Why I Sauna

In May of 2017, I shot a vlog called “Letting Go of the Number.” In that vlog, I talked about how I had decided to abandon my forever-and-ever, perfect goal weight after a long plateau at a higher number. But now, two and a half years later, I’m at that first goal weight, while eating MORE food. What shifted? The answer: I started to sauna. Sauna use is a miracle practice that effortlessly moved me past my weight-loss plateau. In this week’s vlog, I’ll explain in detail the myriad benefits of sauna use (and we’ll even take a field trip in my house, to my sauna). Trust me, this extra-long, science-packed vlog is one you won’t want to miss.

Ari Whitten’s Sauna Benefits Article

Find Out More About Sunlighten Saunas

Comments

1. Jody

Just wondering about the set up of all that (sauna, computer stuff etc)? Does someone from the company do it or? I wouldn’t have a clue as to how to set it all up and what about the electrical part? Does it need an electrician? I see lots dollar signs.

1. Lisa

I have the 2 person version that Susan shows. It is a fairly easy setup with 2 people, no special skills needed. There are special power requirements which I am sure vary on model. It does need to be a designated outlet, so we did need an electrician. Love mine.

1. Michelle

May I ask the approximate cost?

2. Paul

We bought a sunlighten unit 2 yrs ago and love it. Fairly easy to assemble….and then we just plugged it in! Tablet computer is wireless…not difficult. If you’re not mechanically inclined, I’d find 2 Boy Scouts and offer them $20 to put it together. It should take about 30-40 minutes.

2. Maggie Young

Sounds wonderful! I have easy access to a regular, old fashioned sauna but not to an infrared sauna at this time. Will I still benefit from using the traditional type? How hot and how long?
    Thanks so much for this informative vlog!!!

3. Laurie Morgan

Are there similar benefits to using a hot tub?

4. Dorinda Woodley

Although this vlog felt a lot like an infomercial for Sunlighten Saunas, I’m happy to learn that saunas are a great tool for weight loss. I’m going to go check out my neighborhood spa/sauna soon. I’m thinking Hot Yoga might be another great way to boost your metabolism.

5. Pam

I appreciate SPT sharing the science, but I’m a bit dissapointed on how the vlog turned into an informercial.

1. Sue

Agree!!

2. Devsuroop Khalsa

I agree as well.

3. Silvia

Yeah, that´s what I was thinking about… What a dissapointing vlog.

1. Helen Spingola

Nah, don’t need no sauna…..

We understand your concern, friends. We thought carefully about whether to present this offer in this vlog. Susan felt strongly about sharing the benefits of sauna use, and there are a lot of saunas out there. Often, people want to know what product Susan specifically recommends. Susan tried to stress in the vlog that there are many other ways to get the benefits of sauna use without purchasing a home model. The commission that BLE receives as a result of the sales of any Sunlighten products is put back into the company, towards our goal of getting one million people to goal weight by 2030. <3

1. Ede

It was a great vlog, and I appreciated the information! I have had an infrared sauna for many years, and it has been the best pain killer I have found! It was the one thing that helped with fibromyalgia symptoms. People who have never tried it, don’t know what they are missing. I would not want to be without it anymore! In my opinion, it is a public service to share information that can improve our health, and no one is pressured to buy. Thanks for all you do!

1. Shannon O'Keefe

Do you mind sharing what brand/model you have?

2. Devsuroop Khalsa

This is the first statement of any kind that I’ve seen from BLE about this vlog. Honestly, I don’t really feel like those of us who were turned off by the informercial approach to this vlog are being heard. Or…maybe you’re inferring that we just don’t belong here? Susan and BLE could have presented the information about the benefits of sauna use without it becoming an infomercial for a specific product and, thereby, making the veracity of the research (which also heavily promotes the specific product) suspect. Yes, she talked about all sorts of ways to get access to a sauna. However, she was clearly promoting that particular product. No doubt. The nature of BLE’s comment above – which is repeated in other responses – is also bordering on insulting. Basically, by stating “The commission that BLE receives as a result of the sales of any Sunlighten products is put back into the company, towards our goal of getting one million people to goal weight by 2030. <3", I'm hearing that we should shut up, get out of the way, and accept that we're going to be 'sold to' (and, by many reports, harassed by salespeople) so BLE can reach its goals. I don't generally get this hopped up about things and, then, go so far as to post about it but this really (really) does not sit well with me.
        From the vlog and this response, in my view BLE has really lost something in all of this.

