The Priority

I had a poignant and extremely emotional experience recently that has prompted me to make some shifts in my life. It also prompted the topic of this week’s vlog. Watch to hear all about it.

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Helena G Movsesian

Thank you, Susan. You’re very courageous in sharing your most private thoughts and experiences with us.

As a mother of two going through a divorce and trying to keep all the balls up in the air, I often feel like I’m doing everything wrong. It’s nice to know I’m not alone.

All the best to you on your journey.

1. Arden

Dear Susan,
      Here’s to YOU doing whatever you have to do to keep your lovely family healthy and whole! I’m glad you have staff to do things that have previously been handled by you. You are a wise woman and also, unselfish. AND you are a good mom. I wanted to say ONLY this but then I got t o the end of your vlog and heard you say something else that caught me by surprise. My story from yesterday: I was talking to one of my daughters who is 30 years old now. I have been slipping on my lines since our youngest got married a few weeks ago…kind of an after effect of all the craziness , and I was talking to her about how this and that has been going awry in my life etc. and she stopped me and said, “Mom, when your eating is good you are fine. It was what I heard you say on the blog! I couldn’t believe my ears. After she said that, I jumped back onto the lines and have been fine. Yes, all of this is a balancing act. Have fun on your date and thank-you for all the time you give. Arden

2. Lois G

Susan, Susan, I wish I could cradle you in my arms! Yes, life often gives us impossible situations. You choose the right one with your daughter. And yes, it is a continual balancing act. As long as you are open and responsive and as often as you move from love, all will be well. You are doing an incredible job. Good bless you!

3. Loryn Ashley

The courage it took for you to share such raw emotion is exemplary. I’m in awe of your humanity and your ability to touch people with humility and grace. Your children are blessed to have a mother who stops to llisten and “course correct” along the way. I am so happy for your success not only with Bright Line Eating and the scores of people who are succeeding because you share your heart and soul belief system, but also your success as a human being, a mother, wife, daughter, friend and mentor. I wish you every blessing you have given to me and all the others like me. You are my hero. I am eternally grateful for you.

1. Dawn Hanley

Agreed – such a beautiful and vulnerable share. Living a big life with addiction/ self–care challenges is not simple or easy, but luckily it can be grace-full as you mentioned. Although our daughter is in college (so less time in terms of daily care), my parents are under my care, and my dad is now living with us at home. There’s so much to do for both my parents on a health and well-being level, not to mention financially, medically, etc. I have often felt overwhelmed and unable to manage my role as a caretaker and my very fulfilling career, loving marriage, and relationships with other family and friends. Right now this abundance of blessings seems to take so much energy and time at a point in my life where I feel less energized (menopause). In the past, I’ve sacrificed my self-care in pursuit of managing it all. Then eventually, everyone and everything else I care about is impacted. Your explanation of The Priority was fascinating — I’ve never heard it put that way. I teach time and priority management at work, and we always talk about having multiple priorities and rank ordering them. So I’m grateful to have another way of looking at that word. I appreciate you so authentically sharing your journey and the lessons you’re learning. As you say, it doesn’t provide “an ultimate answer” but it helps to feel connected, less alone, and to consider different approaches to realigning my life when it feels off course. Thanks for walking the path with us.

4. Jen Emrich

Hugs! Thanks for sharing this Susan. ❤️

5. Trina

Note to self: When Susan says it’s going to be an emotional one, don’t watch while at your desk at work.

1. Kima

You´re right! LOL 😀

2. Debbie Winkler

Hahaha! True!

6. Catriona

Susan. As a mother and executive who travelled extensively and worked long hours and weekends, you’re very lucky that your daughter spoke up. My son, who’s in his forties now, has a daughter of his own, recently during a heated discussion with my husband, said that he’ll never work the hours that we did. The downside is that he is not driven in his career in any way, and as parents we worry about his financial future, but he says family is first, to be with his family as much as possible, even to potentially not caring about work at all.
    I wish he had talked to us about his feelings when he was younger. Even though my husband hours weren’t quite as crazy as mine, he spent lots of time with our son, going to sporting events with him etc., I still feel guilty that perhaps my lack of being there drove him to the opposite values of family over their financial security. You’re vlogs as always are very insightful.

7. Liza

I was weeping all the way through. I can’t wait to be at your daughters restairant someday. I am sure , she and the food will be terrific.
    Enjoy your day together ❤️❤️❤️

8. Clare

Hey Susan, I listened to your video and I am praying for ya. I know you are CEO for Bright Line eating. Children of course want to spend time with their mom. I worked as an infant toddler teacher and it was so frustrating that some of these toddlers couldn’t spend time with their moms while they were at work. And I know that some of these children would thrive being with mom while they work. Have you ever thought about having your child be with you while you work. She might like it. I know that not all the time that you could have her by her side. But I think you should try it. I think children that are with their moms while they work learn immensely. Hope my suggestion helps. Be well. Love Clare

1. carol perfect

That would be nice if she could once in a while….each child on their own. I was a single mom working 3_4 jobs for several years and rented my upstairs out to keep us going. I was lucky enough for my son to get on/off the school bus at my job for some time and it was great. I was lucky to have great bosses and understanding job administrators who allowed all employees this luxury. I could take off when needed to do stuff with him and for him. So good luck, Susan, in ensuring your priority is the right one. You are an amazing person and you are lucky to have a great support system in your husband and and folks. Life is too short so enjoy your children while they are growing up.

