Claims of a Celebrity Chef: Debunked?

One of my team members, Chris, recently directed me to an NPR feature with Tom Colicchio, a celebrity chef, restauranteur, and head judge on the TV series Top Chef. During the interview, he made a statement that Chris knew I would want to talk about. Watch this week’s vlog to hear his statement and my thoughts about it.

P.S. — Someone else on my team has just informed me that I pronounced his name wrong.
Goes to show how much TV I watch. *wink*

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Jessica Atkinson

HI! I LOOOOVE this vlog. WOWOWOWOW!! Thank you thank you thank you! Just puts it all out there and in perspective. I am a long time following of ble and spt! I did the 14 day challenge and am reading the book still 🙂 I have been eating wfpb (mostly) since Oct 2016 and lost all my excess weight in the first 5 months. I used the no exercise advice and put on my bunny slippers and watched and read all your content and the wfpb doctors: Dr John McDougall is my favorite. I have not gotten my family on this diet yet and I know it is hard to switch from junk to real food, but wow that example with the rats starving themselves!!? I am so happy to have that example just to make it real. The struggle. So brilliant:) so much love and gratitude for all you do Susan! And all at Bright Line Eating. Love from a grateful follower:)

2. Jana Klvanova

Love it❤️Susan that is true and excellent !!!Every word for telling is true true true!!!Hopefully people start picking up and pay attention and starts reconditions what going on.They make it us sick for there benefit and profit!!1+1=2 not 3!!!Great Susan very very well.Love you and will stay with you for ever😘😘😘

3. Gaye

One of your best vlogs ever! I wonder if there is anyone working to change the subsidy issue . . . an uphill battle I’m sure.

4. Michelle New

Thanks Susan! As always I appreciate you saying it straight and getting to the heart of the matter . Poverty definitely does play a role in this as I sadly witnessed in my own extended family. Am ever so grateful for being BLE educated ❤️

5. Charlotte Spencer

This is such a great vlog. You discussed so many issues regarding food economics. I really appreciated you mentioning food subsidies. I’m such an opponent of the Farm Bill. Its title sounds so nice and positive but it’s about big agriculture getting rich producing low quality food. Until we shift our food policy and get rid of the Farm Bill, that economically disadvantaged, single mom you described is likely to stay trapped. It breaks my heart too, Susan. Our individual food choices are so important but we must look up from our individual plate and take a look at our collective plate. Thank you for raising awareness of our collective plate today.

1. Dona Omanoff

I agree talking about food policy is very important to changing the agricultural landscape (is that kind of a pun?). More important, talking about these facts help consumers connect the dots and see how we as citizens must “vote” with our dollars to impact policy. My dollars are being used for whole, organic foods as I live with breast cancer which I am choosing to heal with food among other modalities not chemo or radiation. Thank you Dr. Susan, for integrating the data and summarizing it for us from the George Washington study. These down-to-earth discussions are very helpful for me to share with others – bring another perspective to food. We all love food – we are grateful for the hands that bring the food to us from the farmer to the trucker!

6. Kathy

All I have to say is AMEN!!!! You represent us well by calling out the subsidy of horrible foods and the mindless eating that is pushed at us constantly. Thank you so much for taking this topic and sharing your heart.

7. Caroline

Great vlog Susan!! Gives me ammunition for conversing with those who are accepting the false and misleading statements ( that let themselves off the hook for taking responsibly) to look at the truth….the first step! We do need to encourage with truth and results
    will change the global tide❤️🇨🇦

8. Carolina castillo

Awesome blog! Thank you!

9. Ronnaberezin

Agree with everything you said and respect your judgment up to the point of food in a poor family and picky children. I have taught every grade incl. college andraised 3 children , so trust me when I say these pickychildren are testing parents bc they have no respect for their wishywashy attitudes and uncompromising need for respect and love none of which they get when they can’t even stand up for their godgiven right to manage and provide a healthy environment for themselvesas well as their family. Children are not dumb and pick up onparents’weakness! Even you Susan let your kids eat as much Halloweencandy as they want …. duh. but just foronenight!!! Wrong! Society will change whenthese parents take a stand and realize 30 mins spent prep food for their kids is worth 1) the savings … in money , health, costs, bad behavior and above all avoiding the BLAME GAME!

