Type I Diabetes & Bright Line Eating

Can Bright Line Eating work for type 1 diabetics who experience severe insulin reactions?
Find out in this week’s vlog.

Comments

1. Diana Samuels

I am a type 2 diabetic, not on insulin only pills. But the past two months have given up sugar and flour and tried to follow what I can glean of the diet. Yesterday after two months my levels are totally normal and have already been taken off one of the pills and the goal is to take me off all of it.
    Diet wise I have been very good since being diagnosed but I got cancer and with steroids found it impossible to diet as strictly. But now am on your no sugar no flour lots of vegetables and they are delighted with the drop in levels. So thank you, I couldn’t afford to sign up but watch your blogs avidly.
    Sincere thanks

1. Carllie

Congratulation on your healing!!! Sorry for some of the struggles that you have been having but I’m super proud that you are being a huge part of why you are getting better… Along with the medical help! Go you!!!!

2. Mariah Perkins

Dear Diana,
      I have found Susan to be very generous with discounts and ways to make BLE affordable. Please ask! The wonderful big fall boot camp is around the corner!
      Ajji (Grandma…Susan’s mom)

2. Deborah W.

I’m so glad that this question was raised. Thank you Susan for your balanced, reasonable, empowering reply!!

3. Sandy

This does not seem accurate. Type I diabetics have NO insulin. The cells that produce insulin have been knocked out by the immune mediated reaction that caused the condition. While BLE may be helpful, I find it hard to believe any Type I diabetic could come off insulin.

1. Meg

I think she might have meant that the type-1 diabetic may have been able to not have to take rapid insulin with meals if not many carbs eaten, and very insulin sensitive already. However, it would be extremely unlikely for a type-1 who is out of their honeymoon period to not need basal insulin at all. If they are diagnosed very early in the process, or are still in the honeymoon, I have seen a few people need very little insulin, or no insulin for a brief time, but this is very limited.

2. Michelle

You are correct. That is why they call it Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus….

1. Michelle

I am on an insulin pump, and do not require many extra units of insulin beside the foundation or basal amount of insulin I take. I try to keep active and eat food that is low in carbs, or burn those carbs off with activity. My foundation units are at four different levels throughout the day, according to frequent blood sugar testing results.

4. Ronna Berezin

Your response is interesting and believable, but Sandy’s response causes me to question ur scientific experience to judge such a serious issue as Type 1 Diabetes. Additionally what experience does Sandy have to make the claim that Type 1 diabetics have no insulin?

1. Jen

Ronna, Having no insulin is basically the definition of Type I diabetes. In order to maintain good blood sugar, the Type I diabetic requires 2 kinds of insulin; long-acting, and short-acting or rapid. You can either get these by injection or via insulin pump, which is worn on the body. The long-acting insulin is typically taken every 12 hours by injection, or via a continuous low-dose (i.e. 24 hours per day) by the pump, and the dose is constant from day to day based on your insulin sensitivity and a charting of your blood sugars. The rapid insulin is taken just before meals and the dose is calculated based on the amount of food you plan to eat. So, yes, it is possible to change/lower the amount of rapid insulin you need if you are eating less, especially less carbs. I can’t imagine that any Type I diabetic could completely eliminate the long-acting dose, as this is what keeps blood sugar stable between meals, during/after exercise, and while sleeping, which you still need even if you eat less. (Mom of a grown son with Type I diabetes)

1. David Leiss

Those Type 1 Diabetics who use an Insulin pump, like myself, don’t use long term insulin. I agree that there was a misstatement in the video. There are two ways to become an insulin dependent diabetic. The first, as in my case, is that it is an autoimmune disease, in which case our bodies ability to produce insulin has been completely destroyed and barring a miracle will never return. The second case is that Type 2 diabetics have Pancreas burnout from their bodies trying to keep up with high glucose levels. BTW, this is only exasperated by the taking of diabetic medications without any changes in eating and physical behavior. In the second case, by one changing their eating and physical behavior, it is possible for the body to eliminate the need for insulin. This is because, by eating right and exercise and prayer. Their Pancreas can once again keep up with the minimized glucose demands. But they will need to continue this behavior for life. It’s like someone with one kidney, they can survive, but need to be careful the rest of their lives.

