Live from the 2nd Annual Family Reunion

For this week’s vlog, I’m coming to you LIVE from San Diego, surrounded by a crowd of smiling Bright Line Eaters, and I talk about the importance of connection and support.

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Linda Carrettin

Fantastic to see you Susan and your background supporters there for the reunion in San Diego. I hope to be there next year! I am making that promise to myself. Thank you Susan for giving us an idea of when, it definitely helps to set up an itinerary for overseas travel. I saw you Josie Collichia in the background. Woo hoo fabulous to see an Aussie there. Have an awesome time. Love to you all 💞💕💞

2. Bridget Hill

Looks like everyone was having a blast and making great connections. Looking forward to next year. Just finished Boot Camp today and I just want to say thanks and how great it was to hear from you on this day. PS. How amazing that someone was actually wearing a down vest in San Diego in June 🙂

3. Boni-esther Enquist

Congrats to Susan and the BLE team for creating such a wonderful experience for those in San Diego. Hoping to go next year. Blessings to all! Boni-esther

4. Nancy Himelstein

Dear Susan,
    Suggest you consider not using the expression “gyped,” as it is disrespectful to Gypsies, who at one point in time were thought to be Eyyptians (and who were very much denigrated and discriminated against).

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Hi Nancy. You’re so right. I re-watched this vlog just now and flinched when I said that (before reading your comment). I apologize.
      Susan

5. Stefi

LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing the fun there Susan 🙂
    And I also love the nugget about getting support. SO TRUE😊

6. Ann Senghas

Oh dear, yes, I second Nancy’s comment. Please excise “Gyp” from your vocabulary, and if possible, from your video! When we grow up hearing these terms, they become second nature and we often don’t realize what they mean or what kind of pain they cause.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Agreed. And sorry. It’s bizarre that that’s what I said…it’s not a word I can remember ever using, and I’m aware of its history and insult. I don’t remember saying it at the time, but I happened to re-watch the vlog this morning while stretching and flinched when I saw myself say that. Then I read the comments. Such a testimony to the point you’re making here that when we grow up hearing certain words they become part of the fabric of our brain and we can repeat them thoughtlessly. I’m glad we have the comments down here where I can apologize. I hear your suggestion that I remove it from the video. If it were simple to do (e.g., if I had shot the video at home and could just re-shoot it, for example) I would probably seriously consider doing that. However, now that I think about it more deeply, I realize that I tend not to expunge the record when I make mistakes and do hurtful things. I’m super human and mess up quite often. Boy, my tribe has taken me to the mat, over and over. I never mean any harm but that doesn’t mean I never DO any harm. And when I do, I tend to prefer the public apology and owning-up-to-it route. I think there’s some benefit in that, too. Especially considering what we’re about here at Bright Line Eating, which is creating a supportive, loving enough climate that we can all lean in when we behave in ways that aren’t up to our own standards–even in ways that are hurtful to ourselves or to others. The food journey is messy, and practicing messing up and showing up is good stuff–we all need to strengthen that muscle, in my opinion.
      So.
      I apologize. If you (speaking to everyone reading this now, not just Ann) were personally hurt by what I said in my vlog, I’m really sorry I hurt you.
      And if you were not personally hurt, but were offended that I used a derogatory word, I apologize to you too. I’m sorry I did that.
      xo
      Susan
      P.S. — And, if you’re the Annie Senghas I knew in grad school, then hello! Good to see you here. If not… hi anyway, and thanks for your comment.

1. Ann Senghas

Susan: Thanks, what a lovely owning-up and moving on. It’s such a healthy process to keep the progress open and on-record. And yes, indeed, the very Annie! I’ve been enjoying your blogs and seeing BLE grow!

2. Barrie

I thank you for such a thoughtful, honest treatment of this issue. I picked it up, too, and thought that some education was in order. But I found lengthy blog on the topic, with numerous perspectives and am not even convinced of the etiology of the word.

Here’s another idea:

The term actually originated in Europe where marble was (and still is) the most prized and expensive building material. However it was not uncommon for unscrupulous masons to substitue the similar, but less expensive and less durable material alabaster in all but the most visible locations. This, of course, was done without the owners immediate knowledge.

Alabaster, if you know your rocks, is a common form of the mineral Gypsum (http://geollab.jmu.edu/Fichter/Minerals/Minerals/gypsumala.html)

So, when the builder discussed his misdeed with his fellow masons, he would claim that he had really “Gyp”-ped the guy, meaning that he had substituted Gypsum(alabaster) for marble at a tidy, ill-gotten profit.