1. Pam Holt

Ronna,

As the parent of a grown son, I find there’s a balance to be struck between firmness and lenience. My son’s childrens dentist wouldn’t let his daughter eat sweets. When she grew up and left the house, she rebelled and ate little else. Now her beautiful teeth are rotting and he’s heartbroken.

I think one of the best things you can do for your kids is to teach them to cook — not just brownies but healthy food. There is so much on the web these days with beautiful pictures of interesting recipes, they can explore on their own and find things that inspire them that they can share with the family. It’s good when they see it’s not just coming from you, but it’s how beautiful young people stay fit and healthy. Vegan food is quite trendy, for example. Even if they don’t immediately take it up, it’s a skill that will serve them all their lives.

10. Jaime Sirgany

I like to hear the statistics…but the best part is when you quote the sources.

11. Andrea

Very compelling, Susan. I hope NPR interviews you on this very topic. One note though: fast food restaurants are increasingly offering healthy or at least healthier options, and the options will increase the more people are educated about nutrition and demand it.

12. Pam Holt

Great VLOG! It’s lovely to hear you talk about how yummy red cabbage is. Dr. Michael Greger named it the #2 biggest nutritional bang for your buck. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/biggest-nutrition-bang-for-your-buck/ What is #1? Broccoli sprouts. They cost 30 cents a cup to grow at home when you buy the seeds by the pound. Google ‘sulforaphane’ and you’ll know why they’re so good for you. (Disclaimer: I design and sell sprouting equipment to make it easy for people to grow them.)

Canned beans are also really cheap. Cooking your own beans is even cheaper. If you don’t have time to tend a pot of beans on the stove, there’s a great alternative. When you’re short on time, an Instant Pot (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ) makes it simple to cook your own beans and other foods without standing over the stove. Amazon Prime Day is coming up soon — it’s like a Black Friday in July. On the last two Black Fridays as well as the last Prime Day, there were great deals to be had on Instant Pots on Amazon. They haven’t announced the exact date yet, but it’s usually the second week in July. Don’t have Amazon Prime? You can sign up for a free 30-day trial and cancel it before the trial is up if you don’t want to keep it.

13. Leslie

The pharmaceutical companies are making a killing because of all this “cheap” food. Isn’t it funny how pharmacies are all located behind a store full of all this crap food and crap products we put on our bodies? Interesting. It’s bordering on criminal.

14. Sylvia

Susan you are good as always. Well explain. Yes it is rue lest expanding for good food. Thank you again.

15. Judee

I understand what you are saying BUT
    being poor is more than you said. Poor is really not having money to buy leaner cuts of meat, etc. In very poor times, we had to eat bean soup, potato soup, macaroni and sauce with no meat. Ramen soup is now cheaper than anything else and makes a meal.
    Poor can and is this poor.

16. Catriona

Susan, such a telling blog. I know of children who suffer greatly and at school they are ostracized because they’re obese. It’s so sad. Another side egg of being obese is depression, would you address how BLE can balance hormones to defeat depression and all it’s side effects

17. writergirl

I think you’re missing chef’s point. It’s easy and quick to go to McDonalds or Taco Bell and get a meal for $5-7, but it’s expensive in time, effort, and money to buy fresh fish or chicken and veggies, cook them, clean up, etc. It’s easy to eat fat, and tougher to eat nutritiously, esp. for a family. Who doesn’t “like” a tasty burger and fries? Who likes cabbage? Not as many people for the cabbage. You see the metaphorical point, I think, if not a literal point in your opinion.

18. Joseph

Susan! This is your best vlog ever! It’s so inspires me to see you tell it like it is, and in so doing hold the food industry and the federal government — who is supposed to be protecting us — accountable for their destructive collusion.
    Joseph in Missoula

19. Anna

Hands down best vlog ever! My heart is both encouraged and saddened to hear this information. Thank you for laying down some truth on us!

20. Lauri McKean

Amen! Thanks for discussing this topic.

21. Nikka

What a beautiful heart you have. So many people forget how challenging it is to be poor and trying just to get food in the stomach. The hurry that a person gets into when trying to make ends meet also contributes to what food is desired, and how the body processes it, too. When I was poor, it just was so scary to think of not having a dinner all week. To get a 99 cent hot dog at the convenience store and cover it with chili and “cheese” was the closest thing to satisfaction we could get some weeks. But yes, yes. it took lots of time and struggle to deal with what happened as a result of those years. We are no longer that poor. However, I am still so grateful my grocery bill did go down with Bright Line eating for the two week challenge.

