond day 67. One bite of that former binge food would never be enough and the nagging for it never ceases in “Break & Rezoom” Mode. Thank you Susan for all the sacrifices you have made, now go love on your Girls and Hubby, that thought makes me very happy. You Go Girl!!!

42. Shona Freeman

What a timely message! Thank you for being so honest and real with us. It makes a world of difference knowing you already walked the path before us. Your encouragement is priceless!

43. Karen Hartley

Oh, boy! So true and so real for me! Thanks for the reminder. Sugar and flour are easy for me; I just don’t miss them any more. HOWEVER, my brain wants to snack especially at night and that is hard. I have learned the peace that comes with staying on plan and I have learned how messy it gets when I give in to that voice. Rezoom is even harder than just staying on plan in the first place.

That’s a powerful statement, Karen…”rezoom is even harder than just staying on plan in the first place.” Good thought!

44. Patricia Ricciatti

as we all know (i think), there are two kinds of people: givers and takers. and susan, you are a natural giver, a lover… you have so much to offer and you do. such honest self-examination and honest sharing of those results! thank you for all you have done and continue to do that is of such tremendous help to so many… may all the best of the season’s joys be yours.

45. Diane

This has resonated deeply with me. I’ve been in constant relapse over the past year, so I identify. Thank you Susan for calling it out. I will admit though that I am jealous because I’ve put on weight and am on the self-loathing treadmill. I can lay blame at the health challenges I have faced, the medication whose side effect is weight gain, but really my bright lines have been wonkier more than bright. The fault is in my mind and I’ve been feeding it to continue with it’s disordered eating. Today has been my first squeaky clean day in over 2 weeks. I know it’s one day at a time. I did the reboot Rezoom course and came out with a great bunch of support people but with my eating more in the ditch than ever as everyone was struggling and it impacted me. Again, I know it’s my choice to put NFM in my path, black belt saboteur in me for sure! For everyone out there that’s struggling I’m holding you with love and kindness and constant hope that we will get where we want to be sooner rather later 💕

46. Nadja

Wow Susan that was GREAT!!!!
    It really brought it home just how powerful your method is in controlling addiction and how important it is to stick to your BL’s.All those positive benefits demolished just for a fleeting impulse or an itch as you called it!Made me laugh because it SO true!!!!
    I’m so glad I found BLE and am on day 39 of my new journey and have lost almost a stone already!Thankyou Susan for ALL your hard work and honesty.
    Much love x

47. Nancy

Fantastic message, solidified for me what I want my mindset to be through the holidays and lifelong!

48. Linda

I’m struggling through my first “relapse” since starting BLE in January of this year. So not worth it!! The physical and mental pain was real and I wondered why I even thought I could “could get away with it”. Huge lesson learned and no more NMF for me!!

49. Dana Sweet

The best 23 minute vlog EVER! Today I saw the light! An Aqua Velva moment. To be rewatched every week. Immense gratitude Susan.

50. Ann

Great motivation. Love your proposed mindset. I am in a very right-sized body, but I have many good reasons to want to stay there, both physical and mental. The mindset you promote is awesome — Is (bad food) really worth it? Also love the quote: “Let’s not give up what we want most for what we think we want now.” That can be applied to almost every human mindset choice out there. Thank you. I agree with previous posts. This was the best vlog I’ve ever heard you do (I took notes that’ll soon be post-it’s). Thanks.

51. Cilla C Dawson

Brilliant!
    Thank you once again Susan.
    SO inspiring!

52. Elisabetta

Hi Susan, thank you for your weekly blog, it is always very interesting. I agree with anything you say. I had a similar experience, where my problems or whatever you want to call them (different to yours but in the category) seemed solved and then they were back. Unfortunately certain problems are cured but others become chronic so it is like having lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. You manage them, you live a normal life, you do a lot, but they are there. They will always come back when you are more fragile, when you are tired, when you are overwhelmed. And then you have to take time to find a new balance.
    I strongly disagree with you: you should not analyze data about yourself!!! that is not proper science! in concluding that your overall wellbeing is going down because of you not following your bright lines is inaccurate. What else changed? your business is growing so much and you have been very overwhelmed by everything. Could not be that factor that increases stress in your life, and decrease your overall wellbeing? Do not rely on your own analysis.
    Wish you all the best.