9. Kendra Bleth

Yay mom! You chose well! I was emotional watching your vlog as I can relate to your struggle very well. I don’t think we can ever go wrong when we choose to spend quality time with a loved one, and I don’t think we have to lose our Bright Lines to do that. I am new to Bright Line Eating, but I feel that it is the answer that I have spent a lifelong journey looking for. I believe it is going to change my life and allow me to be a better wife, mother and friend to those I love, as well as allowing me to finally blossom into the person I have not yet felt free to be. Hugs to you and your family. Thank you for being so real and sharing your journey with us. ❤

10. Clare

I wrote a message earlier but I don’t see it. Basically, it said I think your daughter might love to be with you while you work. I think children that have this opportunity also learn a lot too about life. I hope it helps. Be well

1. Jillian

Yes it’s there and I remember because it was exactly what I was going to say! My son is 6 and struggles with how much my husband and I work as we own a company together. Of course I don’t know if any of this applies in Susan’s case but what has worked for me is to bring him to work with me when I physically go to the office or involve him in the work I’m doing when I work from home. I also explain to him that NuSpecies is our family business and that it’s his too if he wants to be part of it as he gets older so he should learn as often as he feels like participating. He gets excited does a task or two with me and then usually gets bored and is happy to leave me to my work lol. But at the same time, who knows if he’s having feelings that I’m not aware of or that he’s not fully aware of yet. In that case I do keep my eye out for signals. For example when it gets past 6 or 7 and he’s asked me a couple times to join him with whatever he’s doing and he says something about my “stupid laptop”, I immediately close it and stop working until he goes to bed.

11. Paola

I don’t think you would do your daughters a favour if you stopped piloting this plane. You are clearly all in what you do, from head to toes, no matter what it is. If it were not BLE, then it would be something else. You have conquered more than one addition in your past; BLE is a commitment that maybe takes a really big chunk of you like an addition would, depriving others of your time, but it also keeps you sane and centred. Your daughters are young, but they will surely very soon understand better the meaning and importance of what you do. They will be so proud of you and, like you, unstoppable. ❤

12. Lorca

You are a precious jewel Susan. Much Love

13. Cathy Baker

I appreciate you and your honesty.

It has been extremely difficult juggling responsibilities over the years. I wish I had been better at it. I wish I had been able to balance things better. It was my job and passion to be a stay at home, full-time mother. However, it would have been beneficial to have cut out some time for my health.

My daughter will be heading to college next year. Knowing that I wasn’t any good at juggling, I had to focus on one thing at a time. I don’t regret making my children my priority. While my children are making lives for themselves, I will then adjust course.

Again, thank you for being you!

14. Sharon

Thank you for sharing this important concern! Every working mother faces this issue at some time. I feel the most important thing to do is communicate your feelings with your children. It sounds like you and your daughters already are able to do this. Glad you planned a special time together and hope you have an awesome nine hours! Hang in there! 🙂

15. Jane Thiegs

Susan,
    Thank you for being authentic about real mother issues. I could so relate, as my son (now in his late 30’s) was 9 when he said something similar to me. I’ll never forget it. I’d chosen to be a mom at home, so I could avoid this dilemma. Instead, I became a full-time plus overtime volunteer, which fed my own unrealized needs and false ego. My little son got to the heart of the matter in the only way a child can – direct from his own heart from his uncertainty of his mother’s love.

You handled it far better than I did – It wasn’t until he was an adult that I understood my own needs – and his – enough to talk to him about it. All any of us want is to be loved and to love. If only real life were that simple! Thank you for a beautiful sharing that helped to heal my own heart. And the best to you and your family as you continue to set your priority, and to re-assess as you go. That’s my important take-away from your VLOG.
    I believe with you that the important thing is to be aware, and to know that whatever balance is right for each of us is also what is right for the world. Sending you love and gratitude…

16. Stefi

The moment you cried while you recounted so did I. Love to your Alexis & your other daughters , you & your entire family!💌

17. K Hani

Once again, thank you SO MUCH for your authenticity and unabashed willingness to share. By doing so, you are a light for those of us that need to be reassured and guided.
    Thank you for being you!

18. Richard

Unsubscribe, please. Tnx!

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

There’s an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email. 🙂

19. Jenny

Really fabulous. From one mom to another, I hear you. It is not easy. ❤️❤️❤️

20. Ingrid Kepler-May

what a touching story, Susan. Wish I had read it many years ago when I myself was a mother to a young daughter who needed me more than I knew (or wanted to know). I had to work to make a living (her father had died very young) and only started college around the time she started first grade. Now I realize that for lack of a mother (or father) she buried herself in books – like I had to do, and became later on a dedicated, overachieving English professor. Once she told me how she had missed a present mother which nearly broke my heart. It was too late.
    So great what you did by listening to your daughter and making time for her while she is young. Wish I had.
    Congratulations!

21. Shawna Murph

What an inspiration you are Susan. Thank you for sharing your heart warming experience.
    I once saw a performer at a circus that was spinning many plates on a long stick all at the same time. One by one, each plate would begin to wobble and threaten to fall and break. The performers attention immediately turned to that one plate
    and got it spinning in time to keep it from falling. Just then, another plate would get wobbly, and so forth. I feel that family life,
    relationships, work, commitments and priorities are often like those spinning plates. We do our best to keep them all spinning , but the fact is, each will need some more attention than at another. The sign of a balanced person is one that recognized the wobbly plate, focuses on that one plate, and then focuses on the next as needed.

I am praying for you and your sweet family. You’ve got this!

22. Thea Dueck

Juggling work and kids is very emotional for us all. Good for you for bringing your issues to the fore.. and I think that priorities shift with time. As we gain more power over our different pieces, priority changes.. along with our growth. Your daughter was obviously raised in a way that she could ask, and that’s the most important thing. She asked, you responded, and you showed her that you’re open to change. All good.

23. Caroline

yes, very courageous, Susan and HOW I can relate to it. I once wrote down when very job-stressed that my young daughter was driving me mad, and was shocked to find it later but kept it to remind me, not exactly of just how bad and wicked I could be (though there was an element of that), but more of the total importance of my children which didn’t and doesn’t ever go away. Many thanks indeed for your honesty and strength

24. L. Phillips

Wow, I am not much of a commenter but I was so moved I feel I should say so. I am a full time mom and when my son was that age I was a single mom, working full time, and finishing up a PhD on nights and weekends and it was so hard to prioritize. And it is so hard for all moms not to go over “that line”. What a terrible, beautiful epiphany moment even a full week later. Thanks for sharing this.

