Curiosity – Part 1

A dear friend came over to catch up today, and she shared some things that have given me a lot to think about—so much so that I couldn’t fit it all in one vlog! Watch to hear all about it and how it relates to your Bright Line Eating journey.

Comments

1. Kelly Herron, MD

Susan,
    I am very happy you are realizing your professional life goals! Congratulations, and I realize you feel comfortable with your membership in several 12 step programs. What about tradition 11? This very issue this was addressed in 1950 when the AA traditions were officially adopted to protect the millions of AA members around the world! Please respect the traditions of the programs that have enabled you realize the life you have.

1. Joseph

Kelly,

Did Susan in any way ever imply that BLE is a 12-step program? BLE is not on a 12-step path, and never was.
      Let me point out how it isn’t. While BLE incorporates in its program practices that Susan considers the best of 12-steps, BLE also includes advanced scientific discoveries that hold substantial potential to impact our global obesity pandemic. 12-step programs aren’t grounded in latest scientific findings.
      Joseph in Missoula

1. Sonia

Joseph, I think Kelly was talking about the part when Susan said the first and last name of a member and then followed it up by saying the woman she was talking about was in A.A. But, I think Susan got permission to say that so I think it was a misunderstanding.

2. Basha

really? that was a big tease!

3. Roberta Walters

I would love for you to get to know Navan Jain and the company Viome and how that could change your world and all the brightlifers.

1. Nancy Goss

I will piggy back on your reply as I have asked Susan to talk about the microbiome and how the imbalance in the gut bacteria sends direct messages to the brain which make it nearly impossible to resist. Feeding the gut to maintain the balance can drastically cut cravings and help us stick to healthy routines.

4. Neil Kummer

You are protected by your openness and love. That you can stay curious means that you are engaged and courageous.

5. Irish eyes

Dear Susan,
    Love you — love the work you are doing. Re: Curiosity, Part 1, I have found that, when I ask for feedback, it is generally what the Giver needs to see about themselves and not always useful information for me. Just as, when I Give feedback, if I stop to analyze it, it is generally what I need to know about myself, not the person I am giving it to. Does this make sense to you? That we are here to see ourselves in others and that what we think/believe/imagine about them is simply information for us about Ourselves. So I am not sure how useful it is to get or give feedback. I think it might be more useful to ask a trusted friend how they feel about themselves when they are around me, or thinking of me. If someone says:” I feel trusting, light-hearted and compassionate when I am with you” then that is really positive information for me. If they say: “I feel sad, scared and angry when I am with you” then that is also very valuable information for me.

Susan, when I read your words or hear you speak or see you on a vlog, I feel optimistic, energetic, compassionate, loving, encouraged and inspired — and I thank you very much for illuminating those qualities in me.

Love all ways, always.

1. Alicia Williams

I totally relate with your feedback!

2. Anne

Who is this insightful Irish person
      Great advice
      I,agree
      Another IRISH person xx

3. Joseph

I too like your comment. But I wonder whether one’s tendency to be an introvert or extrovert plays a role in this. As I understand it, and in general, extroverts get energy and inspiration through others, but introverts do not. Dr. Thompson is an over the top extrovert.
      Joseph in Missoula

1. Dina

if life was that simple! introvert , extorvert is a dated, over- simplistic view of human motivation.

Thanks for adding to the conversation here, Irish Eyes! This is an interesting comment and your question could be very valuable! “How do you feel about yourself when you’re with me?” That could create some great dialogue.

5. Susan Wind Edwards

Loved your feedback. I could handle that kind better also. At 77 years old, I am doing my best to stay off sugar and survive life’s losses. Only a little bit Irish (just found out on DNA). Blessings,

6. Bonnie L. Weiss

YOU CUT YOUR HAIR!!!!! Dang! I’ve been waiting to see how beautiful it is when it gets really long!

1. Stephanie

Yes I agree Dang you cut your hair. I thought it looked great with your waves and curls

7. Ivona

Susan you speak to many of us ! You definitely speak to me and your voice and words. Reflect rigorous honesty. Your V blogs are so inspirational. I feel like you are that high corporate coach to me.
    Igor will be in my gratitude journal and in a prayer.