Hi Devsuroop,

We appreciate your comment (and all the others here as well). We are so sorry to hear you don’t feel heard. We quickly addressed the first concerns we heard here on our website as well as on our social media feeds and in our Bright Lifers community. Some individuals felt very inspired and motivated by this vlog, while there are others who feel deeply that we missed the mark. The spectrum of responses has been vast. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts. As Bright Line Eating grows, we learn from each new experience. We will certainly be taking your feedback (and others) into consideration moving forward.

5. Seamonkey

Agree. This is an elite device. I would be more interested in the benefits of hot tubs or old fashioned saunas. I think original expoaure to red light is probably sitting around campfires

1. Helen

Yes, totally agree. Don’t need no sauna….did terrifically well on the BLE eating plan; been at goal (give a pound or two) for 3 years…and I absolutely love it….enjoy my SPT recommended 5-lb weight goal range (114-118) and have been at the lower end forever! Nah,
        don’t need no sauna. Ari is also good at pushing products. Guess that’s what they do, these weight-loss folk…..LOL!

1. Jay

I agree with you 100%. Pushing products is shameful. Ari is not a scientist, just a guy who peddles silly ideas.

6. Barbara Moody

Intriguing video. Much to think about. When we were living in Alaska my husband really wanted a sauna. Didn’t get one. Maybe now?! One question: How much research did you do, looking at saunas, before you settle on this brand and this model? Thanks

1. Ann

I did my own research before I purchased my Sunlighten. What I didn’t know was that Ari Whiten recommended it. Found out that after I was in their private Facebook group when someone mentioned it.

I have the two person unit. I am short enough to lie down with my feet up on the wall. I also do my stretching in it, so I’m glad I got the two person. Three person would have been great, but it jumped up in pricing.

1. Emily

Ann, what are the prices for the saunas?

1. Ann

They have several different versions, the lesser expensive is the Far infrared and that may start around $2500 (don’t exactly remember) This would be similar to other brands with just the far. The Impulse models, which have the near, mid and far, are $4000 and up. Mine is the two person and I think I paid just under $5K. They run different deals at certain times. My sister bought one after I did and we paid similar. I don’t recall exact prices, but this gives a general idea. They also have a solo unit and then just introduced the handheld.

7. Mary

Thank you for this vlog. We own an infer red sauna…not as fancy as yours…it was purchased over 18 years ago. I haven’t gotten back to using it regularly since a move and retirement 11 years ago. SO, guess what, I’m going to start using it again! It’s set up in our garage and just this year moved to a better location there….no excuses! Again, thank you for the reminders of why we got it in the first place.

8. Helen Viksnins

I knew it was going to be an infomercial fundamentally, but when SPT said that she was going to talk about the science of sauna, that’s when she got me. Just like when she got me for BLE. It was all about the science. Somehow my monkey mind has respect for “science.” I’ve been using a Sunlighten sauna at an Orlando location about once a month – East Coast Floats. Together with a soak in an epsom salt bath for an hour after the 37 minute detox cycle. (Glad she told us to wipe the sweat off!) After that session, I am always renewed. I use the whole time for meditation (a.k.a. sitting in silence with my own thoughts/non-thoughts) but it would be great to listen to something during that time – Stin Larsen’s meditations, Tibetan bells and water (Holosync) are among my favorites. Warning: if you put your contact info into the BLE discount on the Sunlighten page, you get a phone call if you don’t buy it right away. Plus I need to win the Powerball to be able to afford their products…

9. Ann

I have a Sunlighten. Absolutely love it and from what I’ve experienced, does what Susan is saying.

The unit is shipped to you. The set up isn’t difficult, just need two people. Probably 1.5 hours. Takes longer to unwrap all the packaging than it does to put it together. They have a video to watch. Yes it takes an electrician as you need a dedicated line for their warranty.

Expensive, but I have not regretted it for one minute.