22. Meg

Terrific vlog! I will add that many people don’t realize how directly dental costs are tied to poor nutrition. I’m frankly shocked at the number of my children’s friends who are having cavities filled, teeth pulled, and even root canals–as children. This is insane. And given that 1/3 of Americans don’t have dental insurance, it’s another huge hidden cost of the high-calorie food epidemic.

It IS possible to get children to embrace high-quality food and actually prefer it, however, it does take years of putting the quality in front of them and explaining time and again why we don’t eat all the other things that kids at school eat, why we don’t stop at fast food places, even when it would be oh so easy and quick, or why I threw out the Gushers a relative once sent home with them. My two girls do get treats, but they are on the healthier side, with far less sugar and fat than I consumed as a child.

Both girls now prefer their favorite fruits over most other desserts. This proves that taste buds can change, given enough time and regular, ongoing exposure to whole foods. (Fourteen-year-old has never had a cavity, and her younger sister has only had one tiny cavity filled in 10 years. )

23. Tom Penrod

Susan, I am a Bright Line Eater and I am a farmer and beef cattle rancher in central South Dakota. I can’t fathom the distance you and others involved with diet plans have for the people who work hard and diligently and carefully to produce the best foods that we can buy. Today, and for the better share of the last 30 years government spending through the department of agriculture has been for food assistance programs, foods stamps and reduced cost school lunch programs and other “entitlements”. The amount of direct payments for subsidized farming has fallen dramatically. I believe in the BLE system and greatly appreciate the support offered by your staff and I will continue to subscribe to the services offered because I believe in it. And I know you are a loving kind person but I will have to work hard to overcome your attitudes towards food production and the people who invest their hearts and souls into keeping the grocery store shelves full and inexpensive. Tom Penrod., South Dakota

1. Joseph Fleischman

Tom, I don’t think anyone was singled out by Susan, and certainly she must know nothing about your particular operation in South Dakota. But the undeniable truth of the matter, and in general terms, is that we’re getting too big for our britches here in the good ol’ USA. And as we get fatter we get diseased. Yep, we’re in big trouble. And the heart of the problem is the food industry — the cattle, swine, chicken, egg, and mostly the dairy industries — when combined consume 80% of our country’s plant agriculture, and an unsustainable swath of our water supply.
      There’s a movement in progress Tom, and it’s plant-based. Should everyone adopted a plant-based diet, the entirety of those macro problems listed above would disappear, and overnight. We can’t afford business as usual when it comes to how America eats Tom.
      BTW, regarding “entitlements” check out the “Wagner Law”, an economic dictum of 1886 that has held true all these years. Basically, its most famous of three provisions states that as GDP rises so inevitably does the Welfare State. It has held true for almost 200 years, and in every advanced country. A little logic concludes that to reduce the welfare state results inevitably in reduced GDP (if X then Y therefore if -Y then -Y). So, every wish to reduce “entitlements” absolutely entails the wish to reduce our country’s economic strength. And I don’t think you want that Tom.
      Joseph in Missoula

1. Joseph Fleischman

Whoops! The logic: If X then Y entails If -Y then -X.
        Joseph in Missoula

2. Teresa

I found your comment thoughtful and helpful, Tom.

Personally, I am offended by Joseph’s comments. I’m not going to engage in a discussion (I will not reply to his comments) but I wanted to express my appreciation to you for speaking up for yourself and for farmers. I’m guessing you mean “disdain” rather than “distance” in your comment.

3. Susan Peirce Thompson

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am touched that my work has been of value to you, and that you are reaching out, across a vast span, to someone who lives in a very different context than yours, to respectfully share how what I said felt disrespectful to you.

You’re right, I’m not a farmer. And given my level of agricultural knowledge, that’s probably a good thing. But I do appreciate farmers. A lot. And I would never want to disrespect the people who work so very hard to grow the food that feeds my family.

If I failed to communicate that adequately, or conveyed any disrespect at all towards you, towards the people in your profession, towards the millions of people who very literally make it possible for me and everyone I love to eat – then I sincerely apologize.