The key improving a diabetic’s health is to improve one’s insulin sensitivity and thus reduce the amount of insulin needed. In my case, after being diagnosed as a Type 1 for 17 years, first on shots, and then on a pump, I started developing the typical problems of long-term diabetics. I developed diabetic neuropathy and lost feeling in my feet, which as every diabetic knows is a precursor to amputations. My wife, who is not diabetic, and myself changed our diets to follow similar principles as BLE and within one month the neuropathy had completely reversed itself. That was ten years ago and we’re still going strong and teaching others about health & nutrition.

5. Beverly

Type I and Type II diabetes are different diseases with similar symptoms, i.e.,elevated blood sugar. Type II diabetics are insulin resistant; their bodies make insulin but don’t respond to it well. A change in diet like BLE can help so much that they no longer need medication.

On the other hand, a person with Type I diabetes has had their insulin-producing cells in the pancreas destroyed, possibly through an auto-immune reaction. So it is likely that they cannot produce insulin – but with the right nutrition their need for medication can be diminished. I would guess that a person with Type I who needs NO insulin might not have lost all insulin producing cells.

No, I am not a professional; I just read a lot. Feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

1. Joanne

Yes, Beverly, Thank you! It is an autoimmune disease that kills the Beta Cells that produce insulin. We need insulin to live. As a mother of a type 1 it is so frustrating to see the confusion people have about Type 1 Diabetes. As of now there is no cure and they need sugar to combat lows which they all have even on the best diet, after all we are trying to do what the pancreas should be doing. Hormones from stress, puberty etc… play a huge part in blood sugars even if you get your dosage correct. No doubt BLE would help with control.

2. Mary

You are absolutely right. Someone with Type 1 diabetes cannot cure their diabetes – or their need for added, externally supplied, insulin – through diet. It is true that the amount of insulin needed can be reduced (read Dr. Bernstein’s book on diabetes). But it cannot be eliminated.

Some people who have lost pancreatic function through an autoimmune attack do have some beta cells (which produce insulin) and have what is known as a honeymoon period, where they do sill produce some insulin. However, I can’t imagine this would last if a person has been a “brittle diabetic” for many years. That would probably be in Guinness!

6. Dorothy

Type 1 diabetes be is an autoimmune conditions of that destroys the cells that produce insulin. Often when someone is diagnosed they may still have some cells that are still capable of making insulin. Ioften seen as mentioned as the honeymoon period. But generally most are destroyed and the others follow. Google a bit… So many articles out there. I there is always research trying to change things but at this time a healthy weight and lifestyle may dramatically reduce insulin needs and offer other benefits, and so it is still a great idea to do BLE. in my opinion.
    Dorothy
    RN-BC and mom of a 25 yr old healthy woman who has type 1 diabetes.

1. Lynn Kelly

Dorothy is correct. It is possible to lower your medication or insulin even for a Type 1 diabetic with better eating. I find many do not wish to do that and so medication continues to be needed. As a Type 2, I find the more closely I stick with BLE, the better my A1C is, the more I “cheat”, the worse it is. It is a direct correlation–very direct! Susan didn’t say she could get off insulin. She said the BLE guidelines, very garden variety, would work well for her and to work with her doctor to titrate her medicines as her numbers improved. Which will happen. She will, probably, never eliminate insulin, but she may make her Type 1 management much simplier and less complex.
      Lynn
      RN, FNP-C

7. Dorothy

Sorry for the typos new phone and a bad connection ;=)

8. Janice Mazzola

I had Type 1 diabetes for a short period of time. I was not given medication as the doctor told me that she would give me 3 months to lower my A1C. I removed sugar and carbs from my diet and after the 3 months I am now just prediabetic. I know that I still have a long way to go but at least I have started and am very committed to getting healthy.