8. Ronna Berezin

You are so self protective and defensive of yourself that this place where you landed was inevitable from the start. I think you could use a professional to help you. Breaking or not breaking your bright lines is not the question. All of your talking obscures the issues ….helps you avoid not just the problems , but the answers. That you admit you don’t know what you don’t know is another self defensive tactic for seeming like you are searching for answers , so you must be heading in the right direction. I am not a psychiatrist , but I would suggest you consult one. Pls don’t misunderstand my bluntness for being rude.

1. Joseph

You don’t know Susan well enough to make such a comment, which indeed, was rude.
      Joseph in Missoula

2. Helen

Are you kidding???

9. Mary

Wow, so incredible that today you are the second person who is praising or recognizing that trusted friends as source of needed feedback is a gift. The other person said to do an exercise where you draw 3 circles: inner circle are “Editors: people who make my story better or people who bring feedback in your life whose hearts are for you.” This is basically what you are saying. These are people who have permission to speak into your life, and in some areas of life are further along the road. I guess Spirit is wanting me to engage in relationships as a way of transforming myself!! BTW, the next circle are your “partners: people you link arms with, true friends, disciples together with and the outer circle are your “Inheritors: are those who I am pouring life into or giving to.” Thanks for this vlog that was touching with your vulnerability and your ability to present this with peace and calm and an extraordinary amount of authenticity.

Thank you, Mary! Interesting to hear similar messages are making their way to you in other ways and formats! 😉

10. Ann

As I listened to you and identified with you, I felt closer to you as you revealed more about yourself. This is hard stuff especially since you are in 12 step programs you know the nature of this challenge with food. I was actually hoping there was another way. Thank you for sharing with us so honestly.

11. Susan Lafferty

So appreciate your efforts to stay authentic and grounded. Your introspection and truthfulness are extremely valuable to emulate, for me and I’m sure many others. Not absorbing all the hype around you as you become more and more successful, and knowing the value of an honest, courageous friend, will certainly keep you from flying too close to the sun .

12. Sandy

I have enormous respect for you and have benefitted greatly from your program. One of my concerns re: blind spots has to do with what seems to be a lack of attention to some of the biases that come to play in the promotion of BLE programs. This is not in any way a personal accusation. As you know – and you say here – we all have biases and blind spots. I have tried to gently raise this in other forums, trying, for example, to respectfully respond to customer service. There does not seem to be a response. What I am trying to say is that there are also valuable responses and reflections that you may receive from outside your friends. BLE is a remarkable program but behavioral change is hard and this emerged in the Rezoom program.

Hi Sandy! We are so sorry you haven’t received a response from our support team! We respond to each and every email, so would you please try again? You can go to support.brightlineeating.com to send in your feedback! We’d love to hear from you. <3

13. Dina

Susan darling and all self-critical souls out there, don’t beat yourselves up. Compassion, acceptance, self-love are the hard thing to develop as we progress in our journey to a higher way of being.

14. Jo

SPT: Each of us maintain different boundaries between personal and professional use of self. I have always had a hard time listening to your vlogs due to my perception that your boundaries seem nonexistent. On the other hand, I understand that to achieve the professional success you have requires that ‘all in’ passion of the entrepreneur you exemplify. So here’s some feedback from someone who continues to both benefit and struggle with the BLE lifestyle, offered with lots of gratitude and curiosity:
    1. Be mindful it’s not about you, it’s now about your community. Self disclosure is only helpful if it directly benefits your community.
    2. KIS—less might be more—-weekly vlogs of 15 to 20 minutes seem long to me, especially if you’re spending 1/2 that time on what seem to be extraneous details. Are you willing to be more succinct?—think less detail of how/when you met someone who’s interaction with you inspired the vlog, or home/family life details not directly beneficial to content .
    I’m curious about (and so thankful for!) what led to your recent attempt to change the vlog opener. The eye roll exasperated me each and every time, because it seemed like a continual invalidation of the necessary professional persona for being taken seriously .
    Thank you for inviting this feedback,.

