Binging on Bright Line Eating

Many people practicing Bright Line Eating find that when they break their Bright Lines, their binging habits are worse than before they started the program. Why does this happen? I offer my thoughts in this week’s vlog.

Comments

1. Anne from Maine

It happens because while we are in the recovery rooms our disease is out in the parking lot doing push-ups – heard often in AA

1. Anne from Maine

Yes, I am one of the 10s nodding and understanding – have been there – have had that exact thinking. For many years I’ve done the yoyo thing with food and weight – following the BL-like food addiction recovery plan in OA/FA for long periods followed by mega binges with huge weight gains. As health improvement became more and more my primary focus than weight loss I was aware of how destructive that pattern was to my health so I decided to “forget abstinence” and just focus on moderate eating, meals only. Then I found BLE and I realized I used the other food addiction program food plans as “diets”. My time with BL has been a bit of a seesaw, too but I don’t binge any more, since Feb. 2016. I have struggles doing food prep – so all my food choices and amounts are BL compliant but sometimes involves day long grazing or “snacking” on BL compliant foods. When I have a brilliant BL day – for me 4 meals – modified due to health issues – I feel so nurtured, satisfied and balanced.
      I am even now working to tighten up and strengthen my BL program – I’ve been facing my resistance and letting it “be” to see where it would take me. Once I got “permission” from Molly to continue to be aware and observe and use the tools and not worry about the future I’ve been able to let go of a lot of that struggle and resistance. I look forward to my BL life plan being clean and bright ODAAT running into a string of days. Thanks, Susan, and Molly.

1. Sherrie

I LOVE this – makes so much sense to me (I do the same thing). Thanks for putting it in writing for me to see – I feel much better about myself and more hopeful about my future including a life full of living and not on the continual seesaw!

1. Cindy

I also have been a part of FA and have gained and loss 80 lbs three times. So I love what you said, Anne, about giving up the # of lbs loss and turn my attention on eating healthy. As I turned my attention on healthy eating, I find that I naturally use the guidelines of FA and BL. And at night, when thinking about my day, I also feel nurtured, satisfied, and balanced!

2. Judy G.

This VLOG is excellent! Thank you so much for your honesty.
      I completely identify with what you said, Susan. For me, there is nothing worse than coming out of a food coma (well, maybe NOT coming out of one is actually worse.)

3. Barbara

Susan, I really appreciate what you addressed in this Vlog. You confirmed that it’s okay to stray, dabble, chill, assess, and accept sliding backward. I think that’s what’s cool about the statement of AA being ” One day at a time.”. Although in addictive eating it should be more like, “One meal at a time.” I believe if people totally go off program and have a binge fest, they should pause, accept it was triggered by something, likely needed to happen, filled a purpose, which might evade you at the moment, take a deep breath (or sigh) and move on. Prepare a chart, as you did last week or some form of check list where you document getting in the saddle again, and giving yourself credit for the successes instead of letting the slip ups take center stage. Stay positive. Peace.

1. Rhonda

Barbara I agree with you 1000%. One of the problems I have with the 12 step programs is the day count and that when you slip you back to day 1 which seems so punishing considering that you’re dealing with a disease you are powerless over.

I’ve stopped counting days and I’m finding it very freeing. I’ve been slipping and sliding since the first of the year but I”m down over 20 lbs because I’m learning to forgive myself for a slip a slide or a binge. It happens. We make mistakes, we listen to the thoughts in our head that tell us we “need” the binge food, we can’t stand the discomfort of not having the binge food in that moment, I’ll die if I don’t get ______.

Focusing on how good I feel when I follow my food plan and how lousy I feel after binging is helping me to keep my binge eating shorter in duration. Whereas once my binges lasted for weeks on end now they’ve been lasting no more that a couple of days. The food coma or food fog is horrible plus I get terrible migraines and don’t want to be with people so I isolate. That’s not the life I want. So I accept that ending the binging and getting back on my food plan may be hard the first couple of days and then I try to do it. It’s working.

So I guess what I’m saying is that accepting that binges may happen, none of us are perfect, so expect it, forget the idea of perfect abstinence, and celebrate the days and times you live on your healthy food plan. Let that take center stage.