Thanks so much for sharing this, Ann! Super helpful to others wanting to know more about the specifics of getting a Sunlighten Sauna set up. <3

10. Patty S

I have the Sunlighten Solo System, love it and use it almost daily. I haven’t experienced any weight loss benefits but love it after a good work out. It was Ari Whitten’s article that convinced me to get, and he recommends this brand. Got a significant discount by mentioning Ari. You can’t get pricing online but have to fill out a form and they will call you. They spent a lot of time on 2 phone calls answering my questions before I ordered.

11. Stephanie Smith

The Fitness Center I belong to has Infrared Saunas in the locker rooms. I cost me $10 a month.
    Now mind you they are not fancy like yours but they are affordable. So like Susan said research.

12. Susan Clow

Good talk and very fascinating that just yesterday, I was able to join a gm and part of that gym is a sauna and I used it today. I also wanted to talk about stress. I retired March 1, 2019 and within 5 months, I dropped 20 lbs. I’m at a better weight, but the only differences I see are a lack of stress and also not eating real late at night any more since I’m home to eat dinner at a good time. I feel so much better and sure look forward to doing the sauna 3 times a week when I go to exercise. But loved this talk very much.

So interesting, Susan! Sounds like retirement is treating you well. 😉

13. Teri Milner

Great info, I did a search and there is an infrared sauna down the road from me!! Thanks Susan, always informative and helpful.😊

14. Deb Babcock

Doesn’t infrared radiation stimulate collagenase which in turn, degrades makes collagen? Infrared radiation can cause skin laxity not improve it

15. Catherine Jackson Frazier

What about hot yoga? Is it not hot enough? Do you get the same detox benefits?

16. Devsuroop Khalsa

I love saunas. Always have. We have one in our home and we go through phases where we use it and where we don’t. I’m inspired to take a sauna tonight.

I also love BLE, the benefits, the community and all that we have all learned and gained from it.

But…I have a ‘but’ here…I am really bugged by the infomercial aspect of this vlog and that both Susan and the research article promote the Sunlighten sauna product. This appears to be self-enrichment and promoting a product and, for me, taints the veracity of the information and research presented.

I hope that future vlogs steer clear of this sort of approach. If the vlogs keep heading this way, I know I won’t watch them anymore.

1. Seamonkey

I have been repelled by any SPT vlogs where she advocates fany shmancy enhancements. I always think hey wait , isnt it supposed to work if we just stick to the BLE plan? The whole red light detox thing is too first world elite for me. I bet the big 20 yr study she quotes in Finland was not in red light saunas.

17. Beth

I gave a steam shower. Is that the same as a steam sauna? What temp should I use? 20 minutes?

18. Barb Grey

Does the heat of a hot tub provide similar benefits???

1. Jodi Maile

I was wondering the same thing.

19. Amanda

Buyer beware… Susan please look into the level of EMT your sauna emits. I bought one just like yours about five years ago and felt horrible every time I used it. I bought a EMT tester and it was off the charts. I complained to the company and they returned my money no questions asked…which was great of them. Perhaps they have made the necessary improvements. Since then. They did seem like a conscientious company. Just make sure you check. We ended up finally getting a clear light sauna and have been very happy with it. So glad the hear the word getting out about Infared saunas. We find ours it be a lifesaver!!

1. Tracy Donegan

I’m so glad to see this comment. I’ve been researching infrared saunas for over two months. I settled on the Clearlight also. Luckily, I was able to try four different models in my area before making a purchase. The Clearlight (Jacuzzi brand) made me feel instantly better. And I noticed this brand was also on Ari’s approved list.

2. pamela brodersen

is clear light the brand name?

20. Susan P.

Thank you Susan! A couple months ago I treated myself to a sauna /massage package at a local spa. One of the employees enthusiastically presented a monthly sauna package on my way out. They have the
    mpulse saunas and I loved loved loved the energy and experience and signed up. I’ve contemplated discontinuing things do I really need to spend the $$? After listening to the blog not a chance unless I absolutely can’t afford! Thanks again!

21. Seija

Greetings from Finland – the homeland of saunas! 🙂
    Here practically every home has a sauna – a traditional one, not infrared!
    Couldn’t live without it!

