What if You’re Lower on the Susceptibility Scale?

Over the past year, I’ve had several conversations with people who are 6s and 7s on the Susceptibility Scale. They wanted to know what I thought the most important lessons would be for them to get “Happy, Thin, and Free.” I shared my thoughts and, to my delight, they agreed that I had nailed it. I actually think that there are nuggets here that apply to all of us, no matter where we are on the Susceptibility Scale. Watch the vlog to hear my thoughts.

TAKE THE QUIZ

Comments

1. Sean

Susan, this vlog demonstrates just why you are not a part of the “diet establishment”. I *love* that you have spoken in a nuanced way. As a both a counsellor and a professor, I have been dwelling on your susceptibility scale (which is brilliant, by the way) and pondering whether the scale might be split into sub-scales along various dimensions. It would also be really interesting to correlate susceptibility in a research context to other factors such as personality traits. Have you explored any of this? Thanks again for doing such crucial work.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

Hey Sean,

Great question! I have considered it, but haven’t tested it.

Hmmm….the wheels are turning….

Susan

1. Dr. Sean St. Jean

Hey Susan,

Let me know if you ever want to nerd out about this stuff or have a brain-storming session.

Sean

2. Katie Gates

I felt like you were speaking directly to me in the last 5 or so minutes of your vlog today Susan. I was at that dinner party in Portland but I don’t think I was part of this conversation. I wish I had been though. I’m a 7, and you’re right, my burden is different. I needed BLE to get my weight off, learn what healthy eating looks like, and heal my relationship with food. Now, over a year into maintenance, my program doesn’t look anything like it did at the beginning. I’ve struggled to feel like “part of the club” and ultimately it came down to a conflict of identity, and whose authority to trust. I’ve decided in the past few months to let go of my idea of my idea of what it looks like to “do this right,” and to joyfully claim what it is that I do, and what makes me free. I feel like I’ve earned the right to trust myself with food again after over 2 years of the straight and narrow. I love this journey. Thank you, as always, for making so much space for all of us. <3

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD

YES, Katie, TRUST your inner authority. The truth lies there.
      So happy I got to help validate that today!
      Hugest of hugs,
      Susan

3. Hilde Bryhn

Thank you so much, Susan! You talked about me – and to me today, and I really needed to hear exactly this today!

4. Kathy Starks

Beautiful, bravo, thank you!!!! I am an 8 but feel more like a 7.5 this helps so much. Love you Susan

5. Amy Brislen

Thanks for the blog, Susan. I had just decided that BLE wasn’t a “big tent” movement with room for me (I am a 6) because the people for whom the program was designed need the rigidity inherent in the design. Until this blog, I had gotten the message through coaching, FB posts and the subtext of the way even you, SPT, speak about making exceptions–which is anyone who deviates is fooling themselves. I want to be clear that I understand this is very important for many people, I am not being sarcastic here. I have felt that I could not be honest about how I was trying to work BLE because it would be triggering and unwelcome to others. I have felt completely isolated within this program and the few times I have tried to speak with people about my struggle, it didn’t seem welcome. This blog has given me a lot to think about since what I need more than a rigid food program is the support of a community and the tools to make sure I am living the healthy life I wish to lead. I am very grateful for being “seen” here.

Hi Amy, Thank you for your heartfelt comment. How do you think BLE could better serve you and others in your situation? We’d love to hear your feedback and hope this message from Susan has helped you feel like you belong! ❤️

1. Amy Brislen

Hi BLE! Thank you so much for responding, I am humbled. I have taken so long to get back because I’ve been really trying to figure out what WOULD help me feel like I belonged. It would be great if, once we graduate from the 8 week bootcamp and have a solid foundation, there is an advanced bootcamp that talks more in depth about how to make BLE fit with our lives, goes more in-depth with tools and teaches people how to live in the world and keep their program stable (We’ve learned how to do BLE in a vacuum–the safe space of the houses and FB Groups so lets figure out how to do it when things aren’t as comfortable). This might be an insane idea, IDK, and if it is, then if we could least have a list of resources and tools that help with more advanced BLE dynamics–that would be nice too. The second thing would be educating and training the coaches, mentors and monitors (and participants) about the validity of BLE for people who aren’t as tormented as those who are high on the scale–it seems that it is taken as common knowledge that there is only one way to do BLE. Thanks for asking; I still have a lot to think about and these are the ideas that popped out.