4. Kristen

That’s exactly how I felt on intuitive eating! I ate junk food, and I felt fat and depressed. I gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks! Then I just waited for the weight to come off as they said it would, but of course it didn’t. I did gain a lot from the experience, though, such as the ability to keep food in the house and not eat it.

2. Don McMeekin

Hi Susan–My wife will not watch your videos as she is thinking that there is some kind of a catch at the end. I think that your presentations are great and if you pardon the pun-“they give me food for thought”-Lol Do you have any suggestions of how I can get my wife to watch your videos ? Don Mc

1. Barbara

Don, may I suggest offering her a 15 minute massage, with no ulterior motive?….? With the understanding being, if she feels it was informative, honest and inspiring, you’re off the hook… ??

2. Salliann

Dear don
      Have you considered simply leading by exmpke.
      Your health, happiness and freedom not to mention weight loss wil be the true authentic inspiration and in her own timing she too might watch and receive the blessing of bright line eating.

3. Ama

Is it possible that the falling off Bright Line eating and binging can happen to some, but over time, you keep getting back ” onthe horse” and eventually, over time it gets easier until finally, all that struggle and work pays off and you can more easily snap back to bright lines?

1. Lidija

I’m not doing BLE, but I know that is so. I had periods when I was really proud of my eating but also periods when I started to struggle. And it’s ok. I always get back, I’ve learned to do it. I can’t say that is so easy or hard, it really depends. You have to see it for yourself :). There is no recipe for success, you gotta make your own.

2. Joseph

Yes. You get back on the horse. What’s the alternative when you know BLE works? Get on that horse and out of disease city. And if that horse dies, you’ll get another one.
      Joseph in Missola

3. Joni

Absolutely! When I first joined OA ten years ago I thought I would never have success, then I became sugar free over 5 years O. It was not easy to begin with But now I am not the slightest bit interested in anything with sugar in it. Then I was on a plateau for 4 years going up and down within a ten pound range, how discouraging. By then I had got rid of all processed food and trigger food, and if something GOOD became trigger I got rid of it too.
      About4 months ago I discovered BL from my food sponsor. So far the expected one pound a week has not happened, more like one a month, but I have hope and try to stay on BL. When I do go off it is not a binge but only a n oz or two.
      You can do it if you do keep on working the program . In Faith! Joni

4. Lisa Sinclair

This you at your very best. Thank you so much. I have done “fat serenity” too, and am learning the freedom of abstinence. Your vlog is so timely for my Master Mind group as we have been flopping around. Thank you and blessings.

5. Mariah

What a touching, touching letter and response.
    Last night I was reading spiritual stories before bed. A great man sought by all for his wisdom counseled a good soul who came to him with constant abdominal irritation. The sick man was asked, What do you really love to eat that you are not eating? The sick fellow replied, Barley in broth, with roasted garlic in it.
    Then go and eat that, he was told. The man felt better in a day and stayed better long-term.

Suggestion: When we start the bright lines, why not be sure to eat abstinent foods that we love and find delicious?? I have been seeking to supply myself with meals that I love—baked potatoes and brown rice and a fried egg and salmon and some steak and all the beautiful fruits and vegetables that I truly find delicious. I feel healthy about it, even though sometime I truly may get back to more vegetarian protein choices.
    Sending much love to all.

1. Joseph

Mariah,
      Up to a point, Dr. Greger (nutritionfacts.org) agrees with your ‘great man sought by all’. He says that when we’re deficient in essential foods, we crave them (e.g., scurvy victims crave fruits & vegetables).
      On the other hand, if you crave a chocolate eclair…
      Of course, there’s cravings and there’s cravings. Maybe different words can be used to skewer the driving force of an impulse.
      Joseph in Missoula

6. Annie

I’m not fluent with words but her letter to you described me to a T. Thank you for writing in and thanks for addressing this issue . I’m going to pony up and get support to.

