Food Neutrality

What’s the point of doing Bright Line Eating™? The goal? The aim? And is it different if you’re high vs. medium vs. low on The Susceptibility Scale™? In the wake of last week’s vlog on surrender, I have some different thoughts about this. Watch this week’s vlog to find out.

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Jennifer Lewis

I need this program. I love this vlog. The question is “who am I when I am out of the food”. I am so looking forward to finding out. Thank you Susan for your honesty and you are an inspiration. Best wishes.

1. Ronda

Oh, Jennifer, you’re going to love it! It changes lives.

2. Marie Kemp

Hay Susan. You look great! I have just completed boot camp with great success and loved every minute. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Great post. I am one of those beings who loves to cook for others and I hear you say that you don’t have a problem with us Lower susceptibility scale people to cook however my brain has been so rewired that I truely believe that NMF is poison to my body especially
    S & F, so I am struggling with it being OK to cook NMF for other even though my husband loves my cooking, because I feel that I am feeding him/them poison. I need to find a compromise so that I don’t feel the guilt. Thanks again xx

1. Kate

I totally feel this. I too love to cook for friends and family and they love me doing it. I have actually baked and cooked for others throughout my 6 weeks of brightline eating and just not partaken but now I feel torn. If NMF is not good enough for me why would I feed it to all the people I love most in the world?! I’m not sure they will be impressed with a fruit salad on their birthday though!!😂 I don’t want to be that person bringing fruit to a cake sale – I don’t want to be the killjoy. I would have rolled my eyes at that person previously. but equally I know if we all going to make a change about the food we eat people have to stand up and do something different. I guess I don’t want to shame others inadvertently for what they are eating by not and I really feel others should come to brightline eating when thet are ready not because I won’t provide anything else!

2. Diana Matlack

Marie, I can so totally relate to this. It is so hard for me to watch my husband eat S&F NMFs Because I know they aren’t healthy for him. But over the past three months I noticed that he has decreased his food intake of those products so that makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing. I am trying to keep my eye on my own plate.

3. Lonae Cooper

I sure love to hear you discuss these topics. I am out of control right now. It must be stress. I have no neutrality. I have no will power. I am going to blowup one day if i don’t change my ways. I am not happy with my weight or body. You look great so you must be doing the right things.
    I just signed up fir the 14 day challenge.
    Thanks for you help.

4. Erin Connelly

Thank you!! Love this passage from the Big Book.

5. Stephanie Benson

Susan,
    I am a 59yo nurse who has had a career in mental health and addictions for nearly 40 yrs. Life has compounded lately and I’ve experienced a fairly new phenomenon of eating wrong with subsequent weight gain.
    You are a true inspiration. You are real and authentic. You are helping me (and so many others).
    Thank you for being you.
    Best regards,
    Stephanie

6. Ronda

Another wonderful blog. Thank you for your vulnerability last week and for your unstoppability always.

7. Melissa Wilks

Susan,

I totally GET you. I get what you say, how you say it
    — everything.

THANK YOU for being you, and for sharing all of you so openly.

Melissa, Atlanta

8. Grace Sternad

I recently came across you and Bright Line eating in the Thrive Series. I have gone onto your website and have been listening to your vlogs and reading your Myth buster emails. This idea of food neutrality really resonated with me. I am only a 5 on the scale, but I have been “fluffy” for several years even though my BMI is around 23. The mantra- “no sugar, no flour” keeps ringing in my ears. Thankfully my husband is on board for more veggies, less meat. Who knows, I may show up in one of your classes in the coming year. Thank you for your authenticity and freely offering your hard earned wisdom. On another Myth to bust- Most people gain 7-10 pounds over the holidays. Not necessary I say. Your thoughts? When I am stressed I try to go to the stillness which is my spiritual practice before reacting- I.e. Running to the pantry for comfort. It’s a journey.

9. Lauren

Love this. The difference in the headspace that food takes up when I am on sugar/flour/snacks vs. off sugar/flour/snacks is enormous. I have been a grazer and sugar addict my entire life, so MEALS causes an internal freak out and panic like I never anticipated. I really enjoyed what you read from the Big Book…I would love for that to be my life with food. Working on surrendering again.