25. Nancy

Your honesty is so valuable

26. Kay

So great and so true! My daughter is 28 and I still struggle with worries that I placed her second too often on my path as a single parent to give her the “things” that I wanted her to have so she would not feel that she had less than the 2 parent income families of her friends but she never doubted my love for her and I think that is the greatest gift you can give your children. You are clearly doing that very well. My daughter is now a strong woman herself that can stand up for herself and tells me what a good role model I was to her. Your daughters will feel the same way, I am sure.

27. Charleen Morency

Thank you for sharing such an intimate piece of your life! You are so right!

28. Heather

Thanks Susan

29. Ann Sovak

I needed to hear this today! I am on day 6 and lost 6 pounds so far. I am a single mom of a 10 year old boy who has ADHD. He goes to an academy 45 min away from our home. I am a dance school owner who is out most evenings, and a new home owner. I can relate to you in so many ways and I am taking this bright line eating day by day but I feel that this is the right program for me:). Thank you❤️

30. Terza

Remember, God should be your first priority. Put Him first, then your Bright Lines and family then everything will fall into place. You have been an inspiration.

31. Reba Thompson

Oh My! I felt so for you during this Vlog. My babies are 43 and 45 and now that I look back I certainly didn’t put them first all the time. I had degrees to master, meetings to attend BUT Susan, they knew they were loved. So happy to report our daughter is a FNP and son is corporate…large tractor company. Listening to your emotional presentation brought back so many memories . Do I wish I had spent more time with them? Yes. Were they harmed? Probably not. They still love their momma!! Your honesty, your raw emotions certainly captures our hearts. Rethinking My priority right now! God Bless you!

32. mjd

Great post. A lot of important words and genuine emotions. My biggest learnings were in the breaths.

33. Julia

What an overwhelming feeling of uncertainty that must have been. I can imagine one of my kids saying the exact same thing in the same way as yours. How sad but sweet. She clearly adores you and feels safe asking you for more time. She’s bright enough to understand how important your work is to you because she’s watching you all the way. She’s going to “turn out” fine! Great post by the way…it can’t always be about the food …there’s more to the bright lines than that.

34. Diane Roderick

I don’t know who said this but I copied it and put it where i can see it everyday

“The most important thing is keeping the most important thing, the most important thing.

Namaste

35. Mariah Perkins

100% True and very very Sweet. Very well said and presented. Great.
    Lucky lucky Alexis!

36. Shobhana

Susan, you’re going to spend 8 hours with your daughter on a specified day. What happens after that? You could develop a long-term strategy to drop your work at will daily, when it’s time to give your husband and kids your attention. Repeat your mantram!

37. Anne Bathurst Click

Well, fine job getting out your feelings so articulately, baring your soul, and being vulnerable before the camera. Wow. Now, that said, I raised five and my emotions were all over the place watching your video. My first thought was how awesome it was that your daughter was able to be so honest with you, and you so open to what she had to say. I think our first “duty” in successful parenting is to LISTEN and honestly ATTEND to our children. That takes a lot of CONSCIOUSNESS. You obviously are a hugely successful mom. Yes, it’s a juggling act to work and be a parent. Just parenting alone makes us second guess ourselves. And know that no matter what, I found that guilt and parenting are synonymous. So what’s the answer? Like BLE, ONE DAY AT A TIME. Keep piloting being careful to maintain your sights on the control panel for BALANCE. Some days, you’ll do great, and some days you’ll fall short. Welcome to being human. Our kids need to see that, too.

38. Sharon Van Doran

Hugs to you Susan. I find myself listening to you at the exact moment that I need to hear your message/words or experience. As a working mom of 2 daughters, and like most mom’s we find ourselves struggling to keep a balance in our daily lives. You definitely made the right choice Susan, and will make course corrections as needed on this beautiful journey called life.
    Thanks for sharing and for your honesty. 💕 Much Love

39. Gina Heese

This VLOG was so profound, deep and new concerning the different topics you have vlogged about!
    It was SUCH a great , thought-provoking message to help us better examine our own lives.
    This is really going to help me as i truly need to make BLE number one as its slipped a bit to number 1.5!😳.

Thank you so much for sharing your life experiences with us Susan. It means more than you know in my own journey and its what makes this plan so much more rich than any others I know of

40. Jo Whipp

Thank you for your openness and honesty. Clarity will follow. What a good brave to be willing to be vulnerable. Somewhere she learned she could be honest with you and that she could trust her feelings with you. I am sure she has held back because she believes in you. As for the part about how it has to be recovery, family, work. Wow! I never thought about it that way. My recovery is from abuse. I feel overwhelmed a lot and I fight worrying about money as an older woman with no retirement. I will be less hard on myself. Thank you. BLE has given me a better sense of self and my health is better too. Thank you. Bless you and yours.

41. Susan in California

I learned 35 years ago that you cannot do it all and that if you try to, without a full house staff, you will shortchange someone. Usually your kids. Women were sold a bill of goods when we were told we could have it all – all at once, that is. Life has seasons.

You have the desire to nurture everyone, to ‘be there’ for everyone and while that is not an addiction (is it?) it puts you in a pretty pickle. When I was in that position, certain things came clear to me that you are now seeing. In retrospect, I still feel that if your children’s lives fail, yours has, in a measure, failed as well, especially if their failure to thrive is due to your absence. It is not ‘quality’ time: it is just plain time. They want you. They need you. They deserve you. Fortunately you have a stellar staff to take the load! Thank you for sharing. I like to think that growing old gracefully is a matter of minimizing one’s regrets. Follow your heart.