7. Megha

Thanks again, Susan! I think I look forward to Wednesdays nowadays just because I get to hear your latest inspiration! This was amazing. Luckily the vlog today is not my issue (I have other ones) but it is so helpful to hear what others go through as well! Love you like a love song, Megha

8. Catriona

Hi Susan, you’ve hit the nail on the head with my situation as well. If it might help Emily, I also have had a bad month, some family concerns that have resulted in me gaining 12 pounds, and I’m disgusted with myself for binge eating to solve my comfort issues. So here is my solution that’s been helping me. A friend who is always clothes conscious, gave me some advice about how to dress for a slimmer look. Get a bra fitting, ( and boy was that a revelation) that will lift your breasts, they should sit in the middle of your upper arm. Support is the key, this also gives the look of a slimmer waist. Stop wearing baggy clothes, and when going out put some effort into my appearance. My usual yoga pants loose baggy top, my stomach is my worst feature, making me somewhat boxy in shape, and a ponytail, with no makeup, was lowering my self confidence when I caught my reflection in a window or mirror., and I didn’t want to go outside even for a walk by myself. I started playing mahjong on line, it’s like the old card game of concentration, and solitaire when I felt the urge to eat. Anything to distract myself. Ive recently moved to a new city, have no friends here, and my husband,has been working long hours, so we’re eating out more. I’ve also started looking at “how to wear makeup” web sites, and trying ideas on myself, and I love to read, but watching tv is my biggest trigger for looking for something quick to eat, usually junk food. My next suggestion is to stay away from alcohol, as it can affect common sense choices. Hard to do in summer I know, but it’s helping me. I’m 66 years young, but feel 30, and have never had a serious weight problem until now, ( I need to lose 60 pounds) and so I’ve been fooling myself, by saying I’ll start my diet tomorrow, and tomorrow never comes. I still in my minds eye see myself as slender, it’s self hallucinating I know! You’re not alone Emily, please don’t give up, it’ll be worth it when we meet our goals. My view on supportive friends is, they lift us up, not hold us back, so be careful of subtle sabotage, such as you look fine, you don’t need to be on a diet. This I get all the time from women who are slim and trim, so I’ve cut back on communicating with some of them, but in the long run I think it’ll be for the best, at least until I’m not so affected by the subtleties of well meaning friends. I’m confident that I’ll keep looking for ways to stay on track, I hope you will succeed too, it’s an hourly effort.

9. Helen

Only yesterday, when I was crying in despair once again over what I’ve done and not having anymore strength and faith that I will ever get better, your email appeared in my inbox. I decided right there and then that I am DOING THIS. This makes sense to me and what you said today about stress/support and that fire inside of us which wants more than just a mediocre
    existence. It’s all I needed to hear. I can relate to you so much and you sharing your experience and knowledge is literally a life saver, probably for many others too. This addiction (and any addiction really) can be so isolating and all consuming, but now I feel more positive that I have tools and answers proving that I AM NOT CRAZY, BROKEN, USELESS.
    You are such a bright light shining, proving that it’s possible to reach that light at the end of the very long and dark tunnel.
    THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR WORK.

Loads of love
    Helen

10. Ana

Hi Susan, you described my life in my teens, twenties and thirties. In my forties, I discovered my food allergies and avoided them. The white knuckling of holding back stopped and so did the binging. What Emily described inner conflict. I remember that so well. The inner conflict stopped just like that. I do have to still watch what I eat and exercise to stay lean. I learned what you described as bright line eating over 20 years ago. It works, no snacks, no white food, no sugar, and lots of veggies. I’m calm. Put sugar in me (I call it contamination), I start pacing the room and wanting to eat more than I need. No binging, just too much, like an extra fruit or two, and maybe a sweet. Then I’m done. I am so grateful that there’s no more binging, like an alien took over my body and forced me to eat everything in the kitchen. BTW, I’m in my mid sixties now, and still active and lean….

11. Ray Edwards

Susan, thank you for being so transparent and sharing the reality so many of us face. I have been eating on bright lines for a little over a year. I’ve lost 53 pounds so far. And I have had several “binge” episodes. Not little indulgences… I mean gorging myself to the point of distention and discomfort.

This just showed me the strength of my addictive behavior. As a 9 (maybe 10) on the susceptibility scale, and as someone who has some serious health issues that will only get worse if I engage in a “moderate” approach.

I think you’re right. Periodic binges are a sign for me that I’m not reinforcing those bright lines enough. As we’ve heard, “100% is easy – 99% is hard.”

Thanks for encouraging us to rise up and go for 100%.

12. Francois

Hello Susan. It seems to me the hard part of taking a new (good) habit is to let go of the old (bad) one and it is easier if we start when we are in a calm period like you talk. It is probably a calm period because we have make the work in our mind that it doesn’t make sens anymore to continiue with the old (bad) habit. By the way I love the way you talk honestly to us, thank you very much for that. Have a wonderfull day.