10. Toni LaChine

Dearest Susan,

I so love the passage from the Big Book. I signed up for the 14 day challenge at the beginning of Oct, although didn’t commit until 10/31. I have been sugar and flour free since that time. Actually I gave up sugar 7/15. My saboteur is alive in my brain tho’. I was already thinking about where I could eat out on my trip this weekend. So thanks for this weekly message. It helps me understand that I still have a long road ahead. I must say I feel better than I have in a long time and I’ve lost almost a pant size. Hugs, Love , and Many Blessings . So glad I found BLE.

11. Rina Menashe

Hi
    I am new to the program and looking for a group support. Thank you Susan for a great and inspiration moments.
    I will need somebody to contact me and help me to be part of this big family.

12. Sylvia

Good thought on food neutra lity .great to know the feeling of it . Great as always Susan .

13. Christina

Susan,

I listened to all of your videos through the 14 day challenge, and now I look to hear from you during the boot camp. I thought I might be able to continue BLE after the 14 day challenge, but I just couldn’t imagine giving up seeing your videos more. It has really helped push me to this new life style and I am SO excited to see where this will take me!

14. Bridget

Another great blog, Susan. Last week and this week are hitting home. Spot on and thanks.

15. Natasha Heredia

I don’t listen to these as much as I should, I will be going back to listen to your surrender vlog, too. This theme actually applies to a few areas in my life and I am having difficulty even sticking to the bright lines because that seems to be making food an issue again…. So what do I do?
    Next question: I’m trying to shift my body goals to be more attainable –
    realistically, I’m probably not going to ever look like Ms. Olympia but I AM very capable of building strength. To do that I still need to be conscious of my eating habits, what, when, how, etc. This creates food focus and sends me into binges.
    In fact, the only times I feel neutral is when I basically just stop eating. I eat enough to keep off the dizziness and nausea and that’s it. I don’t think about it any more.
    How do I get to being healthy AND neutral?
    Then, Will I ever be able to weight train 5/6 days a week and eat what I need to get results?

1. Gwen

Natasha,
      You sound so much like how I used to sound before doing boot camp. I couldn’t disconnect from thinking about food, and I would barely eat to not think about it. For me, I didn’t see that the problem lied in what part of my brain was thinking about the food, not whether or not I had food on my mind. I am a 10 on the FS Scale, and with that comes all the struggles and guilt and extremes. How I broke free of all that turmoil was to let the processor in my brain plan the next day’s meals, enjoy making and eating the allotted food, and developing the mindset of NMFs being poison to my body. If I skip meals, think about having NMFs, or feel guilt for eating my planned meal because I’ve thought about food , I know those actions and thoughts all come from the sabbatour part of my brain. He also says something that took me a while to recognize… He wants me to feel out of control, so he tells me not to trust anyone else’s steering of my vehicle. It’s like I’m “food drunk” but I still think I’m the only one who’s can drive my vehicle home. That’s plain ignorant. So, now I let Susan and BLE drive me home. I gave them the address of where I want to be, and not only did they give me the map, but they helped to pilot me towards my destination. Once I started eating right and “sobered up” I could take the driver’s seat an let them co-pilot me (as long as I stayed on track and didn’t go off on a foodie binge or starvation diet again). Nowadays, I mostly do the driving, but I recognize the potholes and problems and follow the advice and help with the navigation of my journey home to a right sized body. I have recognized that thinking about food is supposed to be more like noticing the traffic signs and following their advice, not like seeing a Vegas marquee and driving straight into it! There will ALWAYS be thoughts on food. That’s actually a good thing. They just need to be non-obsessive and non-obtrusive. They just exist like my chore list in my head. I do it and check it off and move on. No biggie. If you have problem driving your body home to happy thin and free, by avoiding food or obsessing over food, start letting someone else drive for a while. And when you do drive, don’t close your eyes to the foodie road signs; just don’t steer off into them. Read them and move on.

straight into it.

1. Gwen

I didn’t mean for the “straight into it” to be at the end of my post… Haha! That was when I was deleting part and lost my place up in the post. Sorry! 😁

16. Amanda Settle

Wow! This was perfect timing for me this morning. I found you in April when I saw the susceptibility challenge on Facebook, did the test and wasn’t surprised when I came out a 10. I bought the book and then spent until late November reading it. It’s almost as if I was scared to finish the book because I knew once I did the next steps were going to be the hardest. Giving up the things I know I’m addicted to flour and sugar. It’s now mid December and I’ve still not managed a full day of bright lines, my saboteur is strong. I know I’m not doing things right. I’m not writing my food down the day before and not doing my morning properly.