42. Kathy

Wow! This was the BEST message ever! For the first time in my life, I’m not going to judge myself for not getting food, family, and career balanced! And once the judgment ceases, I’ll be able to pilot my plane. Thank you, Susan, from the bottom of this working mom’s heart!

1. Dawn Hanley

Agree!! 🙂

43. Terri Covey

Sending you love, Susan. Have a perfectly wonderful mommy-daughter date with Alexis. What a very special memory-maker day that will be for both of you! <3 <3 <3

44. suzanne Van Gombos

Susan – this was a beautiful heart wrenching Vlog this week. I get it and I get the extreme price you and your family have agreed to pay for others. It is not in vain. Without you and your program my life would be a continuous spiral so to say BLE is not a big deal is not true. You, your team and members have made the difference in my life!
    Thank you and especially your children, and husband and mother/stepfather for helping Susan help us get reconnect. You are a God given LIFELINE! Thank you and God Bless you ll. Amen

45. Lawrence Mills

Hi Susan. Kids has a very subtle way of bringing your emotions to the forefront and letting you know what and how they are feeling!
    The guilty feeling that comes when you feel that you have let anyone down is the built in compassion that is within us that at times feels that it is hidden somewhere deep in our heart and is not utilised all of the time. When it is realised compassion is love, love that needs to be shown and received without any forced effort.

46. Susan C.

That really resonated with me. i also feel like my brain is a special needs child. Thanks for putting some of my deepest thoughts in to words.

47. Emily in MT

Thanks for the heartfelt and well-articulated life lesson. BLE has become one of my foundation habits, upon which the rest of my life is constructed. With food stability, everything else flows more easily. Your kids are lucky to have you for a mom.

48. Sylvia

Wow and wow , this one was very emotional . Children is best thing in our life. They help us to learn so much about ourselves, l think that Alexis was in so secure to even tell you about it. Susan you are amazing and so honest . This is showing us , thing happen in life that we are not always in control , so in the end it how we react in adversity . You did great. Thank you for sharing .. Xox.Sylvia

49. Lorna

Susan,
    Thank you for sharing the fear of not being “enough” for you, your children or BLE. Your description of The Priority was what most parents experience at one time or many in their lives. I would like you to draw on your airplane example – remember, parents must put on their oxygen masks before the children, – and the pilot puts his on before the parents, so he/she can make those corrections and keep the plane in the air. You, dear Susan, are ENOUGH and there is also enough of you to go around. I like that you take good, deep breaths and let them out with a whoosh – it is a key factor in staying balanced. Have a glorious time with magic moments with your daughter – and remember to take selfies – it will matter later in life!

50. Beverly Maynard

Gosh lady…..you rock! ❤❤ thanks!

51. Katie Alley

Susan, that was a beautifully profound reflection of the contrasting tensions between career and parenthood. I think the one on one time will be very reassuring for Alexis. It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job keeping all the balls in the air – and I often say, “Well, that’ll give some something to talk about in therapy one day.”

52. LuAnne Coakley

You know, each one of your videos ends with you saying, ” I love you.” Tonight I felt that love (once again) and your heartbreak. I want you to know how much it means to me to have you in my life and for you to share your life as you do. Thank you for being there for me, verbalizing so many of my struggles that I am too afraid to share with others. So now it is my turn to say to you, I love you.

53. Joleen Haffenreffer

Susan, I admire you for all that you do and all that you are to your family and all of us in BLE! How wonderful it is that your daughter is secure enough to be open and honest with you. She has obviously learned that from you!!! I love how you addressed her concerns! We all just want to be heard and loved!!! You were there for her!!! Lucky her lucky you!!! Thank you from me!

54. Denise Plank

Well done, Mama. I commend you for listening to your child and taking action, rather than dismissing her as a “child”. Kudos for having that discussion with her–and capturing the teaching moment. I realize you are a psychologist, but there’s still some real Mommy-ing going on here and, even though you may not feel like it, I believe you handled it well. Have a wonderful Mommy-Daughter Day! Also, thank you for the challenge of your message. Haven’t quite processed through enough to be able to verbalize The Priority for me yet…….but I’m working on it!

55. Akita Brooks

Susan! I have to say that I absolutely love you! Your transparency and vulnerability just lets me, and I’m sure others, know that they are not alone. Thank you for having the courage to share your journey with us. It gives me the cpurage to do the same.

56. Nancy

You are so smart! God is working this out. Saying a prayer for you!

57. Doris

The kids are grown now. I wish I had you there when I needed to hear this.
    Somehow I managed and they seem to be ok. They love me or let me say that I feel l
    loved.
    Thanks for your heartfelt share.

58. Loidee Santos

Oh, Susan. You brought me to tears with this one.

You are a leader. Leadership makes priority hard.

Your kindness, big heart, and self-awareness will always steer you towards right. Don’t sweat what Alexis said so much — kids are truthful, yes, but in the moment, not for ‘eternity’ or ‘posterity’. For example, she would have expressed herself totally differently if she’d broken her arm the day after your mum-daughter day.

When she is an adult, she will have memories of the totality of your life together, not just this hectic business-building phase of your life.

And so, as you are always telling me (ok, not just me but it feels like you’re talking to me and only me): FORGIVE YOURSELF.

59. JoAnn Green

Susan, Thank you for sharing your heart and being so willing to be vulnerable. That’s one of the things that I love about your spirit. Definitely had the tears flowing… 😢 As usual, your vlog was amazing and I appreciate your message. Love you back, you are amazing!

60. Sandra Comstock

Awww… I have often wondered how many balls you
    would juggle before one hit the floor and you would need to re-evaluate your pace… you are an amazing woman and have such stamina with an impressive ability to share your experiences in such a relatable and human way… thank you!