22. Sherie Cooper

Hi Susan, this has been very interesting!

I understood that people with high blood pressure were not supposed to use saunas or hot tubs, this would include lots of people who are overweight or obese.

Have I been misinformed?

1. JJ

No, you are not, and if you read all the caveats on the website for this piece of equipment; diabetics, people with replacement joints and pacemakers SHOULD NOT use their equipment.

23. Fay Thompson

Thanks for the vlog. I have used saunas but it is good to know the benefits. They are more numerous than I thought. You don’t say anything about the cold shower? I have always believed that. the traditional sauna involved alternating between sitting in the cabin and standing under an icy shower. Incidentally, I have started following some advice from Wim Hof, The Iceman, who says: have your shower, hot as you like, but finish with two or three minutes of cold. I have been doing that for the past five months. I’m hoping it is doing my circulation some good.

24. Julie Dew

I watched this video, and the whole time I was really getting the whole idea of the sauna, which is to be somewhere warm enough to make you sweat. If we were living in our natural habitat, we wouldn’t need a sauna. The sauna is an artificial way of reproducing our natural habitat. Where would that be? Somewhere that we could live outdoors all year ’round, like all the other creatures . . . somewhere tropical, where we could be outdoors every day being active and sweating. 🏝😉 Yes, we need sunlight and warmth!!🌞❤️

25. Cindy Cotter

Please shoot a vlog about digital scales (especially small travel scale)…. just to see how you use that every day would be so helpful!…thank-you…

26. Seamonkey

Please answer the question about how hot tubs compare in twrms of mitochondrial stimulation.

27. Kristin

Thank you so much Susan! I’m pretty sure my gym has a sauna, so I am going to check it out. I do have a few questions. 1 – how does a whirlpool compare? I enjoy the benefits of the heat and the jets after my workout, and I think my body temperature is raised, but not sure if it raises it high enough? 2 – what is the best way to counter act dehydration when using a sauna? Any tips? Thank you so much!

28. Mary Hunter

I’m glad I took your advice to check out places to sauna in my area. I found out that there is a spa right here in St. Louis that uses Sunlighten saunas! It is called Pur Sweat, and the sessions are only $20.00 with a membership! I’m going!! Thanks Susan!!

29. A Stuart

There are people that live in parts of the country that barely have access to fresh fruits and veggies, and here we are being admonished for excuses not to sauna? What kind of elitist club are we becoming or have we always been this way and I am only now noticing?

1. Seamonkey

I think the vlogs have been drifting, so i rarely listen to them because I dont want to hear about SPT’s life dramas- lord knows I see enough of that, and I do not want promos on other products, sold by friends she met at entrepreneur conferences. I think some thoughtful editing so that the vlogs are really about helping us with BLE might be in order. I really appreciate the info on mitochondria etc, but If you buy an elite computer controlled device with our fees, probably better manners not to flaunt it

30. Cathy

I would love to know if a hot tub has the same effects as a sauna. I suppose the difference may be similar to traditional sauna versus IR- the time you can actually stay in due to the heat.

31. Elaine Calli

I live in a small town & the only infra-red sauna is in a physio clinic & it costs $10 per visit.
    Extended medical, use to cover 80 percent, with a doctors note & a physiotherapists note. Now they do not cover it at all!
    So being retired & on a fixed income, I have stopped going.
    Unfortunately there are no other options here.

What a disappointment to have had that benefit revoked, Elaine.

32. Lisa ronay

I’m angry and disappointed by your vlog. It’s fine to discuss the health benefits of saunas but you crossed a line by promoting one company exhaustively. It was just one big infomercial.
    It makes me question your motives and whether I want to be a bright lifer.