2. Chris

THIS. I tell people about BLE a lot, since I am very much a sugar addiction and the lines help, but I never commit and I don’t weigh my food, so I often tell people I’m a “modified BLE-er”

3. Sarah Haywood

I’m so with you, Amy and Chris!! I loved this vlog from Susan today and also felt like it was for and about me, but I, too, have run up against the feeling that I don’t really belong. For the person who responded from BLE, I don’t have any big ideas about how BLE could better serve people like us, but I do know that in the FB groups (not the ones for those who are in a family together (I think that’s what you call it?) or who have done a boot camp, etc.), the moderators are often pretty rigid in their views about who is ‘really’ working the plan… I’m sure they’re great people, though, so I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing them! Just something to think about. Thanks so much for all that you do!!

4. Elizabeth

As a way to serve BLE participants maybe there could be different FB pages for different numbers on the susceptibility scale. One for low on the scale, one for mid range and one for the 10+. Those who resonate with this vlog maybe could start a mid range group? I think that would be most honoring for those participating. Maybe, than 6/7 for example can feel freer to express without triggering the 10+ and vice versa. I Love BLE!!

Thanks for answering our question, Elizabeth! You can actually request a special interest group in Bright Lifers, just like you’ve described here! If you’re a Bright Lifer, please feel free to fill out the request form. <3

5. Chris Seda

I feel the same. I am doing Reboot/Rezoom and I feel like I can’t really be myself there because I don’t want to trigger or upset the other people. I’m a Bright Faster and have made several modifications to my program that are really working for me. I’m down 30 lbs since October, and I am SO thrilled and proud about that! But I feel I cannot say that over in RBRZ for fear of making someone else feel sad. Especially since I am not working the program in its original sense. I don’t want to possibly be the cause of leading someone astray. I am learning a lot in RBRZ about that sine wave and how to stay out of the danger and destruction zone. I deeply appreciate the BLE movement, but I feel I am on the fringes. I really enjoyed Susan’s vlog today. I feel for the first time that she sees me and the others like me.

6. Kristina Jones

Your incredible understanding and depth of rapport fill my heart, Susan. Thank you for permission to do our shared journeys within the context of personal integrity and responsibility.

7. Linda

OMG! I have been waiting for this vlog for such a long time! Without actually knowing I was waiting for it, of course. It has helped me so much–I feel such relief. I have wondered why I have been so different about all this and now it makes sense. Bless you for your research, knowledge, wisdom and caring.

Linda, this is wonderful! Happy for your relief and the insight you gained from this vlog! All the best! ❤️

8. Mary

I’m a 7 on the susceptibility scale and you NAILED IT for me and my brain! I have been in a right sized body all my life, but I’m not happy or free when it comes to my relationship with food . I think about making exceptions with food way too much (especially sweets) and one exception always leads to another and another with me. I have heart disease and know that my health will suffer as a result of these exceptions. Thank you for the clarity and insights you provide in your vlogs! I actually heard your voice in my head this morning when I declined the piece of chocolate cake handed to me by a co-worker.

9. Frances

I Loved this VLOG, and it comes just at the right time for me. I have been trying to understand when deviations from the straight and narrow are manifesting self-responsibility and when it’s the saboteur. The straight and narrow has worked more miraculously than I ever could imagine for me. I am -55 pounds after more than 5 decades of yo-yoing, and now on maintenance for more than 4 months and having ease with that too. I am a 10 on the susceptibility scale but I think and feel, and want to own my program myself, rather than being a terrified (ie not free) rule follower. That is a challenge for me: take self-responsibility Or follow what you have shown me works. Here is the experiment I ran: I had a surgery that involved 2 months of wound care shortly after I went on maintenance. I wanted more protein, and it keep coming to mind. Then I thought, Can I be addicted to protein too?! But I decided, after researching it, that the best nutrition for wound care is more protein! So I added a bit more protein to my plan. No perseverating, no escalating, no weight gain, no loss of freedom along with a sense of trusting my body to give accurate feedback in this case! Wahoo! But once the wound was healed, I thought I should be on the straight and narrow again. That was when a bit of mental chatter escalated since I wanted to be a “good Bright Lifer”. I was stuck to playing exactly by the rules, and it made me a bit brittle. Yes, the straight and narrow serves me. I know that. With this information today, it’s so perfect to feel even freer to see if any deviation keeps me free or not, to be able to listen to the needs of my body as things change, to take self-responsibility to work the program so it suits me with full awareness as a 10 that sugar and flour are poison to me. Thank you for this lovely, clarifying, freeing VLOG.