Yesterday I went to a ladies Christmas pamper event. I ate some bad foods, far too much food, then had alcohol and ate lots of NMF’s by the time I went home early evening I felt sick and had diarrhoea. I’d eaten so much that most of the evening I felt awful with indigestion but still continued to eat the bag of chocolates I’d got in the secret Santa.

This morning I cleared away the wrappers. My joints were aching on my morning walk with the dog as a result of the sugar. I’ve kept my lines clean at breakfast but worry what the rest of the day will bring.

Then I sat down with my bullet journal to plan the weeks ahead leading to Christmas.

My husband has been away working since September, things have been very difficult financially and it’s been very difficult being apart. I’ve started up a new business working online trying to help supplement our income. There’s been a lot of stress, I’ve been in tears most days for one reason or another and my lack of control over food has just got worse. Finally admitting that and moving forward this morning I realise is huge.

Like you I’m a cook and a good one, I’ve blogged recipes and reviewed restaurants online. I was obsessing this morning with what I’ll do for the New Years Even party we’re hosting, while making my eggs and spinach for breakfast. Checking my email at the same time your video came up. Realising just how much time food takes up in my life is frightening! I used to smoke and quit 5 years ago, when I first quit it gave me back so much time that I was able to start up my blog. But now I realise that food has actually filled that gap in ways I hadn’t realised. I don’t need to obsess about the party I’ll make a big bowl of chilli like last year that everyone loved and the low carb nibbles, some people will bring plates of NMF but that’s ok they can enjoy that…

‘Food Neutrality’ will now be my new goal… Thank you

1. tammy

Thank you for sharing. Sometimes I feel so alone with this. It is comforting to know others are fighting this too…..wherever you may be. Just know that someone here in DC is doing the same…..feeling the same pain and fighting the same monster. As much as I should frame those thoughts with a positive spin (not calling it pain, or monster), it feels like I’d be skirting around the issue. I don’t know yet how to change my thoughts. But I’ll keep at it. I beat depression years ago with only thoughts, so I can beat this. But right now is a very dark hour. Thanks Amanda for sharing. I feel not-so-alone.

2. Gwen

Amanda, If I could give you just ONE piece of advice (out of sheer love) it would be to do the 14 day challenge. And I mean FULLY and FAITHFULLY do it. The reason I say this is that you have no idea what your brain is going to be like when those food addictions don’t have control over you any longer. You seem to keep trying to “handle things” on your own; with your willpower. I can tell you that doing that will only set you up for more guilt and struggles. Get your brain off the flours and sweeteners completely and with the addictions not dragging you all over the place, you will find that you will be ABLE to use the willpower to stay on track. I hope you will try it and find all the bliss that comes with BLE!

17. Maureen "Pua" McLafferty

Dear Susan,
    Wow….this is a huge topic, especially as a tandem ride to your piece on surrender, which I loved. Holy crap and thank you! For the way that you move into the heart and core of an issue and gently, skillfully, and playfully move into essential truths. You’re there trucking along and being profoundly honest, doing your thing, and unbeknownst to you, your words and connections are pinging off my insides….right, left, and center….touching, opening, illuminating, exposing. All I wanna do is duck, dodge and shimmy my way back into my well travelled denial delivery system.
    Instead, a parallel story opened as I listened….and tears began to well. I began to see random snapshots emerge of moments during my recent Bootcamp where I struggled and then totally derailed even after losing 18 pounds in the first six weeks, and after eating was becoming automatized, and after I was feeling awesome and unstoppable. But, I was unable to rezoom. Having known the calm expanse of neutrality, it is, ironically, also the piece that has eluded me during this Bootcamp journey.
    Neutrality can also feel like an anesthesia and sanitizing, a big, unsettling nothingness. Which it’s not, but it feels that way sometimes. For me, food is love…..when feeding and nurturing others; when being fed; bringing others together to share a meal; the love and joy that connects food to our memories; the love received in the artful joy of culinary creativity. I finally get that Neutrality and maintaining our Bright Lines are part and parcel, interdependent upon one another. It seems straightforward now. I can now see that Neutrality asks me to dis-associate my life from my eating, but not from everything that brings me joy. Neutrality isn’t about deprivation. It is asking me to reclaim everything that brings me joy and love by disassociating with anything that doesn’t support a bright line and neutrality. Creating balance. It is possible to automate eating without becoming an automaton towards food. Time to hold my bright lines in a protective circle that is my life and within that, paint with all the colors!