53. Mary Cornell

I am so happy that I discovered Bright Line Eating. The Bright Line Eating book was recommended in another great book that I read, called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. I had not been looking to stop drinking when I read Annie’s book, yet I haven’t picked up a drink since! I’ve read it 3 times. The third time, I highlighted all the other books she recommended. Praising God that I ordered yours Susan! Who knew after all these years (I’m 57) that the strength to all my weaknesses is my own mind! Thank you Susan for helping guide so many of us through the Bright Line Eating training. You are adorable and your enthusiasm is contagious! Bravo!

54. Lois

Susan, thank you for sharing what I needed to hear. So want to regain the freedom I had just a few months ago when I adjusted to maintenance prematurely. It’s so hard for me to accept my body needs so little fuel. Your vlog helped me see the pros & cons of deviating. Agreed – the mental downer is not worth it. Hugs, dear, precious lady. (Reading the cookbook is a positive!)

55. Samantha Howe

Just listened to this Vlog in a hotel room the night before I attend the funeral of a dear friend of 30 years who literally ate himself to death, so it’s a very poignant and powerful message and so true. There is nothing that would make me give up my life now for the one I had back in June this year, and I pray I never forget the pain, physical and emotional, the shame and humiliation that I felt.

Sending love and peace to you and your friend’s family and loved ones, Samantha. <3

56. Rosemary Saleeba

I liked your quote at the end. I have a related one- “Do you trust the program enough NOW to wait until later to find out why obedience was a good idea!?”

57. melynda

Today is my second day one which I have struggled for a very long time to get to. And today I listened to you – and also read a Rudyard Kipling quote posted by James Clear “If you don’t get what you want, it’s a sign either that you did not seriously want it, or that you tried to bargain over the price”. The universe is in alignment!

58. Tammie Kruszczak

Thank you Susan!❤️🤗

59. Gail

No justification needed… you get to be who you are!!!
    Personally I love your enthusiasm and passion.
    It’s refreshing!!!!
    This is a fun journey you are on ( your life) and I appreciate you sharing it with me/us❤️
    Love to you and your wonderful family 💝

60. kathleen

Once again, I am amazed at your ability to share anything and everything. It is this willingness on your part that enables the rest of us BLErs able to open up and share with each other despite mostly being virtual strangers. I am so happy to be part of this community that I cannot express it enough. I sometimes feel as if my gratitude journal cannot hold my gratitude.

61. Kyra Wong

I literally had a client ask today what I was going to do for thanksgiving. I could feel the sabatour justify why breaking my lines for that meal would be easier, even fun. After this vlog I will tell that “ roommate “ to quiet down. It’s not worth it. Thanks!

62. Maria Spiri

This is one of the most awesome videos I have ever watched. I felt like you were speaking to me, personally. You truly touched my soul. Thank you, Susan!

63. Sara Lawson

An amazing message, delivered in amazing language. Like all the lights are on me the listener….there’s no hiding or prevaricating. I know what you say is absolutely true.

64. Teri

This vlog is what I needed, I am so far into the ditch – thank you Susan for your truth and honesty xxoo

65. Maria

THANK YOU VE-RY MUCH!!!! YOU’RE FANTASTIC!!!
    Thanks a lot for your openness, sincerity, lucidity and clarity.
    You have the ability to put in words sensations rarely and difficult to rationalize/verbalize/describe.
    Deep gratitude and appreciation to you!!

66. mary Beth

I am just learning about BLE and have not jumped in yet. But your statement “Let’s not give up what we want most for what we think we want right now” is my new mantra! So simple . . . . so true! Thank you!

67. Barb

Thank you Susan for this inspiring inside look into your own struggles. I am a recovering alcoholic and a newbie to the Bright Line way of eating and boot camp. I chose Bright Lines because of my past experience with AA and following the steps which helped me to stay sober for almost 10 years and the feelings of joy that brought my life. Bright line seems the perfect fit for me for both eating and drinking as I have been abusing both for such a long time now. I feel blessed to have found this program and that feeling has now been amplified after your sharing of this deeply personal journey. I am inspired and grateful.

68. Margaret Chapman

Thank you for this very timely blog. My head was starting to yap at me about holiday food. Adding to this, I am going on vacation in Iceland next week. I will be testing out how much food I can get to into one small suitcase. I can bring a up to 6# of food coming into Iceland. I may have to just lug another bag with me but considering that I was formerly lugging that weight plus a lot more with me anyway, I can deal with it! Other than some fish and very little dairy, I eat vegan, not so easy in Iceland. Until now I have not been very tempted to break my lines when eating out. But thinking of being on vacation and entering holiday season, my thinking process was starting to become twisted and I was considering trying NMF. The equation of a dessert vs the increased ability to hike, travel, and be my truer self is not worth it and this will help me keep this front and center next week and through the holidays!