1. Gabby

I think you are referring to type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes by definition is not something you can have for a short period of time unless it kills you.

2. Mary

Not possible. You probably had Type 2. Unfortunately, Type 1 doesn’t go away based on dietary changes. : (

9. Carla

Faith should read The Cantin Ketogenic Diet Book. It is about type 1 diabetes and how this women health healed her son.

10. Satoru Mimura(Tory)

Diabetes 1 patient needs much Organic Iodine with Ionized much Anion & Cation Water from Spring Water in order to eliminate Bacteria & Virus oxidization for a few months into perfect nature recovering ^__^
    Alternative Special Dr. Scientist in WHO Medical Society on my healing methods under God. Tory007

11. Teri M.

In 2012 I was diagnosed as pre diabetic, with my A1C level at 5.6. I started a nationally recognized weight loss plan, and over the next 3 years my A1C levels hovered between 5.5 and 5.7. Then, in August 2015 I stumbled upon BLE and began eliminating sugar and flour, along with all processed foods, from my diet. My June 2016 checkup showed my A1C level at 5.2!! My August eye Dr. appointment showed my eye pressure had dropped from 21 to 15!! At my weigh in this week, I have lost 46.2 lbs.! I thank you every day Susan for coming into my life and showing me there is a way to be Happy, Thin and Free (and Healthy!). Thank you with all my heart.

12. Stacey Wood

Susan , please please write a book on BLE !!! I feel you could at LEAST , triple the amount of people living Happy , Thin , and free!!
    I see a future where BLE is used for multiple studies to cure or at least control autoimmune diseases. One can only hope ??? Than You and your staff for all your hard work!!

13. Cath King

Although Susan’s recommendations about eliminating sugar and flour for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics is fantastic, I’m troubled by her advice to restrict whole grains and fruit for breakfast and substitute with protein and healthy fats. While this might be ok if the protein is in the form or greens or beans, if people are substituting animal protein, then that’s a bit of a problem.

In 1997 an insulin index of foods was published, ranking 38 foods on which stimulates higher insulin levels. What do you think causes a larger insulin spike; a large apple and all its sugar, a cup of oatmeal packed with carbs, a cup and a half of white flour pasta, a big bunless burger – no carbs at all – or half a salmon fillet? The answer is the meat.

They looked only at beef and fish, but subsequent data showed that there’s no significant difference between the insulin spike from beef, versus chicken or pork – they’re all just as high. So, protein and fat-rich foods may induce substantial insulin secretion. In fact, meat protein causes as much insulin release as pure sugar.

1. Anna

I am interested where you found this information, if you could provide a link or a study as this flies in the face of just about everything known about diabetes and blood sugar spikes at this time. Thank you, Anna

1. Anna

I was reading more on the web about fat and diabetes and a high red meat diet does contribute to insulin resistance, which then causes higher blood sugar. Is this what you meant?

14. Susan

As a Diabetic (Type 2) I was interested to hear Susan’s answer to this question. I am nervous about only eating 3 meals a day with no snacking as I am unsure of what my blood sugar level will do.

But then I realized that I do know what to do, TEST, TEST, TEST my blood sugar throughout the day and make changes as needed. I.e. Add a pre-determined, healthy snack or two as part of my Bright Lines.

Susan – thanks for giving guidance in such a way that I feel empowered (although scared of failure) to take on this challenge.