Because I derailed, I feel a little lost on where to go next and how to re-engage….Thanks for all your amazing work and guidance.

1. Gwen

Maureen, I loved your comment! You really touched my heart and got me thinking a lot about my own personal food journey. You are SO right about the disassociation of food from joys in life! I am a great cook (IMO) and have always used it to show love and to feel love. BUT… that same wonderful food always brought the, “I can’t breathe because I’m so full” kind of fake satisfaction that was inevitably followed by guilt and remorse and body dissatisfaction. My brain tries not to remember THOSE memories but they are there along with all the meals. I think I have a self-esteem issue tied to the food. If I can cook well, it somehow make ME a good person in my brain. And if I can’t cook those “I ate so much I’m gonna pop” meals for others, I wonder deep inside if I have anything else worthwhile to offer that will have them wanting to love me and be around me. I mean, I know I’m broken- from my upbringing, my food patterns, my thought processes… so I feel that self doubt and wonder how anyone could possibly love me without my using “good food” as a substitute for a “good woman”. Now, my rational brain realizes this is ridiculous thinking and also non productive, but the emotional battle rages on in the head despite the intellect. I will need to just continue walking the path of love and joy disconnected from food for a while- maybe even experiencing loneliness for a time- until I can see that this new path didn’t bring me to the abyss I was emotionally expecting. I am a toddler on this path and I can’t expect to run like a marathoner at this point. I need to expect to fall on my butt from time to time until I’ve figured it out for myself. And then the love and feelings of joy will feel natural again, and won’t be commingled with guilt and regret. It will be a real joy- one just about my honest self and my connection to others. Thank you for helping me to figure that out!

18. Sue Juedes

It’s too bad you weren’t around Year’s ago, it would have saved me a lot of grief. I’m 72 and have had open heart surgery and stage 4 cancer. I bought your book and started BLE on November 6. I’m down 15 pounds and feel so much better already. I just look forward to being able to do more activities with my grandson, like swimming and kayaking. Thanks for coming up with a program that actually works.

19. Dianne Curtis

Susan, I’m on day 440 with 1 minor break and then a week long binge coincidentally at the exact time you struggled this Thanksgiving (kindred spirits?). Of every single vlog, module, word in your book, Facebook post…this vlog may have touched me the most. While I’m living within my lines again (day 18 of shint brightness), I’m so far from being neutral that it’s scary. Praying my serenity returns soon. Thank you, as always, for being you.

20. Mercedes (from Argentina)

Thank you, Susan. I needed this. New word for my BLE journey: NEUTRALITY. You know, words are conveyors of meaning. And meanings tap on our memories. Every new word reaches different parts of our mental world, and the more BLE words and metaphors, the more territory of our mental world is colonized by BLE: Just as SURRENDER was The Word for last week, NEUTRALITY, with its denotation and connotations is The Word this week. I´m still struggling to surrender, and I´ll explore the world of neutrality. Thank you, always.

21. Cherilyn

“Making food a more sexy thing” isn’t my goal either! Thank you so much for saying this and putting into words how I have been feeling lately. I’m completely satisfied with the basics and don’t feel a need to get new recipes and make imitations of NMFs.

22. Beverly DiCarlo

You rock . . . . . (so chilled) a woman after my own heart!
    Now it’s Merry Christmas time Susan, to you and yours.

