Do We Have To Be Perfect?

If we’re striving to not eat sugar perfectly, not eat flour perfectly, eat only and exactly at meal times and never more food than we’ve committed to eat, does that mean we have to be perfect? Watch this week’s vlog to hear my thoughts on the topic.

Comments

1. Lori

This is perfect! ?

1. Sarah Hancock

Susan, you are so right, and so amazing, and this has spilled over into every area of my life! Thank you so much. What a Holiday Gift!

2. Marilyn

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. You have addressed my biggest fear. Thank you. XXOO

3. Paula

Susan, I respect you and the movement you are leading. After participating in the recent Boot Camp, I have a great deal of affection for you. That sounds kind of weird since we have never really met. I am one of those people who feels that this framework does not quite fit me. I found some of the Bright Lines to be life-transforming and others not so much. However, I have tools now. I have access to the support community, which makes all the difference. I feel positive (but hopefully not arrogant) about going forward with this new way of life. Quite frankly, I am stoppable. However, I choose to put my faith in One who is unstoppable. I see this as primarily a spiritual commitment. You have provided some pragmatic disciplines and some very inspiring ideas. Your online communities reflect inclusiveness and tolerance for those with differing philosophies. This Vlog welcomes everyone who is giving it an honest effort. Thanks for being yourself and for being so open about your own struggles.

4. Willa

That was fantastic. Thank you!

5. Mercedes (from Argentina)

Thank God I remembered that this blog existed. Yesterday I binged like crazy. This is my 63rd day. I thought this would never happen to me again. And here I am. hating myself. I´m about to get to my goal and Im bouncing back before getting to my goal. But then I remembered, that Im not perfect, but Im unstoppable. “The way Im wired is that eating sugar and flour causes problems for me.”
      Thank you, Susan.

2. KB

I so respect what you’ve put together and your underlying philosophies. I especially respect the honesty about food getting messy because it SO serves others who are struggling. It sounds like it served you, too. I’m glad.

Regarding “the best of” OA and FAA, I ended up taking the no-sugar/flour guideline from FAA and HOW, and using those within the OA program because I had such a problem with silencing/shaming folks who were struggling. I was in OA for 10 years until I found that even OA had more emphasis on food than on self-compassion, which I found I had to primarily focus on in order to keep recovering. I’ve now been teaching workshops on the intersection of food and Mindfulness, but I didn’t put it together how key the abstinence from flour and sugar was to my recovery…until I found you! I used to think it was just emotional/spiritual recovery (with some influence from the gut biome), and now I understand much better the influence of brain chemistry.

Kudos and thank you so much for all the experience, strength, and hope!

3. Elizabeth

What a wonderful video that speaks volumes about you as a person and this program. Your honesty, clarity, support, kindness—they leave me speechless. I just find myself nodding as I listen.
    You and this program have so much to offer to so many people. Thank you so much.

1. Kathy

Thank you Elizabeth, I agree with all that you shared here. I feel exactly the same about Susan and BLE!

4. Phyllis Plotkin

This was so great to hear today. I’ve been on a bad track since the end of boot camp. But I know Bright Line eating is what I want to do. I will “Simply Rezoom.”

5. Maddie Penko

Wow Susan, this was a very inspirational and profound video today.
    This topic is always tricky because so often we get caught up in that all-or-nothing attitude where if we slip up one time, we think it’s all over and we give everything up. Then, just like you said, we say “I’ll get back to it on Monday” or in January, or after that party next week. Well why not RIGHT NOW? When’s the best time to get back on track? Right now!
    Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences with addiction and being comfortable enough to speak openly about it. Watching you do this gives me strength and courage to talk about my imperfectness to others too.
    Merry everything and happy new year to you Susan,
    Maddie

6. Nona Shaw

This was the most intense and eye opening blog session I have listened to! I took the survey and was an 8… I wanted to join boot camp but have spent an immense amount of $$$ on “self improvement” in the last 3-4 years and I did not join the boot camp,, I did an experiment for almost two weeks without sugar/flour and physically felt better. I did not stay with it, but would like to see what resources you have for someone without deep pockets.. Thank you so much for your transparency!

