Thin Vs. Fit Vs. Healthy

Why is it “Happy, THIN, and Free?” Why not “fit?” Or “healthy?” Watch this week’s vlog to hear my answer to this compelling question.

Comments

1. aileen

where can I find the Bright like e eating programme. What is my ideal weight at 5 ft 1

does hereditary have an influence on body weight and health factors eg bp

1. Margaret

Hi Susan, I joined your blog last week. I am 75years old, 5ft3inches tall, weigh 176 lbs.
      My question , am I too old to start your food plan?

1. MaryEllen Simmons

Margaret, I’m not Susan, my name is MaryEllen. I joined Susan’s BLE program the end of June and have lost 25 lbs. Girlfriend, I’m here to tell you…you’re definitely not too old. I’m 72-years young! I love this program because it has done for me everything Susan says it will. As Susan suggested early on in our program…surrender to the program…trust the process…and that’s exactly what I’ve and many others have done and continue to do. Best of luck to you!! 🙂

2. Sheila P.

Hi Margaret, You’re definitely not too old to do Bright Line Eating. I’m 76 years young and I joined the October 2015 Boot Camp. My weight then was 158.8 lbs. and today it’s 124.6 lbs! I’m 5′ 4″ tall. This is something I just know I can do the rest of my life! I have so much more energy than before I started. I had blood work done about a month ago and my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc., as well as my blood sugar levels are all down from where they were before I started.

3. Judy

HI, Margaret —

I’m 71 and just starting. I’m one inch taller than you and way more– ahem — endowed in the lb. department. I’m sure I’ll become trim and fit and healthy.

4. Dee

Hey Margaret. I’m 76 and heftier than you are. but I am on the plan and have lost 10-12 # depending on the day. Our age is a plus, I think, because we are old enough to know better and to have some life skills that may help. When I get DOWN to 176 I will be proud of myself! Then I will go on to lose more, since I am also 5ft 3″

2. Suzan H

Hi Aileen,

The place to start with Brightline Eating is to elimnate flours and sugars from your nutrition choices – yes, all sugars and all flours.

There are two ways to get the food plan. One is to join a boot camp and the other is the home study course.

Be aware that Brightline Eating is not just another diet! It’s a plan for healing our brains so that we are free from cravings and compulsions around food. It only takes a matter ofdays or weeks before a sort of brain fog lifts and the happiness really kicks in – because the dopamine receptorsin the brain regenerate once sugar and flour are eliminated.

Brightline is also a lifestyle of habits for sustaining our food plans and for coping with life issues that arise once we stop eating our old habitual foods. No one in the Brightline Community will tell you what you ought to weigh, so where you find it’s right size and shape can only be determined by you. Health factors like blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. improve rapidly with Brightline Eating. I did the Bootcamp in March and many of my fellow campers have had their doctors reduce or discontinue medications for things like blood pressure and thyroid.

Wishing you happiness and freedom!

1. Sharon

Hello, I was wondering how you can get the home study course that you mentioned?

1. Laurie Rickerd

Hi Susan and Team,
          I would like to get the Home Study also. How do I go about that?
          Thanks,
          Laurie

1. Carey

Hi, I have been following all the emails, blogs, etc… can not afford the boot camp so I too am wondering about how to get the Home study…and when is tech next boot camp? I feel like I get how to eliminate sugar but the flour seems much harder.

2. Riadh Ghanma

This was very much the topic of our meeting today,

3. Betsy

Interesting. I, also, dislike the word “thin”. I also avoid the word “skinny” even though I notice many women use it as a compliment. Having pursued every diet since my twenties- I am now 69- I understand that they all work in the short term. I maintain my weight at 10 pounds over my ideal pretty much using your principles. I am working on making a commitment to measure for portion control. Your program is for sure the long terms solution in a society that seems clueless. I use the word “lean” in my own affirmations, since thin does not really describe my goal. Your work is greatly needed and I wish you much success.

4. Riadh Ghanma

It is good to know about the cocoa powder

1. Jill

Yes, this was a revelation for me.

5. Vicky lindsay

Loved your message on thin but also love how my homemade mayo IS healthy- avacado oil, an egg and a little raw apple cider vinegar n healthy Redmond Real salt . Easy peasy in the blender or food processor and so delicious!
    Do love your messages. I eat pretty much Bight Line I’m sure but encourage some one who is obese with them .????
    Thanks.
    Vicky

1. Connie Seigler

Where do you get avocado oil?

1. Louise Pela

Costco sells it.

1. Elena

How about using a fresh Avocado? That way you won’t even need an egg.

2. Dee

I got mine at Costco as well.

2. Shirley

Ava Jane’s Kitchen has the best, healthiest, avocado oil on the planet. They are spiritually minded conscious stewards of their orchards. Check it out!

6. Sharlene

Loved your tone today Susan!

7. Susan

Thank you Susan, got a lot from your blog today!

8. JANNET WILLIAMS

what can you tell me about cocoa powder ?

