NMF Copycat Foods

In this week’s vlog, I answer a fantastic and complicated viewer question about my thoughts on borderline-acceptable products that I like to call “Copycat Foods.”

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Sandi Cather

Thank you Susan. I appreciate your insight into this. I am not triggered but I am aware that others could be triggered. But good to know, if we are not triggered, we could use some of the recipes. Thanks.

2. karen sesnon

Great insight. My husband constantly watches cooking shows and here I am at the start of week 4 , but I use that as a platform to remind myself of my goals and how good I feel eating well. And yes, if you are going to go to a grocery store or out to eat you are going to see and smell things that are NMF! I love this balanced approach.

3. Beverly DiCarlo

As usual, well spoken, Susan. Thanks for cheering us on with this food subject! Enjoying all food details you might share.

4. Elana Kann

I’m wondering what is your take on rice cakes? One rice cake is 3/4 ounce. Could it count as a grain?

1. Donna

Yes Elana, 1 oz of rice cake is one grain serving. 🙂

1. Melissa Kerby

Not positive, but I think puffed grain is discouraged . . . It’s not the highest order of processed, but pretty close, that order being – whole, cut, flaked, puffed, ground – the order of preference being such that the substance hits the body’s digestive system closest to whole form, less like a drug ???

5. YVONNE

As always – Thank you Dr. Susan, this was great insight into the psychology of breaking addiction.

6. MARGARET TERRIS

Great topic 👍🏽

7. Marie Kemp

Thanks Susan. This was so helpful and cleared up uncertainty. I love your insights and get great encouragement from all your posts I’m at day 37 on boot camp and slowly progressing to happy thin and free with the incredible help of BLE.Xx

8. Cheryl Goff

Bean pasta sounds like something I’d like to try but isn’t that made with beans ground into flour?

1. Maggie

I eat a lot of spagetti squash and “zoodles” (zucchini noodles) and since these taste like pasta to me but aren’t triggering, perhaps bean pasta would work for me. Does anyone have suggestions on brands that are most BLE compliant?

9. Irina

Great question! And – as always: GREAT answer.

10. Jamie Gordon

I didn’t have sound on this video, all the previous videos worked fine.

11. Coralee

Thank you for your comments. The recipes don’t trigger me either. I have tried the Ezekiel bread and it is all right. I leave it frozen and only tale a few out at a time but I forget it is in the frig so it is not a problem for me. The pictures of food encourages me that I need to be more creative 🙂

12. KathrynElizabeth

1) No sound d on any of the videos I have tried.

2) Earlier this week at Ryan Eliason’s seminar, I spoke with Susan and she told me of a blog which compared the ketosis diet with BLE. I’ve searched but come up empty on finding the blog. Can anyone help?

13. Jan

I think it is almost a trial and error process. Like Susan said, try it and see if it is a trigger food. I know I tried eating Triscuits as a grain and immediately found out it is not something I can safely eat. I wanted to eat the whole box!!LOL. The copy cat food is sort of like an alcoholic drinking near beer. You are tricking yourself to believe you are eating the food you really want and in my experience, sooner or later you will. BLE is to train us to have new eating habits with food and for me, eating a “pretend” food is old behavior.

1. Stephanie

Hello fellow Triscuits junkie. I loved Triscuits when I was younger. Use to put cheese on them
      and broil them long enough to melt the cheese. Have not had any for years. Sa some Cinnamon and Nutmeg
      ones and was intrigued. So I bought a box. Ate normal serving until tonight. Here I sat at the computer eating one after the other.

1. Christine

I saw that in the store too, as I use original Triscuits from time to time. However, the Cinnamon & Nutmeg ones also have sugar on the label. Probably why they were triggering.

1. Stephanie

Actually the originals are my favorite. I was famished. I ate lunch before 11 and it after 5 but way too early for dinner.
          I bought them on a whim because honestly I do not keep snack food in the house.