I would appreciate if you could shed some light on something for me. It is my understanding that the USDA spends somewhere in the range of $25 billion per year on various forms of subsidies (primarily through crop insurance for commodities crops) for farm businesses. It’s also my understanding that roughly a million farmers and landowners receive some level of federal subsidies, but that the payments are heavily tilted towards the largest producers. And that very very little of that money goes towards supporting the farmers who are grown fresh and perishable foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

Does that all sound accurate to you, or would you frame it differently?

I ask because I so appreciate your taking the time to reach out to me, and because I am interested in understanding your point of view on this. We may or may not come to full agreement about everything, but the spirit of open dialogue is one I value a great deal, and given the generosity you displayed by reaching out and demonstrating such candor, I suspect the same is true for you.

With curiosity and appreciation,

Susan

4. Susie

Thanks for this response.

5. Joseph

Tom, what would be the cost of a Big Mack if Congress finally rescinded the corn and soy subsidies? Does your business not benefit by that boost from the taxpayer? Then there’s the methane gas from your cattle — what do you contribute in the effort to countermand environmental damage from methane? And let’s not forget the carbon dioxide from your operation’s machinery — is the taxpayer to take care of that for you too?
      Cheap food? It’s not that cheap when you count all the variables.
      Joseph in Missoula

1. Joseph

To all, and especially Tom,
        I have strong feelings about this subject, and sometimes I let those feelings get the best of me. The blame game is not right, and I’m afraid that I stepped into it. My apologies Tom. Judging from your one response, you seem to be a fine person. Yes, we have problems with obesity and it is about the food we eat. But I can’t say that any of it lies at your doorstep. If you can’t forget what I wrote, please forgive it.
        Joseph in Missoula

24. alyssa

I tweeted the vlog to the chef. he seems cool. I think he will appreciate the BLE perspective. 😉

25. Jennifer D Georgeson

Spot on, Susan! Spot on. I love everything about this episode.

26. Antoinette Mary Lincoln

Talking about expense: Since I lost my first 25 kgs (I’ve got another 25 to go), I’m spending less than a third at the chemist, homeopaths, physiotherapist, chiropractor. I’ve stopped taking blood pressure pills. My aches and pains have disappeared, I’m doing gardening again (saving on the gardener) and I’m definitely spending less on (healthy)food. However, I am spending more on traveling more often because I’m not so ashamed of showing my body around and…….. I’m having so much more fun!!!!!!! I’m spending on self improvement seminars and I’m a healthier happier person all round.
    Isn’t that better???????

27. Jen

Did not know about the rat study – thanks I will look that up as I’m always looking for compelling information to help convince people of how terribly addictive bad food is. I’ve been doing bright line eating for going on 9 weeks now and feel great. I wasn’t obese or even much overweight but just felt like I was feeling too old for my age of 43 with aches and pains and tired all the time. I considered myself a fairly good eater already – little to no wheat, cooked most of my own food…but even changing from a pretty good diet to BL eating I’ve seen a dramatic change – within a week I was shocked at how much better my sleep was, I woke up feeling rested. I sleep fewer hours but feel more rested. I wake up before my alarm clock…I don’t remember the last time I did that regularly! I’ve lost 12 lbs yet I love what I eat and don’t feel deprived at all. Yes I’m very hungry by dinner time, but it make eating more enjoyable. I feel like I taste more. Thank you for sharing what you have learned. I bought your book and that’s all I’ve needed to eat this way – it’s so easy! I love how easy it is. I even travel for work and it is easy to do now.

28. Pam

This was a great vlog. I certainly noticed my food budget went down when I started BLE. Since the amount of food is fixed, I try to eat the most nutritious foods I can easily prepare.

You mentioned cabbage, which I love. I have purple cabbage on my salads just about every day because it is so nutritious and because I like the crunch and the slightly sweet flavor. Dr. Michael Greger reviews all the nutritional research papers published every year (more than 100,000 of them) and publishes the most useful and interesting findings on his non-profit website NutritionFacts.org. He highlighted purple cabbage as having the most antioxidants for the money in his 2008 video “Superfood Bargains”. He updated his list in 2012 with the video “Biggest Nutrition Bang for the Buck”.