13. Ada

I am looking forward to the next boot camp I am a preety much a healthy eater but I have health issues with my thyroid and hair lose so it makes it hard for me to lose weight pls for some of you on the programme do you think been on bright line eating will help my thyroid and help me shift my weight iam really anxious

14. Barbara

Ms. Susan, your compassion so touches my heart and this topic came after 6 months of doing BLE and losing 30 pounds. Indeed, I have noticed that my psyche has been vulnerable with healing due to a hip replacement surgery and the justification that “certain comfort foods, especially sourdough bread, toasted with butter” would be an ok “antidote”. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I was just binging…..and I knew it. When i had to embrace that female voice in my head that said “now, now, dear one…”, I needed to remember what Mike Blakestone said about the inner conflicts and help “her” realize that this was not supportive. I threw away the rest of the loaf, and recommitted to Rezoom my BLE the next day. Whew! I have also found this to be true.
    When i have not planned well ahead for my meals and end up in the fast food line, saying to myself, oh, just one time won’t be too bad. THE FOOD DOES NOT TASTE AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD. So I now punt going thru those lines and remember what it REALLY tastes like to know that I’m nurturing my tongue AND my body . My self-care and love is a part of this journey. Thank you so much for your stand on this for the world! love and more, Barbara

15. Barb

Thank you for your heart-felt response. It was helpful. What isn’t helpful is your sing-song intro “welcome to the weekly vlog” while rolling your eyes. It makes it hard to take you seriously. Somehow you get passed the intro and a good connection is made. Thanks.

16. Patricia Romick

Over many years, every time I lose up to 30 pounds on a specific program and stop it, I gain the weight back and more. I am not a binge eater, but an over eater. Susan, you have spoken to me and I want to become a Bright Line Eater. However I need your opinion as to whether you think it is too late for me to suceed at age 74? Nothing woul make me happier to once and for all return to my natural weight and maintain it for many years to come. Thank you, with Love,

1. Sheila

Patricia Romick: It is definitely not too late for you at age 74 to succeed! I’m 76 and joined the October 2015 Boot camp when I weighed 158.8 lbs (I weighed 170.2 in March, 2015 and lost approximately 11 lbs on my own before joining BLE). As of this morning, I weigh 126.4 lbs! I haven’t weighed this little in at least 45 years! So it can be done at any age. I also was not a binge eater but just ate too much of the good food as well as the “bad for me” food. I have incredible energy now. Good luck to you.

1. Rhonda

Wow!!!! You’re both such an inspiration. I’ve struggled with binge eating and yo yo dieting my entire life. I’m 63 and am finally learning through cognitive behavioral therapy to challenge my food thoughts particularly those that say go ahead have what you’re craving you be abstinent tomorrow. I’ve been waiting for tomorrow for 30 years and so now I know it’s here.

It’s so good to hear that women over 50 can slim down. Most programs, even OA, focus on younger women which makes me feel like I’m running up a down escalator. I just know that I don’t want to die some day in the throes of food addiction and to feel that my entire life was spent waiting for a tomorrow when I could be abstinent.

Challenging my food thoughts, distracting myself when they do come and forgiving myself for slips particularly when they’re short lived so that I celebrate healthy eating is helping me make progress. Thank you for your post.

17. Michelle Sampson

I listened to your story about Emily and I just wonder if she might be suffering from the same condition I have – hypoglycemia. I tried grey sheet eating and twelve step programs for years and years and years and couldn’t get off the binge/abstinence cycle and thought of myself as a complete waste. And this after 10 years in therapy working through my “stuff” and overcoming clinical depression because of it. At 50 I finally did manage to lose 47 pounds and am now at 65 5’7″ weighing 154 down from 5’10” weighing in at 201 lbs. So fast forward to me now passing out on hikes and almost needing to be helicoptered off the mountain not once but twice. Went to an Endocrinologist and low and behold I am a very bad hypoglycemic and have been suffering from this very overlooked condition my entire life! They put me on a continuous glucose monitor and in the middle of the night the danger buzzer would go off because I was below 40 and falling and it had to wake me up to eat. I would love to do bright line eating but I can’t go longer than 3 hours without needing food and from what I understand you require that we go five hours in between meals.