The above is one of the replies in this blog: http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000648.html
        I thought there was an uncommonly genuine and informed set of replies.

All said, I haven’t used the term for many years and do try to expunge from my vocabulary those words that I know or suspect to be derived from reinforcement of power, domination or privilege. The dialogue is more worthwhile than the political correctness, which is arbitrarily determined, anyhow. My hats off to you you, Susan Pierce Thompson, for setting the tone for the human propensity to make mistakes and the grace to admit and correct them–even if the source of the word “gyp” is in question.

7. kathy

thanks for sharing – could not get the recorded event
    due to my ineptness in getting on the free Livestream
    but value your giving and this share too!

8. Mariah Perkins

Charming! Delightful! And alluring…..

9. Jana

Great I start safe the money tomorrow,#Commit the next year I will be there😘😘😘❤️🎊🎊Have amazing time.Thank you Suzan for change my life fell line 1000000 $🎊🎉💃

10. Josephine Raspanti

Thanks for connecting with us for there and
    Looks like a super experience with everyone.
    Thanks too to the trio who sent the video from the fireside
    Chat. It helps to feel included though not there.
    Maybe next year. / thanks too for the bonus of Mike
    Blackstone’s sent which was great info on the two
    Hemispheres of the brain and how they operate
    Separately which explained the tormoil of cravings.
    Have great time. Been cold here all week on Esst coast too,

11. Caroline

I wish people would stop correcting Susan’s tiny blip! How annoying….those words are remnants of language that pop
    out from time to time with no false intention whatsoever! A lot of people have gotten so politically correct
    instead of letting others just be….it’s like nagging! Even if I were a gypsy myself, I’d Get It.!….with no pride on the side.
    Give the lady a break….refocus….YOU ALL ROCK!!🇨🇦❤️

1. Susan

Thank you Caroline! I agree.

2. Susan

Agree! 100!

3. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

You’re sweet, Caroline. (Oh dear! didn’t mean to reference a song. I bet you get that a lot. Sorry 😉
      Thank you for sticking up for me. You’re right of course–there was no hurtful intention on my part. And very little thought. I do vaguely remember searching around in my brain for the term I wanted to use, but I somehow didn’t land on it. I think I meant to say “rip off.” There are several derogatory words for that, and how I managed to land on one will remain, I believe, a mystery to me. I never script out what I’m going to say for the vlog, it just flows, almost always in one take, and speaking extemporaneously like that has a cost. Ah, well. Thanks for rocking and rolling with me.
      xoxox
      Susan
      (And the other comments from Susan here aren’t me—but I guess there are a lot of people named Susan in our tribe who are happy about your comment! 😉

1. Caroline

Thankyou Susan for the kind response,no offence about the song….I need encouragement in that department at times,to be sweet,so hearing it is humbling and endearing! When a person works as hard as you, and loves as much as you have for us,it indicates a sensitive soul, and we all need to guard our hearts and look out for each other. So grateful to you and may others forgive me for being a mama bear! Thanks again Susan, rock on girl,and God bless you and yours❤️🇨🇦

12. Jackie

I’m also saving up for next year. The end of June is great for me as I’ll be in the States then and will fly out to be with the family reunion. Loving. 👵🏻😊❤️🇮🇱

13. Meryl

I find it amazing how few men were there. Do men not struggle with eating? Do they not care if they’re overweight? Or is it societally unacceptable for them to need support?

Maybe they were elsewhere when you were filming, but aside from one tall gent to the far left who looked a little uncomfortable, there was really a lack of males there.

14. Lisa Phillips

The reunion truly was awesome. So much love, connection, support and compassion shown by everyone in attendance. Can’t wait until next year!

15. Horatio Nelson

Was the family reunion exclusively for women? If not, then where were the male participants? Regards, Horatio Nelson.

We did have mostly women, Horatio. However there were men there as well and they really LOVED it! Men are very welcome in our programs and in our community.

16. Shira Lesin

Dearest Susan,
    To see you and everyone around you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for caring so much for all of us and doing your utmost best to give us all the support that we need. Be blessed . You are a real gift to humanity!!!….Love ,Shira Nomi

17. Trina

Can we get exact dates for next year? And is it best to allow a day on each side for travel? Maybe I just really want to stay a few extra days at that lovely resort! I will be there next year! And I might even hit my goal weight by then. I will be Happy, Thin, and Free either way!

Hi Trina, So glad you want to join us! Next year’s dates are June 27th through June 30th. oxo

18. Patsy

Is the location set for next June I would love to come but need to plan. I just watched this Vlog for the first time today. So excited to attend next year if I can make it happen. 😜🙂.