We appreciate your thoughts on this topic, Lisa. We are so sorry to hear of how it’s affected you negatively, as that is never our, or Susan’s, intention. <3

33. Nancy Houghtelin

Disappointing vlog that sounded more like an infomercial than anything else. I usually share blogs with friends but I would never share this with anybody….it does nothing to promote an all-inclusive atmosphere because most people would not be able to afford something extravagant like this and you almost make it sound like it’s necessary to get down to your goal weight or break a plateau

Hi Nancy,

We are disappointed to hear your take away was that a sauna was required in order to reach goal weight. As mentioned previously we understand your thoughtful points. We thought carefully about whether to present this offer in this vlog. Susan felt strongly about sharing the benefits of sauna use, and there are a lot of saunas out there. Often, people want to know what product Susan specifically recommends. Susan tried to stress in the vlog that there are many other ways to get the benefits of sauna use without purchasing a home model. The commission that BLE receives as a result of the sales of any Sunlighten products is put back into the company, towards our goal of getting one million people to goal weight by 2030. We will certainly take into consideration your thoughts (as well as the feedback from other community members) moving forward. Wishing you a wonderful and bright weekend. <3

34. Kerry Allen

For the benefits of sauna use to my health, I would gladly forego SBUX, which is a very short lived pleasure, which is NO benefit to me and literally money down the drain. Thanks for the info. I can’t wait to share it with DH.

35. Rosemary Saleeba

I have the Sunlighten Solo edition that you lay in and love it. I found Ari Whitten through SPT and after going through the Energy Blueprint was sold. haven’t regretted it a bit. here’s a great article that goes into more details on all the benefits. https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/benefits-of-saunas/

36. Monica

I enjoyed this vlog, and it prompted me to start reading a lot about infrared saunas over the past day. I would recommend this article from the Atlantic (link below), both because it made me laugh out loud several times, and because it made me stop and think twice about the insane amount of money I was about to spend on this new infrared fad. I was actually considering joining a local spa to pay $25 per 30 minute infrared session. (They also offer $125 psychic readings, so how’s that for multitasking?!)

I’m not saying it’s not worth it, but it’s important to pause and realize that this IS “the new thing”, a fad that just so happens to be especially popular with wealthy white celebrities. The Atlantic article really chases down the science and again, it’s very funny. I am taking a deep breath and stepping back from this. I’m going to go to the regular old fashioned unfancy sauna at my gym and be happy with that.

I’m torn on the appropriateness of Susan showing us the fruits of her successful business. I get what people are saying about it being “bad manners”, “infomercial” and “elitist” but I also think that she’s just being real, as she always is. (And I don’t think she has bad manners!) This is something that she can afford. Most of us cannot afford an in-home $5000 experience. But she’s encouraging us to get out there and see what we CAN find in our neighborhoods. And I am inspired to go to the gym and spend some time in their co-ed sauna with the not-elite, not-infrared, not private, no wifi, crowded space and sweat it out with the other commoners.

1. Fiona Ervin

Excellent article – pretty funny and informative too. I thought the conclusion matched the data – “But, as far as I can tell, it seems like that’s all you can say for sure about infrared saunas. They are nice. (Aside from how they lie to people about their health while stealing their money.)” But, people can do their own research and make their own determinations.

2. Julie Dew

Hey Monica!🤗 Cannot thank you enough for supplying that link! I, too, laughed out loud a bunch, and how’s that for releasing stressful toxins?!😉 What a GREAT article . . . so funny AND well-researched and super informative as well. I agree with all your points. Thanks so much!❤️

3. Sara Sohn

Agreed

37. Karen Dooley

Susan My question to you , did you consider the EMF’s that the sauna emits? I know that there is some controversy with how much sauna’s do for you. If one is considering this as a tool to assist their health, I would meter the unit to see what in addition to the heat or infarred is offering. So, not so sure that having internet connection to your sauna is the best of ideas. Why not keep it a sanctuary for the mind and body?

38. Rajani Natarajan

Susan, I want to start out by saying I love you, the science behind your program and the fact that I’m in my right sized body after following BLE for less than a year. I have never been in my right sized body like ever!! But I am very displeased with the way the promo for Sunlight saunas was handled. I requested to find out the BLE pricing but the salesperson called me within 5 minutes and then twice in the next 10 minutes until I decided to block her! The only way to find out BLE pricing was to give my name email and phone number and I’m sure that’s where the sunlighten rep got my number from and that’s not cool at all.

Hi Rajani! We heard from a few individuals that Sunlighten was calling individuals right away, following the excitement of the vlog.

Bright Line Eating reached out to Sunlighten last week to find out more about the phone calls and they followed up with their sales force to make sure that all communications are respectful and reasonable.

