Response to the New York Times Biggest Loser Article

About a month ago, an article about research on fourteen Biggest Loser contestants and their post-show weight gain was published in the New York Times. I received a flood of requests to respond to the article. Is long-term weight loss really possible? Or does the body fight you all the way by lowering metabolism and leptin levels? Watch this week’s vlog to hear my thoughts.

Comments

1. Debbie Meyer

You hit the nail right on the head.

1. Mary Getten

Hey Susan,
      Your metabolism hasn’t slowed, you’re not just not expending the same calories through activity. That’s totally different.

2. Catriona

Wow, Susan, that was a very enlightening and common sense response to the New York Times article. I’ve loved listening to your weekly vlogs,and also to the web sites that you recommend, such as the ocean Robbins interviews. I’ve learned so much about my body and my mind, and how our subconscious mind can and does sabotage our conscious mind if we’re not aware of how we teuly feel about ourselves unconsciously. Please keep those recommendations coming.

3. Gina

Hello, i just started 2-3 wks ago receiving Susan’s emails and vlogs. I hear her speak of her “bright-lifers” and such and amwondering when/how do I become a Bright Lifer? I understand she is slowly educating those of us who have given their emails and signed up. But i am almost literally “chomping at the bit” to get started with this new way of taking charge of my health and weight, etc.

Did I miss something in the sign-up? Because I’M VERY READY!!!?

1. marilyn

Yes, Gina, she is referring to those who signed up for her boot camp, and that has been filled. However, I think her free videos are available and they will get you started. Maybe google to find them. You might find them on Utube. You will learn about leptin, cravings, will power, etc and what bright line eating is about. She is very enlightening and helpful. Sign up for her weekly vlog as well.

1. Stephanie

Gina, a new bootcamp begins late in June. She will be sending out an email next week to watch a webinar and get more information about the bootcamp and Bright Line Eating. This is a fantastic program that WORKS!

2. Sunshine99

Gina, Bright Lifer refers to those who have completed the Bright Line Eating boot camp and want to continue utilizing the coaching, etc. The name for that group is Bright “Lifers.” It is a separate group that has a modest fee to belong to.

4. Phyllis Plotkin

Very interesting and thank you so much for sharing your response to the article.

5. Pamela Fornell

Very interesting. I became interested in Bright Line Eating after I realised that we humans might have some of the same challenges as other animals. I have horses and I have known for years that horses can be insulin resistent – their health issues with this are a lot like ours.
    I am working on implimenting Bright Line Eating and have seen some positive things in my health. For one thing I no longer seem to have muscle or joint pain. This is something that also happened to me when I did a one and a half year long stint of Raw Food eating. I lost 50 pounds then but have put most of it back on after I stoped the Raw Food eating. I am wondering if the lack of flour is why this is? I have never had much of a sweet tooth so have never eaten a lot of sweet foods but I have always eaten bread and flour products (I live in Norway where we have MUCH better bread than is the case in the US).

6. Patricia O'Connor

Great vlog, Susan. I have been a Bright Lifer and sticking to my bright lines since October and what you say is true. I have lost over 50 lbs and my cravings have gone away. I can get hungry but there is a clear distinction between having cravings and feeling hungry, one can be satisfied with a cup or two of herbal tea and one cannot. Also, I am in a groove of eating beautiful satisfying and delicious food which before, when I was eating flour and sugar, just didn’t taste the same. My son recently asked me if I think I can keep this way of eating up and I replied, ” If I continue to remove flour and sugar, yes. If I don’t, no”. Simple as that. I am a happy camper.

7. Janet Amos

Good information, thank you for your insight.

8. Megha Nancy Buttenheim

SUSAN – once again you nailed it. As a brand new Bright Lifer, I am SO SO proud to be on this love boat with YOU! Thank you for all your study, research, and dedication. Blight Line Eating has changed my life. And anyone reading this, Susan did NOT ask me to write this….. Love love love, Megha

9. Judith

Thank you Susan for all that information. I would also like to say that the BLE plan seems very much in line with anti- cancer eating and many other healthy habits we are now being encouraged to eat, including the diet to stave off Alzheimers. I also see it as a total life commitment. Not something to just drop when all the weight is lost.

10. Patricia

In terms of research, I suggest looking into Ray Cronise’s work on metabolism. Very solid scientist, formerly at NASA, doing incredibly interesting work on nutrition, fasting, mild cold stress, etc.–all of which effect metabolism, obviously. Great interview with him on the Rich Roll podcast, might be a good place to start if you are not familiar.

11. Jose

Hey Susan,

I continue to applaud you for standing up and communicating the “hard truth” that many people need to hear.
    It is the “hard truth” that will enable people to live “Happy, Free and Thin.”

Many weight control “gurus” are laughing on their way to their banks with the money from people to whom they communicate what is “hardly true”.

Susan, your passion is a blessing to all of us!