23. Melissa Kerby

Food neutrality is also scary, as “obsessing about food” has likely been the maladaptive copy mechanism many of us have used for decades, having developed in early childhood self-care, since we may have used food to comfort ourselves when we weren’t getting appropriate adult care (or starved ourselves begging for care, as in anorexia/bulimia) in an attempts to control one’s fundamental care environment. To believe or even allow a lifelong relationship – even if dysfunctional and abusive – to be gone, is like letting go of all that one knows of oneself. For those of us yet willing to trust life or ourselves, at hat’s a big pit in which to fall. Food neutrality is also scary as it may edge into indifference or apathy, that one may be tempted (or succumb to the tempter) that “you got this; you don’t need these guidelines or structure. Our fear is that if we’re not vigilant and focused on food, it will creep back in and bonk us over the head. Really interesting topic and agreed; that’s why there has to be inner work. Love you.

24. Tracy Compton

Thank you so much for addressing this and all the other issues that come up as we surrender (or not) to the BLE program. I love your hearing your thoughts born from all the years and experiences you’ve had learning to find food neutrality. Thank you for your time, your heart, and your candor as you lead us along! I truly loved be you❣️

25. Cat

Susan, what a wonderful blog. Thank you for continuing to surprise me and help me think about food from a whole new perspective. Thinking about food has taken up so much of my life and lately it’s been Christmas and New Years dinners. As I’m not cooking this year for the holiday ( Christmas at my sons, New Years going to a dinner dance) I’ve been so worried about what I’ll eat then, that I’ve talked myself into eating what I want, when I want, now, which in my case is nibbling on s&f all day long, saying to myself, I’ll start again in January. Although I know this is wrong, it’s been so hard to eliminate thought s of food from my mind, which as I’m a 10, means I can be in the middle of something and my mind alerts me to “there must be chocolate or chips around her somewhere.”, and I’m off to find some. I keep thinking How can I be doing something I love to do, ie reading, and yet in the middle of a great story, my mind deviates what can I eat, right now. My daughter just gave me a copy of TWELVE STEPS, TWELVE TRADITIONS, to read, thinking it might help me understand my issues around food better, and like you I’m going to substitute the word alcohol for food. Thank you again for yourongoing inspiration!

1. tammy

Wow…great comment. Me too!!! on the “… I can be in the middle of something and my mind alerts me to “there must be [food] around here somewhere.”, and I’m off to find some. I keep thinking How can I be doing something I love to do, ie reading, and yet in the middle of a great story, my mind deviates what can I eat, right now.”

Thanks for sharing. Same here.

26. Lily

It’s amazing what this time of year brings to mind, and most of it is NMF! I’m with you, Susan, on surrender and food neutrality. Thank you sooooo much for this wonderful BLE program that helps so many of us to experience sanity around food!

27. Claire

And there it is! YES! I am a person who really doesn’t LIKE to cook, but understands the importance of good nutrition and I DO enjoy my veggies and blah blah blah…and part of me fights against the focus that it takes me to stick to ANY sort of actual discipline because it feels like then I am focusing even MORE on the food…”being raped by food”…what a metaphor! What a concept! That whole thinking MONTHS ahead about a menu! I TOTALLY can relate!

I’ll keep on focusing on the concept of neutrality, spiritual practice and mindful eating…really appreciate your ability to make all these life long situations and lessons explainable…I often wonder why it is that I can’t just immerse myself in “the other” outside the vacuum of food and eating-where I naturally do dis-ingage and become nuetral-and just STAY there! I never seem to STAY there long enough to accomplish much in terms of the “right size” body! 🙂 But it is all ok…really! Thanks so much for being you!

28. Cheryl

I am a 10++ on the scale and what you are describing as the
    Big hole or gap is absolutely true! I will be going along
    Along just fine and then am blindsided by NMF

29. Emma Williams

I’m not entirely sure how I came about you and your work Susan – i think an email landed in my inbox one day, and boy am I glad it did – you understand inside and out the issues people can have around food, having been there yourself and that makes such a difference xx

30. Kathy

Sitting here in my woolies in Finland I´m filled with envy seeing you there sitting outdoors in the sunshine, sleeveless and bare foot!

31. Sophie Spencer

Wow! EXACTLY what i needed to hear – coming off a slip & slide of a wonky time with food. It’s been 3-1/2 weeks back on the program and i see i have to be more protective of my Bright Lines. That’s what’s needed now. It feels exactly right that I have to earn back that state of less protectiveness. Thank you so much for clarifying so many issues that i go thru daily. Your brilliance, your honesty–you make all this info so accessible and it resonates so much! thank you Susan! You rock!