10. Naomi

Your face makes me happy! you’re so beautiful! I always shake my head too for “welcome to the weekly vlog!”

11. Sue

Yes yes yes. This so spoke to me. Being a 7 and in a right sized body for over a year because of Bright Line Eating I have been struggling with exceptions. They always make me feel guilty despite them having no consequences on my weight. Thank you Susan for your wisdom on this even though you are a 10.

12. Becki

Woohoo! I am a 3 and have felt that I was/wasn’t a fit with BLE for a long time. Ambivalence is no fun! The best thing you said for me personally today was that I (just me!) had to figure out which exceptions were ok and which weren’t. This gives me great hope and new focus for personal responsibility–with no shame. Thank you., Susan.

13. Debbi Neher

SUSAN PEIRCE THOMPSON: CHAMPION FOR SANITY!!!

With every vlog of yours I watch, my respect and admiration for you grows. I myself have built a couple of differences into my program from the start, and it serves me well and works. I am happy and free, and within a couple of pounds of the goal weight I am heading toward. I do wonder if perhaps I am lower on the susceptibility scale than I thought. When I took it, I couldn’t actually remember a discrete 3-month period of my life to evaluate, so I kind of aggregated all my eating behaviours from over a lifetime (I was 61 when I took the susceptibility quiz). So maybe I am not an 8, but actually a 7 or even a 6.

And also btw, I love how your hair has grown out! Wow, what a cutie you are 🙂 Had to mention 🙂

Debbi, this is beautiful: “What your vlog today says to me is that the emphasis is not on identifying with *any* number, be it the number on the susceptibility scale or the number on the bathroom scale. It’s on self-honesty and self-responsibility, and looking beyond weight loss to living a life of meaning and purpose. Boom.” Thank you for sharing!

14. Lynne Turin

This tells me it really is about creating a baseline of knowing myself and my liberties without feeling that I am losing control of my eating and mind talk. It’s so personal for everyone and you are sharing all the various experiences that you are prevue to so we can be good at this. I love this vlog and it certainly articulates the vast differences in each of us. I would say that Wednesdays are my favorite day of the week. Thank you for sharing your conclusions and observations…..

15. Liisa

Very interesting vlog! I had a longer comment but have routed it through BLE support. I really do enjoy SPT’s weekly vlogs, which are always informative and well thought out.

16. Johannas Jordan

Love the hair. It really grows fast said the envious person!

17. Stephanie

Your hair looks great. Very becoming length.
    Why the ban on alcohol ?

1. Denise

Its liquid sugar and for most of us will send us off on a binge!

Stephanie, great question!

Alcohol is not a Bright Line Eating food for two main reasons: First, molecularly speaking, alcohol is precisely and exactly SUGAR, plus an ethanol compound that serves as an inebriant.

Second, the inebriating effect lowers inhibitions, so you have the double-whammy of adding straight sugar to the bloodstream and then whacking on a lowering of inhibitions…this is really, really likely to lead to some bites, licks, and tastes…if not a full-out binge.

There’s a third reason, too, which is that underneath everything, the BLE way is the way of mental clarity, spiritual connection, physical health, and emotional sobriety. Drinking alcohol runs counter to all those, especially for those on the higher end of the Susceptibility Scale. Probing deeper into why you may feel drawn to include alcohol in dining, vacation, or social plans may net some interesting moments of awareness.