12. Julie

I’ve been doing BrightLine Eating since October 2015. Forty days ago, with summer gardening activity in addition to my regular activity/exercise, I was frequently hungry. We worked out a plan that added MORE food (to an already impressive amount); now I use the standard weight loss plan plus 1/4 protein at breakfast and 2 extra ounces veggies at lunch. I added up the calories in a typical day’s menu and found I was eating around 1550. Depending on my food choices, it could range a couple hundred calories either way. Is my metabolism shot? Not at all. Over this period of time, my average weight loss is 1.2 pounds a week. And that is after losing consistently for the last eight months.

13. kathleen dalton

thank you for responding to that article which was very discouraging. the information you gave was helpful and hopeful . I am wondering how many calories you eat a day to stay at 113 lbs. ? I so enjoy your blogs and they are inspirational. Thank you .

Kathleen

14. Laurie Swanson

Hi! Why do you always begin your vlogs by visually discounting yourself and your message by rolling your eyes and shaking your head back and forth when you say “welcome to the vlog” ? It makes it appear as if you don’t feel your vlog is worth watching – but your vlogs are awesome!!! Don’t discount yourself!!!

1. Deborah

Susan’s vlogs truly are awesome! Your point of view about her introductory comments and rolling of her eyes, is taken Laurie, however I must respectfully disagree with that part of your comment. I don’t find it dismissive of herself in any way. She’s just being herself. Her own lovable personality is shining through! Being in the eye of a camera would have its own stressors. I think that what makes her approach so appealing is that she’s genuinely, herself! You gotta love that!

1. Jose

Deborah,
        Hear, hear…I am in full agreement with you. I am inspired by Susan’s passion, energy, intelligence and communication skills. I don’t interpret anything about her opening approach to be “self-dismissive”.

Laurie, you will soon come to realize that few people are as committed to and convinced of the “truth” they share as is Susan. With no malice intended by my next comment: “If the opening portion of the vlog, distracts you, maybe it would help to keep your eyes closed for the opening minutes. Anyway, continued success on your journey to “Free, Happy and Thin”.

2. Joanna Free

Yes, Laurie! I’ve thought that, too! I’ve even found it off-putting…. And when I watched the video today I thought, Wow… that is such a mirror for me. I don’t do the eye-roll, head shake and that tone of voice, but I see how I, too, discount the value of who I am and what I offer. I appreciate seeing such a strong visual of what that can look like to an observer. My sense is that Susan does see the value in what she teaches… maybe this is the way that fear and awkwardness show up, too. I love that, whatever is happening, she just keeps making the videos! I’m (still!) working up the courage to do the same for people who are kicking tobacco (a passion and offering of mine). I so appreciate your comment. You said it well. And thank you, Susan, for showing up and teaching, week after week. We’re off white sugar and flour at our house, and that alone is so powerful!

3. Sue

I enjoyed doing the Bright Line Boot Camp last Oct. I easily obtained my goal wt and then some. But my energy crashed. I was use to working out and it was hard to continue on my usual workout program at the end of the program and for months after.. Your not suppose to workout during the program. I did a daily yoga practice and walked the dogs daily. I think that many of Susan’s vlogs show she is tired. This vlog she has more energy which she is now following the energy blueprint program. Studies also show that exercise is more important than weight loss. I want to keep my muscles and live an energetic lifestyle and finding the right balance may mean weighing a bit more, eating a bit more instead of watching the scale.

4. kathleen dalton

Laurie: I have felt the same way about how Susan starts her flog and I find it off-putting. I thought I was the only one that didn’t like the way she opens her vlog. It never stops me from watching or recognizing that her advice is inspiring but Susan, maybe you can find a different way to start the vlog.

5. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Hi Laurie,

I heard of your comment about a week ago, and I’m just now coming around to respond to it. I promise you, my eye-rolling behavior is not self-dismissive. (If you knew me well, you would have zero doubt of this. I don’t know if I have a self-dismissive bone in my body. My flaws roll the other way–I tend toward self-aggrandizement and unwarranted confidence.) I’m not actually sure what my eye rolling is about, to tell you the truth. I think it might be part flirtation (I’m very flirty), part thinking (we look up and to the side when we’re thinking) and part, “you know what I’m about to say so we’ll all just say it together” behavior. Thanks for pointing it out, though. It’s given me some good food for thought, so to speak.

With love,
      Susan

1. Nancy

Hey Susan……for what it’s worth, I happen to LOVE your opening! I find it playful and fun……kind of like ‘here I am again!” I believe your energetic, loving personality shines through. Don’t listen to the naysayers……cuz the fact that they are criticizing and judging you says more about them than it does about you. Keep on just bein’ yourself!

15. Allyn Babitch

Bingo, Susan. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply, as usual. Here’s to abundant eating!