1. Lauren Alten

Dearest Naomi, I first heard about the Brightline Eating Program at a time when I knew I could not possibly afford it. Susan generously gave just enough information in her three introductory videos that I decided to try out what I thought I knew about the eating portion of it: no sugar, no flour, three meals a day, managed portions, no seconds, no snacks. Not rocket science, right? I instantly started feeling so much better and started dropping weight. However, it left me with so many questions and I felt like I was constantly flying in the face of “what everyone else knew” about the proper way to diet (the old paradigm of a calorie is a calorie and if you just do everything in moderation – it will all work out). I soon found myself adrift in the sea of diet misinformation and knew I needed real solutions as the sugar addiction kicked back in, big time. I prioritized this as my last ditch effort to finally get the help I really needed and sprang for the big bucks to do the boot camp. The money I spent was a gift in and of itself because it got my attention and my focus. I was NOT going to spend that kind of money and not get results! The program appealed to my science geek that wants to know all the science behind what I am doing. It appealed to my physiology as it fully supported the nutritional needs of my body and I really got what my body was hungry for. It appealed to my vision of what the future could hold for me as I finally started heading towards being slim and free. And most of all, it appealed to my need for community – to know that I was not doing this alone and that I could call upon any of hundreds within the group and get an almost instant answer anytime day or night when I needed to reach out. I started BLE on October 1st and I have lost 30 pounds. I have a greater sense of joy in every area of my life. Was it worth the money? Absolutely!

7. Eric Schantz

Thank you for this. I badly needed to hear this, Susan! As I told you Saturday, I have gained back 20 of the 102 pounds I lost this year, almost all of it since Thanksgiving (It amazes me that is even physically possible.) You asked, “How can I help?” In addition to the love and support you showed me, this Vlog tonight is exactly the help I needed.
    I love the concept of the 4 “S”s, and I’m putting them into practice starting tonight. You’re right; this really is a learning curve. And so,…time to SIMPLY RE-ZOOM.

1. Kelly Monroe

Hop back on the tracks, and rezoom, Eric! You can do it. Hugs, love and strength.

2. Virginia

Didn’t you just love that point of hers that this resume thing is THE skill we need to learn perfectly? Such a wow. I know eating this way I feel like each meal is its own segment and I handle each one separately anyway. So now they’re just components and if I’ve blown something, I am learning not to slip into my old ways of “I’ve blown today”, then using it as an excuse to continue on and on thoughtlessly, mindlessly, and messing up my body chemistry, which is what is so hard to come back on, don’t you think? I find it takes that 3+ days of perfection to get back on track with no cravings. Hell and willpower required during that time. You can do it!

1. Kathy

Dear, dear Eric, how about re- zooming with the huge love, respect and PRIDE within you, for being 82 lbs thinner this year….WOW….that is an amazing feat in and of itself. Pat yourself on the back and get back on track…You CAN do this – because you obviously already have 🙂

8. Cathy

Absolutely BRILLIANT! Thanks you so much Susan and God bless you!!!

9. Barb Holcomb

Recently I caught part of a TV promo for sugar addiction. They mentioned that several vegetables have lots of natural sugar. Since I only heard 2-3 sentences, the only ones I caught were tomatoes and carrots. Does BrightLine eating give us a heads up on the rest of them? I’m a 25 year Type 2 diabetic. After hearing those two sentences, I realized that my raw vegs of choice are carrots and tomatoes. I’ve caught myself craving anything sweet. I’ve carmelized onionsand ate the entire pan of them because they are very sweet at that point. I never made the connection before. I’m pretty sure that my eating those vegs keeps my sugar addiction pumping. Any info that you can share would be appreciated. Looking forward to your book.

1. Mieke

The fibre in whole veggies compensaties for the sweetness. To curb sweet cravings it really helps to add green vegetables to your meal. Do try this and you’ll feel the difference.

10. Liz Jackson

That was perfect and encompasses so many of the worries you have when you don’t stick with the program perfectly. Watching you today means so much. Thank you again.

11. Steve Bivens

Great presentation on compassion and stubbornness! Keep on keeping on! I tried OA & FAA and couldn’t do them because of the higher power bs. As an atheist, I could not stomach the delusional thinking. When Susan went from size 4 to 24, she was praying all along. Obviously prayer does not work. There is no higher power that is going to intervene on your behalf. Resuming appropriate behavior does work.