69. judy korby

You are amazing!! I just finished my 14 day challenge and lost 4 pounds. I felt great and happy that something was finally working for me after so many failed attempts to lose weight and claim my happiness again….BUT last night after a busy, stressful day at work, I ate a large piece of cherry pie!! ok, maybe not the end of the world but to me it was….and I felt that I failed myself and BLE and in my 14 day evaluation of BLE, I did say it would be good to have a “what if I fall off the wagon” VLOG and the very next email from you was this “relapse” VLOG!!! I needed it desperately and now feel enabled to be a no sugar, no flour, weigh my food BLE eater!! THANK YOU, Susan!!!! you and BLE rocks….!!!!!
    judy

70. Anna

Yes, so much easier not to take that first bite. After 2 years, 8 months of BLE, I am convinced of this fact. When I pass through this holiday season, it will be the first year of celebration with squeaky, clean lines. Thank you Susan for your encouragement.

71. Marilyn Bamford

Thank you so much for this wisdom!

72. Tini

Thank you! Just would like to say you look absolutely beautiful ❤❤🤗

73. Laura

Thank you so much – I really need this encouragement and appreciate you being vulnerable for our benefit!

74. Kristy R.

Incredible. Just what I needed to hear.

75. Megan

I was exactly at the point of giving up til January. Watched this video yesterday and got up this morning to go to the farmers market to stock up on beautiful fresh veggies. Enjoying my BLE lunch now and, one day at a time, ready for the holidays. I loved your comment about the true joy and love of the holidays. It’s not about the food. And I’m not willing to trade all those good things for a cookie :). Love you, SPT!

76. Pamela

Amazing and inspiring. Thank you!

77. Helen Spingola

Another mind-blowing vlog; a keeper like no other. Will be reading and re-reading and re-reading……So insightful….And the
    Richard G Scott quote is an extra-added bonus from this vlog. With gratitude and love to our Leader!

78. Ramona Scott

Exactly what I needed to hear, Susan. I have been in Maintenance for 3 months, so grateful to be in my right size body and staying within my weight range. However I have slipped about a dozen times since beginning my BLE journey on Jan 1, 2019. Rezooming the same night/next morning has been easy for me but the last few times more difficult. I can see the accumulated stress you describe. I long for the “Happy” and “Free” . This VLOG has reinforced for me what my own research has shown me. Surrender to keeping Bright Lines. I am definitely more at peace when I do. Not worth any other way. Thank you.

79. Fay Thompson

Thank you! This vlog is one of the best and your message is just what I need right now. I have broken my lines during the past few months with snacking and adding a little extra at meal times. Then I would pull back for a couple of days. Week after week I would have to admit to my mastermind group that I had snacked again. I’m within a few of goal weight too. The problem is that I haven’t put on weight so I can kid myself that I am getting away with it. But I’m not because I don’t have food freedom. Thank you again, Susan, for your insight and your honesty. And for giving me an answer to the saboteur when it says that just a little more won’t matter.

80. Nancy Siddens

FINALLY found the time to catch up on vlogs and began with this one. I SOOOOOO needed this. Exactly where I am with things right now! Thank you for being so candid and straightforward. I can accept that I’m an addict but it is so hard to swim upstream in this society against food pressures. So much easier to just bend the rules a little than to continually resist. Needed to be brought back to reality

81. Melody

Susan, Thank you so much. You are such an inspiration to me. I am going to do it! Keep Bright Lines through the holidays. It’s not worth it the other way.

82. nancy

Just what I needed after a general downhill road for a few months. Yep, it’s not worth it. Back to the bright lines. THANK YOU.

83. sassimint grace

Dear Susan, thank you for everything. I worry that at times you forget to take care of yourself and end up breaking your lines. Re: 12 step program perfectionism – I think that it is patently obvious that SHAMING relapse sufferers is not helpful in changing addictive behavior, but at the same time I live in a small town where for years no one had any ‘clean time’ but shared regardless. This resulted in my giving up on O.A. and therefore myself. The most important thing is that we all learn from our relapse experiences how to prevent them in the future. I so appreciate the nightly checklist and the Stress List as well. I know for a fact that it is easier to STAY Clean than GET Clean. I am 38 years sober in AA and 8 years in Al Anon and love our standard advice to, ‘Take what you like and leave the rest.’ That works well for me.
    Love Sassimint Grace and thank you for facilitating my 191 days crystal vase.