15. Cat

Susan, what a great vlog! I’ve been sinking lately, to the point I’ve gained 20 lbs since February, and my health is suffering, but I can’t seem to change, and as an excuse I’ve used the reboot/rezoom attitude to an extent that I’ve convinced myself I’ll start again tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes. Recently my husband held up a mirror to me and I was shocked and troubled by what I heard, but on taking away my natural defensive style and analyzing what he said he was dead on. I’ve been watching your vlogs for a few years, and I’ll admit, my preferences are when you talk about the brain, how it functions, can derail us etc. That’s what drew me to your program. My concern is that since you’ve expanded your field, recommending other peoples vlogs etc., that I’m losing the interest I used to have. I’ve lately read multiple books on diets, mindfulness, etc., and the more I read the less focused I become. It’s like in reading the books I’m actually doing something that will reduce my bad habits, but I’m not actually doing anything. Does this make sense? When my husband started his own company 39 years ago, he focused on expansion, and in doing so lost the thread of why he started. He became so involved in being everything to everybody, he changed and had inadvertently come away from his original goals, and it took years for him to realize he wasn’t truly happy. He then cut back on clients and focused on what he did best, and he’s obviously happier. It’s funny how you said your husband didn’t drink the SPT koolaid, my husband felt he got lost in his own success. We all need that certain someone we trust, your vlog today was dead on. Thank you

16. Norma

Irish eyes, I hear and feel every word you spoke. My feelings exactly about Susan. One other thought, I never get tired of her ever.

17. Katherine

Hello Susan/SPT — I find you unique in simultaneously being a leader, and being open about the life work you do yourself! There are so many of us in these programs that there will always be details that bug us — but to my mind,eye-rolls, style of intro, hairdo, etc. are trivialities that can never please everybody! So just to say glad to hear how I can learn from your experience; and I’m “curious” whether you suffer from there only being 24 hours in every day?? 🙂 I know I do. Good luck on your journey! You deserve to have a journey of your own, even if you are a leader! Thank you!

18. susie k

to Joseph: I don’t know what “Tradition 11” means but from what Dr. Kelly said, my guess is maybe it is that AA members are supposed to keep identities of other AA members confidential. IDK. but if Susan’s friend gave her permission to reveal her name, which she did, there is no problem. I could be totally wrong b/c I am not in AA and don’t know what Tradition 11 is. Can someone tell me what SPT is??
    Susan, I love your new opening and the vlog, as usual!

19. Nina

People tell me that I’m off all the time but it comes off as judgmental and harsh criticism are always unsolicited. I’m trying to figure that out as well. Why do people around me expect perfection from me?

20. Riadh Asaad Ghanma

why did you change the introduction?

21. Olivier

I really don’t know what’s bright line eating (I will discover). However your vlog was touching my heart deeply, as for me it’s important to be surrounded by friends that take care of us and especially without any judgement. Thank you so much

Welcome Olivier! In a nutshell, Bright Line Eating is a weight loss program that takes an addiction-model approach. We offer online courses to help others free themselves from food addiction. We follow 4 “Bright Lines”–we don’t eat sugar or flour and we eat 3 weighed or measured meals a day, no snacking. Let us know if you have any questions! <3

22. Natalie Fields

Susie K, SPT is Susan Peirce Thompson. 🙂

23. Bonnie Stump

Quick question. Addiction is what jumped out at me for some reason during this vlog. Does an addictive behavior ever leave, or is it an ongoing behavior that moves from one area to another? Corollary: is addictive behavior always a negative thing? Just wondering?

Thought provoking questions, Bonnie!

Addiction is not one size fits all. Some people never think about “using” after they have been abstinent for a while. Some carry the monkey on their back for life. The more we build new neural pathways, the more the old ones are submerged. Sometimes the addiction is to addiction itself. In those cases the addiction might be a displacement activity. In that case it is more likely that another behavior will take the place of the original. The addictive component if any behavior is basically representative of compulsion. Desirable behaviors can be engaged in addictively. The behavior such as exercise might benefit the body, but if done addictively, it does not benefit the brain or the soul.

24. Megan Hawthorne

Susan I LOVE your new introduction. You have modeled staying open to feedback and experimenting with new ideas. Wonderful.

25. Mercedes (from Argentina)

I love you, Susan.