14. Stephanie

To me Ezekiel Bread would be turnoff to eating bread not a trigger.
    Cheryl Goff, I use the red lentil pasta from Trader Joe’s. I try to eat vegan and it has
    a good potion of protein. Yes the lentils are ground into a flour. They have to pulverize
    the lentils to make the pasta. There are several foods that are ground to make flour
    other then wheat. Oats, black beans, chick peas, coconut, almonds. etc.

1. Toni

I’m glad you mentioned that other foods can be ground into flour. I make oatmeal pancakes from ground oats, even bread from oats and coconut flour, which I make myself. Does it mean a ssoon as it becomes floor it’s unhealthy or it’s only unhealthy when wheat is added onto it

1. Stephanie

I do not believe it is the flour but what they make from it. White bread, cakes, pastries, biscuits , pies, pasta etc.

15. Stephanie

Why the term pretend food? Ezekiel bread is highly nutritious and a life saver for the gluten intolerant.
    Same goes for the pastas made without wheat.
    I am not a BLE follower but I whole hardly agree if a food has the bet you can’t eat just one affect on you
    don’t eat it.

16. Chris

You seem more subdued than usual in this Vlog, almost sad. I hope you are doing well.

1. Melissa Kerby

Hopefully, this is actually more peace, given Susan’s recent blog that she is striving to bring a more balance into what has been a few very very busy years. I was happy to hear she recognized the need for this change, despite being incredibly thankfully she was driven – possessed even – to bring her BLE vision to fruition (and the world!), but starting such a movement would necessitate near manic activity – pretty hard to sustain, especially with young children and living out a recovered life. Kudos Susan, and no doubt, there will be adjustment, maybe even grieving as you transition to a “new normal.”

17. Martha

I am new to Bright Line Eating ( day 8 of Challenge) love Susan and am losing weight. The other night I cooked spaghetti squash and made my own sauce being very mindful of ingredients. It really really triggered me and I didn’t understand until today’s vlog. I ended up tossing it all out because it psychologically derailed me. Man, it’s a slippery slope. Thank you Susan! There are so many food options that I enjoy so for me, I’m going to stick with them rather than copy-cat others.

18. Toni

Speaking of which, is brown rice flour good for you? The only ingredient is stone ground brown rice

19. Margaret

Thanks for your vlog Susan. I am patiently awaiting a BLE cookbook your staff is working on. The cookbook will definitely be a help to us. I am currently abiding by your book and have released 17 lbs.

20. Jennie

I am one of those people who made a NMF and posted a picture. I discovered in one group it was a welcome high fiving cheers all around post, and in another I got a private message to delete it because some may find it triggering. So I obliged. But in the one group where I needed to delete it we have an outspoken member who dislikes any and all food picture posts. She finds any food pictures triggering. So in my personal opinion, triggers are everywhere and you cant go into a bootcamp house and complain about food pics being triggering. The house has a negative vibe from people who drain the fun out of discovering new foods and wanting to share it. I hear can hear Sinantra…”that’s life”.

1. Jennie

A NMF Copycat….not a NMF! LOL Oops.

21. Wendy Birkner

I have never commented on a vlog before, but just wanted to say this was a really, really good response to a tough question!! Right on the money. I love that BLE is so strict and structured but still have room for personal customization to each individuals needs.

22. Pamiel

I was given the Bright Line Eating book as a gift from my mom. I have been following my bright lines for 79 days, have lost 28.6 pounds! I absolutely love Susan and her teaching. She makes more sense to me than any other change I have tried. So THANKFUL for her!!! I never miss a Vlog,. She is a true BLESSING.

23. Sandy McKinney

Loved this blog, helped answer a lot of questions I had about trying some BLE copycat foods. Since i’m A 10+ I think I will forgo the trying out until I get closer to my goal weight. Which is a long road ahead.

24. Millie

Great answers. I have to acknowledge that those things do still trigger me and just forget about them for a while.