16. Deborah

Susan the world needs your insights. I saw a Weightloss program on TV where individuals were psychologically whipped into exercising beyond what seemed reasonable or healthy, starved with meager calories and set up for sesationalistic scenes. It was disgusting. I like your comments about needing to adjust one’s habits and cues in one’s own environment, and satiating the body with a flood of phytonutrients. This would treat the body with dignity, respect and give it the resources to adjust, heal, survive and thrive! The body would “remember” that too! Love you Susan Peirce Thompson!

17. Michelle B

Dr. Fuhrman says the metabolism also slows as a result of eating a very high nutrient plant-based diet and that this is favorable for longevity, because the byproducts of metabolism cause aging. He says the goal is to be able to eat small amounts of food without getting too thin. The whole idea that a slow metabolism is a bad thing and needs to be increased disregards this longevity advantage.

18. Bobbi

Fantastic as usual!!!! I to am impatiently waiting for the next boot camp. Because of you Susan I am off sugar and flour for 6 weeks. I’ve never been able to do that! I know now that I will be successful FINALLY. Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait!!!!

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Yaayyy! Bobbi! Congratulations on your 6 weeks without sugar and flour! The next Boot Camp is right around the corner. Hopefully you got the first of the Food Freedom videos in your in-box from me today. This is how it begins! Registration starts with Video 4. Hip Hip, HOORAY!!!
      xoxo
      Susan

19. Ronna Berein

Great explanation… thorough and believable. The only way your participants would slip into the situation of that of the biggeat losers’ is if they got bored or restless enough ( the way ex smokers get) and they gained some weight and figured the way most OCD’s figure ( in extremes) and thought all is lost , so what the hell , and they continued their former binging behavior, Sure you have things in place for that event, but after time ( and time is the key element here ) OCD becomes more powerful than good sense and or advice! I wish you luck bc u have a formidable task ahead, and I respect your effort.

20. Kathy

When is the next boot camp? I would love to participate.

Thanks,
    Kathy

1. Jenny

I want to join the next Bright line eating camp. How much does it cost?

21. Janice Thomson

You’re amazing, Susan. I was a February 2015 bootcamper, never a good communicator and a reluctant and resistant contributor to the facebook group. But I have believed in you from the moment I committed and while I didn’t have that much to lose – only 5kgs, I think – the renunciation of flour and sugar in my diet has been the most peaceful and effective decision I have made towards my wellbeing. I love your vlogs. I love your sincerity and your science. I have other issues to fight and there are many battles to be fought, but my bright lines are sacrosanct and I thank you for them.

22. Jenny Gaff

When does the next Bright line eating camp begin? How much does it cost?

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Jenny, get on my email list if you’re not already, and ALL the info you could possibly want about the Bright Line Eating Boot Camp comes out in Video 4 of the Food Freedom video series. Video 1 was released today. Learning about the Boot Camp is a journey in and of itself. Happy watching!

xoxo
      Susan

23. Tanya Gioia

Susan
    Thank you for this video. It addresses the problem of american over eating in a thoughtful and hopeful wan. Addiction to white sugar, flour, chemically created foods can be solved by the same method that drug and alcohol addiction is solved. Thank you so much for bringing this program to the internet.

24. Keri Aaver

Are Sugar Alcohols ok? I see them listed on low carb protein bars.

25. Jill

The boot camp is 997

26. Christine

Thanks for your vlog. Always good… and informative. Love them to bits 🙂
    I watched a biggest loser show several years ago and I was shocked by the amount of emotional and physical stress they put the contestants through. Surely the cortisol produced was counter productive. I sat through the series, but never again. Just the mere thought of the show sends my cortisol through the roof. Lol

27. Margaret

Susan,
    You said that losing weight on the Bright Line Plan should not hurt your metabolism. I believe that! Do you think that it would work for someone who has already damaged their metabolism???

28. Cynthia Jennison

My question: if you wrecked your metabolism and leptin levels, can you return them to normal through appropriate eating? If so, how does that work? Do you have to increase food gradually?

1. Margaret

YES! My question, too!!

2. Patty S

You can do BLE with plant based foods or animal products.

29. Brit Evensen

Good vlog! When you talke about rich, nutrient food in BLE, is it only plant based or is it also proteins like meat and fish to it whitch do not rise bloodsugar?

1. Margaret

Another good question!! ???

30. Cynthia

Thank you so much for Vlogging this! I was really upset after that article. This gave me some real hope

31. Sylvia

You are so honest honest , I feels that you are so real .thank a million. Sylvia from Canada

32. Marsha

I just watched a few videos and an interview she did. My question is about weighing food. How do you weigh it and is it based on weight ? Also with fruits I assume it’s best to go with lower in sugar fruits

33. Mercedes Foligna

I will tell you this again: thank God that I found you. Thank God that I can speak English so that I can understand you. Thank God that I was ready to listen to your words. I hope I can join a boot camp some time in my life. I love you, Susan.
    Mercedes

34. Esther

Hi Susan
    I don’t understand how whole grain flour,that I can even grind myself from different grains, is similar to ground drugs.The grains have not been processed.
    Thanks