I too used to eat just like you and Emily. I’m a 10 on your susceptibility scale but now that this medical issue has been uncovered it explains so very many things. I just wonder how many of your clients could be suffering from exactly what my weight issue was? Because I’m shrinking I still need to lose another 10 pounds and the need to eat for my condition makes this very difficult to say the least. And the fact that I’m a major hiker compounds it terribly as well. But again to my point, I truly wonder how many of us in this community suffer from my medical condition which is very overlooked in the medical community?

1. Susan

Michelle, I would love to know how they decided that you are hypoglycemic…was there some kind of test that produced evidence? Thank you for writing about this.

18. Marty Kennedy

Thank you Susan. This is my issue as well and I could have written that note! I will be doing some strong thinking and journaling about next steps

19. Lindabel

I have – hypoglycemia also as Michelle has. I still don’t know what the Bright Line Eating System is, but when I go on the So. Beach diet I get very ill. I have a hard time breathing, I get shaky and dizzy as if I am going to pass out, I break out in a sweat and then I eat until I start to feel better. It takes a long time to feel better, much longer than the 20 min. that the doctors say. How do I find out about the Bright Line System, and is there a way to modify it. I am 63 and have 135 lbs. to lose. If I go to 3 hours with no food I do not feel well.

1. Lindabel

Lindabel Again, I forgot to mention that my heart also pounds very hard when I don’t eat for 3 hrs, along with all the other symtoms of sweating, short of breath , dizziness and shaking. But how do I find the Bright Line Eating System? I really need something and maybe this is the eating plan for me.

2. Jana O'Connell

Her Bright line Eating book is on Amazon 🙂

20. Virginia Bennett

I just started Bright Line Eating as I understand it Thursday last week. I had started following a food plan I had mapped out called the Great Physician’s RX for Weight Loss on May 11th. On Memorial Day weekend, I wanted to have some food that was nostalgic for me on Memorial Day or summer holidays. Someone at Trader Joes had talked about how good their baked beans were. I asked if it was vegetarian, because I don’t eat pork. She said it was. I had stopped eating baked beans years ago because it is high in sugar, but I decided to eat baked beans as a starch in one of my Memorial Day weekend meals this year. Well, I could not stop with 1 serving. I wanted more. From that day on, I couldn’t go back to my food plan. I was eating breads and starchy foods more often and eating more foods. I wouldn’t say I was bingeing in the sense of bingeing like I did several years ago when food was my biggest comforter But I wasn’t recording my food that I had eaten any more and I wasn’t paying attention to eating appropriately.

One night I was up in the middle of the night and wanted to eat. I went and got something to eat. I don’t even remember what it was, but I realized I was in a bad place with my eating. I went to my computer and emailed a friend, asking if they knew of someone I could be a support partner with and saying that I need support in my weight loss program. The next day or a few days later I got the The Truth About Cancer email that I read and listened to the video and it was Ty interviewing you about the science behind food addiction ad the susceptibility test. I took the test and found I was a 7. I began checking out everything I could about Bright Line Eating to understand it and to decide if it was for me.

I haven’t had any problem following Bright Line Eating as I understand it. It has been comforting to me in a way, because I don’t have to think about food as much, and I like what I am eating, but I am also focusing on other things in my life.

Nevertheless, my experience with all the programs I have followed in the past was that I could not go more than 3-4 weeks or 2 months without falling off my program, So I have been aware of that going into Bright Line Eating and hoping it will not happen again. So today’s vlog that I got from you in my email encouraged me to know that if I ever have trouble staying on it, it probably means i need something more–either more sleep at night or more support from other people or a combination of the two. I do not currently know anyone doing Bright Line Eating, but I know several people who are watching what they eat or have done so in the recent past.

21. George

I am having success with ‘modified’ BLE. I haven’t done Boot Camp yet, but since the beginning of this year have severely restricted flour and sugar and lost over 20 lbs and am 7 from goal range weight ( 2lbs either side of 185). I have been tempted to fall back into my old sugar and flour ways and other times have given in-pizza, pound cake, milk shakes, brownies–on and on and on. But fortunately I’ve been able to keep from crossing over the point of no coming back–that’s half a dozen doughnuts at a time territory.
    I am bombarded by the weight loss ads and exasperated that not one ever talks about sustained loss-no surprise really-that’s hard work and inner work’s required. Susan’s vlog about the ‘Biggest Loser’ contestants post show weight story was extremely interesting, in that regard. One of Richard Pryor’s routines is about an African who came to the US and proclaimed, “In America, you can eat 24 hours a day.”