1. Joseph Fleischman

I get Dr. Greger’s magnificent blogs almost daily, and highly recommend it to this forum. He’s at nutritionfacts.org.
      Joseph in Missoula

29. Natalie Helen Beresford-Wood

Yes Yes Yes. I 100% agree with you. When you do the quantification of being overweight and the cost of processed “Cheap / Crappy / Food” you are SPOT ON. Including all the Medical Costs attached. One does not have to be a “Nuclear Physicist” to figure it all out..

Well done SUSAN. You are spot on..

Namaste

30. Kimberly

I am so grateful for this… the rat study, the acknowledgement of the challenges around parenting given today’s food landscape, and the reference to the other study… all very helpful and GREATLY appreciated!

31. Sylvia

Very enlightening and inspirational. Will put it on my facebook page. As a chaplain and ethicist we deal with the negative consequences of obesity on a daily basis, including amputations and death. And no, there is not fast-food trip back to health. Couldn’t there be a fast food restaurant that serves food according to BLE???

32. Juliana

I love your vlog! There’s another way in which that applies. I saw once a picture of 2 different 500cal plates, one was a plate of fries an the other was a plate with salad, veggies, a little pasta, grill chicken and avocado. Surely you need to buy and cook all the ingredients of the second plate and against a cheap bag of fries that looks expensive… The way I see it is that with cheap junk food you get hundreds of empty crappy calories and to eat the same amout of healthy calories you need to invest more. We need to remember that not all calories are created equal.

33. TT

Susan, you really should be in an official capacity to advise the US government on health, food, agriculture etc. Your knowledge and stance are invaluable and should be used to set policy. I’m in the UK and don’t honestly know how much of the crap food production is being subsidized by government, but I would imagine it’s similar to the US. If Donald won’t have you, can we please??!
    You are leading a food and health revolution and you are an inspiration to us all!
    I’m only 23 days into BLE and am still nervous that I won’t make it happen forever (I think this is normal?) , but I know for sure that the knowledge you have imparted will stay forever in my brain.

1. Joseph Fleischman

TT, Stick to the “Mother Ship”, which is BLE and you’ll be just fine!
      Joseph in Missoula

34. Karen C

Then maybe Monsanto should stop feeding us glyphosate found in almost all non-organic foods, including animal meat because animals are being fed foods which contain glyphosate, which both robs the body of minerals and causes leaky gut syndrome, ensuring our bodies can’t assimilate the nutrients we DO eat–and it’s not just found in white bread! It’s in almost everything we eat! People are fat at the same time they are nutritionally starving to death!!!! Organic is more expensive but as you say, to eat right means eating a lot less garbage too!

35. Denise Jones

Brilliant vlog Susan! Thank you for bringing up some hard truths about our food system. I am spending so much less on my food as a Bright Line Eater. Please try not to put your self in the position of turning a blind eye to the very expensive (on all levels) and government subsidized meat, egg, and dairy industries. Thank you for promoting the nutrient rich sources of protein such as legumes. We can change the food system from the bottom up by purchasing healthy food (vote with your dollars). I have to believe that we can overcome the obstacles of the huge unhealthy food industries (and their lobbyists), the sick care industry (who profit from our illness), and a government that seems to cater exclusively to these industries at the moment.

36. Bernadette Whelan

Hi Susan,
    That blog makes so much sense, thanks for enlightening me
    Bernadette

37. Raymond

Hello Susan, thank you very much for this clear view. As a Brightlifer we love to hear your voice. People around us at home think that we spend too much money on bio vegetables. In fact we make exact choices in exact quantities. Pffff If we only get these people to listen these 15 minutes to your facts.

38. Ramona Thompson

I LOVED the blog this week. We need to all be shouting this message from the rooftops!!

39. Deborah Garrard

Susan and team, it would be powerful and so impactful if you would contact both NPR and Tom Colicchio to share your perspective, your experience and your wisdom in this regard. Tom is working to change exactly some of the issues your raise about government subsidies. He needs your insights in his effort!! He was recently on Capitol Hill speaking before Congress, attempting to make inroads into these tragically disparate issues. Please reach out. I know he and his team would welcome some type of collaboration. I realize your plate is full . . . but to carry that analogy, Tom is trying to fill other plates with healthy, nutritious food where it simply isn’t possible because of the subsidies and Food Industry lobbyists. He’s trying to help fill the plates of the poor single parent working two jobs to feed their children. You can help. Please contact Tom and his team. Team up!! I’m an Eating Psychology Coach in Atlanta. I send people your way. If I can help with this cause in ANY way, please reach out. Grateful!

