The Three Stages of a Break

I was doing some writing and reflecting on my own Bright Line Eating journey recently, and I realized that, in my personal experience, there are three distinct stages that tend to precede a break in my Bright Lines. With this awareness, I was able to add a new tool to my arsenal that’s really helping me, and in this week’s vlog, I share it with you.

Want your own copy of Susan’s Risk Rating Tracking Sheet?

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD SPREADSHEET

Comments

1. Katie

I use a great app called Tally to do basically this exact same thing. I call it my “instrument panel” and on my nightly checklist it says “check instrument panel.” Just a hot tip for those digitally inclined. 🙂 Also, I find I’m more likely to do something on my phone when I’m tired and lazy than do something on paper, because the habit energy to be on my phone at night is already there.

1. Ari Averett

I am interested in this app. Is it a debt management tool that you’ve repurposed

2. Matthew C Wasilewski

Thank you! Awareness is so key. I also focus in on the “cumulative” effect: good, followed by good produces more good…but bad, bad, bad produces more bad.

I feel this the most with physical activity and exercise….being active each day promotes a desire to be active…being inactive/lazy each day promotes a desire to sit around and do nothing. Cumulative.

An object at rest…stays at rest. An object in motion… 😉

3. Margi

I clicked on those links but nothing happened,

1. Lisa Derrick

Hi Margi .. I just tried and they both worked… maybe try again??

Sorry you’re having trouble with that Margi! The buttons are live! You might want to try a different device! <3

4. Mary Hall

Hi Susan,
    Thank you so much for this. I definitely relate to this situation. In fact, the stress is what caused my weight gain every time I gained. I also have been having those conversations in my head with my indulged and have started to recognize the triggers. I wish I could say I always respond the right way, but this is a journey and I plan to finish it well. Blessings on your day and thanks!
    Mary

5. Michelle

Thanks Susan — I think this discussion has been one of the most helpful for me. I totally get it, and I think I would have allowed myself the bacon, too, if I didn’t have the same awareness as you’re speaking about. Wow.

6. Kari Malmanger

I LOVE THIS, Susan. Thank you! 😊 That totally makes sense to me!

7. susie k

Susan, you are so smart! thanks for sharing your insights, knowledge and passion! I am not ready to do BLE yet but I love to watch your weekly vlogs.

1. Debbi Neher

@Susie k that’s a great way to go; it’s what I did. I watched Susan’s vlogs for a couple of months (watched them in bulk from YouTube because I didn’t know they were a weekly thing) and eventually took the plunge – as an “experiment”. I just celebrated my one-year BLEversary, down 50 lbs later 🙂 When you’re ready, everything is there to help you!

2. Tori

Susie K, I feel the same! She is such a gifted speaker. I have been on and off BLE but have managed to lose 20 pounds with it in the last 1.5 years. it sounds like a long time but i’m within a few pounds of goal weight. I couldn’t even lose 5 pounds before! What I’ve found for me is that startin/restarting BLE even when I don’t want to has worked well. Within a few weeks i’m totally motivated to be on it! I am such an emotional eater, but I think heavy video watching can actually substitute for eating when I’m stressed or upset.

8. Joyce

Wow! I needed this right now! I’ve had really wonky, blurry bright lines for a couple weeks since I got home from a vacation. And, yes, I’ve been blended with the Food Indulger, who makes it all sound ok and logical. I’m downloading the info and tracking NOW!!!!!

9. Nina

Brilliant concept! Thank you.

10. Linda

Great vlog! This really brought awareness to the past 3 weeks for me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

11. Debbi Neher

I love the way you share your fresh insights, and offer them as gifts for us to try out for ourselves. <3

1. Mayra Garza Hitchens

Debbie, I’m with you. I love it as well. ♥️

12. Sean

Of course you nailed it. I do the same thing with eggs. I totally get that dynamic of “its technically within my lines but kind of sneaky”

13. Lauren

I relate. My last trip out of town with lots of exposure to NMF and NMD and other stressors exhausted me. I slowly, slowly shifted out of my normal self-care routine and good eating habits to do small cheats – like eating restaurant dressing – to soothe myself. It all led to a lapse and bingeing which continued when I got home. It’s good to know I’m not alone.

Begin with the next right step…the next meal, one at at time and you’ll be back on track in no time, Lauren! <3

14. Diana Miller

Dear Susan – please talk about neurotransmitters – recently my doctor tested me and I came up with 4 neurotransmitters below range – have now started taking supplements (ala Dr. Mark Hyman) to support those low (seratonin especially low) and my cravings have just sort of gone away with this additional support to my overall system. I am now a believer!

15. Ronna Berezin

Why….. if you are so concerned about health and all its tributaries would you take young children to a Denny’s ? You know better ! That aside…. this was a good video , and I learned alot notwithstanding your poor judgment in restaurant choice .