We are so sorry if anything Sunlighten did caused you any distress.

39. Robin Cutler

I have an old sauna in my basement that has coals you put water on to make it hotter. Will that sauna give the same benefits as an infared sauna? Are you saying only
    infared or any will work?

40. Sharon R Altman

We orfered a Solo sunlighten sauna yesterday!!!! Csnnot wait for it to come so we can begin to use this fantastic health tool!

41. Elizabeth

While I agree a sauna has health benefits, I dislike the infomercial in the Vlog. Many people do not have the space or the money for this in-home luxury. I would never share this vlog with anybody considering BLE. I think a deciding principle for a vlog topic might be, “Does this vlog support the benefit of BLE?” Susan is aware of the vulnerability of her audience. Presenting this as a way to be on maintenance and magically (or scientifically) get to the low end of your goal weight , in my opinion exploits that vulnerability.

1. Karen Wilt

I personally agree. I’ve not been involved with the community for long (a few days) and that’s the way I took it too. “Oh, she’s selling sauna’s now for someone.” Also, sauna’s make me feel like I can’t breathe right. Can’t stay in them. I prefer hot tubs and that’s for joint pain, aches of the day or after a workout. We have one of those and I don’t know how elderly people get along without one.

Hi Elizabeth and welcome Karen!

We understand your concerns and appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

As mentioned above, we thought carefully about whether to present this offer in this vlog. Susan felt strongly about sharing the benefits of sauna use, and there are a lot of saunas out there. Often, people want to know what product Susan specifically recommends. Susan really tried to stress in the vlog that there are many other ways to get the benefits of sauna use without purchasing a home model and that there are other options that may be more accessible and affordable to a wider population. <3

42. Sara Sohn

I love saunas but did not like this blog. In terms of “science packed”, correlation is not the same as causation. Affiliate marketing is important to keep a business going but we are a vulnerable population and I do not like when science is presented in this way. In my opinion the blog information should be presented as affiliate marketing and opinion and not science. In addition, the emphasis on a weight number and elitism of what some can afford and others cannot also rubbed the wrong way. I love saunas, I love bright line eating , I love the staff of BLE and yet this is how I felt about this video specifically, not the program.

43. Lynda Hahn

I priced out many before I purchased mine last year. My ND had the same one I as ended up with in her place of work. So I tried it our and loved it.
    It’s a Heilsa Infrared Sauna.
    Up here in Canada we have an on line buy and sell called Kijiji, so I checked it out…I got very lucky as the one I wanted $2800.00 had been listed, almost brand new for $500.00 , and it’s was local! Bonus!
    I’ve used it at least 4-5 x week since I purchased it (a year ago) . I have a rediagnosis of Cancer and it’s great for detoxification!
    Check around.

44. Bonnie

It’s clear this Vlog stirred something up in this community. For me, it called up a filter in my mind that said, “oh no, another infomercial!” Kind of like when I receive a spam call on my cell phone. And afterwards, I a mixed response of, should I take this seriously and check out the world of infra-red sauna, or toss it into the advertising box? Either way, it left me with a kind of disconnected “huh?” So…whatever the intention, it missed the mark if this many folks, here and on the BLE lifers facebook page are voicing similar experiences of discomfort with it. But people and businesses make mistakes, and a simple acknowledgement and apology goes a long way toward restoring whatever credibility was lost (if any) in the process. I personally was confused by it’s mixed message of “science” in the format of a “home shopping network”. I just didn’t get why it was presented in this way. Having said that, and having just returned from a trip to Finland where there are more saunas than people and automobiles, I’m definitely going to check it out!

45. Mo

What about EMFs ? Are the electromagnetic fields high in this sauna. I read a review on the ThemaSauna with little to no EMF toxic emissions. Please tell us more…

46. Madeline Caporale

IMHO the vlog should have ended with the science of the benefits of sauna. The science portion of the vlog could also have benefited from a more clear distinction between sauna (dry or wet) versus those of infrared. A link to a video of Susan’s tour of her own sauna, which was very much an infomercial, should not have been part of the science portion. After Susan’s commitment to be more inclusive, I also find it very disheartening that she is promoting a product that many who participate in this program cannot afford. She is still speaking from a position of privilege which goes deeper than skin color, but also includes education, income, marital status and age among other characteristics. It is privilege to be able to afford a live in nanny, a personal assistant, a $8K three person sauna, and an in-home float tank. Even a single person set up is not inexpensive and may require electrical upgrades. Gym memberships and spa treatments may not be within the budget of a single parent household or a retiree. Not to mention that for someone living outside a metropolitan area access to a gym or spa with a sauna, either traditional or infrared may be very limited, if at all available.