18. Chris

That was wicked useful, speaking as a 6-7. If I allow myself too much slide, I know I’ll stop BLE, since it happened before. But I also know that as long as I keep up my vegetable portions and keep away from baked goods, the weigh comes off with very few cravings. Everyone is different, with different huge pitfalls.

19. Teresa Fischer

Hi Susan,
    Thanks so much for this vlog! I felt through some of it that you were talking right to me. I think I’m actually very low on the susceptibility scale, but haven’t been able to figure out exactly where. I went through Boot Camp without deviating from the plan, my leptin resistance turned around and I can eat my three meals and feel full at the end, and I got my weight down to my goal range within about 5 months. I didn’t really even know what bingeing meant when I first began the BLE program, and found that I thought about food much more on the program than I ever had in the past. So, since I’ve been in maintenance, I’ve allowed myself digressions and since I enjoy eating the BLE way, and I really appreciate knowing the quantities of food that will keep my weight in place, I just hop back on track with my next meal. But, I’ve felt guilty about not doing things the way the plan was laid out in Boot Camp, so I’ve withdrawn from most of my contact with BLE members. I didn’t want to risk sabotaging anyone. On the other hand, my husband and a couple of my friends are now working the BLE plan and are finding success with it. Thank you very much for giving us this slice of freedom!

Love hearing your experience, Teresa. The entire spectrum is welcome here! All the best to you and your husband!

20. Henrietta

Thanks for all your help! I’ve read and honored the BLE guidelines for several months, but as a “6” I think I can have a cheat day (like a birthday or anniversary or special holiday) without worrying that I’ve fallen completely off track. I am wondering if you recommend fasting to cleanse and get back on track after a cheat day?

PS: After I cheated on my birthday, I really didn’t enjoy the cake so much and decided that I could have said NMF and been satisfied.

21. Deborah Heintz

I know this has nothing to do with the content of the vlog but your hair looks fabulous! I absolutely love it!

22. Judy Fuller

Dear Dr. Susan, what an exceptionally good weekly, Wed. vlog, today, and apparently very timely for several of us! I’m a 5 or 6 on the SS (took the quiz two different times: once before my 14-day Challenge, and again before doing a Boot Camp, getting two different scores). So, I score somewhere in the “mid range” on the scale, overall. However, having gotten down to my goal wt. in Dec. of 2017 and then slowly and insidiously regaining back, in 2018, half of the weight I’d lost, I’m now trying to figure out just exactly “why?” Since I’m still pretty much (except they fit a little tighter) in the same, new “right sized body clothes” that I bought when I went onto Maintance, but have gone back onto Weight Loss, just because of the number on the scale going up; so it’s been very puzzling to understand. This vlog gave me the epiphany for which I’ve been searching: for a few, certain foods, such as mixed nuts or cheese or “a little” peanut butter, I think I must be a 10 on the SS, for those few foods. Realizing this may be the case, I’ll now put those items on my NMF list and see what happens. You have talked before about “trigger foods,” but somehow I never thought I had any. So it will be interesting to see how my experiement turns out by the time I finish the RBRZ course with you. Thank you, again, for all you and the BLE Team do! Much love!!

23. Ariann

By the way, I love your new hairdo! Thank you so much for covering this topic. You addressed me directly where I am now. My weight loss has slowed as I found myself slipping every so often. Then I go back, but the bright lines haven’t been as bright. No major crashes and burns so other discusses didn’t apply. This one hit the nail on the head.

24. Sarah

Thank you, Susan!!!!!
    I’m one of of those 6-7’s that can make a few deviations in my program and not get derailed by it. So often it’s been easy to feel that I wasn’t a full member of BLE because I wan’t following the program to a “T,” and I didn’t feel comfortable posting in Facebook about it. My excuse was that I didn’t want to put a stumbling block in the way of the multitudes of 10’s in the program. Sometimes I want to see how close I can get to the line where I’d fall off, then back up just a bit, but so far, I haven’t gotten there, and don’t think I’m really gonna try. I know there’s certain foods I should never eat again, but there may be a few other foods I could add back in sometimes. My weight fluctuates more than I’d like, even though I’m in maintenance, but I think that’s more due to my exercise/training program and how much sleep I get. I’ll be real curious to see how many 5-7’s are in Bright Lifers; maybe this vlog will get us out of the woodwork.