61. Caroline

Seems to me Susan that you have all your ducks in order! There are so many factors in raising a family and building a business,but clearly your heart told you what was most important and your heart did not lie….,. I believe it’s a mothers heart, in fact her genius to bring life to every aspect of others most dearly involved in her life giving journey…you’re doing it!! Circumstances and events dictate moves and challenges that must be met at the time…in fact that’s how we wrinkle😊 Yep that airline stewardess said it best….put the oxygen mask on yourself first, then you can save the others.
    I always ponder this….at the end of the day/life what’s the most important to me? For me, Relationships. It’s Never been easy either. It’s not what happens in life but how we handle what happens, that makes for integrity! God Bless you and your precious family❤️🇨🇦

62. Chana Gorenstein

Susan, I get you 100%. Its wild the synchronicity going on… I had this exact same challenge this week and the emotions etc… My daughter was in a play and afterwards she came up to me crying saying, ” Mommy, why were you on the phone when I was on stage,” i.e., “why weren’t you there for me, why didn’t you care.” I also took that as a bomb that rocked my world, I also cried about it, talked with others etc. What she didn’t know and I cant tell her is that it was too hard for me to watch her on stage, as the biggest one there, knowing the food battles she is going through and trying not to pass anything on to her in that battle… I was a fat kid and I know what it feels like to be a fat kid on stage… it was just too hard… Susan, you rock period. I understand all too well that juggling act, I have 5 kids, work, have to nurture my “special needs brain” (I am a 15 on the scale :)… and my husband and I know that when my food is in place, than I am in place “to be”…and also to be the mom that they need. They give over here in parenting classes an analogy for the parenting thing… Imagine you are on a plane with your children and it is going off course. You have to put on masks. Which mask do you put on first? Yours or your child’s? They instruct you to put yours on first and then assist the child. Why? If you are going to pass out in the process of putting on the mask, what good are you to the kid? The point, when you are nourished, when your bright lines are in place then you can nourish… Yes, it all starts with manning the plane.
    You have no idea how many lives you are saving Susan. You saved mine (and therefore my husbands, and my kids and all the people I affect) and I am all the way over here in Israel. I am sorry you are going through this struggle, thank Gd, your daughter expressed herself now…That actually means you are doing something right for her to be so verbal about her emotions… that encounter was actually a gift, your lucky. I also planned a date with my daughter b/c that is what she needs as well, attention from mommy (shes 12). Good luck Susan, your a wise woman… Thank you for Bright Lines, thank you for being so real. You rock 🙂

63. Jacqie Shartier

Susan, thank you so much for opening your heart and emotions to us on your Vlog! You are the most authentic recovering person I know and have worked with addicts for 30 years! I love how strong your daughter is – to be able to ask for your time. I hope and pray you can make weekly date times with all your children and husband. You are not alone, we are sharing this journey with you and I am holding you in light and prayer. Thank you for your vulnerability. You are such an inspiration to me.
    God Loves YOU
    and So Do I!

64. Tedra Cornelia

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us! I cannot even begin to describe how much I needed to hear this tonight!

65. Michele

You’re such an inspiration –even beyond the food plan!.
    Thanks for sharing and reminding us that life has surprises and we can get back on track!

66. Almas Taufiq

That was awesome. Thanks deeply for sharing such a poignant and reflective moment in your left. I’ve raised 3 beautiful children, who are now married and living empowered lives, as a full time working mom. I can relate so much to your experience as there were so many moments when I felt like I was headed for a collision course with life and had to really navigate to save myself and my childen from certain disaster. God bless you and help you on your journey just as you’re helping so many of us live better.

67. Leslie Roberts

I have been a working mother, and I have been a woman who stopped working to raise my two children. At the time I didn’t think I was ending my career, I thought I was taking a hiatus, but it did end up being the end. My husband claims I worked as hard at my volunteer work during their school years (ouch) but, I did make my children my priority. As I wrote in an article, you only get one shot at raising your children, there are no do-overs and the window is small to train their hearts before the world starts vying for them. So, in that vein I have no regrets. Are there days when I wonder, “what if?” sure, But, that is Sabby talking. Your choice to “course correct” for the sake of your children only makes me appreciate and admire you more. You are choosing the higher good. Delegation is hard because it is a sacrifice to give up control. I will submit this is one sacrifice you can make because it sounds like you have surrounded yourself with employee friends who have your back and your heart for Bright Line Eating and can trust them to take on more and more responsibility as your family needs increase. You will find as your children grow older they require less physical energy and a lot more emotional energy. The emotional energy is what takes the course correcting when you have a lot going on. If anyone can make it work, you can. I believe when we pray, Jesus answers and shows us the way. Does that mean it will be easy? No. His answers often require sacrifice. But, it does bring peace and a peaceful Mommy is the best Mommy of all! One more thing – I always told my kids that we were a family and that meant our work and volunteer work were ministries of our family. When my husband or I worked or helped others, they were, too. Let your kids know thanks to them sharing their Mom, millions of other kids have happier parents and that is something they can be proud of. Some day when they are 24 and 20 like mine are, and amazing human beings doing wonderful things for the world, you will be so glad about the sacrifices you made. God Bless!

68. Elizabeth Ellis

I think it’s going to take me a week to integrate the fullness of all that you shared here. I get everything you shared right between the eyes and feel it all so deeply and am not only with you, and completely touched moved and inspired by who you are and the depth and honesty of your sharing your journey, but it is over and over again as though you were speaking my life. If you happened to pray that if you shared from your heart what needed to happen would happen, I just want to tell you…it did. I love you. I can’t fully express my gratitude and love for you, this program and our community. Have an amazing Friday with Alexis. I’m going to be making some plans of my own with my boys. I also like the idea of taking some breaks from being the pilot from time to time and letting others steer the plane. Bumps right up against my winning formula and is so vital. Much love xo

69. Mike

Thank you, Susan. This vlog was good timing. It enabled me to realize and clarify a direction in one part of my life that I was, till now, clueless of. I value difference and you make a big one. All my best and warmest wishes!