47. Heather

Good gracious people! The criticism here is over the top no matter your income. She has suggested many options and only one is expensive. I think Susan is a national treasure. She is the hardest working person I know, saving many, many lives including mine. Please give her the benefit of the doubt. Love you, Susan!

We appreciate all of the comments on this thread. Some individuals felt very inspired and motivated by this vlog, while there are others who feel deeply that we missed the mark. The spectrum of responses has been vast. We sincerely appreciate all feedback regarding this topic. As Bright Line Eating grows, we learn from each new experience. We will certainly be taking your feedback into consideration moving forward.

49. Kathy

Hope I´m not too late to make a comment! It wasn´t so much the product promotion that bothered me (who´d want computer in their sauna?) as the unusually threatening sounding “Don´t you dare….!” talk from Susan. How dare she talk to people like that? Especially the “Don´t you dare sit on your Pity Potty?” That was rather offensive. I suggest Susan some down off her “Privilege Platform”. No Susan in part of rural Europe (and probably your home country) there are no saunas nearby – or if they are not all of us can splash out 20 dollars a month to go once a week. Some of your vlog watchers probably do have a few thousand bucks stashed away and copious extra space in our homes. Others live in small apartments on a tight budget. It was rather off-putting to see Susan flaunt her hifalutin lifestyle. Susan normally fascinates me and brings up useful ideas in her vlogs. As she often says, there are no BLE police – so no more “Don´t you dares”!

50. Naomi

Lol. This vlog! First, I’m shocked so many people have saunas already! Man really gives me an idea of ppl in this tribe. (Which isn’t a bad thing. I just find it interesting. ) Second, wow I imagined a sauna to be way more expensive, so that’s interesting as well. Third, I do appreciate learning about sauna’s but honestly, I was disappointed when it came to the reasons and the “science”. I felt like she didn’t give a complete explanation of why a person Should sauna regularly AND what to do with a weight loss plateau. Like if I can’t get a sauna what ELSE can I do about my weight loss plateau? Just nothing?! It also wasn’t clear that sauna use caused her weight loss. It sounded to me a reduction in stress could’ve helped with that ALOT. Also It seemed a bit of an obsession to go to such an extreme measure to get a sauna over like 5 lbs. lol I’ve never thought BLE to be a place of weight obsessiveness, but this really seemed a lil crazy. The way she presented this, It wasn’t convincing to me why i should sauna outside of a need to meet a number on a scale. And that made me question the motives of everything she said. I’m just gonna say I hope she got paid a lot to do that video and not just a commission. Cause as others have stated, it was unpleasant!

Hi Naomi!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We’re sorry to hear this vlog missed the mark for you.

Just to briefly touch on your question about plateaus…if you have a copy of the book, “Bright Line Eating: The Science of Living Happy, Thin, and Free” there is a section on plateaus that details very specifically how you can manage and tweak your meal plan in the event of a plateau. Also, if you’ve been in the Bright Line Eating Boot Camp, there’s a module on it as well. Both of those are great resources for more information specific to plateaus.

51. Naomi

She also didn’t explain HOW the sauna gets your weight loss back on track. What is the mechanisms that triggers the weight loss? Does it kick my metabolism in high gear or does it burn calories? Like do I just need to sauna for a short time to stimulate speeding up of my metabolism again? Or will I have to sustain sauna use to sustain the faster metabolism? It was just an incomplete explanation of sauna as a tool for weight loss plateaus. Susan as a PhD Student in engineering, I latched onto u because u gave complete, logical explanations. Complete knowledge is what empowers ppl to be able to have control over their lives. You have to understand people really trust you to tell the full story. I know I did. It can be dangerous when u leave out parts of the story. It was for me. Stay mindful of your power and impact.