15. Barb

There seems to be Some confusion/ potential misinformation here regarding Type 1 diabetes vs type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately this is is common and this video does not do a good job of distinguishing between the two.
    Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. These people are insulin dependent for life-a true type 1 diabetic will ALWAYS need insulin to live-food and activity can affect the amount needed, however, NEVER can a Person with Type 1 diabetes stop taking insulin without serious ramifications. It is very dangerous and irresponsible for the speaker to make the claims she did regarding a supposed Type 1 diabetic no longer requiring insulin while on this plan .
    From experience, a diet rich in fresh produce and lean proteins makes it easier to control blood sugars, and minimizing added sugar and unnecessary carbs also help. Type 1diabetics can eat sugar but will have to take insulin. Some type 1 diabetics struggle with blood sugar control and can be described as brittle. Like all type 1 diabetics they must work closely with their endocrinologists to closely monitor food intake and activity and adjust insulin intake.
    Those with type 2 diabetes are insulin resistant and may over time require insulin. These people will see positive results from improving their lifestyle choices ( activity, food choices and amounts)
    Regardless of the type of diabetes, regular and frequent testing of blood glucose levels is necessary.
    The benefit of the regular structured eating plan regardless of the type of diabetes involved is that it eases in planning for insulin or other medications.
    It is absolutely critical that those who profess to ” know” about diabetes get their facts straight and are abundantly clear as to whether it is type 1 or type2 they are discussing as they are VERY different conditions.

1. Anna

In addition to the above comments about the differences between diabetes 1 and 2, I wanted to add that it sounds like the friend in the video has trouble keeping blood sugars consistent or meals consistent, which BLE may help with a lot. However, whenever taking insulin, especially for type 1 diabetics, who always need to take some form, it is important that they have some form of rapid release sugar such as juice or a candy in an emergency where they for example take too much insulin for what and how much they ate. If they have too much insulin on board and their blood sugar drops it causes a “reaction” in which the person does need to eat or drink at least a little bit of something to raise blood sugar fast in addition to eating something that will raise blood sugar slowly at that time. It sounds like the person’s friend struggles a lot with balancing how much insulin to take with how much and what she is eating or how much activity or stress she is going through and so a more consistent diet will surely help, but it must be understood that a safety backup of having something that will raise blood sugar quickly available at all times is very important as well. I have really enjoyed the blogs so far but am a bit disappointed that Susan did not research a little more about type one diabetes before answering it.

16. Cheryl Sommardahl

I am a type 2 diabetic. My diabetic doctor has always told me to eat 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks. These meals are not to exceed 30 carbs & snacks, 15. BLE calls for no snacks so I am not sure what to do.

17. Bill

If you experience low blood sugar, You willneed to eat something. But hopefully you will get better at adjusting your meds

18. Tracie Lemmers

Ok, after listening and being told I’m prediabetic at age 43, my 2 hr after starting breakfast is still high (118-130) & after lunch is about the same numbers. Typically I eat the bootcamp weight loss BLE plan…so, is it best to tweek the plan by having no fruit no grain at any meal? How would walking a few blocks right after help without changing the plan? I have 90 lbs to shed too. Will I ever be able to eat berries, nuts, seeds together in a 4oz bowl of steel cut oats? I listen to Dr Hoel Fuhrman too. This is the end of my day 31. Thank you for listening and any wisdom you can provide!

19. Ellen

You are very confused about diabetes. People who have Type 1 diabetes do not make insulin and must inject insulin every day otherwise they will develop ketoacidosis and eventually die. This advice that you are giving is quite dangerous for people with Type 1 which is a serious chronic disease. This is unfortunate because your advice about eating lots of vegetables and planning our meals is really very good for everyone.

20. Gina

Hi. Please update this video or remove it. You’re a public figure with many viewers. The way you refer to I type 1 is incorrect and I wish you would correct this. My best friend is type 1. I can imagine that she will look at this and see your mistake and misunderstanding of her disease and stop listening to all the rest of the amazing things you have to teach. Food issues run deep when you have to treat your lows with sugar to live. Please research type 1. Please put together a better response for those with type 1. Please separate the way you discuss type 1 and type 2. They are very different diseases. Science.