How Heat and Cold Affect Weight Loss

Can living in a warm or cold climate influence how fast or slow you lose weight?
Watch this week’s vlog to hear my answer to this fantastic viewer question.

Follow Susan on Twitter!

Like Susan’s Facebook Page!

Comments

1. Alisa Battaglia

Here is what they “wroted”…really? No such word.

1. Constance

She said “wrote in”.

2. Cassandra

She said, wrote in, not wroted

3. Melanie

I believe she said “wrote in”

4. Sherry

I make up new words all the time. But she did say ” wrote in”.

5. Vicki

Just fyi, she said “wrote in” not wroted.

6. Josie

Hey Alisa, clean the wax out of your ears and listen again… She said “wrote in”.

7. Paula

Not what she said. Listen again. Wow

8. Susanne

“Wrote in”, Alisa!

9. Susanne

“Wrote in”, Alisia.

10. Wendy

She said “wrote in” not “wroted”…

11. Donna

Susan actually said “Here’s what they wrote in…”

12. Janae

She said, “here is what they wrote in”

13. Deborah W.

Come on! Relax a bit! We’ve all had a slip of the tongue! Any comment on the content?

14. Anjelice

She said “wrote in” not wroted.

15. Sharon

Alisa she said wrote in.

16. Loretta

I think she said, ” here’s what they wrote in. “

2. Amy

What is better a hot or cold sauna from a hermetic perspective?

3. Constance

This hormesis thing is interesting. Have to look more into that. So does that mean all the stress in my life is good? LOL!

4. Amy

What is better a wet or dry sauna from a hermetic perspective? I have the option to go in either after water aerobics in the pool.

5. TEAM Baldwin

THANK YOU SUSAN! So excited to watch this and the answer. Much love! TEAM BALDWIN

1. Sherry

Hi Team Baldwin!

6. cheryl

Excellent Susan,

7. Barbara

Loved this info Susan. I started Bright Line Eating with the October3rd, 2016 and as of today I have lost 50 pounds. Yay! Thank you for this amazing program.

8. Jennifer

So interesting,… is this a contributing factor to why Hot Yoga (i.e. Bikram method) is so effective for health and weight loss?

9. Judith Gisser

Very fascinating blog!
    Susan, thank you for your response to my problem with not receiving your video email for the 14 Day Challenge. Your team also followed up and I received my first one this morning so OFFICIALLY started Day 1 today. Yeah!
    I have a question. Once you weigh food on your scale and see how much something you are likely to eat often (if not every day) is in a dry measure (Tablespoon, 1/4 cup, cup, etc.) can you moving forward using the dry measure for those items? I am used to measuring my food using this type of measure and it works well for me. I only have another 7 pounds to get to my goal weight (recently took off about 6 from my high). I joined the 14 day challenge to help me deal with mindless eating when I am tired but need to push through to get things done before I can get to bed and also when I am having trouble sticking with what the task at hand. I have been working on changing this default in a number of ways. Sometimes more successful than others. Will you be addressing this in your weekly blog or in the 14 day challenge?

10. Janis Fountain

Hi, Susan, this makes sense, which helps me stay focused. I just started the 14 day challenge, and the vegetables I’ve been eating, mostly leafy greens, seems to. Be causing me digestive problems. I have diverticulitis of the small intestine, and had a small bowel resection in 2007. Also, I had blood clots several years ago, and I’m supposed to keep my vitamin k intake down. Can you give me some suggestions? I’m determined to do this! Thanks

11. Stephanie Molnar

Hi, Susan and BLE team! Thanks for another great vlog installment. I have a question. I am wondering if Susan could address the issue of tonsillectomy and obesity. There is conflicting research about tonsil removal and weight gain, but I was indeed one of the children who went from being active and of normal weight to lethargic and overweight after a tonsillectomy in 1977 (age 7). My tonsillectomy would also correspond roughly with increasing usage of HFCS in the diet, but I have always wondered–does tonsillectomy set us up for weight gain (whether or not we know the mechanism)? I have wondered this since before doing my highly unscientific internet search this morning. Would you all consider doing an informal survey of Bright Lifers to see how many of them are overweight/obese in middle age and had their tonsils removed? For example, my mom had her tonsils out and continues to struggle with energy levels and overweight/obesity. My dad had his tonsils his whole life and was very active and never more than 5 pounds over his healthy weight range. Thanks.