1. Lisa Radelet

I am so glad you mentioned this, Deborah, because I went to NPR.org to listen to the original interview with Tom Colicchio and he sounds wonderful! His mission is to get schools cooking meals from scratch using real food– totally in agreement with BLE way of eating. And to make nutritious food more affordable and available to all in this country — which was the context of that comment. It made me wonder if Susan and the BLE team actually listened to the interview or why they framed her blog as “debunking” him when it seems they are really on the same wavelength. They should be working together!

40. S. Irwin

OUTSTANDING VLOG!!!!

41. Angelique Beauregard

Seriously, Susan, you’ve outdone yourself. This is one of your best VLOGs ever. Thanks so much!

42. Larry Van Dyke

Susan: Great insights and information. Thanks

43. Stephanie Molnar

Susan–thank you. I am so pleased that you did mention the fast-food conundrum faced by many parents in American society. These are hideously difficult issues–particularly when the issue of brain-rewiring is brought into it. My neighbors–whom I love dearly–fall into this category and their 13-year-old son is already overweight and has high blood pressure. But the tantrums he throws when he cannot access the food he is craving are just too much for them most of the time. Our Y has a free nutrition program–wouldn’t go. She’s at her wits end. I do believe much of this will have to occur at a systemic level–ie food subsidies and costs. Thank you for bringing it together in this fashion and not forgetting the real struggles of some families. (Funny, but I haven’t thought to introduce them to BLE. But maybe I will….)

44. Donna Reynolds

Amazing topic and spot on…truth… BLE is cheaper and so much better to eat, love the plan Susan and all the successes and positives that have come with using it… THANK YOU!!!

45. Jennifer Bell

I agree! This chef doesn’t know anything about nutrition, if he did he never would have made that statement Nutritious food is not expensive at all. He needs to educate himself I recommend he read Super Immunity by Joel Fuhrman and How not to Die by Michael Gregor. Dr. Fuhrman talks about Greens, Beans, Onoins, Mushrooms , Berries and seeds all of which are “cheap” a bunch of Kale is under 2.00, onoins are cheap, and I just bought 2lbs of baby bella mushrooms for 5 bucks, strawberries are cheap now so I buy them in season and freeze them for later. Dr. Gregor teachs about red cabbage here https://nutritionfacts.org/video/superfood-bargains-2/
    Thanks for your response in your Vlog , people need to know that nutrition is cheap and possible on a budget I actually save more money when I’m purchasing from the produce section normally our bills used to be over $200 a week and now I can get everything I need for under $60, I cook more but I feel great too! Beans and Greens, Baby! 🙂

46. Shawna

Great thoughts Susan!! I wish I could rewind time, and know about Bright Line Eating when I was a new mom. I would have done so many things differently with our family meals back then . Your example of the rats being fed a buffet of unhealthy foods to the point that when they were given healthy options, literally starved them because they craved the unhealthy junk. Yikes!!

47. Ivana

Best-vlog-ever!!!! Thanks!! I just hope it won’t get you in trouble with all the lobyists and members of the hidden system supporting the american Pharma and Produce which all seems to be designed to undermine exactly the way of life you are proposing! Big end bigger portions everywhere to get you addicted faster, packaging of everything in big and bigger quantities (supposedly to save you money) but effectively forcing you to buy (and spend) more! I LOVE your fiery presentation which comes out of real conviction of the truth of your message! What a real treat to listen to you! Thanks again!

48. Tina

I agree with Susan! I’m on week 9 of Bright Line Eating and I can attest to our grocery bill not going up. While my kids still eat non Bright Line foods, some of the greens have rubbed off on them so to speak… they were depleting my supply of sugar snap peas the other day, hehe! I’m so pleased that they enjoy healthy snacks. Also, I have noticed that due to the built in meal planning on Bright Line Eating, I have much less waste, so there is another way that we are saving money.

49. Kathy Kusterman Martin

I was amused by these statistics so I checked my own change in food/dining out costs since being on Bright Line Eating. I started in June 2016 so it’s been a year and I have lost 45 pounds. I am single and I eat good, albeit BLE. Comparing the 2 years prior to BLE to this last year, I have reduced my food costs by 16% and happy to say I’m eating MORE and BETTER!

