Eating Dreams

In this week’s vlog, I talk about a common phenomenon experienced by people in recovery from food addiction (and other addictions, too). I can’t believe I’ve never covered this topic because it affects so many of us, but it’s better late than never. Watch the vlog to hear my thoughts.

Comments

1. Jodi Petersen

Thank you for covering this! My first few months of BLE I would have dreams on a regular basis where I accidentally broke my lines . I’d wake up feeling so guilty! Haha. So glad I’m not the only one!

2. Debbi Neher

I heard that coaching call! Was so relieved to hear your interpretation, because I’d had a couple of eating dreams about a month or so after I starting following BLE on my own last year. I’d started after reading your book, in a spirit of experimentation because I didn’t quite believe it could work for me. 40+ lbs later I’m closing in on goal weight, and it’s nice to have the reaffirmation that pretty early on in my experiment I became truly committed to this journey 🙂 Thanks as always for your work, and for your compulsively watchable vlogs!

3. Ariann Thomas

I am so glad you talked about this. I’ve had so many eating dreams of luscious sugar, flour eating dreams while I was losing weight. they tormented me because I woke up crying longing for pastry. But I never took a bite of sugar or flour. And I had the OMG feeling too. This went on for months. I am so happy to hear it is about commitment because I am so committed to this BLE. I am also happy to report the dreams have now gone away. Yeah. After months on the plan they not longer torture me.

4. Nitya

I have a regular dream in which I have the occasional cigarette without being readidcted. Once every now and again and then I don’t think to smoke for the next few days or weeks, then just have one. So not going to happen in real life.

5. Margaret Fagan

Eating dreams and such validate Freud’s position that dreams are wish fulfillment. So the first meaning is akin to Susan’s commitment – if you’re not doing this any more, then where you gonna get it? That’s right – in dreams. But why this particular night? After all, you’ve been clean for weeks. My take is that the fairly quick time dream (within a week or two after stopping) is a sign of commitment -your unconscious believes you and is trying to make it up to you. But after that, I’d suggest doing some recalling about what function the addiction had for you. Pleasure? Stress relief? Having a friend you could count on no matter what? Or???? Then the next step is to go back over the day of the dream. What happened that made you recall how good, helpful or whatever that old addiction buddy was as a response to whatever the day’s situation was? But though tempted, you held on. So that night the dream pops up. So, the dream is a validation – you won’t have it unless you are really on the safe side. So don’t worry – celebrate!

Really interesting thoughts Margaret! Thanks for sharing!

6. Ann

Haven’t listened yet, but have to say that I LOVE how you look as your hair is growing out–just beautiful!!! I have to say that I think this look is much more becoming than your previous hair style, not that it’s any of my business. You look soft and feminine, and you glow! 🙂

7. Michelle Clarkson

During a period 20 years ago where I had the motivation to lose 7.5 stones in weight, I didn’t dream, but must have sleepwalked, I woke up in my bed hugging a large multipack of crisps (think they’re called potato chips in America). I lived alone at that time!

8. joseph

$100 in 1989 is $208 in today’s dollar. An enormous amount for a 15 year old. Did it work, did you quit smoking?

9. Michele Burdette

So I haven’t had an eating dream to date, which has been 200 days as of today. However, I feel very committed to keeping my lines shiny bright and have been staying clean. Does that make me less committed than the person who’s having eating dreams? It doesn’t feel that way.
    Thanks for the great topic, Susan!
    And not for nothing, but you are definitely rockin’ a great look. Love you hair length and style, plus this color blue is wicked flattering!!! Gorgeous!

Michele, your lack of dreams certainly doesn’t mean you aren’t committed! Many people do have eating dreams and others don’t! Don’t worry! ;).

10. Cindy

Thank you for this information! I just had a food dream for the first time a few nights ago after starting BLE a year ago. In the dream I was eating ice cream or something sweet and creamy. I just was surprised I was eating it in the dream, as if it were by accident and I didn’t understand why I was eating it. I was so relieved it was only a dream!!

11. Wanda Madrid

interesting

12. Carolyn. Faver

I love the weekly blog. I just wish Susan would start it with more enthusiasm like the 14 Day Challenge or The Boot Camp. It is always great information, but she opens as if “here I am again – let’s get through this!” Just my opinion. I love the vlog and thank her for her weekly efforts. Thanks, Carolyn Faver

13. Paul Graves

I enjoy these vlog. I did my 14 day challenge and chose not to go into the boot camp until I was done with year end stuff and new contracts. I maintained and continues to lose weight; however, after about 100 days, I was feeling a little like a stick floating down the river, following guidelines but no connection. These vlogs keep me attached and I am starting BootCamp on Saturday. Thank you

14. Jenna C Reed Livingston

I’ve been a SPT fan for a long time now but haven’t fully committed to the BLE lifestyle. These weekly vlogs are such a valuable resource to me—thank you!