32. Sarah Katzin

I love that the further along I am in BLE, the less I think about my next meal. After checking what I have in the house and writing down my meals for the next day, I forget about it. I literally have to open up my food diary before each meal to see what I am eating. I feel very peaceful.

33. Sarah

This is absolutely my favorite vlog so far. I’m totally tracking with your passion about protecting neutrality around food. Every word. Thanks for being so candid. You’re my bright line internet Mom! So grateful.

34. Linda Wilkins

This is so RIGHT. I have imagined being like some people I know (without food issues) where they can take-it-or-leave-it — it’s not important. I am that way about smoking and drinking — why not food? You say it so well, Susan. Thank you.

1. tammy

Me too !!!!!

35. Jodi

That was amazing. So often you address exactly what I’m going through. I really appreciate you doing these vlogs.

36. Jo Crawford

Hi Susan, I’ve been following your vlogs (from Essex U.K.) for about 2 years & have found all of them inspiring.
    I’m pretty low on the scale, so have been changing my food, less flour, sugar no processed as I don’t like it.
    Todays vlog I think was the best. You spoke from the heart, whilst also basing your information on well researched science.
    I also thought you looked lovely in a more informal setting with the birds twittering behind you.
    I think it also showed that after spending a week with your team (tribe) you looked truly happy & your thoughts flowed beautifully.
    Reminded me that it is much easier to be our” best selves” if we have others around us who are seeking a purposefull life. Thank you.

37. Esther

Great vlog. As you were talking I was morning the afternoons of cooking up a pot of NMF sauce while having a couple glasses of NMD. It feels like a broken up relationship. I broke it up because I knew it wasn’t right, but morn it anyway.

38. Dianna Morris Blakley

Hello Susan,

I have found food neutrality I feel safe and protected. I’m not fighting or avoiding and feel humBLE automatically.
    With BLE’s food simplicity and surrender my life is black and white and I am peaceful in entirely silent moments.

Thank you and bless you for being in my journey!

Dianna Morris Blakley

39. Rosalind

Love the reading but it was a little out of context hey?
    The chapter is called Into Action and the paragraph referred to, comes directly out of Step 10. Which “suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. we vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up our past. We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear and when these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them.”
    I have loved your honesty and service, but using the Big Book out of context is not OK, in my opinion.
    God removes the problem.
    Not “letting go”.
    Got to be really straight if you’re going to plagiarize the book that gave you the answer you needed in the first instance hon.
    Much love

1. tammy

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. I’m OK with it being out of context. She gave credit to the quote, and identified it not as her own. I commend that. I’m also not a “god” person, and wouldn’t have listened as much if she had quoted that whole thing that you just said. I’m happy to let Susan be Susan. It sounds like there’s something more bothering you here. I get like that too sometimes. It’s all good. We’re all after the same result.

1. Karen

I think you misunderstood what Rosalind is saying, tammy. She’s pointing out that leaving the Higher Power element out of it is not accurately representing the message of the big book. You may not be a “god person”, but God is a key element for 12 step programs. The whole message was not relayed was her point, as I understood.

40. Mimi

Thank you SO much, Susan. Once again you speak directly to me and my experience. “Food has raped me.” Yes. Food has stolen so much of my life that surrender and food neutrality is the only answer. Your insight and eloquence are just so appreciated. xo

41. Celeste McFarlen

Oh yes Susan! Thank you again! You voice what I was trying to say to a friend last week. Being on this program I feel as though I spend the appropriate amount of time related to food(shopping, cooking etc.). My frustration with other programs and my life in general before bright line eating was the enormous volume of time food demanded. This puts everything in perspective. I said to my friend I have other things to do I don’t want to obsess over food. It’s as though it used to drain energy from projects, plans, and even any spontaneity. So again, THANK YOU!