12. Debra

Susan thank you so much for this. I needed it so bad today

13. Jessica Richards

I’ve been watching these vids since October and they’ve all been helpful and inspiring to me, but this one even more so. I appreciate the honesty, especially because I think this time of year is particularly rife with temptation. I also really value the idea of a community that allows you to struggle and be honest about your struggles in a supportive environment. Thank you for sharing this!!

14. Ronna Berezin

Wow! That’s my first response. This was an unseating moment bc you hit on maybe the secret to living happy , thin , and free regardless of the content of your addiction……. which is to say that self forgiveness and moving forward( which is sooooooo hard for addictive people) is at the heart of the problem not as much bc one is an addict , but bc it involves using stratagies not known nor ever practiced by the addict whose practice of hiding is so natural and seemingly so protective to him/her. Again I appreciate your openness and exposed vulnerability bc it teaches addicts that vulnerability is acceptable and even necessary to healing …. as well as living!

15. Virginia

Wow, what a vlog! Totally inspiring and as always, authentic and from the heart and soul and that amazing mind.
    I know I can’t be perfect at this, and my veganism of this past year, but by golly, I’m at that 87% too of late. I’d begin to wobble a little in my mind and in actuality. There is something a little scary about going off, and I think it has to do with our experiences of how vearing an inch ends in a mile. That without Resume skills there is inevitable failure. It’s so obvious now that you state it and isolate this as a very specific and absolutely CRITICAL skill.
    So much easier to get back on when the body chemistry is not wrecked by continuing off track eating after a transgression.

16. Teri Milner

Susan, I don’t know how you do it, but your topics are usually just what I need, that week and that day!! I discovered your Bright Lights Eating on 8/15/15, and have been following them ever since. For a lot of reasons I could not join the boot camp, but have been following and changing along the way. On Tuesday I reached 15.4 lbs in weight loss, yay!! Well, before I had gone to my WW meeting (the framework I am using for my BLE) I had a dr. appt checkup for my blood pressure and sugar. She was overjoyed with my progress and was very impressed with what I told her I have learned through you (writing down your website to get more info).

Well, yesterday I got my test results. While all my other blood panel was great, my A1C was still at 5.7. I was sooooo discouraged, against everything my brain was screaming at me, I ate some chocolate and not just a little either, I think it was about 6 of 8 miniature candy bars left over from Halloween, thinking “what the hell?! i am trying so hard and the damn number didn’t budget one point???!!” After I ate it, I felt physically bad – my heart was racing, my stomach didn’t like it. I quickly drank huge amounts of water trying to flush it out.

And then I sat down and thought, what would Susan tell me to do? First, be kind and don’t beat myself up. Second, get right back on track and don’t look back. I started feeling better after about an hour, kept drinking water and told myself that was an epic fail, because instead of making me feel better, like chocolate used to do, it now makes me feel physically sick. I wish I had opened my email last night to see this video, because I would have had the 4 S’s to further reinforce my recovery and get back on track.

You are amazing, and while not an official BLE lifer, I am committed to your program and look forward to all you will bring to us in the form of books, shows, events, future boot camps etc.

After I stopped shaking from the sugar rush, I sat down and sent my dr. an email, saying i was disappointed in the number, but we would revisit in June, when I plan to be 20-25 lbs lighter. Thank you Susan for all you do!!

17. Philomina

Wow, excellent, powerful, authentic, inspiring and motivating! How the skills and inner tools to simply rezoom are so helpful. Keep up the good job Susan. I have been listening to all your vlogs and each one of them is soooo authentic – there is nothing like being yourself all the time. You have been blessed to be a blessing to me in my career as a (W)holistic Health Coach. Thank you.

18. Karen Gallagher

Hi there, I ran across bright light eating and it sounds wonderful. I was on FA for a year and lost 55 lbs but somehow got off of it. In fact my sponsor had a break and I followed. Is there a charge for bright light eating program and if so how much. Do you get a sponsor like FA? I am 71n years old and want so much to lose the weight I have struggled with for so many years before I die. I don’t have hundreds of pounds like a lot of people but 50 is a lot for me. I cannot fit into my big clothes and cannot afford new ones and will not buy them if I had the money. I am single at this age and probably because no one wants a fat gal. Money is very very tight. Pleas help me Susan.