9. JANNET WILLIAMS

what can you tell me about cocoa powder

10. Tonika

Thank you for explaining the context of “thin” within the work and mission of Bright Line. Although, I have not (yet) participated in the program, I have taken time off from working out these past 40 days to get to the size I want THEN resume my workout regimen. I feel soooooo much better doing it this way. And that’s coming from a former athlete who worked out like it was my job! This was awesome!

11. Ronna Berezin

Reasonable answer. I like that you never stray from yer focus; hence , the consistency and predictability; That said , the photos I saw of people who finish losing weight are scary bc they look grey and drawn… not as in thin , but as in frail and especially weak.

12. Maria Olmos

Loved the comment! I totally agree! Thank you!!

13. Bridget

Using the terms right and good are standards created by the man made world … There really is no right/ wrong .. Good/ bad…. There just “is”. Happy and thin aren’t equated with being free… Being free comes from the isness of who we are and the detachment from standards. The source of all suffering is attachment.

1. Mick

Spot on Bridget ! _/_

14. Joseph in Missoula

Absolutely Susan! There is a correlation between an overweight person losing weight and an improvement in health, and I would like to add a variation to that fact. People can be fat or slim and have metabolic syndrome, which is one or more of the following: diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, dementia, cancer. And one’s metabolic profile is the predictor used by the medical profession for the diseases of metabolic syndrome. Such profile is a cluster of five chronic conditions: obesity, diabetes, lipid problems such as low HDL and high triglycerides, hypertension, and cardiovascular (heart) disease. Now, and here’s the kicker: one’s chances of having an abnormal (sick) metabolic profile are doubled by being overweight. That said, the metabolic profile of 20% of thin people in the US is a sick one.
    All the above is from Dr. Robert Lustig’s fabulous book: Fat Chance. But the main thing that Robert Lustig,stands to learn from Susan Thompson is critical: That one can indeed Bright Line sugar, and in fact, doing so is critically necessary for anyone who wants to lose weight and can’t.

15. Sharon

I love listening to your vlogs! They give me so much hope. I haven’t yet done a boot camp or home program but I intend to. I think I”m just trying to build up the courage to start and know I can see it through and be successful. So many things in the past haven’t worked for me. I don’t want to fail again.

1. Sherry

Sharon, I was where you are at one time. My thought for you is, if you keep putting it off, it won’t happen. Just do it!!
      Sorry to be so blunt.

16. Judi M

Happy, Thin and Free is a phrase that originated in Overeaters Anonymous years ago. Because Susan has a history with OA, I assume that is where she coined it from. In OA we believe sugar and flour are the sources of our addiction to food. There is no formal food plan to follow, that is why I was happy to see that Susan has defined a food plan to help those who really want to eliminate the triggers. Remember, stay in the day and one day at a time and you will be happy, thin and free.

17. Stacey Stokes

This was a great blog. It’s the first time I really understood what the course was about (I haven’t taken it yet) and now I’m even more eager to do it. Now I know I’ll go into it with the correct focus. Super helpful. Thank you.

18. Stephanie

Why do you say that cacao is addictive? Are you referring to the caffeine/theobromine content?

19. Esmarie Cooper

Thanks Susan, great answer to the question of Brooke. As always, very informative and always something to learn and apply to my bright line journey. Have a super duper BL day. Love and hugs to you and your great team.

20. Carola

Yess…how can i get the home study course, because i am from germany ?

1. kristie smith

home study course.

1. Helen Roberts

Why isn’t there any info re: the Home Study Course, i.e. cost, duration, etc.? I am
        asking for those who have asked me. I am a BLE member and couldn’t be happier!!
        Love the program and Susan even more!!!

21. Betty

What is this home study course about. I want to know. It sounds like I might be interested in it.

22. Gail

WOW! I loved your focus and ability to communicate the program. I think, like Brooke, that we are “all over the place” trying to incorporate too much too soon. Thanks for the re-focus and your great ability to present it.

23. Jayne Del Rio

You, my friend, are a great friend in showing what the triggers are in what we eat. Your hair looks so healthy. Your skin looks absolutely radiant. I appreciate how you can think thoroughly and then speak so succinctly. You have created a plan that sounds so simple. I hope to join your next boot camp, as I am not so well disciplined in BLE as of yet. I am trying though. What I need to do is only weigh myself once a month and not worry about wasting the groceries that were bought when not on the BLE program. Your words are always so encouraging. I am so glad you have a team so dedicated in the success of others in bondage to what we eat.

24. Peggy

I want to know about the home study, too.

25. Tom Summers

Susan,
    I would like to know why you are such a fan of Ari Whitten. He says we should eat a lot of salt and that meat is good for us.
    You must be aware that evidence from research shows that both of these things are bad for us. I am not providing any links to articles to prove this but if you don’t already know this i would be happy to provide links to the research that shows it.
    At least two of the books in the resources section of this website show ample evidence that all animal products are VERY BAD for our health. The books are “The China Study” and “Whole”. I haven’t read the other books but perhaps some of them show it as well.

