Honesty Check-In: Eating Out At Restaurants

Three months ago, I made a commitment to get really honest about my quantities when eating out at restaurants, and to report back to you on how I did. You can find out how successful I was at the challenge in this week’s vlog.

Comments

1. Joanne

I am so with you!! I’m all about the quantity. I’m a foodie. With restaurant food portions being so large these days, I had a habit at one time of immediately dividing my restaurant plate in two. I would eat half then take the other half home in a doggie bag – I could rationalize it that “I can always eat it later if I’m still hungry.” Most times it would be my lunch the next day. But, all-you-can-eat buffets are my downfall! I feel like I have to eat way past being full to feel like I’ve got my dollars worth. Now, I’m trying to instill a habit of eating a full plate of salad before I dive into the rest of the buffet.

1. joe mitchell

Joanne. Sweetie, here’s another bright line, NEVER eat at a buffet restaurant, you are just setting yourself up for failure. I know because I’m just like you, I now simply refuse to eat at those restaurant, or if there is a choice I always order off the menu. I cannot be trusted near a buffet.

2. Megha

Susan Darlin: You have me at HELLO with this vlog! I LOVE LOVE LOVE you! You are just like me (except I am a 7, not a 10 on the S. scale)! I am a portions girl and love to be stuffed! SIGH. HOW wonderful that my girl crush does the same thing! HAHAHAH! I have thought about you these three months, wishing you well. I hoped you would follow up with your pledge. THANK YOU! I am SO inspired by your check in, three weeks before I am off to Australia from the the east coast. It is awesome! I will check in with my eating out too and make a similar graph. I AM SO SO proud of you! “I love you like a love song, baby!” All best from your new Bright Lifer, Megha

3. Megha

PS You look GORGEOUS in your outfit AND your face is all radiant!!!

4. Annie Hooker

OHHH MY GOD. The synchronicity of the universe boggles my mind sometimes. I have been waiting for your follow up on this topic because it hit home for me SO deeply when you vlogged about it a few months ago. Ironically, I am actually scheduled for coaching with Molly TODAY on THIS EXACT SUBJECT on the BLH call. So amazing that this vlog would show up today. I would like to figure this out for myself.. I eat out about 3x a week as well and have a very difficult time being present and “online” as you say – and quantities are my most powerful addiction. Thank you as always Susan!

5. JoAnn Bonamicp

What perfect timing for me, Susan. OMG you clarified my angst and damn it I guess I am on that narrower tract.
    Thank you ? ? ?

6. Ellie Franklin

Your 20 honest days to start which turned to a combination of honest and less honest days is exactly the ebb and flow I feel in my bright lines. So important to do those personal check-ins with my Integrity. Otherwise I get less and less honest until I go totally off the rails and then sit there stuck beside the tracks.
    xxoo Ellie

1. Barbara

Dear Susan, The phrase ” Honesty begins with my food” really resonated with me. You are so incredibly amazing, a so adorable in this VLOG! Your friend was so wise to tell you to go back to bed, sometimes we just need permission. This topic really hit me, I ate out on Monday & ate more than I should have even though all BLE approved food. Funny I was up . 8 lbs two days later, the only week since very beginning of BLE in October, I’ve seen an increase. I can’t get away with anything either! Thanks for the topic! Love you so much!

7. Lidija

Whether I eat good healthy food or really bad food the biggest problem for me are guantities. Always have been. And when I let go of that extra food I don’t really need it makes the biggest difference for me at the end. I’ve done that before and I’m doing that again. I feel like I need to, it is very liberating and it takes a lot of honesty with myself.