Merry Christmas,
    Karen

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Karen,

Keep opening my emails. And if you need help with anything, just email support@brightlineeating.com and ask.

Love you.
      Susan

19. Pam

Thank you Susan for your vlogs. I so connected to this one especially the isolation felt in food addition. You connect so well with out doing a song and dance and one two punch routine! Thank you for sharing so many useful guidelines to help us on our journey to being healthy physically and mentally.
    Pam

20. Sheryl

Thank you Susan Pierce Thompson for this heart-felt, honest and inspirational Vlog. This Vlog and the last Bright Lifers Conference Call have truly struck a chord with me. I think I spent half of the Call crying when you shared your own personal struggle during November and breaking the Bright Lines but then getting back on track and rezooming your no flour/no sugar bright lines. I have struggled with maintaining Bright Lines since Week 2 of the October Boot Camp and felt like a failure, and I was embarrassed to admit online that I was struggling (yes, my food addiction is a disease of isolation!). My Evil Twin came out screaming like a wild banchee and taming her has been my lesson to be learned. And after the Dr. Ritamarie seminar and finding that my blood glucose reading of 108 was in the prediabetic range, I now feel much stronger. As of this morning and maintaining the no flour/no sugar bright lines for two weeks, my glucose reading was 82. There are no words to describe how thankful I am for finding you and the Bright Line Eating Program. And please continue being You!! This honesty, encouragement, and support are just what I needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! And I am putting the 4 S’s on a card on my refrigerator as a daily reminder.

21. Emily MT

Your vlogs always speak to a deep part of me, often a part that I’ve been neglecting or rejecting. Regarding “Perfection”, I’ve read that great artists often feel that their artworks aren’t complete or they see imperfection, when the rest of us are celebrating them as masterpieces, and their creators as geniuses.

22. Bridget

This blog brought me to tears. I have been struggling so badly since thanksgiving. I even sent Jan a message asking how to get a refund because I figured that BLE must just not be for me. But listening to this, BLE is for me and I don’t need to be perfect! My health is suffering and I need BLE to help me pull myself together! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! Merry Christmas everyone!

23. Carol

Since you asked…I coined “rezoom” while acting as a house supporter in Healing House during October’s Boot Camp 4. It caught on like wildfire! And then it quickly moved into the other Boot Camp houses, and to Susan… So happy that it now part of BLE vernacular! YAY!! Simply REZOOM. :))

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Carol! The author of “rezoom”!!! So glad to find you!!!
      Rezoom will go down in history…so brilliant…so brilliant.
      Susan

24. Barb

I am honored to be part of your tribe. You have changed my life so profoundly for the better!

25. Sue

Hi Susan. I love all your vlogs, but this is a bit more special than the others. I saw the reaction to your statements on the call and was one of those who sent a message back to you with arms open wide to you. If you share with us it helps us share with others. One thing I would like to know is will I ever be able to hear the call, as it hasn’t appeared on the web page call section. I’ve only just found out there is a Bright Lifers house I have access to and not just the Boot (November) Camp one. If it was only for the Dare to Dream December participants, I understand. However it would be great if someone can confirm this for me, or tell me how I can access it. I shall now have to go and find the “Permission to be Human Action Plan” thank you so much for giving us this programme and all its support. It’s wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

1. Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D.

Sue, you can always email support@brightlineeating.com for help with anything at all. Yes, there is a Bright Lifers page, and yes, that call is posted there. Love you.

26. Terra

So brilliant.