42. Diana Kaufman

Hi Susan and friends,
    I found Susan’s book at a local library in October and before I’d finished reading it, I eliminated sugar and flour from my diet and then took the susceptibility quiz. I scored a 9 (no surprise to me). I’ve been heavy from 4 pregnancies and working the night shift for 8 years. My baby is almost 38! Can’t use him as an excuse anymore! Susan’s explanation of the neuroscience behind obesity hit me right between the eyes, and it all finally clicked. I’ve had no cravings or withdrawal symptoms from no sugar. I had already lost 8 pounds before I started the 14-day challenge. BLE works!! I’ve lost 18 pounds now in 2 months. I have a long list of medical problems including massive clots in my legs, more than once, so circulation is not good. The first thing I noticed was that all the swelling in my feet and ankles disappeared! Then, I noticed my wedding rings were loose! Now my size 3X clothes are loose – – and I’ve decided that when I put my pants on and they slide down to the floor, that’s when I’ll go buy new clothes; but not too many, because I expect this trend of steadily losing pounds to continue. Thank you Susan for coming up with this plan and also for being such a good role model of success!

43. laura wermuth

Boy of Boy, Susan, this is a good vlog which really hit home with me. I am on day 300 of BLE and day 110 of maintenance. I am a 8 on the scale. Like you, much of my identity is connected with being a great cook and the person in my family always asked to do the family dinners, etc. So this year I am wrestling with staying food neutral vs cooking the great meal for the family. The two things are at odds with me as finding BLE friendly recipes requires hunting through cookbooks and then doing a great deal of thinking about the menu–which is by your definition, a red flag activity. Sure wish I had a personal chef to take over this task for me. Also have house guests arriving in a few days. They will not be getting the usual traditional NMF’s that I would have served them last year, but even so, the menu and shopping will require plenty of thought and preparation. The switch from making the food the focus to making the social connection/love the focus is the key to this, but I still will be the one to get this accomplished without breaking my lines. As you point out, we still got to eat. As I get further along in this process it is becoming easier since I have already discovered some foods/recipes that are attractive to guests as well as being neutral to me.

44. tammy

Hi Susan,

I dropped out of BLE about a month ago after deciding that I couldn’t do the 3-meal-a-day thing, though I did successfully cut out sugar and flour, and still have not touched them. I successfully and easily avoided eating food at a holiday party, and also at a big meeting I had recently. However, my food obsession has gotten worse in the past few weeks, and the weight is coming back. I listened to the Vlog today and had a little a-ha moment. I keep thinking that the obsession with food has to do with losing weight. Today I heard what you said and it got me thinking about my “problem” as not so much gaining/losing weight, but more that I have to deal with the actual obsessive thoughts themselves. That may sound obvious, but for me it’s a slightly different twist. I’m super bummed out right now about the weight gain and gluttonous behavior. But thank you for your words. I love the vlogs. I didn’t get much out of the Facebook group when I started BLE. It was too “surface” for me (comments about sticking to the plan, etc). I need more depth of conversation around the brain part. Your vlog today hit the spot….very deep. Thank you —from a drop out.

45. Jackie Richer

Thank you SO much for this , Susan!!! I thought I was a little late to watch this blog, but it looks like the timing is perfect. I will travel downstate to be with family for several days, and I had been planning to grab some unweighed food and just bring my scale, but I think now I may want to weigh and measure many of my meals. Today is my 83rd day of super bright lines, and I feel that I have been experiencing that food neutrality you speak of, but being with family can sometimes bring out some old, deep seated feelings, and it might be a good idea to be prepared!! Thank you, and God Bless you!!!!

46. Tonya

I, too am a recovering addict. I am a ten on the sceptibility scale. Tomorrow is my first day of bright line eating and I have joined the BLE Boot camp. I have watched the videos , cleaned out my kitchen, taken pictures of myself and have a list of food to purchase from the grocery store. I got in the car, drove to the supermarket and was hit with this fear that I can not shop alone. You see, I have never experienced food neutrality and live in fear of the grocery store. It is an overwhelming place full of chips and cheese and bread and pies, etc… So I came home and watched this video. It gave me hope and reminded me I am powerless and this fear I have is real. So, now my plan is to have my husband go to the supermarket and purchase the items I need for the next seven days. I do not trust myself just yet.

47. Robin Ritchey

I’ve just finished reading her book and am planning my foods. In the book Susan mentions the FAQ about any food you can wonder about. I’ve looked all over the website and cannot find these questions – the ones specifically about foods. For instance is Quinoa Queen cereal (looks like cheerios) alllowed? The ingredient is listed as whole quinoa, but how is that possible? It must be mashed into a flour form to mold it into cheerios shapes, no?