Good question Sarah! This thread is bringing out many of the 5-7s, so you can see you’re not alone! 😉

25. Joan

I’m a 7, I feel free, and I’ve a been a bit resentful about not feeling like part of the community because I’m taking self-responsibility in a few ways outside the straight and narrow. Thank you for addressing this. I definitely couldn’t have gotten where I am in my eating and thinking without those bright lines, but a few planned exceptions have worked for me, too. I’m still vigilant, though, and should the weight creep up or the peace and freedom begin to dissipate, I will know exactly what path to take.

26. seamonkey

This is ME. OMG This is ME! I am a 6, and I am getting tears in my eyes listening to this. I am feeling understood in a way I dont always feel in the BLE community.

27. Madeline Caporale

Was glad to have stumbled across this vlog. I am currently in Bootcamp and was on the bonus coaching call where you addressed the question from a member about her planned NMD exceptions. I too fall in the mid-range of the susceptibility scale. I know how it is I came to the weight I am now in the process of releasing by following the BLE weight loss menu plan. My issues have been stress eating and snacking, mostly of sugar and sugar/flour foods. I have never known what a right size portion is. Weighing food is truly giving me needed boundaries, as is the no eating between meals. Once I get to goal I will closely monitor any modifications and exceptions. I too have had a tough time with the label of a food addict , though I do recognize that there are some foods which I do exhibit addictive tendencies. The practice of weighing my food has not been difficult to adjust to, but I did experience resistance to the writing down my food . That resistance is lessening, though it may not become a lifetime habit. Going day by day and doing well at the moment.

28. Margaret Churchley

Thank you Susan. I am a 7 and have been feeling guilty about deviating with NMD. I follow the food plan and it works for me.

29. Hege L Brynildsen

Boot camp in 2017, a 7 on the scale, gaining back some of the weight but staying away mostly from sugar and flour, having three meals a day, struggeling with a bad conscience about not finishing last day of bootcamp, not getting my question answered, not finisishing last week research, just feeling bad for not being able to go on ‘perfectly.’…feeling culturally too, that american lifestyle and foods are so for from my culture. This vlog sort of healed wounded feelings- and I will go on to explore self- responsability (was that your ward?). Now trying a local program by nutritioner- more culturally fitting- and this vlog helps me be at peace with the ble- program as well. Thank you, Susan, for tour flexibilty and understanding! Ps. And great hair- I have similar hair now, but fake curls!

30. Becky

Oh my God, that is so me! Hearing you say that reminded me of why I came to BLE in the first place; I have never heard any other diet program talk about weight loss in this way. Thank you ❤️

31. Riad Ghanma

i dont know if i would stand by you in what you said about the lady with 6 on the scale
    i prefer staying strict

Definitely know yourself and do what works for you Riad! We’re cheering for you!

32. Susan Herman

Hi Susan. Thank you for the vlog. I am able to travel to my daughters without getting into the grand kids goody panry. I know we’re that leads me. I also enjoyed the part that gaves us freedom to explore and man up to what works in our lives. My husband loves to eat out. I’ve tried to ride his bus and that’s notworking for me at this time. I feel this disease is a trial and error sickness. There are so many deep facites to becoming a diamond who can shine in recovery. Thank you again for the tough acceptance and love. Sue H😍

33. Cindy

34. Nancy W. Goss

Hi, Susan,

Is there any relationship with the gut flora and where one falls on the susceptibility scale? Since it is being discovered that the gut is our second brain, I am wondering if the gut microbiome is more balanced, if one scores lower on the scale. Thanks for considering this question.

Hi Nancy! One of our dear coaches was able to address your question!