27. Diane

What an amazing and timely message for us. I gave myself permission to have some Christmas treats two weekends ago when my sisters and I got together to make our annual goodies. I successfully made treats without tasting for 1-1/2 days then told myself I could have a couple of things. After I ate them my brain would not let go of it and all I thought about was those treats and having more of them. I ended up eating treats for 2 days then told myself that I couldn’t have anymore. It took me 3 days to get them out of my brain where I no longer thought about or craved them. The sad thing is that I didn’t really even enjoy them as I was consuming them. In the past that would have been the end of the “diet” and I would slowly regain all the weight that I lost. But this is different and I did just simply rezoom and my body is breathing a sigh of relief. I hated that I lost the “free” part of happy, thin and free. Thank you Susan for admitting that you also struggle at times. It’s your humility and honesty that resonates so much with our whole group. Your perfection is not something that most of us could attain (at least not right now), so to know that you are not perfect takes a lot of pressure off. I almost didn’t sign up in the beginning because I wondered how I could do BLE the rest of my life. With this message from you, I now know that I don’t have to be perfect and I don’t have to give it all up. Instead I can be unstoppable and simply REZOOM! Thank you with all my heart!!!

28. Celeste Magers

Susan – Thank you so much for this vlog. I prefer for you to be real, not “perfect.” I was raised by “perfect” parents and have a “perfect” doctor advising me about what to eat (and they are “perfect” pretenders). And for years, I acted out the “perfect” routine too, thinking I had to do that to be loved. These “perfect” people have the “just do it” message, and claim to have never experienced anything like my struggle. So they aren’t helpful at all. So thanks for being imperfect and actually giving me some useful tools and support.

29. carolyn

Hi I just listen to the Vlog and read all the comments and now I can only remember number 4 of the 4’s. That is SUPPORT. I should of written them down. I do have support from my family and friend’s but when I’m hungry. I say I don’t know why. I’m just hungry and I want it ! I do get back on tract as I call falling off the wagon. I have lost 25 lbs in 8 months this at times has been a struggle to keep it off but my goal was 50 lbs in 6 months. The Vlog is helpful to keep me thinking positive. Thanks to Susan and all of you who make comments.

30. Rosemary

These are life lessons, not just about eating, Susan. Thank you for your transparency. I wrote to a friend about your vlog:
    I loved this vlog because it applies to life as well as eating. Applies to Karate too ……”We are not called to be perfect we are called to be unstoppable’’…… to re-zoom, no matter any failure – good hey! ( I think it is a sound spiritual principle: a both / and approach to our Divinity and humanity which is happy, loved and free).

31. Kim

Thanks so much. Your timing was perfect that is exactly what I needed to hear.

32. janet

Thank you for your honesty. The fact that you have fallen off and are not perfect – I find — well it’s inspiring that you are able to tell the truth and – your tips on how to carry on with it – Speed – self talk – social support and seeking the lesson – so real and so beautiful your honesty. This seems promising to me. I’m looking into this more. Thank you Susan.

33. Ivy

This vlog was pure revelation for me. Thank you, Susan!

34. Gaby

Hi Susan!
    I’ve been watching you and reading your posts for many and many months. I guess you must get many comments like this, but i came here today after so long, only because you really touch me with everything you say. I’ve learned so much with you, and this video touched me so much. Because i did look for a 12 step program, which was a really hard decision to make, and i didn’t have a good experience, exactly like you didn’t have when you went for the first time.
    I tought i didn’t have anything else to try, and felt pretty alone. I’ve lost 95 pounds in 2014 and gained 37 pounds back in 6 months. I was “using” bright line eating, without knowing, and to worked so well. When I started eating again, and it’s been only 6 months, it all came back like I have never been strong in my life.
    Anyway, sorry for writing so much, but I felt like I can have some hope again. And someday live with more forgiveness, acceptance and gratitude again. I just wanted you to know I’m very thankful for that.

Thank you so much, kisses from Brazil.

35. Paula

Wow! This vlog is probably my favorite one yet! So touching and blatantly authentic. Susan you have a gift and I thank you for sharing it with the world!

36. Sue

Hello Susan, I am loving BLE, lost a stone in 5 weeks! , my Mum is inspired. She is a spiritedly , fit 80 year old, but has Diabetes type 2, and injects insulin three times a day., plus metformin tablets, and thyroxin. She found her levels went too low when she tried BLE, so she couldnt drive. What ways would you suggest she changes the BLE plan to work for her? She added rice with her lunch today and that seemed to help. Love and joy to you x

37. FirstTracie

I have noticed you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: Mrdalekjd methods
    for $$$