8. Megha

PS You look GORGEOUS in your outfit AND your face is all radiant!!!
    AND….
    of course I remember your vlog from three months ago. BRRR: it was cold: I was on the beach at Siesta Key, Florida. I was taking a walk with my I phone, a brand new Bright Liner at Harbor House. I listened to your accountability with great respect for your disclosure. I have sent you METTA, loving kindness, for your pledge ever since. SO once again – I will follow your path because it makes so much sense! On the new Bright Life FB, I have found a NEIGHBOR here in the Berkshires who joined BLE back in October! We are going to have a bright line meal asap. Watch out, Susan Pearce Thompson, you are gonna be SO SO SO SO famous! Move over, Oprah:)

9. Riva Danzig

Yes! Get more sleep BUT:
    “The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
    Don’t go back to sleep!
    You must ask for what you really want.
    Don’t go back to sleep!
    People are going back and forth
    across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
    The door is round and open
    Don’t go back to sleep!”
    –Rumi

Love you, Susan. Thanks, as always, for living your integrity in public. xo

10. Christiniam

Thank you Susan, for the Vlog… I LOVE your Honesty… YES the road gets narrower whatever the aspects of our experiences we “work on” ! NO… We can’t go back and I have lived your steps and understand what you mean… every word… Thank you for the Inspiration you are and the courage you have developped… Your Life Mission is Beautiful and helpful to so many ! Being Perfect is a Great Vision… the moment you attain it, you leave the earth plane as you no longer need to be here… Until then and if you wish to still participate longer into the Mission of
    help you have chosen… ‘Imperfection’ may still be part of the game for sometimes… This too in your shared experience is a help for others… We are here to LOVE ourself/ves UNCONDITIONALLY… This is our only true reason for being here so lets climb up step by step… I send you Lots fo loving Wishes. Christiniam

11. Joseh

My takeaway: “…honesty begins with the food…what you do with your food is what you do with everything else in your life…”
    So true! Thanks for saying that Susan!
    Joseph in Missoula

12. Christina

“Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.”

13. Laura

Thank you! I do remember the vlog and I relate so much bc I too don’t have an off switch. When I’m not honest it really does stay with me and I really appreciated the analogy of the road getting narrower in recovery and in healing. So true and you can’t go back when you are aware. You can’t unknow something. Again thank you!

1. Karen J

“…you can’t go back when you are aware. You can’t unknow something.”
      Yes, ^^^ this!!!
      My ‘journey’ is about things other than my food, but Susan, you are such an inspiration – Thank you!

Blessings to all! ~

14. Gerry

Your honesty about the process and your feelings brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

15. Annie

Thank you for your honesty! You are a great role model. Love

16. Melissa

Amazing, astonishing. You sharing is touching me – and others – in such profound, life-changing ways. I am so thankful I found you and your tribe.

17. Susan

Wow! Most powerful blog for me ever!! Yes, universal timing ceases to be amazing as you are as well!! Thank thank you thank you. I am not right in the bright line program yet, although i follow you like no other. I cried because I connect to your message today and I soooo needed that connection, understanding how serious this is to my body, mind & spirit. I luv luv your statement: If I am not honest with my food, I am not honest with myself. I am committed and made a Decision to better my health with food. Blessings, and thank you again! Susan

18. Lauren

Thank you! I. COMPLETELY. Relate!

19. Brenda

Susan, you have a way of being truthful that is so pure. Thank you. It’s amazing to be with you on this journey. I’m reminded that it’s ok to be human. Just because you are the ‘leader’ doesn’t mean you are exempt. In the past I thought I needed to be perfect before I assumed a leadership role. You have taught me I just need to be honest with myself. Frankly it was much easier to quit smoking. This food addiction stuff is way trickier. Thank you for your example and willingness to share your journey. I had the illusion it was easier the longer you’re in the program. As you said, the road just gets more narrow.

20. Dee

Your honesty amazes me! You startled me with “and I was sleeping atound”. What you have laid down, drugs, booze, sex and now food is truly amazing. You have become my coach. The best I have come actoss in decades.

21. Jane

Susan, you are an absolute inspiration. Every time I watch one of your blogs I get re-inspired. Maintaining bright lines is never-ending journey, and it’s a comfort to know I’m not alone on the BLE train. My first experience with BLE and restaurants was disastrous, so I’m always apprehensive when I know I’m going out for dinner. I pray I’ll reach a point where MY graph will look as good as yours. Thank you for giving me hope.