84. Heather H.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
    This was exactly what I needed to hear in this moment. I’ve been struggling ever since the boot camp and have never been a crystal vaser:( I really have been working on my identity as a bright Lifer and eater, and this vlog has really helped clarify that!!! Thank you for all you do, you do so much for all of us struggling with ANY kind of addiction ❤️

85. Riadh

The stronger the addiction, the more strict one should be, and addiction is progressive, so if its mild now, it will be strong few years ahead, I prefer to treat all addiction levels with at most strictness

86. Kate

This is an amazing vlog! Just fantastic! Thank you! Your points of how long and draining the time it takes to recover after a relapse is, how insane it is to chose a cookie over the abundance of benefits from staying bright. I’m going to save this to listen to many times over the holidays to reframe, resist, and stay bright.

87. Lola

I’ve been enjoying finding my way through the Bright Line Eating book and I’ve joined some support groups as well. I’m not sure whether this has been addressed before, but I was wondering Susan’s thoughts on what Whole 30 eating calls “sex with your pants on”. I see many people in the support groups coming up with replacement items for triggering NMFs by “working” the BLE system. (Lentil pancakes etc.) Doesn’t this just replace the additive behavior with something slightly less damaging without addressing the core issue? How do we work through what is causing the craving, rather than just replacing it with something safer? (My mom used to “smoke” celery. It didn’t work.)

Hi Lola! Welcome to BLE! Some people do make (what Susan calls) “sexier” food choices than others. Some people keep their food very simple while others are able to make pancakes or muffins out of bananas or make lentils into tortillas (without any flours or sugars) and have it work for them. What we encourage in BLE is to “keep our eyes on our own plates.” What this means, essentially, is doing what serves us best. Some people live with sexier food options long-term in BLE and some use them during a transition phase from NMF (not my food) to simpler, Whole Foods., and some individuals keep it very simple from the very beginning. We’re so glad you’re here! Welcome! <3

88. Naomi

Susan, I will share with you what I have found in my own BLE journey. I think your decline in wellness view can b fixed with your mind. Changing your view of your current relationship with food. You cannot attach your sense of well being to your ability to keep your BLs PERFECTLY. Yes the binge cycle takes time, but ya can’t let it get ya down. U can’t have a negative outlook on self because of that. It’s more helpful to think of that food thing u do as a DIFFERENT way of helping sustain yourself. For some reason, it IS the way you are taking care of yourself right now. Your body and brain is perceiving it as the preferred way of sustaining life. You cannot judge that. Before, it was easier for you to reach out to the ppl around u for emotional support and books for mental stimulation. For some reason food is what’s easiest right now. Don’t judge that. It just is. If u can let go of viewing that as a bad thing. Or seeing food for emotional support as a bad option, you will be able to maintain the positive image of self-preservation even while relapsing sometimes. Cuz u explained that overall, u are doing fine. U keep ur BLs 90% of the time. That sounds like an A to me. I bet your body is grateful for that. It’s a far cry from 0% of the time. Maybe u don’t read as much, but we all take intellectual breaks. This is just one of them. Maybe u don’t connect with family as much but they still know u love them. Kids r gettin older anyway. They’re ok. The work u did do in the first years of their life meant a lot and still stands. I think this is about perfectionism ma’am. U’re doing the black and white thinking with this. You AREN’T extending the love and kindness when you have a break you preach about. And you’re being drastic. You DONT have any of the problems U described: medications, falling over into other seats on airplanes, etc. Everything’s fine and u’re still saying ur bright lines weren’t good enough. They ARE good enough. Ur thin. Now free yourself and be happy! I think u haven’t learned that free and happy is a choice. It’s not something bright lines can give to u. Wishing u the best with this.

89. Michele Gelman

This was very powerful. I was Doug well with BLs for about a month and then got very tired and overwhelmed and stopped measuring food or sticking to food commitments thinking I didn’t need it anymore. It spiralled down I to binge eating fruit, healthy food and then dried fruit and then sugar until my stomach is almost bursting and I am in pain. So right the the rewards of eating (obsession, more cravings, pain) are not worth losing your peace of mind and ease around food. I hope I have stopped and that tomorrow I can get through the day without braking my BLs a nd I can learn from this and move on.

Sending love to you, Michele, as you sort through these feelings. <3

90. Fran

Second time listening….. Thank you! I need to re listen to your messages over and over! Greatly Appreciative for what you share!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️