12. Chris

this is interesting, I was in the Peace Corps in the Caribbean and we noticed that many of the women gained 10-20 lbs when they arrived while the men all seems to loose weight immediately. I was always curious why this happened, maybe it had more to do with hormonal stress and heat in this situation. Oddly, after about a year and a half, I lost a ton of weight (much more than i gained) after starting a very aggressive exercise routine but it seemed extreme. I wonder if it had to do more w emotional stress than heat?

13. Katie L.

So is it the extreme in hot or cold temperature that triggers hotmesis processes OR is it the fluctuation in temperatures? In other words, would people who live in a consistently warm or consistently cold climate tend to keep on more weight then someone who lives in a highly fluctuating four season environment?

14. Sister Catherine D.M Yaskiw

hi there, keeping your home space a few degrees cooler, near the sweater mark helps with weight direction and also gives you the chance to wear those lovely sweaters that otherwise hang in the closet until cold enough. so to enjoy the benefits of weight direction, sweater wearing and saving money with less heat bills than lower the thermostat. also close doors to rooms you are not in and only heat where needed, use a duvet, quilt to snuggle under and embrace a person for added extra warmth and etc…..

15. Karen

Great info! Thank you Susan!!!

16. Fabi

She said “Here’s what they wrote in”.

17. Paula

Great vlog topic and info, Susan! Thank you!!!

18. Jennifer Fordham

I actually get extremely hungry during the cold months. I can’t stop eating, where as, in the summer I don’t feel as hungry, and I always lose weight.

19. richard

Regular exposure to temperatures of 19 degrees Celsius or less, help in the conversion of white fat reserves to brown fat.
    Brown fat is more easily utilized by the body as an energy reserve.
    Exposure to cold temperatures aid the BMR since the body tries to maintain its temperature.
    Some disadvantages are that there can be increased appetite when cold, so overeating may become a problem.
    Also hot temperatures can lead to increased thirst. It is also then important not to drink in any calories.
    Cheers

20. REA TAUBERT

I still can’t get the 14 day challenge videos either!
    Following the BLE plan in the meantime! Have lost4.5#

21. Toni

How interesting. I notice when I am deep in meditation I really warm up. Could that also be hormesis in action?

22. Lynn

Does this type of reaction when we have a cold or feeling under the weather? Thanks.

23. sharon

Very interested topic. Thank you Susan.

24. stefanie

I feel that you didn’t actually answere their question. Yes, sauna is great, and exposing your body to different temperatures as well, but I think the question went into a different direction, and one that I have been wondering about, too. I do feel that my body craves different foods, and cooking styles, depending on the time of year, weather, activity etc. Eating local foods in season helps you adapt to your environment. And in a cold climate you definitely get hungrier, especially if your house isn’t centrally heated and/ or you spend a good amount of time outside. Also, naturally your body tends to store more fat in the winter ( survival mode ), doesn’t it ?

25. Donna

Alisa, Susan actually said “…here’s what that wrote in…”

26. Dyan

I jump in an infrared sauna 3 times a week… luv it! It speeds up your metabolism & heals the squeaky joints.

27. Sharon

Thanks Susan great post. Learning something new everyday from your findings 🙂

28. lose weight fast

Аfter chjecking օut a few of the articles onn ʏour site, I ѕeriously
    appreciate yojr technique оf writing a blog. Ӏ adⅾed
    it to mʏ bookmark webpage list and wiⅼl be checking back in the neɑr future.
    Ⲣlease check οut my web site too and ⅼеt me knoԝ
    your opinion.