6/23/2016 6/22/2017 Variance % Change
    Dining 6615.51 5494.96 -1120.55 -16.9%
    Groceries 10179.9 8619.9 -1560 -15.3%
    Total 16795.41 14114.86 -2680.55 -16.0%

2015 2017 Variance % Change
    Dining 8479.35 5494.96 -2984.39 -35.2%
    Groceries 8296.31 8619.9 323.59 3.9%
    Total 16775.66 14114.86 -2660.8 -15.9%

1. Susan Peirce Thompson

Whoa! Nothing like HARD DATA to corroborate a hypothesis!
      Thank you for sharing your numbers, Kathy.
      You’re a budgeting and dollar-tracking ninja rock star 🙂
      And…I’m relieved you found your food costs went down. Hahaha. I’d feel embarrassed if you discovered otherwise. Whew!
      xoxoxo
      Susan

50. Heather

Hi Susan, well good on you once again! You deserve another great pat on your back for your ongoing concern for the world’s people. What you are doing is central to normalizing our world and returning it to its proper state of harmony. And yes the greatest tragedy is the one where kids are not able to enjoy/relish good wholesome foods. If governments did have a care for the well being of individuals and created policies that supported that the world would truly be a different place!

51. Debbie

Dear Susan I just love your vlogs and all the info I get out of them… I have a huge request for you. Would you consider writing a cookbook that goes along with your plan ? It would be extremely helpful for many many people. I am sure that others have also asked this of you. Can you tell me if this is something you would consider?
    Thank you for all you do and the effort you put forth for ALL of us!!! Blessings Debbie

52. Gisele

Wow! I really loved this vlog. It was insightful. It is so true what you are saying about the way children are corrupted to ‘crapy’ food and it is hard to sort go against the current of today’s american diet and impose a healthy diet to our children. I think every parent should have access to this particular vlog. Thanks again for sharing such important views and knowledge with us.

53. Adrienne Rayna

Diddo all the comments! Wow! tis soooo true.
    I am a strong advocate of gradule change of diet (or exercise) to allow th microorganisms in our guts to change and the toxins to be processed by and illiminated from our bodies as our diet gets healthier.
    I really do believe that the microbes that like junk food are sending messages to our brain to eat more and more and more.
    The microbes in our gut that love green vegies, fruit, beans and rice … When they get fed, they will ‘tell’ us to eat healthy food.
    But the battle between the junk food microbes and the health food microbes can make yout tired, sick, withdrawel … so slow conversion where you add increasingly more good microbe food and then decrease the junk food could work for some.

54. Eva Finch

Thank you, Susan, for another very good vlog. I was intrigued by the test rats; could you please provide a source for that story, it’s a good one to refer to.

55. Susan Arnesen

Thank you for this vlog ……….. So true and yet such a challenge to over one the myth.

The only thing that I must add – there is an omission of balanced healthy eating.
    To have proper nutrients we need variety and not all bodies can eat less expensive foods – sure …….. It’s better then crap food but getting weight off isn’t the only thing that contributes to health. Especially in this day and age – we do not get all the nutrients we need from our diet because of other impacts – exposure to toxicity and environmental degradation.

The question is what is nutrition ? It is relative – I agree. It’s better to eat cabbage then a bag of chips but there has to be a more of an honest look at the overall range of nutrition – which includes enjoyment , balanced nutrients.

I realize I’m talking from the point of view of someone who has more options but I couldn’t eat just beans and rice and experience some sense of overall nutrition from that.

There is a lack of acknowledging the full human experience around eating when it is talked about as if we were machines and don’t long for some pleasure in our experience of eating.

Just adding that to the mix !

56. cheryl coan

Hi Susan, I hardly ever do comments, but this one I am. I was born in 1948 into a poor family, we never ate out because it was to costly, we ate a lot of beans, corn bread, anything with flour and corn, potatoes every meal, canned veggies. So my sister and I grew up on very high carbs, stick to your ribs food. Well let me tell you it stuck pretty good, it’s still a battle. My mom died when she was 53, of a strock . It was a big loss to our family, and all because of the way we ate. My sister is still obese and she is so addicted to processed food, thank you so much for BLE, knowledge is power in my life. God bless you

57. Mercedes (from Argentina)

It´s incredible how much money I waste when I am off the plan (nowadays, for example). Money is not an excuse, at least for an individual. So true, Susan! I love you!