16. Kay

Thank you! Totally going to use the sheet. It’s printing right now!

17. Celeste

I think this may be a game changer for me! I have a question. What is “woke rough?”

It means when she woke up she wasn’t energized. She had to snooze for a couple more minutes. 😉

18. Emily in MT

You’re brilliant!

19. Mayra Garza Hitchens

Yes, you are brilliant. And loving. And I’m fortunate and grateful to have you as a part of my life, even if it is online.
    I saw myself in your share. Of course. It is having me really looking and paying attention to so many things right now.
    I’ve downloaded the sheet.
    Thank you.

20. Andrea

I love this! Especially the risk rating.

21. Jacqui

Hi! This sounds amazing. I’m looking forward to using the spreadsheet you’ve provided. I’m curious though – I’m on 3rd step of maintenance which is 2 proteins at breakfast. As 2 eggs = 1 protein 4 eggs would be a maintenance protein portion so confused by your choice to only have 2 eggs. Sorry – not meaning to be ‘watching your plate’ but as you are the grand poobah and using yourself as an example here thought it would be ok to ask. Thanks in advance! xx

Hi Jacqui! Maintenance can vary from person to person. Some individuals add different steps at different times based on their lifestyle and what works for them in their journey. 😉

1. Jacqui

Thanks! I’m aware….and curious! x

2. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

Hi Jacqui,
      Probably due to my Hashimotos thyroid disease, my metabolism is especially slow. So on “Maintenance” for the past couple of years I’ve alternated between the weight loss plan and slightly more (a maintenance breakfast but WL lunch and dinner). The day in question my food plan was pure weight loss. But again, that term is confusing, because for me it’s maintenance. It’s all I need to eat to maintain my weight.
      Hope that helps,
      Susan

1. Jacqui

Thanks, Susan! I appreciate your personal response. Bless you and thank you for sharing your journey and your community with me and all of us. x

22. Petra

Thank you Susan for this inspiring weekly vlog. I am just back from a trip to India and finding it difficult to stick to my morning and evening routine back home. Your vlog inspired me to check what are my risk factors and where my routine breaking indulger comes in! Thank you, feeling grateful for the insights you provided!

23. Riadh Asaad Ghanma

hi
    breaks will keep coming, and each time the addiction will find a stronger way to push me to a break, I have to keep fighting, and add more weapons to my arsenal, this is life, and this is the beauty of life

24. Darleen Abbott

You are the first person to say that fasting was a trigger. I was doing well for a year and a half the then I did a FMD 2 times 90 days apart. I’m still fighting to get back. I had my own meal plan that I was completely content with, but after fasting my brain basically said “screw you, you are going to crave all NMF’s that we can find, and you’ll be hungry every night, even if you have a big meal”. Sometimes I hate my brain. I am trying to pull things together and I think this may help. I’ve been listening to your vlog for a couple of years. Thank you.

25. Lola

Spot on!

26. Barbara Kramen-Kahn

Thanks for this valuable information, Susan. I have listened to the vlog 4x and downloaded the tracking sheet. The timing couldn’t be more perfect. I was experiencing many risk factors just as I listened the first time and had much more awareness of the desire to comfort myself with food. Usually I don’t act on those impulses yet they are still there. So, I’m increasing my support when my stress is high.

27. Janice

I absolutely loved this weekly blog!! And even Though when you say welcome to the weekly Vlog with your eyes rolling up gets on my last “F” ing nerve, I still want to listen and look forward to this every week. But for some reason this week is one of the best Vlogs ever!! Thank you !!

28. Lisa Cassell

Love these vlogs. But I know you know this but you don’t need sausage ‘for your protein’ in the morning. 🙂 I realize your comment was about being indulgent, but anytime I hear ‘I eat meat for my protein’, it just makes me cringe.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

So funny. I didn’t mean “for my protein” to mean “to get enough protein” I meant “for my protein” to mean “to count as my Bright Line Eating protein serving for my food plan that day.” I could have said, “I was thinking of having beans for my protein” and meant it the same way. The food plan is organized around categories of food, and protein is one of them. Whether we’re having tofu, nuts, seeds, beans, or sausage…it’s all our choice.
      But yeah, I get you.
      I know the drill. We can eat 2,000 calories of brown rice and broccoli and get all the protein we need. 🙂
      xo
      Susan

29. Helga

Thank you thank you thank you. I definitely need this tool to help me identify when I am in the danger zone. I have been in the danger zone for awhile now. Unresolved issues that I do not have control over but affect me none the less. Food comfort will not help nor solve anything. In the meantime I need to take care of myself in the best way possible. Living the Bright lines and the tools that make it all work.