22. Lorna Thornton

This was so helpful. I live in a large senior community (all good cooks) and there are buffets at every excuse where everyone brings a dish – at least a couple of times a week. I’ve been staying away but have decided to try bringing something I really like and can eat, and then use your rating scale for how well I stick to my guidelines on the other foods available. What makes this hard is there are always many desserts plus homemade breads etc., but I will try your 1-5 honesty system to see if it will help my resolve.

23. Helen

You look fab and the flower reminded me of Billie Holiday who always wore one. So talented
    but burdened with her drug addiction, to the extent of having to wear long gloves when per-
    forming to hide the needle marks.You are such an inspiration to us foodies, the best role
    model for us. Appreciate you and love you. And always look forward to your uplifting blogs!

24. David M Tuttle, PhD

Susan,
    Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your personal challenges in becoming more honest with food and life. My son developed a technology that you my want to explore in your “mission’ to help everyone be more honest. Although originally crafted for veterans to tell their (sometimes horrific) stories, the StoryTagz system allows participants to share or not share their private stories and then only with those they choose to invite. The stories are encrypted, streamed to the cloud as they are recorded (audio/video and or text) and permanently archived with a dat-time stamp. Take a look at http://www.storytagz.com to see if this resonates with you.

25. Rosie

That was SO helpful and I thank you for your honesty. I really relate to your journey through giving up other substances and then finding the road getting narrower – and oh damn – finding its time to look at food.

I am not a bright lines boot camper – I’m in OA and it’s going brilliantly – but I spent four years messing about on the edges before I was really willing to look at my portions, to plan, to get honest, and to exclude sugar. Naturally when I did some freedom and some weight loss started, which is still going on (yeay!!). It was a painful four years though. I think Bright Lines are a great idea and I can see it’s helping many, many people, which is fantastic.

It’s very helpful to me to hear your vlog and I hope you won’t mind me dropping by each week to hang out with you all. Thank you!

26. Dorothea

Well done dear Susan! I knew you could do it.
    Never mind your falling back to bad habits, as you explained you can learn a lot from such occasions.
    Sending all my love from Klagenfurt and wishing you every success Dorothea ?

27. Christine

Funny how I think that people who do not struggle with food or portions honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. I can identify with everything you’re saying, however my husband would think that we’re both crazy, unable to understand the constant struggle or turmoil that results when making poor choices with food. Thank you for your honesty and your willingness to show all those who struggle with food that we are not alone.

28. Rachel

Thank you for your honest assessment speaking directly to my spirit. I know in my heart I really need consider Bright Line Eating. I am just not there yet mentally or financially. However, your comment late in the Vlog about what you do with food and your honesty around it affecting every other area of your life struck a strong chord in me. YIKES! I so need to re-listen and soak all those insights into my spirit. I so appreciate your honesty and your transparency.

29. Terry

The flower looks lovely! Thanks for your vlog.

30. Claudette

Thx for your honesty. You mention often quantities of i.e. veggies. What are the correct quantities for : veggie serving, salad (mostly greens), skinless chicken breast, beef filet, white fish?
    How can I overeat on greens? Or broccoli?
    I am 5’7″, now weigh 145 #’s.
    Did I miss a vlog addressing this?
    Please reply

31. Caryl

Grey Sheet Anonymous has the simple answer – just take a small scale and use cup measurements for portion size – 8oz = 1 cup. All that stressing you describe seems well – STRESSFUL – counter-productive…honestly!!!

32. Donna

Thank you for the vlog, Susan. You put to words the sruggle I was having last week. Thank you for the coaching on Bright Lifers call. Honesty is the key to everything. Some of us (myself ) have what I call “instant Karma”. I have always received immediate feedback from the Universe when I strayed off my path. When I have strayed from honesty a malstrom rages in my body, mind and soul. When that happens I’m shaky everywhere in my life. Again, thank you for sharing. Love and Light dear lady..