70. Pat Boertee

Well spoken Susan! Here i was listening to your vlog and it got me very emotional too. Being a working mom brings up guilt issues – I know from experience. I once was the owner of a Bagel Shop and worked my butt off making very long hours and hardly seeing my teenage kids. I decided after 3 and half years that enough was enough, sold the shop and took the family on a much needed camper vacation through west Canada so we could re-connect with them! This vacation was wonderful and years later is always reffered to as their favorite. Probably because I was there for them the whole 4 weeks. After that vacation I made it a priority to not work more than 4 days a week and that has worked well for me. Susan, you have this great team to help you with all business aspects. How lucky are you! Enjoy your work and your family! Xx

71. Veronika Ambertson

I’ve been reading and following “The One Thing”, which speaks directly to this. And my conclusion was the same – my “one thing” is BLE, because it’s “the one thing that will make everything else easier or unnecessary”. Thanks for sharing so candidly about the realities of mommyhood and life.

72. sonia

Hi Susan, I was crying with you, you are such an inspiration. Just know that your kids are fine, their dad sounds like he is full time at home and your mum is around too. I am a single parent of 3, work full time and am often on call so I understand.
    I hope your date with Alexis is great.
    I love that you rely on your team .
    You know that you don’t have to do everything, good on you….
    s

73. Denise Jones

Susan you are so real and I truly appreciate the work that you have done for yourself and for others. Thank you for giving me the information I needed to be healthier. In this snapshot of your life, you show us how we might live, have a career, and be there for our families with courage, intelligence, and compassion.

74. Susan

Thank you, Susan, for your insightful and heartfelt message. I raised 3 boys as a single mom with a demanding job and little help from my former husband. My oldest boy has issues, the most important of which is making himself his priority, period. That is very hard on his children, as now his former wife has to work many hours with 3 jobs to support the two beautiful children. Fortunately, they live close enough to us (I have remarried and we have retired) that we have become like parents to them and I feel like I have been given a “second chance” to do this right, to be there for them, and for them to know it. My husband loves those children as if they were his biological children and will do anything for them. There is no doubt in my mind that the children miss their parents’ presence but we try to give them the stability and role models that my own children missed out on. Of course I still feel guilty about my own children but there is nothing I can do about that now., except hope that others will take our stories to heart. Thank you for this vlog and for Bright Line Eating!

75. Tamara Kenner

Love to you Susan & your family. You are so special. Thank you for being you.

76. Andrea

Hugs. Im new to ble and struggling due to care of an elderly father increasing exponentially in the last couple of weeks, just as im starting boot camp 😝 but I decided last night that no s/f had to be my priority so I have the energy I need to care for him.

77. Dawn Hardie

That’s the second time you have had my in tears Susan! The first time was when I started reading your book, it was such a relief to finally hear from someone who had been through what I was going through in relation to my eating habits and sugar addiction. I think a lot of working mothers (myself included) and fathers will relate to what you have shared in this weeks VLOG so thank you for sharing something so personal, for making me cry and for reminding me to get back to those strict bright lines, mine have been a little wonky again recently!

78. Ginger

Thanks so much Susan. Your struggles are felt and you are supported. Out of the mouths of babes comes clarity! Hope your date goes well with Alexis! This vlog was particularly meaningful! Thanks again.

79. Betsy Meynardie

Thank you for this vlog and for sharing so openly what you experience. I’m not a mother, but there is still so much about thinking about a priority and how we take care of ourselves, our partners, our colleagues, and more… that resonate with me. thank you for all you are and do.

80. Susan

Thanks for your homesty and vulnerabilty. A true dilemna., great analogy with the plane. I have found as a person with a highly addictive personality that the buzz or high that I get from work production especially on things I’m passionate about is addictive and I have to be aware that part of my driveness is a result of that addictive response amd adjust accordingly

81. Donna

Thanks for sharing! I really value your thoughts on setting priorities and specifically with the bright lines. I find that when I have my eating in order, everything DOES seem to fall into place. Thanks for your vulnerability! We’re all in this together!!

82. Cathey trollope

We certainly learn so much from our children and grandchildren. The journey never stops. So glad your daughter spoke up as it was a little bit of a wake up call that some people never get. You are amazing and learning to designate is hard but very rewarding also. Hope you had a great birthday. Love to your family and team

83. Suzi from Arizona

If you stop and really analyzed it, isn’t your job with BLE really part of your recovery program? Doesn’t all that traveling and speaking and leading your people really reinforce the Bright Lines in your own program? Doesn’t the weekly vblog really help you dig down and remind you what path you are following and how to stay on the right path? …..

Someone commented above that life is eventful, yet did you notice that she didn’t break her arm when you were 4000 miles away in San Diego? That it happened when you were on your way to see her anyway? Things happen but if you look back, they could have been worse. So be thankful that you were just across town and not across the country or around the world. The universe is smiling on you and all you have to do is notice and accept it and receive the blessings, however small. xoxo

84. Carllie

This couldn’t have been more on time than right now to hear this. Thank you💕

85. Kate

After watching today’s blog on ‘the priority’, it seemed to me crystal clear that one’s top priority becomes clear in the moment. At the moment of Susan’s daughter’s question there was no question where her biggest priority lay. At another moment, when her daughter might need her less, then the priority would be a different one. I think globally it’s impossible to decide on what is one’s priority ‘for life’, because life changes all the time and we have to go with the flow. My view is that Susan felt happier after that moment had passed in taking a decision as to what her top ‘life’ priority should be, however if a similar situation should arise with any family member I think we know that it would switch in an instant.
    I also have 3 daughters, and my twins are in Australia (I’m in France) and they recently had ALL of their possessions stolen. Even from the other side of the world my own life stopped, every cell of my body went into ‘fight or flight’ mode and I poured all my energy into supporting them in any way I could, so I completely understand. There just wasn’t a choice.
    I just wanted to put my thoughts out there for maybe debate or discussion. It was a really interesting (and moving) blog, thank you Susan.
    Love xxx

86. Linda

oh my word, sobbing on this end! As a mom who went back to work at 6 weeks after each baby , this hit hard. I completed my doctorate, and a pretty hefty research career. BUT, I know that I was aware of balance and when things tipped, and my three adult children watched this and watched me grow, while they grew. I think they also had security their parents would be there and they still do have that security. It is hard. The fact that you reflected and are ‘checking’ is the banner of “it is okay”. It is so healthy to do these checks and balances. It is the people who DONT question are the ones that probably are needing to question.