“I expect we would absolutely notice a relationship between lower Susceptibility Scores in current time when a balanced whole food eating plan such as the one in Bright Line Eating is adhered to, and healthy gut microbiome. So yes, I think there is a correlation between the experience of lower susceptibility and a healthier gut microbiome. That being said, we still have the concept of “once a pickle always a pickle” to contend with. Meaning; that even though we may test as a 2-3 on the SS once we get our food in order, we still have the experience and old neural pathways of being much higher on the SS. If we fall off our balanced and nutrient dense food plan, all bets are off as to maintaining balance. In other words the best insurance of maintaining balance is…you guessed it…to maintain a healthy food plan!”

35. Lauren Alten

I love this! As a 10+ I often take a dim view of those who would even THINK of messing with a “proven” (I have lost 60 pounds) plan. I have to confess that I am a bit like the reformed smoker who can’t help but do an inner eye roll when I see someone light up. But my personal life commitment is to experience and express compassion, understanding, and community in the face of diversity, and what better place to start than here in the BLE community? Starting the program by following it as it is laid out I think is important so you can actually see it work for you. I know that for me, I will continue on, following the BLs because that is what works best for me. My inner negotiator has finally calmed down and is happily riding in the back seat. I will keep my eyes on my own plate and only express love and hugs for those who do their own research. Blessings all.

Love your approach Lauren! Keep your eyes on your own plate and express love and support for how others choose to do it. Perfect!

36. Amy C.

Dear Susan,
    Thank you for this vlog. My mental chatter around “am I really addicted? Do I really need to be so strict about food?” Led me from losing 55 pounds after bootcamp to a steady increase of 20 pounds over the past year. I’m a 7 and have fallen into that pothole. And the biggest tragedy is the loss of empowerment and confidence I’d gained from living a life of integrity. Integrity is powerful and I miss it in my life. This vlog is a hinge point for me; a validation of what I’ve been suspecting for a long time. The bright lines are my path and I won’t see the consequences of breaking them for a long time. Without that immediate pain, its going to require more awareness on my part. But this hinge-point, small as a hinge’s movement actually is, will open the door wide to that happy place I once knew. Thank you thank you.

37. Suzette

I’m 100% with you on this Susan. I had to eliminate grain from my foods. And nut butters each for different reasons. But now 40+ lbs. down I am happy thin and close to being free. Thank you for your honesty and your program. Suzette

38. Donna

Hi Susan,
    Thank you for your wisdom regarding this #7 on the susceptibility scale. I had my first real slip last week after almost 18 months of BLE. Definite food desire kicked in after eating out. It was such a relief to jump right back to BLE the next day. I have to say that my learning has been to let go of the miss and focus on eating according to plan because, as I told my sister, this is what feels right and this is what makes me thrive!!! It also helped that I talked to my sister about it although I was somewhat tempted not to mention it. Am indeed claiming the good as well as the slip so the episode can truly be released! That is where the freedom lies for me!!!

39. Monica

Oh my god that’s exactly me ! I am on the lowest on the susceptibility scale and feel that I don’t belong here because compared to the ones on a 10+ my problem is only quantity. I am happy and thin but only partially free because I allow myself to have an occasional NMF. Thank you so much for your words dear Susan, I am soo relieved!

40. Stacy

Holy heck! Universe took my current struggle, wrapped it up, and returned with this vlog…literally brought me to tears. I am a Blifer, lost 85 pounds in a year, am a lowbie on the susceptibility scale, am on maintenance ( and dancing just beautifully) and am struggling with this very topic. I have also been struggling with feeling a bit detached from our tribe, trying to figure out if I fit in, slacking on my involvement with our tribe etc because I am not a high on the scale. To be at goal and feeling like I am not a good example and questioning my plan and all I have accomplished has been really hard. Especially realizing I did not understand what “free” is for me, individually. I was, for myself, generalizing, comparing and then rationalizing (and then debating) with my parts who I now know were all throwing out their opinions and creating confusion (and allowing my sabby to begin chipping away at my newfound foundation. I wasn’t looking at myself as an individual. I wasn’t asking myself those three very simple but super important questions…questions that as a BC graduate and BLifer that I should have known to ask. THANK YOU SUSAN! Tonight I retake control of my journey without that anchor tied around my ankle: Trust, Love, Happy, Healthy, Thin and FREE…is ME…I am at peace! You ROCK SPT! Xoxo

41. Rhonda Larrance

Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! This is just what I need to hear. I am also about a 6 on the scale. There are so many 10 or 10+ folks in the community that it is what we hear about most. It feels good to have a message directed to those of us lower on the scale because our journey is different not just quantitatively,but quantitavely as well. I tried reaching out in Facebook to connect with some others in the midrange, but did not get any responses either in brightlifers or reboot rezoom. It would be awesome if there was more out reach to those of us lower in the scale. Maybe a Facebook group or adding scale score to phone list to help us connect and support each other. Thanks again for this weeks blog.