30. Sarah Katzin

This was a very insightful and helpful application of the tools you generously share with us!

31. Nancy Goss

Great share today. Thanks!

32. martha sharon

hi Susan, you really hit the nail on this one! I will download the pdf’s, and use the tool; this will be a great part of the program!
    Thanks again for sharing your own growth.

33. Katherine

Great vlog! It strikes me that having a rating sheet and taking the time to recognize what is going on is a form of self-compassion: it provides a pause and consciousness so that that the authentic self can take steps to mitigate either the situation or the feelings, rather than having the food indulger feel she needs to do **something!** help!** followed by the food controller wanting to duke it out. (Can you tell I just watched your and Everett’s webinar?) I’ve even found (**occasionally**) that I could decide that I was going to do a one-time addition or change to my food, but planned it out, and consciously enjoyed it . . .

34. Narelle Cassar

Perfect timing as I am traveling over 2 weeks which also includes 4 days work and am going through an extremely stressful and tiring time which is challenging even though I prepared my food for the 2 weeks in advance. Love your spreadsheet and will be putting it into practice starting tomorrow!! Thank you so much for sharing. Sending you so much love and gratitude. xoxoxo

35. Angie Zale

I’ve similar charts in the 12 step community. Thanks for tweaking it to food.

36. Natalie Barnes

Susan, you hit the nail right on the head. This is the topic on my mind this week as I’ve had 16 very bright days and now it seems to be falling apart. Stress levels up, sleep down. Now I know, thank you.

37. Isabelle aka Positive Vibe/Homestead House

Susan, I personally believe that this vlog is the most accurate one you’ve ever filmed. Why? So far, you’ve given us so much knowledge about why we the brain is addicted, how to lose the weight and more…but just now, you’ve given us THE best tool to become aware in that tiny gap moment where we are soooo blended that we are just about to cave into a risky food choice. And what’s even better is that with that awareness, now we can make the right choice and also prevent getting to that “gap” moment where we will give in due to the fact that we are blended with the food indulger. That, just there, is the missing puzzle piece that BLEers who break & rezoom often needed to succeed. You have absolutely nailed it.

38. Ari Averett

Once again you have given my systems loving brain an actual tool for an actual situation. The nightly check list changed and continues to change my life; I’m sure this will as well

39. Margie Weiss

You are a genius, Susan! Your capacity to assess what is going on and finding language around it it a remarkable gift. Your honesty in sharing yourself with us and the remarkable tools you create is a great gift. Thank you so very, very much for all you do and give to us 🥰🥰😩

40. yvonne georgeson

I’m so grateful for this vlog,, Susan. It explains exactly what happens to me.

Question: One of my risk factors comes from health issues, mostly hormonal and menopausal issues. I know you’re not a medical doctor, but wondering, in your own experience, or other BLE’s that you’ve talked with , if you have any additional advice for these moments that have become SO hard for me.

Thank you!

That’s a great question, Yvonne and we know you aren’t alone in that. We’ll pass it along for future vlog topic consideration. <3

41. Jacqui

Hi, Susan:

I’m also very curious about the prompts you use for writing. Writing for 20 minutes is part of my morning routine. I use the model of morning pages from Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way but like the idea of using prompts. I wonder if this is a resource you would share with us?

Thanks again for being your frank, fabulous self and sharing so much helpful information and tolls!

Jacqui

1. Jacqui

Great! Thanks. xx

42. TrinityB

Thank you Susan! Loved this…could identify with looking for the sigh. I will check out this spread sheet. Thank you for being SO generous…I love your values and ethics…beautiful, beautiful!

43. Beth Holmes

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to listen to and learn right now. I’ve been doing BLE since Oct. 4, 2017. Have lost 75 pounds and been at maintenance since Aug. 1 2018 but have noticed I’m struggling a lot more in the past few months with comfort eating and the pull to binge. I’m going to try this tracking sheet. I’ve also signed up for Bright Line Freedom to work with my parts.

44. Marika Wiesen

I know this is an older vlog, but what does “Sexy Food” mean on the risk rating? Thanks!

Sexy food means food that is not simple. It’s been fancied up with lots of ingredients or fat or is made to be a copycat of another food.

45. Amanda Kay Creighton

When you spoke about the subtlety of the moment when the lines are broken, a voice came through me to invite you to participate in an international group exploring these very moments.

I’m presently part of the 2nd US cohort – Timeless Wisdom Training – in which we are deeply exploring these subtle places in a relational field, and engaged in practicing transparent communication, developing subtle competencies, and more. Each time I watch some of your recent videos where you talk about addressing the next level of the challenge of not breaking the lines, I see you, Susan, involved in the cohort in some way – we would find that out together.

Contact me if you are interested in exploring possibilities – ahmandakay@gmail.com / 510.365.7863.

Blessings,