87. Jenny

You have an extraordinary ability to reach out and touch those watching you very deeply. Today as I heard you speak, even though I don’t have children, I found myself so upset at your daughter’s question. I felt your pain and fear so intensely and marvelled at your courage in sharing this very personal episode from your life. I am very grateful for your honesty, as someone else said earlier, it is so good to know that others find these potentially life changing events hard to deal with. There are many gurus for want of a better word. who either don’t talk about these things or somehow find the perfect easy answer, which leaves the rest of us feeling inadequate. When I listen to you Susan, I feel I am listening to a real person with the sort of physical and emotional difficulties that I have battled with for the majority of my 64 years. Every time I tune in, I hear yet another important insight which makes me really think hard about my life. and I believe that I learn something valuable for my journey. Thank you!

88. Tina

Dear Susan , it was funny I had exactly one of those bad days with my kids feeling it Is too much I a doing a lousy job etc etc. and i am not even doing the Program because I don’t think I can have that discipline.. what an eye opener for me. Hearing you speak about prioritizing.. and the order – health – family- job .. and how important it is to have your life in order wow I think a great aha moment for me .. thank you thank your thank you !! Plus I always think people like you who made it they know what they are doing … but it feels very good too know that it’s a journey for you too .. I wish you the very best !!! Big hugs. And a big hello to your kids 😘

89. Theresa

Dear Susan,
    I am so grateful for you and BLE. The program is healing my mind and opening up more time for family and career. With the food piece intact, it doesn’t matter what else is happening, I know that, at least, I’m taking care of my self!

90. Kim

Thank you for being so open with the priority struggle. Your example of the pilot and our need to course correct hit the nail on the head for me. I allow food to guide my days and I feel as if I can’t be productive with my life because of it. Time for a major course correction!!

91. eleanor

THANK YOU!!! So true and so well presented.

92. MJ van den Hoven

OMG! Priorty-balance in optima forma!

93. Jolynn

Wow woman!! I am really proud of you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us all. Its not only about the food and bright lines(I am still on the runway!!) its about being human and living life one day at a time step by step. I totally can relate to these thoughts. You are doing a fabulous job with your children, your mate, your family and your job. Have no doubt about your priority. Its clear as a bell. Its about the choices we make and the image we have of ourselves in our minds and the example we are for ourselves as well as our nearest and dearest. Be kind to yourself. You are doing a great job.

Thank you again. I hope you have a great day with your daughter. She is amazing. Kids teach us the lessons we have to learn along the way.

Love you right back.

Best regards,
    Jolynn

94. Debbie Winkler

Oh my gosh, Susan, I love you so much. As a high school teacher who often works evenings and weekends, I can relate to your mom guilt. When you have a moment like the one you shared here, I want you to remember that you are a phenomenal mother and that you have saved lives by sharing BLE. I don’t know how to thank you for the sacrifices you’ve made in order to share this program. Your ability to explain the science in lay terms really helped me buy into the program, but it is your openness and honesty with your struggles past and present that have kept me going month after month. Thank you for sharing.

95. Carol Ellis

Thank you Susan. You show such courage and lead the way for us all.

96. Penny Lloyd

This is so sweet, Susan. I watched with tears streaming down my face, recalling my own memories of feeling that I needed to be more present for my children when I worked outside the home full-time++ (++ being all the other things – and there are many – that pull you away from your family that are not work related). My sons are now 32 and 35 years old. They’re both in successful careers and are happily married each with two [obviously] perfect children. About 10 years ago, we decided to meet up in one city (we live three hours apart). In the car on the way, my husband and I reflected back on our lives and the things we would do differently if we had the opportunity to do it all over again. We had done this several times before and each time there was a theme: I always wish I had stayed thin (5’10”, 129 lbs when married) and my husband always wondered if we should have made sacrifices so I could have been a stay-at-home mom. Well, we told our sons about this conversation that weekend and I’ll never forget their response: “We were so proud of you working. We were so proud that you were our mom.” I’ve never felt so validated and reassured. I always loved my career choices, and I think my children understood that I was leaving something I loved to support the family and do something that fulfilled me. Evidently, Alexis is seeing this in you, too, as she is crafting her own career that will sustain and fulfill her rooted firmly in the confidence and love you have given her. What a great example you are to your sweet daughter.

97. Peggy

Susan, I want to send you a big hug!!! I am retired. 4 kids and 8 grandkids….none of them live close by. My husband still works. My hat is off to all of you who have little ones at home, work full time outside the home and are doing BLE! You are my heroes! I can’t imagine how I would cope or deal with all of it now! Thank you for this vlog!

98. Tami

The only way I can make it all work, get rid of all the guilt and feel good about my life and the journey is to give up control and let God be the pilot. Suddenly everything falls into place and even when life is crazy and bumpy, I am at peace and react way differently than when I try to control everything.

99. Nancy

Oh my, just saw this. What a gift. I’ve appreciated so many VLOGs and of course the essence of our BLE program. This message cut through all the details. And, validates what I have come to: our priority is to be conscious. And then to do “the next right thing” to respond to the Truth of what is before us, be it feelings, circumstances etc. I like the reminder that to be “Sober”, as in on track with our eating or whatever, it allows us to be conscious, to have more bandwidth to be awake to the rest of our journey. Thank you Susan and your wonderful team that supports you and us.