33. Ryan

Very good video! I didn’t even realize I had an issue with restaurants until you went through your thinking and I thought… OH YEAH.. that’s what I do. I’m a 6 on the scale. This is a new journey for me (being on your site and trying again after a couple years of not trying to lose weight) and it’s great to hear that you are still vulnerable even after you have overcome your challenge physically.

34. Kathy

The saboteur voice in my head cries, “She’s onto me! How did she know?!”

35. kayls

This is so true to me. I’m a ten and if I eat even a piece of brocolli over my weight portions I end up feeling devasted. To some people it sounds pathetic…but for me its just how it is. All four bright lines are so important. I cry a lot over the fact that I can’t just go back…I want every day to go back but its just not ok. We walk the narrower path now.
    I love ya Susan! Thank you!

36. Iris

I would totally use a scale at the White House! Never doubt, weigh it out!

37. Sherelle

Wow…thank you so much for your honesty!! I hated what you said but only because I too know deep down what you said is the truth, so thank you for expressing at the end how you initially felt about that :). I want to pretend what you say in your VLOGs don’t hit home, however, as a 10 on the suceptibility scale, they resonate like nothing has before. Thank you so much for your complete honesty! Oh, and thanks to you, my young children will now grow up NOT addicted to sugar!

38. Leanne

Your comments on the narrowing of the road made me cry. I’m about six months out of cancer treatment, and working toward a healthy body weight and yes the road does narrow alot the further you walk it. But on the other hand, I’d rather be happy and healthy and in my case, alive, and accepting of the grief that comes with growth and change. Thanks for the link to Ari’s Energy Blueprint. Limiting my hours of eating to 10 hours a day has done more for my energy levels, and done it faster post chemo than anything else I have tried.

39. Laurie

You are right. Wide is the road that leads to destruction; narrow is the road that leads to life. Only a few find it. (Matt 7:13-14)

1. Sherry

❤️

40. Kandi Osborne

Perfect! Thank You!

41. Caroline

Hi Susan,I’ts not been long following you,but truth be told…you’re the real deal! Your truth resonates with me.Although I’ve made progress,I still feel like a slave and I cry for freedom.Humility speaks and we hear you,humility is truth.
    Sometimes,my heart or soul(both) need something(?) and when this is not being satisfied and I’ve given all I can,food is that lie so available and I deceive myself momentarily,too many times.what’s missing?
    I need to know portions and specific foods to follow a healthy eating plan…do you offer this Susan?
    So grateful!!! Thankyou!!! You’re a gem! When checking my e-mails I look for yours first and I’m not disappointed. That’s unusual Susan,like you!

1. Sherry

I would love a food plan too. Sometimes I think I just need someone to tell me what to do.

42. Anna

Dear Susan,
    First off all, I really appreciate the work you do and your honesty. One question came into my mind. How narrow has the road to be, to be narrow enough? If you have so strong feelings about eating extra vegetables when having nice dinner with your daughter. Why is that? There is a limit when you have to say: I am good enough for this life. Because actually we are free all the time. No matter what our mind says to us.
    I wish you all the best.

43. Jeannie

Okay, you are in my head again Susan!!!

44. Gill Kay

Wonderful, honest blog, it’s like you know what’s in my head. I don’t have a weight problem, my issue is one of hyper sensitivity around food. I can spend up to three days in bed being sick because I ate the wrong thing. Indeed, the road is pretty narrow now but it helps that I have found what works for me most of the time. I have had to ignore so much advice about what is ‘healthy food’ and realise what is healthy for some people, isn’t healthy for me. I now eat beef, dripping, lard, gammon etc. and lots of vegetables, herbs, spices, very little fruit and have never felt better but I know this is just the opposite of what would work for some people. Our guts are unique and I have had to learn through a lot of trial and error what works for me.