Thanks for your feedback Rhonda! You can request a special interest group in Bright Lifers by completing the form on the Bright Lifers’ site! We can’t guarantee anything, but if we were to get many requests, it’s something we could look into.

42. Susan D

Thank you for this vlog. I felt like you were talking to me. I’m a 7 and have never been obese. In this program and in others I have done, I always told myself that I wasn’t that bad or didn’t have that much to lose, so it was ok to be a little less strict. Well, the result is exactly like you described in your first example in the vlog. You have made me realize what I’ve been doing.

43. Melody Diehl

Oh My GOSH – I am sitting here bawling the ugly cry! This is the key that I think is going to unlock so much for me. I am a 6 on the SS scale. I started BLE with Oct 2017 BC. I lost 25 lbs quickly but have been stuck for many months – trying to get off those last few 10 lbs. I have been so happy with my weight loss – down 2 clothes sizes and my labs are perfect. But every time I eat one little NMF I go into a guilt that enslaves me and has been stealing my joy of freedom. I am 63 years old and in school full time. I should be shouting from the mountain top that I have lost that much weight in the middle of a master’s program and not gained during this time!! But the freedom piece has been missing for me. So much externalized and internalized judgement. I had joined Bright Lifers – but just never felt connected. I love my original BC house and now am part of my areas Brightest. I’m so looking forward to connecting with local people that are on this journey. I feel like this vlog is a real game changer for me. I can’t stop crying!! I am going to now embrace the Free part of this program and stop living in judgement about these last few lbs. Thank you Susan for all that you do and all that you are! I can’t imagine my life without this program.

💖💖💖💖 So sorry the vlog make you ugly cry Melody, but maybe it ended up being a good thing, right?! 😉 Thanks for sharing your heartfelt thoughts!

44. Sarah

Thank you so much. The RBRZ phone challenge has helped me to feel nd other sevens but having you address us specifically is really helpful too.

45. Bonnie

Your hair is looking great!

46. Kimberly

This was a powerful message of self assurance and really working the program for results but in a customized approach and individual approach that isn’t a diet on a paper to follow blindly. Understand the basics, yes, but really work to your individual advantage. Thank you for the psychology as this was the missing part to all the other plans.

47. Lauren

Vlog topic suggestion

Inability to waste food

48. Jacqui

Dear Susan: Thanks so much for this. Even as a 10 I have found that some of the house moderators are a bit too rigid in their approach. I can also relate to others not wanting to post in their respective houses because they don’t want to trigger anyone or be called out for letting our saboteur take over when we make considered exceptions to the BLE plan. I’ve also heard you stand for our diversity in BLE and I SO appreciate that. I suspect those of us that are susceptible to addictive substances are also susceptible to feeling we can’t take a stand for who we are. As we heal this is probably the most freeing shift. I imagine that your clarification and validation here has and will give many a big leap towards freedom and self acceptance.

49. Sarah Katzin

Hi Susan! I am a 6/7 on the Scale. I loved this vlog. One thing I disagree with others about: I have never felt left out and have benefited so much from this community and the leaders! I think that, at least for me, I did need to admit that I am an addict, even though I am not a 10, and that this has been very helpful in making me humble and accepting what I have to do: follow those bright lines!!! I listen carefully when people higher on the scale talk about their struggles, because I believe that life situations change and that their experience might be useful to me in the future. I I also feel that you have empowered us in the past to make this program our own and I felt confident to make adjustments using the tools you have given us: externalizing, committing, asking the four questions etc. After a year and a half of being on BLE, I started to make a planned exception every week for religious reasons and feel like it does not mess with my freedom at all. I am struggling with my last few pounds to goal, though, so am going to revisit this and think about what you said here.