My susceptibility is a hard 8, maybe 9. My origin story is that both my parents, successful by any measure, were conscious about their weight. My mom dieted often, her weight went up and down; my dad use to comment out loud at dinner about how the Kool-Aid she made was never sweet enough. He loved homemade apple pie with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream on top and craved crossed buns and cinnamon rolls from the bakery across the street. No wonder then that I started eating compulsively, left over pastries my parents brought home by the box from church once a month. I ate two to three pastries at a time and tried to hide the evidence. I’ve said before, that I gave up doughnuts 5 years ago because I could never stop eating south of half a dozen.

I cannot and will not go back to my old ways for a very important reason. I was diagnosed with COPD and had an angioplasty and stent procedure in January. And so now, I am trying to eat heart healthy.
    Maybe one day there will be BLE restaurants where we can eat well.

I get it Emily, and I understand; just do your best, try and do the inner work and I believe you’ll get past this.

22. Susan

Thank you so much for doing this. I found this vlog really helpful. I too have tried to just eat moderately. But I feel miserable, gain weight, and am always thinking about food and weight. Your comments about the conflict were exactly on point for me. And just listening to this vlog has helped me to resolve this conflict in myself. I cannot live happily without putting structure around my food in the ways you describe in Bright Line Eating.

23. Costin Lixandru

Hello Susan,
    Strictly to your current subject, there are two aspects that I’m seeing: eating too much junk foods that are too much available these days, and the pleasure/emotional value associated with foods regardless of their nature. The junk food is discussed extensively these days, and the bright line program may help a lot.
    But at the end of day you must do the work yourself and understand how, when and what to eat. Most people believe they have to eat 2000 calories minimally and lots of proteins because it’s science. In my experience, I fasted recently 9 days just with pure water, doing about 15 minutes of yoga exercise in the morning, walking 2-3 miles daily, plus going to school and drive 30 minutes away. I was not dizzy unless I was not drinking enough water and in the first 3 days I lost about 10 pounds. But in the next 6 days I did the same and lost nothing. I think everybody should try something like that once in a while and see. At least fasting with just water (at room temperature, warm like for a tea, or with a pinch of gray sea salt) once a week is a good exercise.
    On the pleasure/value aspect, I’d be more interested to learn your vision on that.
    So far, I learned that people are using addictions because they are fundamentally unhappy about something. They compensate by food or something else and think: that’s how I am, I love pizza, ice-cream, etc. But nobody tells them to look behind that and deal with the root issue. This is the 90% invisible part of the iceberg, in my experience. Unless you decide to work on the root issue/emotions rather than using your will to overcome the substitute behavior, no progress is really visible. It’s not about diet or pounds, it’s about how you live your life.
    I think that’s what your program is about and I am looking forward to your next video. Thank you!

24. David

I heard a wise person say.
    “If you want what you haven’t got you must do what you haven’t done.”
    David

25. Willemina

Both me and my husband have food abnormaleties. We tried to lose weight every new year. Have been on all kinds of diets. But now we are sugar and gluten free and eat no processed food. But have not forgotten how it feels when I am hungry. So one day Out of the week I make sure dat I make my salat jars for the week and my almond flour scones and our dark chocolat that when I come home from work and have not eaten 5 hours I have plenty delicious food that I may eat. The salat jars are so good! I take 6 ball jars and start putting in layers of home made Sourcrout , organic carrots graded, cooked quinoa, 2 organic medjool dates sliced, unsweetened coconut flakes unsulfered, organic almond slivers, organic baby spinach, organic romaine lettuce. Make the jar full till the top and put a lid on and in the fridge. Every day a salat. As fresh as can be. 1 jar feeds 2 with avocado oil on it , fills you up and is so tasty. Only because I know I have food ready at home we can do it . My husband lost all the extra weight, ones in a while he graves spaghetti , so I buy a healthy spaghetti and make the sause. My self have lost 40 pounds and hope to lose more. We eat this way now a while. But white flour and white sugar are not found in our diets

26. Ronna Berezin

I have to go back to my original thesis again: this is not an eating issue; it is clearly an obsessive compulsive disorder. Food is the pretext and the star billing, but if one searches more deeply at rock bottom is obsessive compulsively eating bc of obsessive compulsively thinking in the first place. If there is an enemy it is not the food ( pretext) ; it is the mind( brain.). Current brain research proves this!