45. Riadh

as if you are talking about us all, we in Jordan have a small community following a food plan and that plan is supported by emotional and spritual plans to fight food addiction, following acorn school

46. Riadh

every wednesday we have a meeting, many wednesdays, your vlog is very simillar to the subjects discussed in our meeting

47. Riadh

fear, selfishness, resentment and DISHONESTY, are to be removed to live happy thin and free, and more

48. Stefi

OMG SUSAN!! This vlog SOOO resonates with me!!! I feel SOO much of what you share /experienced/done… For sure I’m now on a nrarrower road… Damnit …is true!! Yet ,it is now a clear road!! Love your outfit & you?

49. AK

Susan,
    This was SO helpful. Your sharing so honestly helps me bring awareness and acceptance to my own struggles with food! Ahh, the narrow path indeed!
    So grateful to you!
    AK

50. Sherry

Susan,
    Thank you for sharing. This actually made me cry. You are so correct in saying once we realize something we cannot go back. I so like the way you describe the way the road gets narrower.
    You inspire me. Who inspires you!?

51. Fran Otto

Your final comment regarding honesty resonated with me. If we are not honest with out food then what else in my life am I not being honest about? Ultimately it is between me and God. He knows everything we do. Thank you for your commitment to this cause. My prayers are with you and this program you have created that makes a difference in so many lives!!

52. Gwenda Eliason

Thank you Susan. I really was waiting to hear about this, and I knew it would be a big learning and a big win for you, and for all of us. I am on the road right now, so it is very timely, and encourages me to not fight back as my road also becomes narrower. A narrower road is not really a problem for me. I am getting smaller, my home is smaller, my collection of belongings is smaller, my clothes are smaller, my experience and expression of negative emotions is smaller, my planetary footprint is smaller — it is fine for my road to be smaller as well.

53. Rosemary

WOW! That could have been me speaking! I am also a 10 on the susceptability scale. Our Mastermind group is called the Travelers as we all travel for business and eat in restaurants several times a week. Traveling, being tired and stressed almost all the time are issues we discuss. Alcohol seems to be a major roadblock for us. We are all recent graduates of the March Boot Camp and all three of us have joined Bright Lifers.

54. Dave & Kathy Manley

Wife and I are new to Bright Line Eating. Now you introduce #4 as weighing. We have a pretty good digital scale but you didn’t share how to determine portions. Does the amount depend upon many factors that you will discuss at a later date? We appreciate your forthrightness, honesty and wisdom. We’ll just keep on and hope we get all the right answers in future e-mails. Thanks.

55. Dave & Kathy Manley

Forgot to mention the first time how we found you through Ty Bollinger. I am a recovering cancer patient but also a committed Christian with Messianic leanings. Thanks again for your contributions.

56. Susan Nau

Susan,
    I first heard your voice on a local radio station and then visited your website. You show your vulnerability and that’s what I tend to hide from others. Lack of sleep and family responsibilities can overload the spirit and make anyone susceptible to tempting food, or tempting to anything that could normally be resisted. I’ve been in those shoes. I’m glad your loving friend gave you advise to get more sleep. In 2014, I moved away from Rochester NY and can’t find any place as upscale and as amazing as Wegmans in Florida. You’re right about honesty (or lack of) in one area of life carries over to all areas of life. Thank you for sharing your journey with courage and integrity.

57. Barbara Duncan

This is actually so discouraging to me. I’m just about half way through your book and have been having so many aha moments. I’ve been so excited thinking, “this is it…the one…the thing that will fix me; that after the initial painful stage I can finally stop obsessing about food!” And here you are…the author, all these years later….obsessing about food to the point where you have to take a freaking scale to a restaurant in order to have peace with your meal. This is not how I pictured serenity. I’m not judging you or mad at you. I’m just losing hope that I will ever be at peace in this area of my life. I’m not obese and my highest weight has been 163 at 5’6″ but I’m a compulsive overeater and yo-yo dieter. I’m 58 and currently in OA since March of this year. Still struggling…one day at a time.