50. Margaret Rose

This was so helpful. I nearly didn’t even start Bright Line Eating because, as a Type2 insulin-dependent diabetic, I couldn’t see how I could manage it and not be forever having low-blood sugar episodes. How glad I am that I decided to just do the best I could and see what happened. My initial goal was simply to lose all the weight gained since being on insulin. I achieved that in 6 months . That was in 2017. 12 months later I was still at that pre-insulin weight by maintaining my BLE breakfast and lunch. Now, in 2019 I plan to go beyond ‘happy and free’ and try for ‘slim ( if not thin) by committing to the full programme again. Watch this space!
    But I completely understand the feeling of being ‘outside the tribe’ because I had to make the programme my own. It hasn’t helped being in the UK and not on Facebook. I guess there are lots more like me working the programme as we can, loving the Vlogs each week.
    Thank you for this one.

51. Gwen Churchill

I also feel that you were speaking directly to me. I’m on week 3 of Boot Camp, after doing the 14 day program, have been doing good on the program, enjoying the freedom from food thoughts due to planning and preparing. And having shed 10 lbs! I love freedom from the numerous thoughts of “what should I eat now?”. But, I do struggle with the balance between the structure and rigidity of the program and my personal choices. I had a drink over the weekend, planned and very enjoyable. So, your vlog today about drinking and fitting it in is well timed for me. I’d like to thank you for your wisdom, for taking the time to create these vlogs and to speak to us with such clarity. I am a former FA member where having a break meant starting all over again. You have created a beautiful system here with the structure along with the freedom to be human. I especially liked your point, “find where the guidelines serve you and where they don’t” and “what’s working for me”. You have found the magic balance between creating and sustaining structure around food but allowing some freedom that works for the individual. No shaming, no blaming, just personal freedom and encouragement to ask, “is this working for me?”
    I’m still exploring how alcohol will fit into my life. So, again your vlog today was priceless. Thank you so much and I’m very grateful that you have chosen this path for yourself and that you share this with the world!

Thanks for this comment, Gwen! We wish you all the best as you navigate your path! <3

52. Terez

Question: When a 6 or 7 (for example) makes a planned exception (written in advance, followed what was written, right back on regular plan the next day) — did they have a Bright Line Day on the day of the planned exception?

53. Fiona

I was a 10 on the scale, have lost 40+ lbs and am slimmer than I was 40 years ago. I do however partake of alcohol at weekends and struggle with the social aspect if I don’t share a bottle of wine with my partner which is planned and written down. It does not affect my food intake but subconsciously the calories do matter. I also have family members who are alcohol dependent and therefore I am not entirely free as I don’t want to go down that path. I also lost a cousin to alcohol that still upsets me eight years on. I think it comes down to whether the past and /or potential for the future are more important than being happy and free in the now. At present I can take or leave alcohol. Thanks for the opportunity to reflect.

54. Kathleen

I am so glad that you did this Vlog. I am a 5-6 on the scale. I do stay in touch with my Bootcamp Tribe on a regular basis and I too have sometimes been uncomfortable with sharing because my experience is not the experience of the 10++ members. I don’t want to look like I am bragging or possibly triggering someone in the tribe with my sharing. Truth be told – I need to get tighter with my program so I can finally get totally on track. Several months ago I became discouraged after I lost 40 pounds, when I looked in the mirror and became unhappy with the lack of progress even though I was in a normal weight range. I need to get my head back together to see if I was just in a plateau with my body and need to let nature take its course to catch up. As a result, I have gained back 10 pounds but still fit into the same clothes I wore before even though some of them are a little tighter.. I’m not where I want to be but don’t feel like I have gone off the rails. You were spot on with the rationalization that the saboteur uses. When I try to reach out to members of my tribe I don’t feel understood because they are a 10 and I am a 5-6. It would be helpful to have bright lifers from the same range in a separate group. That is why I dropped Bright Lifers – because I didn’t feel a part of that group because I wasn’t a 10++. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this important area.