27. Sophie

This is why I didn’t start bright line eating it was too much for me. I’m a 10. But now going my own way and eating less now and cutting out sugar, still over weight but with time I hope it comes off. I’m motivated to protect my brain from sugar that’s my motivation which is a BIG motivation.

28. Thank You

29. Kandi

Susan, That was so heartfelt and real. I love that about you. This was such a good topic. I have not binged yet I feel it lurking and it is frightening! Again I remember the minibar scene from the movie Flight. As a 10 on the SS scale it is reassuring to know that you are there (as well as the on-line community) to coach me back in. Thank You so very much.

30. Stirling

Thank you so much for this heartfelt, vlog, Susan. What finally clicked for me is that I need support! It’s the one thing I have always shied away from and I’ve been trying to tough it out on my own for years. The past year I’ve been allowing myself to “cheat” on the bright lines a little bit every day, which doesn’t put on the weight, but it keeps me at the same weight, always 10 pounds more than I want to be. There are a lot of psychological reasons I hold myself back, I know, and this is the inner work I need to do. But it’s great to know I don’t have to do it alone. Thanks.

31. Tara

When Susan said that following the bright lines wasn’t enough, I immediately thought of the lack of amino acids most of us suffer from – I learned a huge amount (and learn more each time I read it) from The Diet Cure by Julia Ross, M.A. By taking the correct amino acids that my body needed, I no longer had to rely on will power. The cravings simply diminished without any effort. Sometimes we are so depleted in certain amino acids that changing our diet isn’t enough – we need to supplement for awhile until we are back on track. Knowing that I didn’t have to rely on will power was a huge blessing!

32. Ellie Franklin

Susan — thank you! I can’t believe what a wonderful, genuine, huge heart you have.

Emily — if you’re reading — and I hope you are getting all this support. I hear you. I understand. I do this too. Don’t ever give up. For me BLE makes it easier to stop binges which would have otherwise lasted for months. I know those bright lines are there — I’m used to them now. I still struggle but I know what works and I know where I belong. I didn’t know that before, and I felt lost and sad and hopeless. Feel free to reach out to me. <3 Ellie

eareichenbach@juno.com

33. Renée

My dear, why-oh-why do you roll your eyes every time you say “welcome to the weekly vlog”? Do you not want me to listen?

I totally dig you, and love everything you do. No need to roll your eyes – your vlog is great!

34. Jules

I scored myself a 9 on the susceptibility index – because I don’t binge – not for years. However, when you described what happened to you when you stopped trying to restrict and just let yourself eat – well, that is me. My weight has been steadily going up and up. I really appreciate seeing myself in your description because it gives me hope. And I appreciate the compassion that you showed Emily. We are ready when we are ready. Thanks to you and to my friend who told me about BLE.

35. Mary Pavlovsky

Why do you guys care about her intro? For Christ’s sake maybe she’s shy in front of the camera. Just listen to what she is saying.

1. Francois

I like that intro. I think it’s funny and it’s suppose to be funny when you start something that will make you feel better in you body, that will make you happy too.

36. Tessa

Emily (if you see this) – Y0U ARE EN0UGH RIGHT N0W i dVn’t care what you look like ! Please go to the mirror look right in your eyes and tell yourself that. Your worth is not based on your weight.
    These issues are more than just about food weight. I truly believe that there is more to life than that – and I hope you do too.
    As human beings, we are all programmed. 0ftentimes, as soon as we restrict and begin to obsess about eating “healthy/right” our natural instincts kick in and we just can’t stop thinking about what we cant have – hence why so many of us ‘fall off that bandwagon’ and try it over and over again… insanity at it’s best.
    For me one of my saving graces (as I suffered hugely from binge eating) was not creating a more rigid, strict plan as Susan suggests. In fact – those plans lead to even bigger binges and overeating and ‘failure’ and guilt.
    For me – it was SURRENDER. Surrender to our bodies. 0ur bodies are WIZE. If we listen to them, truly – with compassion and love – we will nourish and look after them in the right way. Surrendering to being N0T in control (a tricky one for me as I always loved to control the outcome – in this instance – weight loss) is just so authentic and beautiful in itself that it will really – as scary as it sounds – open one to such new horizons.