1. Tom Abbott

Just for the record, typical table salt is almost entirely sodium chloride, and it is the excess sodium that is “bad” for us. Ancient bed sea salt, for instance, contains a mixture of mineral salts that is much closer to the mineral balance of our blood, and studies show that it is actually “good” for us. Like sugar and flour, it is not the natural form of the substance that is harmful, but the highly processed version of it.
      Also, I’m not inviting a contest of “dueling research”, but there are other studies that show that the addition of animal products along with a lot of plant-based foods actually has many health advantages. I’m speculating here, but perhaps my DNA shows a little more carnivore tendencies while other folks are more herbivore-like. There are very few things in this life that are universally applicable – there just ain’t no “one size fits all.”

1. Tom Summers

Actually the evidence is clear. Salt in excess of what we get without adding any additional salt is bad for us. Go to nutritionfacts.org and do a search on salt.
        There is clear evidence that animal products in excess of 5% of our calories is bad for us. Read The China Study for ample proof of this. Your statement “There just ain’t no “one size fits all” is correct if you are talking about pants but not if you are talking about diet. A diet made up of whole plant foods is best for everyone with the ability to chew, swallow and digest food.
        I know as I write this I sound inflexible. It is just that I have studied a lot on the subject.
        Please do point me to the research that show that salt is good for us, and the more than 5% of your calories from meat is good for us. We both should be willing to change our minds if evidence shows us we are wrong.

26. Vivian

I really like the idea of “Happy, Right-Sized and Free”!

27. Tom Abbott

Here is one man’s perspective, that perhaps gives insight into EVERY (American) man’s perspective.
    “Thin” does not sound very “manly”. It sounds a bit feminine in our culture. Victoria’s Secret underwear models are thin. Manly men are “fit” or “muscular” or “hunks”.
    This is not a criticism, it is merely an observation … BLE in general has a feminine feel to it. Boot Camp lectures & VLOGs are done by a woman, in a woman’s style, to an audience of (mainly) women, often addressing issues that are of interest to (mainly) women. I’ve been a member of Overeaters Anonymous (BLE’s precursor), and most OA meetings are populated by (mainly) women. In fact, my “home group” in OA consisted of 16 women and me. (I made sure to talk to any male 1st time attendees to tell them about an all-male group meeting that I also attended.)
    This speaks more to our culture than it does to BLE (or OA). We men are raised to be the independent “Marlboro Man,” the lone man who rides into town to get all the bad guys, the one astronaut who saves the universe, etc. In that atmosphere, needing help seems like a sign of weakness – as are tears and other emotions (other than anger). It’s tough to get an American man to admit that he needs help – and tougher still to get him to admit it in the presence of women.
    Fortunately for me, I’m perfectly comfortable in the company of women – I can be vulnerable in a room full of them and still feel manly. Heck, I even have a pink shirt that I think looks pretty good on me. 🙂
    I’m not sure that that helps anybody else – but it helped me to write it.

1. Hamilton Cue

Hi
      Thanks for all of the health comments.
      Unfortunately, I do not have time to read all of the good things that are clogging up my mail box.
      Please remove me from your mailing list.
      Regards
      Hamilton

28. Martha Cichelli

Thanks for this Vlog, Susan. This one was great. I am in my second boot camp, so I understand the eating plan, etc. but I was feeling a bit guilty about not exercising. You’ve given me permission to delay dealing with that and that helps a lot.

Martha

29. Wendy Dillard

Susan – I really appreciated how you broke apart the distinctions between the Bright Line Eating program’s intention to decrease the food craziness vs getting thin vs. getting fit vs. getting healthy. Wow… I never thought about it from these different perspectives. And now that I’ve heard your thoughts on these things, my thinking has shifted in a positive direction. I feel mentally freer, just thinking about this. In my mind, I’ve now separated being in my right-sized body, from getting fit & healthy.

30. Jody

This really helped me !
    Thank you .. I am tremendously
    Thankful to you for your work!
    I am interested in the Bright line
    Program. How can I start the program?

31. Norma

Thank you, Susan.
    Great information.

32. Jenna C Reed Livingston

This is great information. I feel guilty about not exercising every day I skip my regular workout (whether it be yoga or anything else). To be honest, exercise makes me feel a lot better mentally and physically. I just need to find the balance between working out too hard and then getting hungrier as a result. It’s taken awhile but I now realize that exercise does nothing for your overall weight loss/gain. I would be very interested to hear what workouts are working for those in the BLE community.

And totally on a sidenote: I think Susan needs to create a BLE cookbook!!

33. LaVone

I am new to BLE and I am super excited about this program. I wish I would have known about it years ago, but now is my time. I love the word “THIN” because the rewards are to get THIN aka Right Size Body & the results are Healthy. I will start the program Monday, I am reading the book now & will be done by the weekend & I am excited about my life being changed.

I agree its a lot to work out & focus on eating too and I work out, but I don’t loose a lot o weight & its goes up & down so I am willing to give his a try!