100. Deborah

Sometimes I feel like it’s all too much too! I have a daughter, a husband, a dog and full time job and my BLE journey so far has been a struggle. Thank you for confirming what I was feeling and for showing us that we are all human.

101. Adriana

Thank you Susan for such an honest account, for being so open and human! I believe we all resonate with the points you discuss in your blog and we share the same dilemmas. I like your idea of adjusting the journey as we go – that sounds reasonable and feasible. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a valuable reflection!

102. Gwenda Eliason

My priority is and always has been my motherhood. Ryan Eliason and Casey Eliason and their families are the result of that. I have discovered that I need certain other focuses in order to fulfill that priority, so for me, BLE is a very top notch supportive structure. I am openly not 100% bright. But when I move off track, I find that the diminishing of my excellent mental, emotional and physical health creeps in and interferes with my mothering. That’s because I am just less excellent at EVERYTHING when food addictions start to run me. I am experiencing that creep right now. It’s like watching a full reservoir as the water line appears above the surface water line, and gets wider and wider. Have you ever seen a dry reservoir? I don’t want to go there.

103. Terry

Love. Love. Love. YOU and all that you bring to this world. You are so appreciated. 💗

104. Rosangela

All of your vlogs are amazing! I love how real, honest and human you are as well as very knowledgeable. But this one was especially good, maybe because I can relate a lot with the priority struggle and how much I want to have a good career as well as many good times with my son. Thanks for sharing and showing us that we’re all normal, all on our plane journey trying to make the best of it. ❤️

105. Kim

YOU…….are awesome!!! 🙂

106. Juanita Huff Sizemore

I agree with 12 step . You have to put yourself first Priority #1! If you don’t take care of yourself you can not take care of others.

107. Lynne langmaid

Susan. Thanx for sharing and reminding me that when life takes us off base to make Bright line a priority. So glad I have your book in audio. God only delivers to us what we are able to handle. Good job Pilot.

108. Ruth

Thankyou so much for your honesty….. I was crying with you!! I identify with so much of what you said, it was a great relief and really helpful to hear someone say these things out loud! Best wishes and many thanks x

109. Maria

I cried. This resonates with me. Thank you for your honesty

110. Jayne Heetderks

we talked many years ago (about the time of the birth of your twins) and I told you my story of finding that I could not work with children and husband who traveled. Even as they got into school they needed me for illness and homework, training them in life. As I remember, you reacted with sadness, and said that you were very sorry- and sad to hear that I had not followed my career. You seemed to think it had been a great loss to the world ? or to me. This has not been my reaction, and I feel so thankful for all those years at home and just volunteering. Made me aware that I was acting on my belief– that children were way more important– and that I could thrive without another work. Do not expect others with different values to see this the same way. Thinking that what we do shows our priorities regardless of what we say.
    Same is true of marriage and how we are present for our partners. Over 40 years now I have given many of my best hours to my husband and that would not have been true if I came home on empty after a hard day. Just old fashioned and maybe showing my age.

111. Mel Burns

True story: This morning, before watching this video, I went on to Amazon to see how much your Bright Line Eating book costs. I did this because I am currently borrowing your book from the library, but it speaks to me so powerfully that I want to have a copy of my own … and I also want to support your tremendous work.

In addition to giving you a well-earned compliment, the reason I mention checking out your book on Amazon this morning is that I saw a publishing date of March 2017 and also “#1 Best Seller.” You know what I thought? Uh oh. While I’m certainly *NOT* one who believes that you can’t have a big career if you’re in recovery and/or trying to stick to your Bright Lines, I did think about the tremendous pressure that success places on your shoulders (as well as, of course, all the good stuff). Now you’re invited to this exciting interview and this radio spot and this TV show and this book tour and on and on and on. Or maybe none of that, but you still have an exciting and growing company to run, as well as perhaps pressure to write the next book or the next “ambitious task” to undertake. In our corporate culture, there sadly seems to be almost an inexorable push toward empire building, leaving future iterations almost unrecognizable to the original effort.

Against this backdrop, I truly hope that read the instruments on your plane (an analogy I love), you continue to make adjustments that favor dates with your daughters, your husband, your friends, plus any of the activities that nourish your spirit such as continuing your vital work regarding the psychology of happiness and eating. You’re right in that in taking care of yourself, your own spirt, all the rest will come.

And what an incredible spirit you have.

112. Gaye Salisbury

Susan, thank you for your transparency! Those moments when I feel that I am not enough and that my priorities (plural!!! – I need to think about that one! 🙂 are mixed up, I need to slow down and process just as you so eloquently did in this vlog. You are an amazing woman whose journey has touched me so significantly in just a few short days!

Thank you for the sacrifices that you have made to provide such an incredible platform of healing for all of us! I wish that each of your hours could actually be two, but that would be really exhausting! 🙂

Praying for you as you balance it all!
    Love who you are and how you love us!
    Gaye

113. LRickard

Excellent post. I raised my 2 daughters by myself since they were 18 months old and started a business when they were 8 years old. I didn’t have a choice to stay home since I had two daughters to support. There are always times when you feel this conflict as you can’t be everywhere at once. My daughters learned the importance of drive and hard work even though I wasn’t around as much as their friends’ moms. They are well adjusted young women who understand life can be difficult but family is the most important thing, so everyone needs to help out. I also think having a great “work team” is invaluable. For me, that team included my nanny who made it possible for me to build my business knowing the girls were well cared for. “It takes a village.” Onward…..

114. Valerie Elliott

Susan – this week’s Vlog was so valuable for me to hear! Thank you for speaking from your heart as well as your head as that’s what makes you truly inspirational!

115. Lori

Thanks Susan for being so real… it’s fresh air to my soul !