Now I’m not debunking what Susan has to offer – a lot of it I really like.
    However, it is important to surrender to the idea that we do not have to be bound in life to rules and regulations and rights and wrongs. The “all-or-nothing” thinking can be extremely damaging. Consider that (on this ‘bright line eating’) you could be emotionally restricting even when you’re not physically restricting. This will almost always lead to a breakout in some way – your body crying out to you – listen to it! Don’t punish it with more rules! Listen with compassion to your best teacher – your body knows more than any one else, any other book diet or coach – what is best for you.

This is really a tough understanding to come to – but these are some websites which have really helped me overcome my fear of food and love myself! It’s the best you could ever do in this life is learn to love yourself 🙂 p.s. Sorry for the essay but this is something I feel very strongly about xxxx

37. Judy

I just opened BrightLine eating today , at the recommendation of my Adventist DR.. AT THIS DATE I AM AT 274 #’s . I’ve printed about 100 sheets to take to bed to read through. I am addicted to food!!! A few years ago I was a Body recall instructor and loved helping others get healthy. Now I need the help. Bless you all for sharing.

38. Nancy

Thank you Susan for another wonderful Vlog. I have been in several 12 step groups for food addiction for many years and am currently in BLE. There were times in my life where I knew couldn’t be 100% and I gave myself permission to change the parameters. For instance, my 3 year old son had cancer and during his treatment, the only lines that I could adhere to were No Sugar and 3 Meals. Sometimes the 3 Meals were even tough, but I wasn’t binging, and I eliminated all sugar like it was poison. It’s very refreshing to hear your compassionate response to Emily and acknowledge that there are other options. I think this is what I love about BLE. It is positive reinforcement and allows me to take responsibility for my own recovery and feel good about it. Thank you so much.

39. Andrew

Great information on this site. It is so sililar to my foodaddicts.org plan did you start there? No flour, no sugar, 3 weighed meals and no snacks is FA for sure. This is great You are getting the word out to people in need!

40. Seamonkey

I dont super binge, but did overeat and addictively ate something that i knew would give me a stomach ache just to get at the sugar…found this vlog online and am moved by the honesty and good advice here.

41. Kara

Grateful to find this group as a lifetime woman with binge eating DO. I’m back up 25# I think BLE could be really helpful

42. Lindy Cacioppo

I did a Google search for hypoglycemia and Bright Line Eating and found this thread. I found a couple of posts from 2016 that reference hypoglycemia, so I’m posting this here. Maybe it belongs elsewhere?

I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic when I was in my early 20’s. I’m 66 now. It was an issue again in my 40’s, so I started carrying juice boxes and fruit in the car with me when I knew I was going to be out and busy all day. I put on significant weight following my divorce around the same time I think, because I was so afraid of going hungry and nearly passing out behind the wheel when driving (nearly happened once).

Now I’m in my third week of BLE having started with the 14 Day Challenge (dropped 10 pounds and 10 inches from waist, hip, and thigh) and my hypoglycemic symptoms have returned. This morning it occurred to me that I only experience it at breakfast following the 14 hour fast between dinner and breakfast. I don’t have trouble during the rest of the day. I tend to space my meals about 4 hours apart. A friend who is in the boot camp right now suggested I split my dinner protein in half, eating the second half before bedtime. I thought the 14 hour fast was part of the plan, but I am going to try this and see if it helps.

All these years, I’ve eaten something before bedtime, sometimes a handful of nuts or half of a banana, sometimes more. I did not realize it was helping to keep the hypoglycemia in check. I hope that’s all it takes to fix this (splitting my dinner protein). I’ve been afraid to eat at night because I did not want to trigger a binge, but the hypoglycemia is so much more dangerous.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any further suggestions? Maybe there are other vlogs I could watch where Susan addresses this?

43. Amy

I’m a vegan but the last time I fell off Bright Line Eating I found myself eating meat and dairy. Good to know that the solution is to up your game. I’m doing that, I have 3 buddies now that I talk to at least once a week. I’m working on getting more.